Unspent PPs: 3

Characters Name: The Norseman, Champion, or The Viking

Alternate Identity: Ullgir Wulfsbane

Height: 8'4"

Weight: 700

Hair: Dirty Blonde, shoulder length. Full Beard, 1-2 inches long

Eyes: Light Blue

Description:

Ullgir is a man of almost overwhelming stature to the average mortal man, standing over 8 feet tall and carrying enough muscle to break a horse in half. Ullgir wears a horned helmet atop his head which hides his features. He wears a chain mail shirt under a metal breastplate. His shoulder armor has white fur around the edges, which also tops off his bear skin boots. His pants are leather, leaving enough room for him to move freely.

History:

Ullgir was born over 1400 years ago, his actual birth date lost in history. When he was born he was initially thought to be the ungodly spawn of a woman and a giant. His mother and father defended their honor but eventually were driven out of the village. Deep in the wilderness, and far from any other human, the family tried to make a life for themselves. They tended the ground as best they could until their boy was old enough to help them.

They could tell early on that there was something more to their son that just being bigger or stronger. He seemed to be given all the opportunities he needed to become a promising warrior. They knew that the Gods would not do for anyone what they would not do for themselves, but giving mortals those opportunities was something the Gods amused themselves with. When these scenarios arrived Ullgir found himself very capable of overcoming any obstacles in front of him. When he came of age to join in the usual summer wars his father had told of him he readily took up arms and left him.

He wandered for a few days, eating what he could off the land until he came to the beach town of Skildfar. He never participated in the wars that year, as his first battle would be his last as Ullgir Wulfsbane. There was a fierce battle being raged forth between the village and warriors from the sea. Taking up his fathers axe and grabbing a shield from the ground he rushed forth to honor his family.

Ullgir before

When the battle was done all lay dead before him, though the last of them had left him mortally wounded. The Gods brought him before them in Asgard as he died. They offered him an option other than entering Valhalla. They would grant him eternal life, to be the champion of the Gods, to earn eternal honor for his people. Ullgir made his decision and from then on was known as the Champion in the medieval days. He was given relics of godly power, representations of the greatest gifts of the gods.

Ullgir After.

He was given 6 items from 6 different gods. Heimdall have him a helmet, giving him the sight that allowed him to protect Asgard thus far. Odin gave him armor, the best from his hall of Valhalla. Thor gave him gauntlets, granting him strength worthy of a God. Balder gave him boots, the kind that allowed him to keep up with the wildlife on the hunt. Tyr gave him a sword of justice, the weapon that in the right hands would keep evil in check. Finally Freya have him an amulet that allowed him to heal those of kindness and good.

Ullgir was told that for every 100 years he stayed awake, the amulet would allow him to sleep in jumps of 200 years. They told him to keep an eye on the world with his helmet as he slept, watching and waking when the need for protection arose. In his last sleeping cycle a powerful magician learned of his location, and not wishing to wake the slumbering giant stole the amulet. With Ullgir's eyes else ware, the magician made quick work and left. Feeling the theft he awoke, but not knowing who was there he could no better find the thief than the descendants of his family.

Over the past 20 years he has be searching the world at large for the lost amulet, knowing full well that the Gods will not do for you what you won't do for yourself. His search providing nothing he turns to Freedom City, in the hopes that while doing what he was sent here to do, some clue might turn up.

Stats: 10pp spent

Str: 20 (+5)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 20 (+5)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 8pp spent (4 ranks of Defense)

Attack: +7 (Melee)/+9 (Sword), -5 (ranged)

Defense: +15/+12 Flat-Footed (+4 Defense, +2 dodge focus, -1 Large = 15)

Initiative: +4

Grapple: Normal =+16 With Gauntlets =+25 Gauntlets and Armor =+43

Saves: 14pp spent (+5 Fort & Reflex, +4 Will)

Toughness: +14 (Impervious & Reflective 9)

Fortitude: +10

Reflex: +5

Will: +15

Skills: 21pp spent (30)

Climb +10 (+15/+37/+82)

Concentration 8 (+9)

Intimidate 15 (+17)

Investegate +10 (+10)

Knowledge Arcane 15 (+15)

Language 2 (Norse is his native language, others are 1) English 2) Russian

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 8 (+8)

Sense Motive +8 (+9)

Feats: 18 pp

All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (melee) 8, Benefit (Wealth 1), Chokehold, Dodge Focus 2, Improved Aim, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers: 84 pp

1) Growth -- Rank 4, +1 Duration (Cont.) -1 Permanent [13pp]

+8 Str, +4 Con, Combat -1, Grapple +4, Stealth -4, Intimidate +2

Power Feat: Innate

2) Immunity -- Rank 2 [2pp]

Age, Disease

3) Regeneration -- Rank 14 [17pp]

Bruised - 3 (No Action) Disabled - 3 (20 Min)

Injured - 6 (No Action)

Staggered - 2 (5 Min)

Power Feats: Diehard, Persistent, Regrowth

4) Helm of Heimdall -- Device Rank 2, Easy to Lose [8pp]

ESP rank 4, Vision only, -1 Feedback 4pp

Enhanced Trait (Will Save) 10, -1 duration (Sustained), 5pp

Alternate Power: ESP rank 5, Vision Only, -1 Feedback 1pp (total of ESP 9)

Power Feats: Restricted 1 (Those chosen by the Gods), Indestructible

5) Armour of Odin -- Device Rank 4, Hard to Lose [18pp]

Forcefield 9 (Impervious 9 & Reflective 9 melee) (-1 Distracting)

Alternate Power: Super Str 18 (-1 Fades)

Alternate Power: Immovable & Unstoppable 9

6) Gauntlets of Thor -- Device Rank 2, Easy to Lose [8pp]

Super-Strength 9 (-1 Fades)

Alternate Power: Shockwave

7) Boots of Balder -- Device Rank 2, Hard to Lose [10pp]

Speed 9

Alternate Power: Leaping 9

8) Sword of Tyr -- Device Rank 2, Easy to Lose [8pp]

Strike 5 (Power Feats: Mighty, Affects Insubstantial, Incurable, Accurate)

Alternate Power: Strike 5 (+1 Auto fire, -1 Full Round) (Power Feats: Mighty, Affects Insubstantial, Incurable, Accurate)

Drawbacks:

1) One Eye (-4 With Ranged Attacks, Common, Moderate, 3pp)

2) Full Power (Sword of Tyr) 1pp

Complications:

Temper -- Something that Hurts him, those who presume to know how his gods would react to things, people who talk bad about his religion, people who refuse to help themselves.

Rivalry -- Captain Wonder (if that's ok), as he is another champion of a pantheon.

Reputation -- For being slightly excessive in his use of force.

Honor -- Will not attack another who is defenseless, will not go back on his word, will not lie on purpose.

Enemy/s -- Shadow, Hades, Jack-a-Knives, The Hellqueen, Malador the Mystic, Superior

Costs: Abilities (10) + Combat (8) + Saves (14) + Skills (21) + Feats (18) + Powers (84) - Drawbacks (04) = 151

I'll be adding the rest when I get home and have my books available.

**Edit 1 -- Adding History**

**Edit 2 -- Enemies, I think I'm done and ready for criticism now**

**Edit 3 -- Finished the edits listed above**

**Edit 4 -- Changed Immunity Mental Effects to Enhanced Trait Will Save**

**Edit 5 -- Made changes list in my last post**

Combat: 16pp spent (melee 8 + defense 4)

Attack: +7/+9 (melee) -- +0 (ranged)

Defense: 15 (Flat-Footed 11)

Grapple: +38/+83

I'm not sure what's going on here. It looks like you bought 8 ranks of Attack Focus (melee) but just didn't list them as feats. Is that correct? And if you did buy 4 ranks of Defense, how did you get "15 (Flat-Footed 11)"? It should be "Defense 14 (Flat-footed 12)." Unless I'm just missing something.

Resurrection - 6 (5 Min) (Electrocuted while fully under water)

I don't think that qualifies as a "Reasonably common effect." Electrocution does. As does drowning. I wouldn't worry about it too much. People around here don't die unless they want to anyway.

4) Helm of Heimdall -- Device Rank 2, Easy to Loose [8pp]

ESP rank 4, Vision only, 4pp

Immunity 10 - Mental Effects, -1 limited half effect, 5pp

Alternate Power: ESP rank 5, Vision Only, 1pp (total of ESP 9)

Visual ESP is 2 PPs per rank.

5) Armour of Odin -- Device Rank 4, Hard to Loose [18pp]

Protection 9 (Impervious 9 & Reflective 9 melee) (-1 Distracting)

Alternate Power: Super Str 18 (-1 Sustained)

Since Protection is a Permanent, Passive effect with no "action," the Distracting flaw isn't really appropriate. Nor can Permanent powers be put into Arrays.

The character I had written down was slightly different that what is on here. I have a nasty habbit of changing something in my head as I go and not writing it down, though the math after the fact would still add up.

For the Attack bonus, that is what I did but as I changed it from normal attack to that I failed to place the feats in the feats section. In addition I took off a point of defense and put on a point for dodge focus, which I also failed to transfer over to the feats section.

I'll switch the death over to drowning.

As far as the ESP power goes, it isn't something I use too often or have had anybody use in one of my games so I got in a rush and failed to see the part about vision being 2 points. I'll counter this, if it's ok, with the feedback modifier.

Lastly, with the array problem, if this is alright, I could remove the -1 from permanent and then drop the duration from continuous to sustained.

If all these are ok, I'll change them. Thanks for the info, didn't know about the no permanent powers in array rule *goes to read up better on arrays* :D

The character I had written down was slightly different that what is on here. I have a nasty habbit of changing something in my head as I go and not writing it down, though the math after the fact would still add up.

For the Attack bonus, that is what I did but as I changed it from normal attack to that I failed to place the feats in the feats section. In addition I took off a point of defense and put on a point for dodge focus, which I also failed to transfer over to the feats section.

I'll switch the death over to drowning.

As far as the ESP power goes, it isn't something I use too often or have had anybody use in one of my games so I got in a rush and failed to see the part about vision being 2 points. I'll counter this, if it's ok, with the feedback modifier.

Lastly, with the array problem, if this is alright, I could remove the -1 from permanent and then drop the duration from continuous to sustained.

If all these are ok, I'll change them. Thanks for the info, didn't know about the no permanent powers in array rule *goes to read up better on arrays* :D

Just go ahead and write up the Sustained Protection as Force Field (since that's what it is) with the appropriate descriptors. Your other changes look fine to me. Write it all up and I'll look over it again before passing it off to a second Ref.

Immunity is a Permanent power, and as was said with Odin's Armor/Protection, Permanent powers cannot be in Arrays.

Forgot that one was there. I changed it from Immunity Mental Effects to Enhanced Trait Will Save.

Combat: 4pp spent (defense 4)

Defense: 15 (Flat-Footed 11) (10+2+4-1)

It still doesn't add up. If you bought 4 ranks of Defense, that's 8 PPs.

2. Also, you need to update the totals for your Feats and the totals at the bottom of the sheet.

Costs: Abilities (10) + Combat (8) + Saves (14) + Skills (10) + Feats (17) + Powers (91) - Drawbacks (04) = 146

3) Regeneration -- Rank 21 [24pp]

Injured - 6 (No Action) Resurrection - 6 (5 Min) (Drowning)

Staggered - 2 (5 Min) True Resurrection - 1 (1 Week)

True Resurrection is an extra bought on Resurrection that means that your "drowning" limitation is moot, but it will cost 6 PPs not 1.

4. I am going to approve them, but I think you will find most of our players and some of our other Refs will find the Sustained Will Save and Super Strength pretty abusive. We have denied some Sustained Traits (Dexterity, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma) because that is no limitation at all. With Super Strength and a Will save, it is some limitation especially since they are in an Array, but don't be surprised if another Ref of the people you will want to play with think it's pretty cheesy . . . 'cause it is. There is nothing in your concept that warrants it. It's looks like you are just trying to find a painless way to get more for less.

True Resurrection is an extra bought on Resurrection that means that your "drowning" limitation is moot, but it will cost 6 PPs not 1.

I think it's ok to buy True Resurrection as a partial extra. He'll either resurrect himself after 5 minutes if he wasn't drowned, or in a week if he was drowned. However, if he's still underwater at that time, I'd say he would considered to be suffering further damage, and wouldn't come back to life.

I concur with your opinion of the Super-Strength APs. I don't see any reason that they need to be flawed down to Sustained. Between the two devices, there's a total of Super-Strength 27, leading to an effective Strength for lifting of 155. That's off the extended carrying chart - enough to juggle two small asteroids. Making it Super-Strength 13 means an effective Strength for lifting of 85, which is enough to lift a nuclear sub (maximum load).

I'm less concerned about the sustained Will save. If the Norseman gets stunned, his Will save drops from +15 to +5, opening him up to a villain's mental attacks. There's a somewhat common situation where going from continuous to sustained works as a drawback.

It looks like you're overspent by 4 pp, though I am not really sure what is going on in the Combat section. The Grapple part in particular confuses me.

I think it's ok to buy True Resurrection as a partial extra. He'll either resurrect himself after 5 minutes if he wasn't drowned, or in a week if he was drowned. However, if he's still underwater at that time, I'd say he would considered to be suffering further damage, and wouldn't come back to life.

I disagree. I don't think for 1 PP you should get the full benefit of the +1 Extra (nothing can kill you permanently) just a little slower (at the rate of the un-Extraed Resurrection). But I don't really care, since it is never going to come up. As I said before, you really don't need to spend any points on Resurrection. No one around here dies unless they want to. :)

It looks like you're overspent by 4 pp, though I am not really sure what is going on in the Combat section. The Grapple part in particular confuses me.

No, as I pointed out in my last post, if he only bought 4 ranks of Defense (8 PPs), then he is four points underspent.

-Attack Focus (Melee) 8 = +7 Attack melee (after the penalty for being large) and +0 Ranged (-4 with his Drawback). His sword is Accurate so that accounts for the +7/+9.

-Dodge Focus 1 + Defense 4 = Defense 15

So that should be:

Costs: Abilities (10) + Combat (8) + Saves (14) + Skills (10) + Feats (17) + Powers (91) - Drawbacks (04) = 146

I was assuming that he really has +7 (melee), +9 (sword), +0 ranged. He would have -5 ranged if all of his attack came from Attack Focus (melee), between the -4 drawback and the -1 size penalty. He also needs two ranks of Dodge Focus and 4 ranks of Defense (or some other mix and match) to get Defense 15, since there's also a -1 penalty to Defense from size. He has the Dodge Focus needed, but the attack side doesn't work out. That's why I said I don't understand his combat section (and the grapple, too, which I get to be +16 base and +43 with the Sustained Super-Strength).

1) If the defense looks wrong to you Barnum, then it probably is. I get screwed up on the defense all the time and between what you said and the 5/6 days passing even I'm confused now and don't know what I did. I'm going to take it back down to start and figure that part out and fix it.

2) I understand that in this game I don't need to buy resurrection because people don't die unless they want to, which is awesome and I commend your game for that. I have it on my sheet because I have it on concept, as with all of the regeneration. A Norseman believes that when they die in battle they go to one of two places, Odin's hall of Valhalla or Freya's hall of Folkvangr. From there they would sit with each other's company and eat and drink their fill. Each morning they would rise and go out to the fighting circle. All day, every fallen warrior would fight, and if they died they would come back to life in their chosen hall and eat and drink again. That is why I have Resurrection, on concept alone. One of the books explains buying an extra as a partial on only, so as Heridfel said I would get up after 5 min most of the time. If I got drowned I would have to wait a week, unless I was still in the water, at which point I would die again.

3) The sustained duration on the those powers were not meant to be abusive, I pick a flaw that I thought good enough to remove those from him if he was using them, being stunned. I tried to limit it, not bypass it and if you wish for me to change it to something more seriously limiting I will on concept. If you want me to drop the strength on the Armor down to 9 and take the flaw off all together, bringing his super str to 18 I can do that, and the gauntlets too if you want. You say it is cheesy, and it may well be if he doesn't get stunned much, but the Norse gods were known for being strong, and I tried to portray that. There were plenty of other things to make him more effective that I could have chosen. I have no problem even taking a large vulnerability to stun if that makes it better. Basically, I like the board, and I've met a couple people here that I like. I want to play so you tell me what you want me to do here, I'll do it.

*edit* reading over it after I post I sound like I'm getting mad or irate. I'm not I just like to be straight to the point, I can understand all of your problems with the character, I just want to work out how to fix them.

1) If the defense looks wrong to you Barnum, then it probably is. I get screwed up on the defense all the time and between what you said and the 5/6 days passing even I'm confused now and don't know what I did. I'm going to take it back down to start and figure that part out and fix it.

As Heridfel points out, I think the confusion comes from the fact that in one place (Attack) you apparently include the size modifier, but not with Defense. When you re-edit, make sure that you are clear exactly how many ranks of Defense and Attack you are buying (2 PPs each), and what your final modifiers are (including all sources: Feats, Drawbacks, Size, etc.)

One of the books explains buying an extra as a partial on only, so as Heridfel said I would get up after 5 min most of the time. If I got drowned I would have to wait a week, unless I was still in the water, at which point I would die again.

True, but not all Extras are appropriate for partial purchase (like Autofire). In my opinion this is one of them. By only spending 1 PP you are essentially getting the full effect which is to bypass the inherent limitation of Resurrection, that there is one common effect that can actually kill you. But like I said, since all of these PPs are essentially "wasted"â€â€they will never see game playâ€â€it really doesn't matter how much you spend on them.

3) The sustained duration on the those powers were not meant to be abusive, I pick a flaw that I thought good enough to remove those from him if he was using them, being stunned. I tried to limit it, not bypass it and if you wish for me to change it to something more seriously limiting I will on concept. If you want me to drop the strength on the Armor down to 9 and take the flaw off all together, bringing his super str to 18 I can do that, and the gauntlets too if you want. You say it is cheesy, and it may well be if he doesn't get stunned much, but the Norse gods were known for being strong, and I tried to portray that. There were plenty of other things to make him more effective that I could have chosen. I have no problem even taking a large vulnerability to stun if that makes it better. Basically, I like the board, and I've met a couple people here that I like. I want to play so you tell me what you want me to do here, I'll do it.

As I said, I would approve Enhanced Saves, Enhanced Str, Super Strength, and Enhanced Constitution, etc. bought to Sustained duration because there is some actual Flaw imposed (as opposed to Sustained Int for example). I don't think it is much of a limitation most of the time, but it's borderline, so I approve. There just won't be that many times (if ever) when you are stunned and still need to keep exerting your strength.

Though it sounds like Heridfel doesn't approve, so when when it comes time to get your second approval, you'll have to make him happy too.

Ok, First I fixed the combat section, I think

I changed it from

Combat: 4pp spent (defense 4)

Defense: 15 (Flat-Footed 11) (10+2+4-1)

To

Combat: 8pp spent (4 ranks of defense)

Attack: +7/+9 (melee) -- -5 (ranged)

Defense: +15/+11 Flat-Footed (+2 defense, +2 Dodge, +2 dodge focus, -1 Large = 15)

Grapple: Normal =+16 With Gauntlets =+43 Gauntlets and Armor =+88

After that I changed

Skills: 10pp spent

Concentration 8 (+9)

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Knowledge Arcane 8 (+8)

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 8 (+8)

To

Skills: 21pp spent (30)

Climb +10 (+15/+37/+82)

Concentration 8 (+9)

Intimidate 15 (+17)

Investegate +10 (+10)

Knowledge Arcane 15 (+15)

Language 2 (Norse is his native language, others are 1) English 2) Russian

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 8 (+8)

Sense Motive +8 (+9)

I then removed the resurrection as it was a problem, in design anyway (as it isn't needed). I can take care of what I need to that I explained in his backstory and while I play him. I used those points for skills.

Before

3) Regeneration -- Rank 21 [24pp]

Injured - 6 (No Action) Resurrection - 6 (5 Min) (Drowning)

Staggered - 2 (5 Min) True Resurrection - 1 (1 Week)

After

3) Regeneration -- Rank 14 [17pp]

Injured - 6 (No Action)

Staggered - 2 (5 Min)

Lastly, I changed the flaw on both sets of Super Str from duration to fades. Reason for this is that I feel, for strength at least, fades more accurately represents getting tired than the actual tiring flaw does. In real life the more you lift weight the harder it is for you to continue to do so. As the book states I leave it to you to make a reasonable limitation on when I get it back, which also helps to limit it. Alternatively, when I'm using both strength boosters I become weaker twice as fast.

Before

Alternate Power: Super Str 18 (-1 Sustained)

Super-Strength 9 (-1 Sustained)

After

Alternate Power: Super Str 18 (-1 Fades)

Super-Strength 9 (-1 Fades)

I also fixed the final add up.

There are a couple of things that are off, count-wise.

1) Your dodge bonus rounds down, so you have Defense 12 when flat-footed.

2) Super-Strength only provides its rank for grapple checks, not +1 for each two effective Strength you get for lifting. This reduces your grapple check accordingly.

I've updated them and approved you. Welcome to the game.

• 3 months later...