A tale of two Riff's

Seattle, Washington State, United States

Another Earth, 2nd May 2010, 15:30 PST

Whilst Riff hadn’t been on this alternative Earth long he had already had a sense of things being different, right from the start when he’d met Headmistress Jasmine Summers on his arrival to this worlds Claremont. It had meant to be a simple visit delivering an item between Head’s, instead Rift had been drafted into helping them deal with a problem.

Within the hour he been coerced into journeying to Seattle, it wasn’t clear if this world had a  version of his team instead he had been bundled quickly off of the campus with a young woman  he’d never met before.

The young Hispanic woman had introduced herself as Malena Simmons, or as she said with a little pride Patriota. She was dressed in a black sleeveless jumpsuit cut off at the knees, which showed off her athletic physique, unadorned apart from a large white Star across her chest. Over the top of that she wore a short white jacket only barely more practical that the pouches that were now out of fashion.

As they waited for the transport to arrive in the city she played with a ArchePod apparently setting up a playlist for there mission.

Edited by Tiffany Korta

Riff quietly twisted the machine head of his guitar, still a little high strung by what was happening. First time jumping dimensions on his own and already he was being dragged into some sort of crisis right out of the blue. He made a note somewhere in the back of his mind to be more careful about accepting offers from Summers in the future. At least they gave him time to get his coat and mask on before heading out with Patriota.

"Um, Soooo..." Warren began as he put his guitar over his shoulder. "Everyones been kinda light on details since I got here. Any idea whats going on exactly?" He asked as nicely as he could. 

ASTRO Lab’s Seattle, Washington State, United States,

Earth-Prime, 2nd May 2015, 15:30 PST

“There a Rift forming inside the Space Needle, and it matches the Quantum Signature of one you’re on record as visiting around five years ago.” the young Hispanic woman Dr. Maddie Joyce wore a Lab Coat over a black t-shirt with a prominent White Star and despite the weather a pair of shorts.

“Do you have any idea why?”

Another World

“Someone using the Space Needle to form a portal from this world to another, and the reading from the other side look like it’s the world you just left. The headmistress thought you’d like to help us stop whoever doing this.”

Malena gave a shrug and returned to her playlist, obviously not so bother if Riff wanted to help or not.

Edited by Tiffany Korta

Modern

Warren looked puzzled, reading into what was being shown to the Rockstar. "Sorry Doc. Drawing a bit of a blank here." He finally said with a shrug. "It was a while back and I don't remember much." Truth be told, as far as he could remember it was one of least eventful trips. He had no idea what was going on...

Teen

Riff signed. "Portals, Not a good sign." He started adjusting his gloves, nervousness still crawling through him. Some part of him would not be surprised if this was some weird plot by the Maestro to ambush him without Eddie or the new team to back him up. Or maybe that Evil Jerk version from Anti-Earth looking for some revenge. Though last time he checked he was not on Earth Prime. He hated unknowns but he was going to have to work through this.

Earth-Prime, Modern Riff

The young Doctor went over to a large window of the building which over looked much of Seattle skyline, including the Needle itself. She squinted against the sun at the Needle trying to make out some detail or other, after a few second she gestured for Riff to join her.

“Whilst you don’t remember it I think whoevers on the other side is coming to visit whether you if you like it or not. Something is definitely happening at the Needle.”

Around the tower at top of the Space Needle a strange purple nimbus of light was forming, faint now but apparently slowly growing in power.

“I think we should go give you old friend a little visit.”

Another Earth, Teenage Riff

The craft they were in did a circuit around the tower as it looked for a good spot to land, casting the inside of the vehicle with a strange purple light. The entire tower was bathed in a purple aura of light that seemed to pulse with energy. Around the top or the tower purple electricity sparked between the tower at the top of the circular structure below. Strangely whilst the rest of the city was overcast the spot directly above the tower was clear and sunny.

“We'll be landing in just a minute, then we can find out exactly who’s doing all this.”

Modern

"Guess we should." Warren said with a faint shrug, trying his best to figure out what the hell another dimension would want with him. He finally agreed as he reached down to his guitar case and opened it. "Did you bring any backup just in case who or what comes over isn't interested in being friends?" He asked the scientist has he got his guitar out and ready. He wouldn't be surprised if there was none, he was use to working solo these days.

Teen

"What is it with holes in the fabric of reality and the colour purple?" Riff thought out loud as he peered from the window of the transport. He started cracking his knuckles while looking over at Malena. "First time dealing with Dimensional stuff like this?"

Earth-Prime, Modern Riff

Maddie swapped her lab coat for a short denim jacket and grabbed some kind of device from a table.

“I got nothing arranged so far until we know more this is just a fact finding mission. If thing get really serious we can always call in support from Emerald City.” from her voice she sounded fairly confident that nothing dangerous was about to happen.

“Beside I’m pretty sure we can close the rift without any problems.”

Another-Earth, Teenage Riff

Malena eye’s narrow and she shot Riff a look as if he’d accused her entire family of treason, or worse.

“You have nothing to worry about I’m more than capable of handling myself if trouble starts.”

Thankfully before she could go into any more detail the transport landed with a clunk and the rear ramp began to descend.

“The two of us should be able to sort out the rift without any problems, as long as you listen to my direction.”

Edited by Tiffany Korta

Modern

"So its questions and tricorders? Sounds great." Warren said with a smile. He made a few quick checks to his guitar before slinging it over his back. "Ready when you are."

Teen

Riff raised his hands and backed off a little. "Sorry, just asking." Clearly he was dealing with someone thats taking the idea of Legacy really seriously. He vaguely recalled someone called Patriot in history class, so it would explain a lot. He took a deep breath when he heard her continue. "Sure." 

What have I gotten myself into?
 The thought entered his mind just as light started to stream in from the craft. 

Edited by Darksider42

Another-World, Teenage Riff

Patriota put on her ArchePod some high energetic songs, or bee’s in a tin from Riff’s point of view, but nothing that appealed to the young rock hero.

Descending from the transports ramp the pair saw an almost normal street scene, though much of the traffic had ground to a halt to watch what was happening at the Space Needle. The overcast sky however seemed to have a strange purple pink tinge to it that seemed to peminate the air around them.

Earth-Prime, Modern Riff

Maddie stopped a block or two from the Needle to point out something to Riff.

“Look can you see it? You have to squint a little but it’s there.”

Indeed with a little effort Riff could see that there was a faint image of some kind of dome forming around the Needle.

“Someone’s trying to merge one universe over the other, this could be bad really, really bad.”

She mimed a explosion with her hand to illustrate exactly what could happen.

Teen

Riff couldn't help but feel a little awed by what he was seeing. Seeing a rift in space up close was not something he was expecting when he woke up this morning. "So, Now what?"

Modern

Warren sighed a little. "So much for scans..." He thought as he started switching on his guitar. "Got a plan doc? Stopping an alternate universe superimposing itself on our reality is not something I studied for in high school" He never dealt with this sort of thing since highschool and those events were rare.

Earth-Prime, Modern Riff

“Very few study dimensional sciences it’s difficult to get practical data, most Superheroes aren't scientist and those that do don’t like to share their data.” there was more a hint of frustration in her voice rather than anger. “But watch what happens when things cross the event horizon, don’t worry everyone will be fine for now.”

A taxi rumbled down the road an advertisement on the side for the new bio-doc about Kurt Cobain as it passed the fuzzy purple barrier, obviously unaware of the thing, it passed through. For a few second the taxi seemed almost frozen before carrying on as before, on it’s side now was a advert for a new album by Nirvana, one Riff had never heard off. The people inside the cab seemed unaffected and unaware of what had just happened

“Okay I adjust my previous statement this will be really really bad. Someone is trying to overwrite their reality over the top of our, and it seem it’s slower. That going to cause a massive energy release, maybe enough to level most of Seattle. We need to go in there and shut down the device before things go too far.”

Modern

"You'd think after all the dimensional incidents that happen, scientific curiosity on the subject would rise." Warren agreed just as he watched reality change before him. He did admit, he was curious as to what a Nirvana album from this year would sound like. It was a pity he did not have the Luxury to find out. He looked over at the Space Needle and squinted at it, trying to make out whatever other details from it. "If time is a thing we don't have much of, I could fly us up there and we could find the source before everyone gets vaporised." He said, pointing up at the top of the structure. 

Another Earth, Teenage Riff

Malena gave Riff a withering look like he was some kind of idiot.

“Well go up there.” she pointed up to the top of the Space Needle “Beat up whoever is operating the device and shut it down. Possibly by punching things.”

Obviously whilst she must be a capable fighter she didn’t have an overly nuanced idea of tactics.

“And we might have some help on the way, though that purple barrier makes thing difficult to make out properly.”

She pointed to two fuzzy figures just the other side of the barrier, why did they look vaguely familiar?

Teen

Riff rolled his eyes and held his hand close to his ear. Closing his eyes, the guitarist constrained as he focused on the building with his superhuman hearing. "Hm...Hearing some machinery up there...Only one guy up there as far as I can tell. Sounds German." He shrugged as he let his arm fall to his side. "Not picking up any hostages. So long as he has no surprises your plan might-" He was interrupted by the announced arrivals of others. He squinted as he tried to make out details of those on the other side. His own sonar hearing was not getting through. Something about this felt...Off. He slowly gripped the neck of his guitar and waited to see what was going to happen.

Earth-Prime, Modern Riff

“Lot’s of curiosity very little actual know about how things work, problem is there only one way to find out about other dimensions is to visit them.”  Maddie gave a little shrug towards Riff “Best not to fly until we’re at the center, it’s difficult to see the event horizon and we don’t want the strain to cross the boundary to much.”

With that she stepped through the boundary not giving Riff any time to react. It seemed this time it took a fraction longer to cross into the other world and when she moved she was slightly slowed like a video at the wrong speed. Unlike the cab though she seemed unaltered by crossing into the other Earth.

Modern

"Well, if you say so Doc." Warren said. He looked a little concerned as he observed her crossing realities. It was still a surreal experience. He still felt nervous as he started to approach the anomaly. From what he could remember this Dimension spat him back out before he ever had the chance to so much as look on the other side. The question remained if it would do that to him now if he attempted to cross that threshold.

Slowly taking a breath, the rock star stepped forward and hoped he was not going to be spat back out.

Another Earth, Everyone
It was to be expected really if the whole world was parallel you would expect them to have duplicates of yourselves. And that those people would be doing roughly the same things and be at the same place, it was still a little disconcerting to actually see yourself especially when there was apparently an age difference.

“Well damn.” Maddie/Malena said in perfect uniform “Should one of you have a goatee or something?” Maddie added with a smile. Malena just scowled, obviously they didn’t share a sense of humor.

Above them there was the almost constant crackle of electricity reminding them all why they were here.

"Whoa." Both Riffs said i unison the moment they saw each other. "Well ok then. I was hoping for backup but...Wasn't expecting this." the older one said as he looked over the two heroes.

The younger Riff gave both of the new arrivals a quick look over. "No goatees or blood splattered designs so neither of you seem to be from Anti-Earth. I think we should be alright." He said as he lowered his hand from the guitars neck. He was already starting to like this scientist version of his partner a lot more than this universes one. 

"So, you guys know who's the one screwing with reality?" "From the sounds of it a german scientist. Think there is only one of him."  Warren paused as he looked at his younger counterpart "...Your Doktor Archvile an insane megalomaniac here?" He asked.

Riff shrugged. "I dunno. But we should get moving before something bad happens. Plus the bands got practice today."

Edited by Darksider42

Maddy walked around her double in what was almost a classic when visiting a duplicate, whilst she was apparently enjoying all this she was also observing everything that was going on.

“Did you notice our doubles are slightly younger than we ourselves? I’ve always wanted to ask this, Maddy what year is it?”

“Malena and it’s 2nd May 2010.”

“So it’s exactly five years difference, world with different time flow have been theorised but few have been visited. It’s the difference in time flow that’s causing pressure on reality.

Whilst Malena might be a bruiser she was in no way stupid and was quickly coming to terms with her differently named duplicate.

“Has any of this go to do with him come here from another Earth?” she pointed to the younger of the two Riff’s.

• 4 months later...

"Hey, I just got sent here by Summers from Prime. No idea someone would want to start screwing with the space-time continuum at the same time." Riff said, before looking at the tower again with a glare. "Mad scientists have bad timing."

Warren paused, eyebrow raised. "Uh huh... Anyway, we should go up and stop whatever is going on up there before the city implodes or something." The rockstar was not entirely sure what to make of his younger counterpart, but at the moment he was starting to feel more tense as they stood there talking. He looked at the younger girl before him. "So, up for punching people in the face and saving the world?"

Edited by Darksider42

Maddy eye’s seemed to light up at teen-Riff’s statement right now she was living her life's work, and despite the danger enjoying every moment.

Wow I think we actually have a world just after it’s point of divergence this could give us undreamt of data about the multiverse...”

“Maybe you could think about this after we’ve stopped everything going boom?” Malena interrupted her double “I think we should start by stopping the insane inventor first. So inside or outside?” she pointed toward the Needle towering above them.

Riff nodded as he looked away from the Needle and back to the team. "Yeah I'm with her doctor. We can study this stuff when we aren't in crisis mode." He looked over to his older self and nodded. "So, what the game plan for this?"

Warren nodded. "I'd so go inside. Not all of us can fly as far as I can tell." The rockstar said as he strummed his guitar and checked the tone. Seemingly satisfied he started making his way to the tower. "C'mon, lets get going."

Edited by Darksider42
  • 2 weeks later...

The little group of travelers made their way inside the Space Needle’s ground level, full of shops and restaurants everything being abandoned mid action, giving the place a strange just abandoned feeling. Malena had taken the lead, despite anyone else's disagreement on that point, and stopped in front of the elevator to the top of the Needle.

“The elevator’s would be the quickest way up, but he’s bound to expect us to use it and the small space would be a death trap. Do you think you up to taking the stairs?”

Maddy still studying all the subtle differences of this world quickly replied.

“Well I not as fit as you but I try to keep myself in shape, I’ll be fine.”

“That’s good but I wasn’t asking you!” there was a hint of a smile on her lips, did she actually make some kind of joke?