Hestina (Vicki Adams)

Hestina

“Good morning America, and welcome to Hero Beat, the program where we discuss all things related to the culture and personalities of the heroes around us.  I’m Sam Smith and your host for the program.  Today we have an up and coming hero, Hestina who is joining us after a remarkable thwarting of a bank robbery on Whidbey Island.," said the tall host with the million dollar smile.

"This segment will be a little different as Hestina doesn't speak and we have an interpreter to tranlate her sign language for us.  So I'd like to also introduce Super-Vision's own Donna Thome," he said pointing to a tall blonde woman who was already sitting next to his desk.  Her dress screamed tailored fit but the round spectacles on her face made her look like a very elegant teacher.

Like her, his suit was tailored to fit him perfectly and his looks and mannerisms screamed anchor, "Please give her a warm welcome as she seems to be calling Freedom City her home now!†

Gesturing over to the side, he waved as a thin girl dressed in a black and white costume gracefully walked across the stage, smiling brightly at the audience.  Her face, covered by a small white mask around her eyes did just enough to keep her complete looks concealed.  Sitting down in one of the overstuffed chairs next to the host’s desk she smiled at him and made a simple hello sign.

“Hi!  How are you doing?†he asked to break the ice.

For just a moment, she paused then looked at the woman behind Sam, her hands and fingers danced quickly, “Very good, thank you for having me on.  I was really surprised to get the invite.  I haven’t been here long.† As she signed, the woman behind Sam spoke for his and the audiences benefit, repeating what she said.

Sam nodded congenially, “well we have some of the best beat reporters helping us out.  I sometimes think we know about crimes before they happen.  So tell me, if you can, where are you from?  I mean is there a hometown that will be running a parade for you?†(1)

Hestina giggled at the thought and flashed signs to the woman who translated again, “no, nothing like that.  I doubt if anyone at home remembers me at all.â€

Sam gave her his serious look, opening his arms wide, “a pretty girl like you whose fighting crime, I’m pretty sure they would.â€

“Oh, I moved around a lot as a child,†Hestina replied liking the translators voice.  â€œâ€¦and it is the identity thing.  Pretty sure that they would have a parade if they knew about it.  They have a Pumpkin Patch festival and it’s pretty small town so probably.  I don't really like that much attention though.â€

“Right, well we understand that and I won’t pry more, but if you ever want to give an exclusive, I’ll make sure you have my cell!†Sam said pulling out a business card and sliding it across the desk.

Hestina smiled at him taking the card and quickly signing, “I’ll make sure to call if I go public.â€

“Right!†he replied nodding, “so you look like a young lady, I’m guessing still in school.  Why do this?  I mean, I’m sure that most people your age are pretty busy with all the activities of School, grades, sports, clubs...†(2)

Wiggling in her seat, Hestina tugged at the top half of her costume trying to calm her nerves, it took a moment before she started signing, “school is pretty good Sam and there’s nothing wrong with it.  But, I’ve just had some people in my life who have really given me a beacon to follow.  It’s one thing to know what right and wrong is… it’s another to be able to see someone practice it and live it.  Besides, if I do hero work I can avoid curfew.â€

Sam laughed along with the audience, “well there is that.  Not that we recommend kids to skip out from home!â€

“No of course not.  I suppose this is a special case,†Hestina replied agreeing with.  â€œBut balancing school and hero work can be pretty challenging.  Even more so since I have a part time job too.â€

Shaking his head Sam asked, “wow!  That’s quite a full plate.  You have to work too?†(3)

“Oh yes.  Hero work doesn’t pay unless you are with some kind of government program or maybe some of the established super teams.  While it’d be nice if it did… I am kind of glad it doesn’t.  I mean otherwise you have people who do good just to get paid not because they are out to actually help people.â€

“That’s true.  I want to ask you about this name.  Hestina, it’s pretty unique.  I had some of the boys in R&D help me out and they say it’s a butterfly.  However, the part that caught my attention was that it’s another name for the Sirens.  Is there a connection there?†(4)

With a knowing smile Hestina looked out to the people in the audience, she started to sign and heard nothing from the woman behind the desk.  Looking over she made a sorry face as she made sure to sign where the translator could see her hands.

“just in the name.  I mean, she’s a wonderful hero and I would be honored and blessed if I could help people anywhere near as much as she has.â€

“Well let’s talk about you.  On this program we know more than most that the heroes which grace this city are people too.  What do you like?  When you’re not in costume what are you doing?†(5)

Wanting to look at the audience as she felt more at ease she signed to the side, “lots of things.  I’m kind of an outdoor person by nature and I’m looking forward to exploring the parks and area around the city.  I like sports and music too.  I heard that Imagine Dragons were going to be playing here this week so I’m hoping to get to go.  Oh and I adore watching the Goldbergs.â€

“The TV show?  Aren’t you a little young to get most of that?†(6)

Giving Sam a wink, she gestured, “well I didn’t live in the 80’s but it’s a great show!  Not sure that I have to have lived then to think it’s funny.  But yes, I'm still in High School.  It's not the only show I like, but I don't have a whole lot of time with everything else that's going on.â€

"You have time for Hero Beat of course," Sam chuckled.

"Always!" Hestina signed emphatically while laughing.

"That's what I thought.  Well can we get some of the basics down?  What are your powers?  You’ve been spotted teleporting at the least.†(7)

Tapping her chin in thought Hestina brushed at her hair before signing, “believe me that totes beats walking when you absolutely need to get somewhere.  I guess you could say I’m really good at persuading people to stop fighting.â€

“Persuading?†Sam said with a skeptical look. 

“Well yes, I’m not really into violence as a means to an end,†she replied meeting his gaze perhaps expecting a challenge to her beliefs.  It wasn't long before it came.

“Surely some of these thugs are out to do you or others harm?†he replied challenging her.  â€œWouldn’t it be easier to just smack a few of them around?†(8)

“Of course, but sometimes you have to show people there are other ways,†she signed fluidly her motions precise as this was a matter close to her heart.  â€œI don’t expect everyone to agree with me, or even be able to do what I do.  But I feel strongly enough about it to try and make a difference and who knows, maybe some of the people I’m… persuading.. will come around and do something amazing for the public down the road.â€

Sam laughed just a bit, although his smile was kind, “well I’ll leave that optimism for you.  Okay, well what are your plans?  You’re new to the city and I’m sure you have a lot you’d like to accomplish.†(9)

“Well I need to graduate first Sam," she said nodding while finishing the gestures.

“So you had said.  I think I recall you saying you were still in high school?â€

She smiled brightly as she signed, “I am, and it’s important to get enough education so you can make your own opinions.â€

Opening his arms and leaning forward, “I think I can get behind that, can you convince my kids that?â€

Hestina laughed with the audience as she replied even before they stopped, “Sorry Sam, I don’t think I can.â€

“Okay then, after school, or even during school?  Plans?†

She nodded starting to enjoy her stay with this warm audience, “well I plan on making sure that I can keep as many of you safe as possible.  I want to make a difference in the community and the city.  But I am really still focused on learning, both in school and as a hero.â€

“That’s rather admirable!†he replied nodding and leaning back in his chair.  "How about personally?  Is there something you have your eyes on?" (10)

She had to think about that for a moment before she slowly gestured at the lady translating, "well I think that college and perhaps a medical degree of some sort would be in order.  Then I don't know, it's hard to think that far ahead.  As much as I'd like to be a doctor, a lot depends on what happens between now and then."

“That's true.  So today there was another report of thugs hitting things down by the docks.  Given how messed up things can be, what do you think of Freedom City?  We're probably not putting our best foot forward but surely you like the hot dogs at least?" Sam asked jabbing his finger into the desk to accentuate his point. (11)

For a moment Hestina looked appologetic, before submissively signing, "I'm sorry, I'm a vegetarian.  It kind of goes along with being a pacifist.  It would kind of be hypocritical to not hurt people but not care what happens to animals as well."

"You're missing out, you know that?  The Italian dog is the best," Sam said rubbing his stomach.

Hestina signed and shrugged before flashing, "well I do like the taste of meat, it's just a personal choice."

"Okay so no hot dogs, that's fine what about the rest of the city?" (12)

"I think the city is fine.  There’s a lot of people here, and they all have different dreams and needs.  The people I’ve met have been really warm and welcoming, so I have no doubt I’ll fit right in.  I know there’s bound to be some problems and some trouble.  That’s even before you add in so many heroes and their foes.  But just look at all the good parts of the city… I mean I was Downtown yesterday and you have most amazing aquarium.â€

“Fish?  That’s what impressed you?†he said with a grin looking to the audience and getting some laughs.

“Not just the fish.  Well they were pretty neat and the building is amazing.  I’m just trying to say that you have some wonderful things here and I’m really looking forward to getting to know them along with the people," she finished signing with a smile to the audience.

“Okay, but I’m hoping next time we talk you have more of an impression than the fish.  Promise?â€

She grinned and nodded agreement not bothering to sign.

Flipping one of the cards on his desk he leaned forward looking conspiratorially, “okay, so you’re a very beautiful young lady.  Is there someone in your heart?†(13)

Even around the edges of her mask, a telltale blush colored her cheeks, she quickly signed something muddled which the lady behind Sam gave the I don't know gesture.

Taking a breath and collecting herself she signed slower and more deliberately, “no, not right now.â€

“Not… now,†Sam said tapping the desk, “so there was someone before?â€

Hestina nodded slowly and made sure to enunciate her gestures, “Well I’ve had a boyfriend before…â€

“Okay then, here is the question.  Do you kiss with the mask on or off?†(14)

Even with the mask on, it was plain to see that her eyes went as wide as saucers.

“What?  I’m sure I’m not the only one that wanted to know that?†Sam said a little defensively.

Shaking her head she recovered and signed, “off.  He never knew about Hestina.â€

Sam raised his eyebrows, “he didn’t?  Was that difficult?†(15)

Coming mostly back to normal she sighed and nodded yes while communicating, “It was.  I mean, we were pretty close so it was something that I wanted to tell him… but it just want the right time and it wouldn’t have been fair to him either.  I don’t want to leave him with a secret that might get him in trouble someday.â€

“I guess that’s reasonable enough.  So our hero population is pretty diverse here.  Have you had the chance to meet any of them?  Any tensions?†he asked flipping another card to the side. (16)

She shook her head no and rapidly gestured, “I haven’t had much of a chance to meet any of them, but I’m sure I’ll be fine with whoever I am lucky enough to meet.â€

“Even the aliens?†he said with a smile.

She definitively signed, “Even the aliens.  That was one of the benefits of moving around a lot.  You got exposed to a number of different points of view and realized that people… and aliens… not always so different from each other.  Well maybe the aliens are a little different, but the concept is still sound.  I think people get a little caught up when someone has a different point of view and then they feel threatened.  That’s normal.  I hope perhaps I can be something of an example on how to accept those that are different.â€

Sam nodded and pointed at her, “good segue, I was going to ask you if you thought you could be a role model to people in the city?†(17)

“Certainly, I’d like to think so,†she gestured, “but more important is to make sure you know your kids and help them make the right choices in life.  I mean, I want to be someone people look up too, but we’ve seen time and time again that even the best of role models stumble and falter.â€

“Well that almost sounds like you are planning to have a fall from grace.  Are we going to see you doing a photoshoot for one of the men’s magazines?  Or do you have something else in mind.†(18)

“Of course not!†she gestured curtly, surprised at the forwardness of the question.  At least the audience seemed to agree gasping at the nature of the question, however, she kept her composure, “no.  I don’t have plans to mess anything up.  Nor will I be posing in a magazine.  I just know that no one is perfect, and as much as I might want to try, I know that I’m not.â€

Nodding and perhaps realizing that he didn’t have an adult hero on set Sam cleared his throat and looked at her apologetically, “sorry, just following the line of questions.  Let’s get to something a little easier.  Who does your costume?  It’s very well done.†(19)

Hestina beamed glad to be off more difficult topics, “thank you very much.  I made it myself… well that’s not entirely true.  I had some help in the materials department because the last thing I want is a wardrobe malfunction when trying to apprehend someone.  There are already enough embarrassing pictures of me out there and I’d rather not add to the fire.â€

“Wonders of a digital age I suppose,†he replied.  "Speaking of, are you going to be reaching out to what I assume will be your fans on social media?" (20)  

For a moment Hestina looked at Sam blankly, it was something she really had never considered, her signing showed her confusion, "No.  Wait, yes.  I will probably have something like a twitter account to keep in touch with people who want to ask me things.  I hope that it just becomes another way to help in the end."

"So nothing right now that I can tell the viewers?" Sam asked a little surprised.

Hestina shrugged and shook her head no, looking out at the audience and signing that she was sorry.  While the translator didn't catch it, the gesture was pretty self explanatory.

“That's fine, nothing to worry about.  Well I do want to thank you for coming on the program.  I’m sure we’ll meet again and have lots to talk about on your promising career.  I’m Sam Smith and you have been talking with Freedom Cities newest addition the silent and beautiful Hestina."  

There was a very warm round of applause to which Hestina nodded and waved to the audience, sliding over in the seat knowing there would be at least two more guests coming in.

"Now he’s big and I think he's grown since the last time we had him on this show!  Let's give a warm welcome to Megastar!"
Edited by bstripp

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I am a morally conscious touch based psionic hero.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

My hero name is Hestina and while I had no nicknames, my best friend and I were collectively known as the Gremlin Marauders… from the car, not actual Gremlins.

What is your full birth name?

Victoria Lyne Adams

Where do you live?

Claremont Academy with the rest of my family residing on base at Lonely Point Naval Base.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I am 17 years old and was born in 1998.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Female.

How would you describe your heritage?

American, although Military Brat is probably closer to describing how I was raised and the values and attitudes that I have.

How tall are you?

5’5â€

What is your body type?

So many ways to describe this: Straight, Lean Column, Athletic, Fit. Why are there so many types?

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I was born mute and have never been able to speak, regardless of how much instruction I was given. Other than that, I have stupid reactions to lilies. One corsage and there was a prom night trashed.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

With nearly 10 years of gymnastics, I can walk however you want me too. Okay, that’s kind of snarky. I guess typically I look pretty graceful and I certainly am good at sneaking around. At least I haven’t been caught sneaking out of the house for night time patrols yet.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Well I’ve been told I have clear skin, it’s probably too white, but I’m not really into tanning. My hair is black and my eyes are hazel. Boring.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Usually I don’t bother too much with it. A scrunchy to make a ponytail works just fine. Although if I want to impress someone then I’ll take the time to braid my hair in some fashion.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I don’t know, I try not to think about it too much. I suppose so. I don’t really have the figure of a lot of girls, but really, that just kind of helps with both Gymnastics and my hero activities.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I have at least a couple of faint scars from childhood accidents. One on my knee another on my finger. They’re pretty hard to see, but I know they are there.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

A little bit like Summer Glau when she was younger and with less curves.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right handed.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

I mean, I do care what I look like, so don’t take this wrong, but most times I don’t care too much. Something simple and functional works well. Like Jeans and a Tee Shirt. Or a simple summer dress. I like pale colors and I guess I’m just not patient enough to really spend lots of time at it.

Do you wear makeup?

Rarely, and if I do, never much. It’s just not really my thing.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

No, pretty typical. I don’t think I’m going to be asked on American Idol if that’s what you’re asking.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Well I tend to have pretty large hand gestures. I can’t talk so I’ve as verbose with my hands as I possibly can. I probably do annoy people when I forcefully sign at them or get frustrated because they don’t understand me.

History

Where do you come from?

Wow. That’s a tough question. Originally, I was born in Egg Harbor. My parents had a home there while dad was deployed overseas. Since then? I’m not sure I can count all of them. Great Lakes Naval Base, Whidbey Island, Norfolk…

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Moving was pretty much my life. I don’t think we’ve been at any base for more than three years at any time.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Absolutely. I have seen firsthand how much the men and women in the military have given for this country. I’ve also seen some of the places where freedom is not a given. We may have a lot of problems, but I’ll take them. As for the government, well they work as hard as they can to mess things up, but I think they actually do try to do mostly the right things.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

If you mean my hometown? It’s just another place in a long list of places. If you mean the bases, I’ve enjoyed living on them and the opportunities for training I’ve had that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Well Egg Harbor is a sleepy little town in Door County, WI. It’s mostly a tourist place the harbor long ago drying up and industry moving away. It’s a little bigger, but with a population around 400 it’s really not all that much.

I can tell you more about base life then I can where I was born. There’s always things going on. Programs and groups, classes and field trips. I think they realize that personnel turnover is close to 100% every three years so they compensate in other ways. What’s really strange is that even if the base is in another location, it’s still like being at home when you get there. Just different names on the same people.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Can I be both? I was part of the Army Brat culture. On base, we were pretty homogenous (I can’t believe I just used that word).

But where I kind of stuck out was being mute. No matter what it took me more work and effort to meet people and communicate with them.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I’d like to think that I’m quite good at Gymnastics. My coaches all seem to think that I would have had a real good shot at the Olympics if I could have stayed and trained with just one person. I suppose it affected me in that I realized that if I wanted to be good at something, I was going to have to make sure that I learned it. There wasn’t going to be an overarching presence in my life.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Other than saying good bye when dad would be inevitably deployed, no. I had a pretty good life.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

Is there a defining moment in a childhood? Well I guess if I had to pick one thing, it was when I met Siren. I mean, I had been using her name but she didn’t have to come and talk to me. The lawyers could have managed just fine. There was a night we sat on my bed and read through her scrapbooks. How cool was that?

Anyway, she helped me get set up as a hero. Helped me train, explained some of the stuff I was doing trial and error. I’d say meeting her was about as pivotal for me as it gets.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I took a Hummer for a joy ride one night. I’d sneak in and out of a military base to patrol the neighboring communities. Pranking people with my voice projection. Laying down on the edge of the runway on Whidbey Island. Trying to fight crime in street clothes. Getting drunk more than a couple of times.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I’ve been through the normal school progression, just I’ve done it at five different schools. As for enjoyment, well as much as you can, I did. I mean, you knew your friends were going to leave in a year or so and the teachers did too.

So the friendships were hot and fast and you tried to cram as much in as you could. School was just part of the limited time that you were going to see these people. Besides, as I mentioned, they kind of knew we had a raw deal so they were always having dances, and clubs and activities. It really wasn’t bad.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Well technically, I’m still a minor. However, I have a whole slew of medals from my gymnastics competitions. I have a bear that my dad brought back from England. It’s kind of falling apart, but I still love him dearly.

I don’t know if you consider my car a memento, but I have a 1972 AMC Gremlin that is my chariot and lifeblood. Yeah, it was voted one of the 50 ugliest cars ever, but it’s mine and it has style!

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

I don’t think there was much of a time where I wasn’t going too. Even before I had powers I wanted to make a difference. I mean, it’s something to see your dad receive the Medal of Honor from the President. It’s another to actually hear what he did. Then again when he received two Bronze Stars to add to his decorations.

His deeds and actions cast a large shadow that I lived under. I was always Lt. Adams little girl. That was fine, but I wanted to help people like he did, because when his buddies got together, there were a lot more stories that never made it to an award ceremony.

Anyway, I knew from early on that I was going to follow the path to helping people no matter what happened.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Well I don’t tell them my dad’s name, but just that there was a man who influenced me greatly in his deeds and words. You know, secret identities and all.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Hmmm. Well I did kiss PFC Smith once sneaking back in to base. That probably doesn’t count though. So I’ll go with no.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Not that I know of. I mean I think I’m still trying day to day to figure out who I am anyway. Hard enough to keep that straight.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

Well my mom would totes ground me, but I could probably live with that.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Nope! Well I had a few traffic violations, but nothing major.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Marcus and Annie Adams. Yeah, she did marry a guy to be called Annie Adams. Goofy, I know, but that’s love for you.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

I was primarily raised by my mom as my father was deployed for at least half of my life. However, I think my dad influenced me just as much even if he wasn’t always around.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My father was very well known for his bravery and has the hardware to show it. He is a career soldier and has passed up rank advancements to stay with his SEAL team. My mother ran the house, managed the finances, and kept track of my sisters and I.

Where are your parents now?

My dad is currently stations at Lonely Point Naval Base and my mom and sisters are there as well.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We moved. A lot.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I love my grandparents. They would take me around to all kinds of places when they came to visit. I think they knew that with Dad gone and mom caring for my younger sisters that I needed some additional interaction. We had the best trips.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I think they are pretty proud of me. At least that’s what they keep telling me. We don’t fight much, I mean a little is normal, but in general they give me my freedom and I respect their wishes… mostly.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

I have three sisters; Beth, Chrissy and, Stephanie. They’re two years apart and the oldest is 4 years younger than I am. There would have been another, but mom miscarried from what she told me. We get along pretty good, although they’re all more girly than I am and sometimes we don’t have a lot to relate to each other.

What was your birth order in the family?

I am the oldest.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Living at “homeâ€. They attend the base school and I think they are a little jealous that I am now going to Claremont.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Oh no, nothing that serious. Just we’re at different ages and have different interests. We still talk all the time.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Nope, I think it would be weird to like or hate one more than the other. They’re all family.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

No, although I’m perhaps a little closer to Beth as she’s the closest to my age.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

None that I know of. Unless you start going out to Uncles and Aunts, and then there are a few crooked branches there. Nothing drastic, but lots of remarriages, divorces, children out of wedlock, etc. Money problems too. We don’t talk about Uncle Don and Aunt Sylvia much.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

None.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No, I had a boyfriend, but we’re now 3000 miles away from each other and broke it off before it became a mess. I’m a little young for kids and thankfully haven’t had to deal with that particular challenge yet.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Yes to both please. I loved my family and I think I could set down the mask to raise my own.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Ideal? Well I suppose he’d be someone who shared my ideals. He’d be intellectually challenging, kind and considerate. If he liked fighting crime then that would be a huge win! He’d realize that I wasn’t a wallflower and would let me be a partner in his life. Nice abs wouldn’t hurt either.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I don’t have a ton of close friends. At any given place I have lots of friends, but there have only been a few people who I’ve been able to know long enough to stay close too.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

My best friend is Monica Rausa, she was the other half of the “Gremlin Maraudersâ€. No… that wasn’t a superteam, well I mean it was, but just not like capes and masks and all. She was the one person who I’ve stayed in touch with even after we moved. We are as close as two people can be and she knows everything about me. Thankfully, she thinks the whole hero thing is wicked cool. I just wish I had met her earlier in my life.

As for how we became best friends? Well, it was a dark and stormy night. No seriously, it was. I was 15 and on my learners permit. But in Meridian Mississippi, everyone drives at 15, even before getting their license. It’s kind of a farmer thing and who was I to argue. Anyway, I was just heading back home from dropping off some tools for my mom when I nearly ran her over. She was walking and had gotten caught in the rain. I mean, perhaps I was going a little fast, and perhaps I really shouldn’t have been driving alone.

None of that really matters. What counts is that I gave her a ride home and we were besties ever after.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

I think there’s probably a lot of people. My whole family for one. We’re kind of the “through thick and thin†kind of family. Besides, you don’t want to tick my dad off. That whole Taken series? I could see him doing that. My best friend Monica would. Perhaps a few teachers, the CO of the base, perhaps a few more.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Do we really need to keep talking about this? I had a few crushes, and a boyfriend or two that was lost when I moved. Usually I just got over it because it was kind of expected. Relationships on base rarely go very far because both of you know your time together is just temporary. Don’t get me wrong, they were fun and I liked the guys, but in general both of us knew it was a casual thing.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Warren VanWitzenberg, son of the CO on Whidbey Island and total prat. He and I never saw eye to eye and it just got worse when I caught him cheating on an exam. Sure, I did the right thing and turned him in, but ever since then he blames me because he thinks that he won’t get into Annapolis now. Well, he probably won’t, they take that whole code of conduct thing pretty seriously.

I’m not sure what to say about stupid Warren. He’s about as perfect as you can get, except he’s not. I mean he had to cheat on his SAT to get into school so what does that say? Anyway, he’d look good on a recruiting poster if you could ever get that stupid sneer wiped off his face.

After that, he was always publicly polite to me, even thanked me for making him a better person in front of the class. However, there was a night he cornered me when no one was around and told me that somehow, some way, he’d make me disappear and no one would be the wiser.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

I’d like to think that for all his talk, it was just anger, but I don’t know. Having someone who has military connections be pissed at you isn’t a great way to have easy night’s sleep.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Nothing too terrible. I’ve had the typical high school clique BS. Someone TPed my car, stuff like that. Guess I had a couple of fights too, but nothing too bad. Wait, am I supposed to have a pool of seething raging anger? I mean that’s not a requirement because I don’t really do brooding very well.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Duty

Family

Self

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust my father more than anything because I know that he has had to make really hard choices and every time has done the right thing. After him, by BFF Monica.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

I despise pretentious self-centered people. They get to be the way they are because of the blood and sweat of so many others. They never see it, they never acknowledge that there was a whole lot of people that let them have their care free snooty life.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

I like people who are funny, self-deprecating, humble, and freely give their time to others. I’d like to think I’m most of those, except I’m not nearly as funny as I’d like.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Well I kind of covered that in the despise question. I guess I’d add in cruel, vain, and presumptuous to the list. Thankfully, I don’t think I have those traits.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yes. I mean my parents didn’t name me Hestina. While only a few people know that I am her; my father, Monica, Siren, I guess the lawyers of the Freedom League, there are kind of a scary number who could piece it together if they thought about it. I wasn’t too closed with my powers when I was growing up. I mean, putting people to sleep… come on, that’s way too funny not to abuse.

I do hide it from my mother and sisters. My mom, well she has enough to worry about with dad and his deployments. My sisters? Well they’re still kind of young and I don’t want it to slip out any more than it already has.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

While I tend to be a leader, “chip off the ol block†as dad says, I don’t mind working with people. When I do lead I’m not really into the whole dictator style of leadership. But growing up, if you wanted to do something and meet people, you needed to do it yourself. So more often than not I’m initiating ideas and activities.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

No, but wouldn’t that be the coolest?

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Other than school, no none.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Okay it’s cheesy but my Dad. He’s the real deal.

Anish. She owns! (http://www.backpacker.com/trips/long-trails/pacific-crest-trail/a-ghost-among-us/)

Shannon Miller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Miller)

Monica Lin Brown (http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49348)

Abby Wambach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abby_Wambach)

Siren, duh!

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Well I had some amazing love for Hope Solo for a long time, but I guess it just goes to show that you really shouldn’t put sports stars up as idols.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Yes. I wouldn’t do it otherwise. The most rewarding point is when I get to help someone who really needs it. Seeing their relief or gratuity makes it all totally worth it.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

Switch sides? No way. I guess the only thing that would make me give it up is if I had to break my beliefs that you should not kill or harm people no matter what the circumstances. There are always other ways to solve a crisis. Now if I can only get other people to buy in the world would be better for it.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Short term, I have a lot of them:

* Graduate High School

* Go to prom and actually go this time (stupid lilies)

* Get accepted to college

* Establish myself as a real hero

* Boyfriend?

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Twenty years? That seems like a long time. However, I guess here’s a pretty good list:

* Be a psychologist and have a practice

* Remain active in the hero community

* Have a family

* Not be old?

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

I worry that I will have to make a choice between my ethics and morals and saving someone. Given what seems to go on in the hero community that probably is something that I’ll have to deal with. I just don’t know how I’ll respond.

Spiders. Yeah it’s stupid, but totes disgusting.

Is there anything you would give your life for?

I’d like to think I would give my life for others, just as my father has vowed to do so if needed. I’d like to think I’d give my own life before harming another.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I mean I wouldn’t object to having more money. I’m pretty careful with what I have, but that’s because I never have had much. Base jobs don’t pay a whole lot and military families aren’t really rolling in money. Still, I believe it’s the people in your life that matter more than the things you have. I’d rather be rich in love than in objects if I have to make a choice.

How do you generally treat others?

I think I am very trusting and open with people. I’m pretty friendly in general love to help. So I’d like to think that others think I treat them very well.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Yeah… I think that’s probably one of my flaws. I assume that because I am open and honest that everyone else will be the same with me. It’s burned me before more than once and I’m sure it will do so again. Thankfully it’s never been something over the top.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I am very confident in myself and much more of an extrovert. It’s kind of a survival mechanism when all your friends rotate out after a year or two.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Pretty much like anyone else. Butterflies in my stomach and I’m sure I end up looking way more stupid than I am. However, I’ve never had problems talking to guys who I liked and more often than not it’s worked out for the better.

What are your most annoying habits?

Well depends on who you ask. My sisters would say that I make too much noise at night, which is kind of ironic. They’d also say I take too much time in the bathroom which is a total lie. My parents would say that I eat too much food.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Snobs, hipsters, trendy people. Why? Well most of them spend more time trying to pretend to be someone instead of just being someone. You can’t try to be something, you just are yourself and need to be comfortable with it.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Okay, this will never get released, right? I eat way too much. Sometimes it’s embarrassing when you eat more than your date and he’s looking at you like you might gnaw his arm off. I do take my time and try to follow the chew everything so your body has time to realize it’s full. I just don’t think my body ever gets that message. I wonder if there’s something wrong with my stomach, like my dimensional pocket is actually there because no matter what I eat it doesn’t seem to affect me much.

I love chili cheese dogs. Those are the best! While I love meat, I’ve become a vegetarian as it’s hard to have a stance that all life is sacred and then proceed to eat a good portion of it.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Lemon and Lime. It’s a British thing, but they are soooo good.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Frozen custard with Oreos in it.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Not really a fan of innards and I know Brussel Sprouts are supposed to be good for you, but bleah. Oh and lots of British things like Black Pudding, Bubble and Squeak, etc.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I like pale blue. I wish my eyes were that color.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I love Lindsey Sterling and dance music in general. I don’t hate any music, but I don’t listen to Rap or Heavy Metal all that much.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I love the smell of pines especially when you are in a forest of them.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Not really. I’m not really an animal person.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

My 1972 Gremlin. I think mostly because it’s now pretty unique and quirky. I hope like me. It also reminds me of my best friend… and hey, it’s a car and I’m in high school. What’s not to like?

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I love camping and backpacking. I think it’s my escape and me time. So I don’t mind roughing it all. I’ve been happy to live for a couple weeks out of my pack and that’s okay. With that being said, there is nothing in both heaven and earth better than a warm bubble bath.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Well I could never be an executioner. I wouldn’t be a boxer or that MMA stuff as I’m not really into harming people. I don’t think I could be a lawyer either as I don’t think blame is all that healthy.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

I do consider myself spiritual. Given some of the things that have happened, you’d have to be kind of silly not to be. I’m not sure that my beliefs line up with any formal religion, but it is important to me that I believe we are all here for a purpose. My beliefs shape my morals and they are very central to who I am.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

No, my parents are traditional Christian, so my beliefs are mostly my own.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I don’t. However, nature is pretty much my place of worship. I feel more close and in touch with the spiritual on the trail than anywhere else.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

No and no.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

From an early age I just had a very strong feeling that life is sacred. It started on one of my backpacking excursions and every time I’m in nature it is just reinforced. Maybe it’s ironic, since animals and other creatures don’t seem to have that same compulsion. Still, I believe it to my core and I’m willing to live my life by it. Everyone has value and I don’t think I have the wisdom to determine who no longer has it.

I mean what if I killed someone and they would have been the person who eventually cures cancer? Okay, most thugs probably won’t, but you never know!

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

No. I don’t think there are, for me, under any circumstances.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

Well here is the deal. I also believe that everyone has to live their own life and make their own choices. My dad has had to kill lots of people. I understand that my ideals aren’t too realistic to the world since there are always going to be those who won’t follow them. So I assume that everyone is trying to do their best and I try to judge as little as possible.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

Personally I’d be disappointed and a little mad. However, things are not important when you get down to it.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Been there, endured that. Thankfully I’m confident in who I am. I mean, sure I get the shakes and a little sick to my stomach at the time, but in the end, I’m still the same person and perhaps it’s good for my humility. Perhaps.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Thankfully not. I don’t know how I’d react. I know I’m used to change and people leaving my life, but there’s always the ability to stay in touch and see them again. Dead is dead. No possibility of ever going back. I don’t think I’d do very well with it. Especially if it happened to someone really close to me.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Rape has to be pretty much up there on my scale. It’s such a violation of self that it’s hard to cope with.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I don’t really need five. There are only four I’d do.

(1) Take a long drive in the Gremlin with Monica and a pile of friends, clown car style.

(2) Yeah I know it would violate some of my ethics, but I’d have a really nicely done steak dinner.

(3) Visit my family and go to a water park with them.

(4) I would put on my backpack and find a nice trail to hike down until I died.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Well I have some specific training from Siren. She’s been really a mentor to me and I’m probably not dead because of her. I was a gymnast for nearly 10 years that’s been a huge help. I’ve studies Tai Chi for nearly as long which has been good to not get hit in the face. Then there’s all the odd ends and bits I’ve picked up from base life. While I’d never use one in anger, I do know how to use a gun, I know a bit about tactics and other things I’m sure I’d have never learned anywhere else.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Siren. Really I think she just felt sorry for me having to give up my name. So she’s been a friend and a confidant for me ever since. She helped me refine some of my abilities and made me think about how I could use them to help people.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I know a fair bit about field medicine which has to be kind of unusual for a High School Sophomore. I can pilot most small rotary aircraft and if I had to plan an amphibious assault on a beach I think I could reasonably pull it off.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I’ve had jobs, mostly on base, or just off. Since I’m in school everything is part time and usually pretty menial.

What is your preferred combat style?

First and foremost. Don’t get hit. It hurts. After that, I try my best to confuse and disorient anyone who is causing harm. Finally I do my best to subdue any of the people causing harm. My dad said that movement and confusion are keys to winning a battle, so I try to emulate that by blinking about as much as possible.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

I’ve been on the honor roll for both years in high school. I have a whole slew of medals for Gymnastics and I think there might be a trophy for a soccer team I played on.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Well, I’m still pretty new to the whole hero thing so there’s that. I also really would like a degree. I mean I have a lot of learning to do.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

No, I realize that there are a lot of people who know more than I do. Even if I don’t learn, I am more than willing to defer to an expert.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Get up, breakfast. Usually something stupidly ridiculous.

Go to school.

Lunch is nearly always something I bring because the school doesn’t seem to make enough food for lunch.

Go back to school.

Go back to the dorm/or my house and study.

Dinner is at the cafeteria or something local if there’s time and I have money.

Then if free time permits, talk with friends and relax.

On weekends I try to get out and do something.

While I don’t mind routines, it is nice when something breaks it up. Variety is the spice of life.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Tons! I love camping and backpacking. I do gymnastics and love freerunning for exercise. The outdoor things I think I picked up when in Meridian because there just want’s much to do otherwise. Gymnastics was my mom’s idea and I’ve stuck with it as much as I can. Freerunning is sort of my answer to keeping fit and practising gymnastics even when I don’t have a coach or am in a gym.

What do you do for fun?

Freerunning, camping, backpacking, hanging out with friends, going out to movies, concerts, soccer.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

It’s mostly black with white accents, like the butterfly I’m named after.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Well I usually don’t spend a lot of time on clothes. Jeans (short or long) and a Tee Shirt are usually fine. I do have a thing for summer dresses though. I like things that are not too flashy and not too girly most of the time. Pale blues and soft colors are just fine for me and I’ve been told that I’d fit in just fine at a country music concert, although I’ve never been big on hats.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

An oversized tee shirt. It’s comfortable and modest enough if I have to get up.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I have earrings, but none are special enough to mention.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

What valuables? Other than my purse, no.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Locally, by car. Love my Gremlin may it last forever! Long distance, well trains are pretty cool, but you can’t beat flying for efficiency.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No, I’m 16. I think I’m going to live forever. Okay, that was a little snarky, but no I haven’t.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

None that I can think of beyond DNA.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I’d like to be known for helping people. Protecting them and making their lives better. I’d like to be known for stopping violence and anger.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

No not really. I’m pretty tame and I don’t think I’m leaking radiation or anything nasty like that.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My optimism.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My trust.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Follow your heart. Don’t listen when other people don’t agree with your beliefs. Lead by example. Don’t be afraid to take risks.

Edited by bstripp