Blood Control?

Thinking up ideas for a PL6 villain when I wondered how to make this work.

Was thinking using water control as a base with a (-1) drawback for spilled blood only. Perhaps even only the villain's own blood. Thoughts?

At first glance, I would think that spilled blood is so rare in our game that it is probably worth more than a -1 Flaw.

I was thinking it'd be a power drawback or perhaps a power loss drawback. Since they can always just pull out a switchblade and cut themselves.

I thought it'd be hilarious to match that with an upbeat, satiric type of personality

But what good would that do you? Water Control (or Blood Control) is simply Move Object with the Limited Material Flaw. So you cut yourself and drained out a pint of blood. What are you going to do with it? You can move it around . . . to what end?

Blood Control is actually a power listed for a character in Time of Vengeance!

The base effect is.... unlisted :oops: (The author, when asked on the ATT, says it's a typo, should be listed as Life Control.)

So the base effect of blood control could be Nauseate.

Alternate powers listed on it are: Drain All Ability Scores (induce stroke), Fatigue (slow blood flow), Stun (spike blood pressure), Suffocate (stop blood flow), and Transform (water to blood, which is really more an "EW!" thing than a combat thing, unless you're facing Aquaman or something).

There's also a character in the Champions RPG (revised/5E), Bloodstone, who is a "haemokinetic" (blood controller). He can make it ooze out a person's pores (a Continuous Alt Save/Fort Damage effect), increase the temperature of blood to make it boil a person from the inside out (an Alt Save/Fort Damage effect), "corrupt" blood (causing a target so much pain they cannot move -- Paralyze), and animate his own blood as a horrible "whip" (statted as a very short range Blast [or Strike with Extended Reach], with a Side Effect of damaging the user whenever the power is first activated in a given scene). A "plot seed" idea for Bloodstone involves him learning to use his powers to control the minds of vampires (Mind Control, Limited to Vampires only) and assembling a lil' gang of bloodsuckers. He also has a Smell Blood power, essentially Super-Senses 6 (Accurate Radius Tracking Detect Blood [olfactory]).

The "blood whip" reminds me of a spell from some D&D 3.5 book that makes the leaking blood & damaged flesh of an injured character animate and batter the character. A Damage effect with a Limit to only affecting targets who're suffering from bleeding wounds (I'd say Limit due to the rarity of actual bleeding that is seen here, as Barnum says).

oooh I like that bloodstone character..may have to go off and buy the book to look at. I had been thinking of making the default a nauseate and including a dazzle (blind, essentially throwing blood into their face), strike (forming small daggers out of own blood), blast (either throwing knives or something else again formed from blood), and I like almost all of the ones from bloodstone *plots plots plots*

I was thinking she could make a sort of 'razor-wire' from blood, causing it to move quick enough to slice through stone and metal..and skin. The transform water-blood could give her a move/create objects effect too perhaps or..something. still conjuring up ideas/scrapping ideas

oooh I like that bloodstone character..may have to go off and buy the book to look at.

He's in Conquerors, Killers and Crooks, a big book o' enemies for the Champions setting of the HERO System 5E RPG.

I had been thinking of making the default a nauseate and including a dazzle (blind, essentially throwing blood into their face), strike (forming small daggers out of own blood), blast (either throwing knives or something else again formed from blood), and I like almost all of the ones from bloodstone *plots plots plots*

I was thinking she could make a sort of 'razor-wire' from blood, causing it to move quick enough to slice through stone and metal..and skin. The transform water-blood could give her a move/create objects effect too perhaps or..something. still conjuring up ideas/scrapping ideas

A Visual Dazzle need not be "throwing blood at someone's face", it can be "increase blood pressure around the eyes 'till they hemorrhage". Same goes for an Auditory Dazzle, increasing blood pressure around the ears so all they can hear is the sound of their own bloodlfow.

I'm not sure the "oozing blood from pores" thing would be allowed, as I'm not sure if the board allows Sustained or Continuous Damage effects.

And for a more direct "Control Blood" power, that could just be Move Objects/Telekinesis, Limited to only affecting things with blood in them (though that may instead be just a Drawback).

I'm not sure the "oozing blood from pores" thing would be allowed, as I'm not sure if the board allows Sustained or Continuous Damage effects.

And it may run afoul of our PG (Saturday morning cartoon) rating, if not handled properly.

And for a more direct "Control Blood" power, that could just be Move Objects/Telekinesis, Limited to only affecting things with blood in them (though that may instead be just a Drawback).

For me it would depend on the power. With most damaging powers "Limited to things with blood" is roughly the equivalent of "Doesn't affect objects or plants or constructs." I think that would be worth a -1 Flaw. But again, it depends on the power.

For me it would depend on the power. With most damaging powers "Limited to things with blood" is roughly the equivalent of "Doesn't affect objects or plants or constructs." I think that would be worth a -1 Flaw. But again, it depends on the power.

For Move Object/TK, I think it'd be a -1 Flaw. (Though there are some constructs he could affect: corporeal non-skeletal undead. :twisted: )

One thing I'd include in a "Blood Control" array would be something like this

Physiological Overload [Damage, Range: Perception [+2 Extra], Alternate Save: Fortitude [+1 Extra] (4pp/rank)

A bit expensive, but would be rather nasty, and appropriate. It's not like a Forcefield or armour plating is going to help when someone's messing about with your internal bodily functions.

How does this array look?

Haemokinetic Array [30pp]

Life Control [default] (4pp/rank+6) Rank 6 [24ap]

Heart Attack AP: Paralyze (3pp/rank-1) Rank 6

Extra: Range (+1), Alternate (Fort) Save (+0)

DB: Limited: Only use Organic creatures (-1)

Boiling Blood AP: Damage (4pp/rank-1) Rank 6

Extra: Range[Perception] (+2), Alternate [Fort] Save (+1)

Blood Whip AP: Blast (3pp/rank-1) Rank 6

Extra: Penetrating (+1)

DB: Power Loss: Must be able to use hands/draw blood from self. Even a scratch isa sufficient amount (-1)

Alien Blood AP: Acid (4pp/rank-1) Rank 6

Extra: Range (+1)

DB: Power Loss: Must be able to use hands/draw blood from self. Even a scratch is a sufficient amount (-1)

Eyebite AP: Dazzle[visual, auditory] (3pp/rank-1) Rank 6

DB: Limited: Only creatures with blood (-1)

Blood Control AP: Move Objects (2pp/rank) Rank 10

Extra: Range [Perception] (+1)

Flaw: Limited: Only creatures with blood (-1)

EDIT: I added in the acid because it's just too funny to imagine someone cutting themselves open, projecting the blood outward onto someone to burn them and going 'I saw this on a movie."

Heart Attack AP: Paralyze (3pp/rank-1) Rank 6

Extra: Range (+1), Alternate (Fort) Save (+0)

Boiling Blood AP: Damage (4pp/rank-1) Rank 6

Extra: Range[Perception] (+2), Alternate [Fort] Save (+1)

This is a good example of what I meant when I said, "It depends." I'm not sure that the limited on this power is worth a -1 Flaw. Maybe. How many inorganic things are there that you might use this power on that have a Fort save? I'm not sure that this will be much of a limitation. But I could be wrong.

She's listing it as a 1pt DrawBack and not a full Flaw.

Gotcha! I overlooked the "DB" and saw the "Limited." Didn't do the math. :oops:

It is almost certainly worth more than 1 pt IMO. Probably 3 pts. I'm guessing that it could come up about once per story/thread.

I would change "Organic creatures" to "Organic creatures with blood" (value's the same, just clarifying the viable targets). The "heart attack" thing should work on, say, Colossus in his normal form, but not when he's in his "Organic Metal" form (which, according to some writers/artists, doesn't have blood). And it shouldn't work on Clayface (the DCAU version) or Morph (Exiles version) or Plastic Man or the Ultimate version of Reed Richards, since, while they are organic beings, they do not have blood (or even discrete organs).

Yea I just forgot to change it to say organic creatures with blood ^^ just a typo.

As for what how much the DB is worth, it doesn't matter too much since the base power is higher then the rest so there's alot of free AP floating about on 'em. I didn't think it warranted a full flaw thus the DB.

• 3 weeks later...