Building a fairly odd power

DrBalloon

How would I modify Possession to do the following?

a) Share physical powers with the host

B) Retain co-existence even when they make a save against a command (the character is a collectively sentient disease)

c) Limit control so all but one host are manipulated en masse, not individually, and not on a combat time scale.

I'm pretty sure the conscious and subtle modifiers from mind control would be in use, so my victims would remain aware and going about their lives when I'm not setting up appointments or arranging for them to move stuff around in preparation for some plan.

The character would have, at any one time, a single primary body that would be the person playing the villain role, and under the disease's direct control.

This is the sort of villain who engineers seemingly spontaneous song & dance routines breaking out. This is the sort of villain who goes after people's dignity, not their wallets, and does performance art and clown shows through the people it has infected.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B) Retain co-existence even when they make a save against a command (the character is a collectively sentient disease)

c) Limit control so all but one host are manipulated en masse, not individually, and not on a combat time scale.

I'm pretty sure the conscious and subtle modifiers from mind control would be in use, so my victims would remain aware and going about their lives when I'm not setting up appointments or arranging for them to move stuff around in preparation for some plan.

The character would have, at any one time, a single primary body that would be the person playing the villain role, and under the disease's direct control.

This is the sort of villain who engineers seemingly spontaneous song & dance routines breaking out. This is the sort of villain who goes after people's dignity, not their wallets, and does performance art and clown shows through the people it has infected.

Alright, I think I have some ideas for this.

First off, you already have access to all of a Possessed person's powers with a physical discriptor, so there's no problem there. You, however, can only use mental powers while possessing a person. No way around it. However, if you change your powers so that they have a mental discriptor, (like, say, if you tacked on the Alternate Save (Will) extra) then you could use them.

For the second, you're out of luck. Being able to keep control after a successful save would make the power a game-breaker, and it's powerful enough already.

And the third... I'm slightly unclear about. I know you can set up a "group mind" by adding on the Area extra. You might also want to look at the Contagious extra, if you are trying to simulate a disease.

(BTW, very cool idea for a character. :))

First off, you already have access to all of a Possessed person's powers with a physical discriptor, so there's no problem there. You, however, can only use mental powers while possessing a person. No way around it. However, if you change your powers so that they have a mental discriptor, (like, say, if you tacked on the Alternate Save (Will) extra) then you could use them.

For the second, you're out of luck. Being able to keep control after a successful save would make the power a game-breaker, and it's powerful enough already.

And the third... I'm slightly unclear about. I know you can set up a "group mind" by adding on the Area extra. You might also want to look at the Contagious extra, if you are trying to simulate a disease.

So in order to, say, re-build my hosts from the inside to produce theatrical special effects, I'd buy Shapechange, put Alternate Save (Will) and Subtle on it, and apply a limitation so it takes hours or days to move the points around?

And to keep my hosts safe, use the True Resurrection form of Regeneration with Alternate Save (Will), only operating if they get killed while doing one of my stunts? I.e. Mike the biker gets blown sky high when the trick airbag in the seat of his Harley is set off, but I'm keeping his mind safe and rebuild him alive and well afterwards.

So in order to, say, re-build my hosts from the inside to produce theatrical special effects, I'd buy Shapechange, put Alternate Save (Will) and Subtle on it, and apply a limitation so it takes hours or days to move the points around?

And to keep my hosts safe, use the True Resurrection form of Regeneration with Alternate Save (Will), only operating if they get killed while doing one of my stunts? I.e. Mike the biker gets blown sky high when the trick airbag in the seat of his Harley is set off, but I'm keeping his mind safe and rebuild him alive and well afterwards.

Unfortunatly, that doesn't work. Not mechanically, of course - you're on solid ground there. But no GM is going to allow you to have a attack Shapechange with a Will save attached to it. That's reserved for Mental Transforms. If you're trying to Shapechange people against their will, though, I would suggest looking at Mutate - pg 175 on the Ultimate Power book. If you are unlucky enough to be without it, the power is essentially a combat Transform at 4 points per rank. You can add both the Disease and Contagious extras to it, but both are going to be Fortitude based. Sorry, but like I said before, Possession's rough enough without the ability to mess people up from the inside.

Again, that's not possible. I was thinking you'd do something with perhaps a "mental outrigger system". Hijack a guy, up his brainpower to psychic levels, then mindhack others. What you're descibing really does require Fortitude saves. You can still rebuild somebody after they get blowed up with the Resurrection power, just not as a part of them.

Unfortunatly, that doesn't work. Not mechanically, of course - you're on solid ground there. But no GM is going to allow you to have a attack Shapechange with a Will save attached to it. That's reserved for Mental Transforms. If you're trying to Shapechange people against their will, though, I would suggest looking at Mutate - pg 175 on the Ultimate Power book. If you are unlucky enough to be without it, the power is essentially a combat Transform at 4 points per rank. You can add both the Disease and Contagious extras to it, but both are going to be Fortitude based. Sorry, but like I said before, Possession's rough enough without the ability to mess people up from the inside.

Again, that's not possible. I was thinking you'd do something with perhaps a "mental outrigger system". Hijack a guy, up his brainpower to psychic levels, then mindhack others. What you're descibing really does require Fortitude saves. You can still rebuild somebody after they get blowed up with the Resurrection power, just not as a part of them.

Hmm. Perhaps I'm approaching it from the wrong tack.

A Transform, combined with Summon Minion that adds 5-7 PLs onto the target, up to a max of PL10 (so a typical bystander on the street could get 7 PLs worth of comedy powers, and infecting the police commissioner could inflict 5 PLs worth on top of his normal traits)?

Again, with limited control and taking plenty of time for it to work. I don't want this character to even be effective in normal combat, much less a combat monster. Filling a sleazy attorney up with helium and flying him over a used car dealership for a sale would be more in his line - with a punchline of Pop Goes the Weasel if the sale ends before some hero figures the trick out and rescues the man.

A Transform, combined with Summon Minion that adds 5-7 PLs onto the target, up to a max of PL10 (so a typical bystander on the street could get 7 PLs worth of comedy powers, and infecting the police commissioner could inflict 5 PLs worth on top of his normal traits)?

Again, with limited control and taking plenty of time for it to work. I don't want this character to even be effective in normal combat, much less a combat monster. Filling a sleazy attorney up with helium and flying him over a used car dealership for a sale would be more in his line - with a punchline of Pop Goes the Weasel if the sale ends before some hero figures the trick out and rescues the man.

Okay, we're getting there. Transform will not jack up PL, but there is a power known as Empowerment which will allow you to do a little something like that. It allows you to grant powers at 6 points per rank. That, along with a Linked Mutate effect, will let you do almost anything. Unfortunately, (are you getting as tired of me saying that as I am of saying it?) you cannot artificially raise PL, no matter what. It's a big no-no in M&M. The Mutate will get you most of the effects you want.

BTW, I'm envisioning your character as a kindler, gentler Joker mixed in with Mr. Myxlplyx. Close? :)

Okay, we're getting there. Transform will not jack up PL, but there is a power known as Empowerment which will allow you to do a little something like that. It allows you to grant powers at 6 points per rank. That, along with a Linked Mutate effect, will let you do almost anything. Unfortunately, (are you getting as tired of me saying that as I am of saying it?) you cannot artificially raise PL, no matter what. It's a big no-no in M&M. The Mutate will get you most of the effects you want.

BTW, I'm envisioning your character as a kindler, gentler Joker mixed in with Mr. Myxlplyx. Close? :)

I can definitely recommend Ultimate Power, since at least for me it taught me how powers are put together. The "new" powers in Chapter 3 can also work as an exercise in the scope of what you can do with Feats, Extras and Flaws when applied to a power. I'd quote examples if I had the book, but going by memory:

"Stop Time" is a power in Ultimate Power, but I think it's built as an Area Effect Snare that also affects objects. No doubt someone will correct me if I've not got the mechanics right, but hopefully my point is that I'm backing up what Veiled Malice said above: you can construct pretty much any power from the ones listed in the core book.