Jurassic Fight Club

The Waterfront, Downtown Freedom

10:30 am 13th April 2015

Even in a city like Freedom, with thousands of amazing thing happening every day, it was still possible to come across thing that surprised. When the bloody animal corpse was found animal control was called but as soon as they saw what it was they called in the Police, who apart from establishing a cordon weren’t quite sure what to do with the thing.

What they needed was a hero as the creature wasn’t really native to the city and hadn’t been native to the place for around 65 million years...

There was something truly inspiring about feeling the wind beneath your wings as one soared through the clouds.  On the suggestion of his father Markus had taken the form of an eagle this morning as he flew over the city, using the eagle's natural eye sight to pick out the details on the ground.  On this morning, a line of police cars with their lights blaring converging on a single location was something worth noting.  Animal Man banked hard, and turned into a dive to follow after the police.  

As he neared the crime scene, he became a leopard bounding across the rooftops, picking up the scent of blood as jumped to the scent roof, and accelerated his pace as he didn't recognize the scent, which was... unsettling.  He jumped off the last roof, bounding off the alley walls.  He landed in front of one of the police officers, before reverting to human form.  "What's the situation?" he said as nonchalantly as he could considering he was wearing a lion's pelt and a domino mask.

Edited by Geez3r

GM Post

The police seemed total fine to suddenly have a lion pelted man in their midst, the lead detective with barely a shrug lead Animal Man pass the cordon to the corpse of a lizard like creature with a slightly confused Medical examiner trying to work out what she could actually do, seeing the pair she gave a shrug and began to explain what she’d discovered.

“It’s as best I can tell a dinosaur, like those Raptor’s from Jurassic Park...â€

“Don’t they normally have feathers? I saw that show when they went back to Dinosaur time.â€

“Normally yes they do, you can see here that this one’s had them removed. I guess they wanted the classic look. It been involved in a fight, but these wounds are from weapons rather than claws.â€

The creature had larged gashes down it’s flanks that looked like it was attacked by some sort of bladed weapon.

• 3 weeks later...

Animal Man circled the area, shifting into the form of a bloodhound as the medical examiner explained their findings, sniffing the air as he went.  He drank in the smells of the crime scene, piecing together the circumstances of the crime.  Unfortunately there wasn't too much to go on.  He shifted back to human form, crouched down on the balls of his feet so he could relate what he learned.  "The scent is easy enough for me to track, in theory at least.  I agree with you, swords or other blades did this not claws.  This animal was brought here after it was killed.  I counted at least four different scents besides the creature itself, it was carried here from where ever it was killed, don't sense a vehicle entering the premises while the animal was here.  They're at least semi-organized if they coordinated to drop the body here, but it's hardly inconspicuous." relayed Animal Man to the gathered officers, glossing over the fact that he was a dog a moment ago.  He stood back up to his full height.  "I'll follow the trail as far as I can.  Who should I keep in the loop on this and how do I get in contact with them?"

Freedom City cops were probably the most difficult to surprise in the country if not the world, but even they had to start somewhere. The older cop acted unconcerned with the whole transformation, but the younger officer jaw seemed to literally fall open. The gave alittle shryg and stepped towards Animal Man.

“If you can prove all that then I guess this falls to me, there’s obviously something pretty serious going on here.”

He stepped up and offered the hero a business card.

“You find anything out give us a call and we’ll do the rest. And thanks for you help so far.”

"No, thank you for letting me take a look around." replied Animal Man as he looked at the number briefly before putting the card into a compartment on his belt.  "I'll check in in a couple of hours if I don't find anything, sooner if I do." he continued with a quick nod before he was once again on four legs, bounding after the scent of the deceased dinosaur.  He was able to track it fairly easily in the area around the warehouse mostly because there weren't too many other scents that were intermixed with it.  The real challenge would be if the trail led back to the city proper, and keeping that scent separate from everything else going on in the city.  If I can find out where the dinosaur was killed, I might be able to figure out who's responsible for creating it in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst gifted with the senses of a dog but Markus still had the brain of a human and his brain chose to show his greatly heightened sense of smell as an amazing piece of Synesthesia painting the world in swirls and flows of amazing colors. With some concentration the smell of the dinosaur, intertwined with the humans that carried it, was a bright green that swirled away from it’s corpse. It was sometime dimmed or even briefly enveloped in but the other harsh industrial smells of the dock but was still relatively fresh and easy to follow.

There was however one problem the smell went down to the piers were the ships docked, though no ship was current moored there. The scent was obscured by the massive scent of the ship that it most probably left from.

Dog!Animal Man scampered down the pier, hot on the trail of the dinosaur, he was so focused on the scent that he nearly ran off the pier when it suddenly lead out into the ocean, the scent of the dinosaur being overpowered by the scent of the ship.  "I swear, every singe time I'm on a scent they hop on a boat.  Can I track the criminal that periodically jogs in place for once?" vented Animal Man to one of the nearby seagulls having retaken his human form.  He sighed to himself before he morphed into the form of an eagle, taking to the air as he made his way over to the harbor master, he needed to find the manifest for the ship that left, tracking it over the water was likely going to be tricky at best, impossible at worst. 

Finding the building was easy enough, and he landed and once again reverted to human form as he walked into the building.  He grabbed the first person that looked like they might know what was going on and asked them "I need to see the harbor master.  I need to know what ship was just moored at dock seven."

It didn’t take long for the Harbour Master to be summoned and aquest to Animal Man’s request, the fact the he was helping the police only sweetened the deal. In his office the record were brought up on the computer.

“Hrm the ship is the Klen Belyy, registered out of Russia. She’s quite a regular visitor coming into port at least once a week.” he looked further and sat back with a little sigh.

“She left port a few hours ago, according to our data she’s in International Waters now. If they’ve done wrong there nothing we can do to help you I’m afraid.”

• 3 weeks later...

"You pointed me in the right direction, that's all I was asking." said Animal Man with a shrug before he extended his hand to the harbor master.  "Think I might be able to impose on you for a moment longer and borrow a telephone?"  asked Animal Man as he jerked his thumb over his shoulder at the phone on the wall of the office.  A moment later, Animal Man dug the card out of his pocket and let the police know what he learned... "Yeah they're in international waters by this point.  I'm going to tail them to see what's up, but I wanted to keep you in the loop, just in case.  Alright, thank you officer." 

Back on the pier got his bearings from the position of the sun in the sky, before diving into the water, morphing into a great white shark before he hit the water.  Beneath the waves he slowly started to follow the course of the boat, knowing he likely had a few hours of this to go, thankfully being a large predator would deter most sea life. 

It wasn’t difficult to find the ship's course there was a trace of blood in the water, an exotic mixes of bloods from several exotic animals possibly from long ago, obviously from the ship's bilges. It traces weaved through the water caught on the various hidden flows and eddies of the larger ocean.

The ship itself was a rather non descript, probably deliberately, container ship sitting quietly in the water obviously waiting for something. Out here no one could stop her from conducting whatever shady business that it was out her to conduct.

• 3 weeks later...

Animal Man was sure he had arrived at the right place, but that only meant that the difficult part was only just beginning.  He assumed the form of a spider and scampered up the side of the hull, and morphed into the form of a rat as he made it over the railing.  He wove his way between the crates as he tried to make his way to the internal compartments of the ship.  Right now he wanted to avoid a fight, he didn't know whether or not the people on this ship knew what was going on or not.  It could just be the captain slipping an additional crate or two among their shipment of completely legitimate cargo.  Sure the crew was probably in on it as parking out in the middle of the ocean tended to raise red flags, but mauling someone just trying to make a living for their family tended to get one booted out of the super-hero crowd in fairly short order.  He wanted to find the captain, or at least the bridge, but for now he just had to stalk the shadows and get a lay of the land.

• 5 weeks later...

A spider world was a strange on to inhabit, even for a short while, whilst it had good vision most of it’s knowledge came from picking up vibrations from their environment. The ship thrummed with the rumble of the ship's engines, even though they seemed to be idling as the ship sat there waiting for something.

Making his way up the ship to the bridge windows, avoiding another spider who wouldn’t take the intrusion kindly, Markus could looking in through his eight eyes at the crew. The bridge wasn’t packed with people only four men seemed to be controlling the ship, the person who was apparently in charge was a bit of a surprise.

Strolling the bridge as if she owned the place, which she might actually, was a woman dressed as if she was out for a night out in a black Cheongsam dress.