Once Skaere realized that the police had arrived, she slowed her run to a normal walk. Standing as normally as she could, she hoped a more human posture would help the police feel less uncomfortable around her. Sure, the indeed guy didn't get a lot of looks but the werewolf did. Must be the ears.

"There is one knocked out in the alley. He might have a concussion. " She spoke politely to the officers, giving the wary men a Wolfy bod before continuing back toward the car. She let the others talk to the police and instead decided to sniff around, literally. Her nose wasn't pressed to the ground or anything, but she was definitely checking for anything out of the ordinary.

Phantasmo the UNLIVING, having come back from getting himself a hot dog (Fight was over, he was peckish and had a dollar.) CHewing his treat, he 'ported up to where Skaere was standing. He wiped his hand on his pants before holding out his hand. "All right, miss? Sorry we weren't properly introduced, duckie - Phantasmo...the UNLIVING, at your service. Tell your friends - I do parties!" He snapped the  fingers of his outstretched hand and a business card appeared, which he offered to the wolf woman. 

"RIght! Now then - are you smelling anything unusual aside from yours truly?" He coughs, then does his version of an awkward blink; the glowing lights in his empty sockets dimmed briefly before lighting up again. "...I'm trying to stand down wind so I don't interfere with that sniffer of yours...and I'm not that bad at detective work myself, you know. Anything old Phantasmo can do to help?" It was remarkable how much the zombie was able to talk - obviously getting him to shut up would be a bit of a task.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coiled Lightning smiled at the masked man as he approached with the jewels. "Efficient work back there, detaining the criminals. After my hasty dismount from the crashing car, I don't know that I could have caught up with all of them in time. My name's Coiled Lightning, I don't think I've run in to you while swinging around on patrol before." He might just need to keep an eye on this guy in the future, he seemed to be a little close to the edge. Hard to know for sure after just seeing the one fight, but maybe he should be watched to be sure.

Wildcat gave Lightning a wary once over, eyes hard as they flicked up and down.

"Wildcat," he replied shortly.  "Can't say as I've seen you about either," he countered -- conveniently leaving out the fact that he was quite new to the whole hero scene.

He had to admit, though -- that dismount had been...'spectacular'.

"You did fairly well yourself, when you had your feet under you," he continued, nodding marginally.  "Any idea what's up with the dog and the corpse?" he asked, nodding back toward the wrecked car.  There was no doubt about it, to his nose -- the guy was dead, no matter that he was wandering around and talking to people.

"This would be them."  The officer replied to Wildcat as he caught the bag of jewelry and gems the hero tossed over.  Then he gave the hero a small grin.  "Unfortunately they never seem to learn." 

Neither Wildcat nor Skaere picked up any unusual scents from the matchbook, only that of one of the crooks and what one would expect from a book of matches.  But as Skaere examined it, the name on the outside cover seemed familiar.  After a few moments, the werewolf was rather certain that she had heard it was the name for a shipping company that had shut down a couple years ago after failing some Board of Health inspection. 

But the book of matches was brand new, with only a couple of matches missing.  The address on the outside cover was for a place somewhere down near the waterfront.

"I haven't met them before, either." Coiled Lightning looked over at the other two heroes by the car. "Don't know what to say about them. The wolf's certainly strong. Not everyone can stand in front of a speeding car and not budge. I didn't get as close a look at the other as you, I guess. A zombie, you think? With some sort of magic, well you certainly don't see that every day."

He shook his head, this city continued to surprise him. He headed over to the car to meet the others, three new potential allies could be useful in the future.

Skaere blinked and turned from her search to survey the undead creature before her. his open friendliness was unusual to her. Most shyed away and understandably so. She supposed maybe this zombie had seen weirder. Heck, one could argue that he was the weird one. 

Still Skaere reached out a hand, careful of her claws as she gave his a firm shake. Now she was gonna smell like dead guy "Skeare." (ski-air) She said the word woth a strange inflection, almost an accent hidden in the tones of her voice. He seemed harmless enough and no small measure of entertaining. "Nice to meet you. I hope you do birthdays."

She laughed a bit when the business card was produced. She went to take it but stopped short and shook her head. Gesturing to herself she shrugged. "Can't. No pockets."

Skaere sniffed a bit more before turning and laughing. "No. No nothing unusual past the living dead guy." She smiles, wanting him to know she means no offense. "Just stale booze and cheap body spray doing a poor job of masking someone's killer B.O. aside from that... You are fine. Trust me, I have smelled worse. Just keep your uh eyeholes peeled. They have to have left something...." her voice trailed off when her eyes focused on the matchbook in Wildcat's hand. "Hey wait... I know that name." She leans in, oblivious to any discomfort she may be causing him. "Didn't they get shut down a few years ago? Something about a failed health inspection and some cargo. Thought they went bankrupt or something."

Taking the matchbook back when offered, Wildcat turned it over in his hands for a moment.

"Huh.  Well, this isn't a few years old," he observed, running a fingertip along the edge of the book.  "Might be worth looking into, if someone's set up a bar or something using an old company's name, maybe using it as a place to set up poorly planned heists like this one," he observed.  He himself didn't have anything better to do this evening -- so far, this little scuffle had been the extent of what was going on in the neighbourhood.

He glanced at the others, and realized he didn't have any sort of decent excuse to be aloof here.  "...call me Wildcat," he introduced himself gruffly.  He drew the line at offering a hand around to be shaken, however....

The man in blue looked over at the matchbook himself, "Doesn't seem smart to carry around ads for your cover business when out on the job, but who said criminals were smart."

"We could swing around and have a look, I don't have any other plans for the night. Maybe they've got some stolen goods from more successful heists there." Coiled Lightning shrugged, he hoped he would have a chance to make a better impression in front of these new allies, to make up for his somewhat comic failure with the car. "Or maybe the genius mastermind behind all this will be waiting for us."

With the decision made to go and check out the warehouse, the police officers taking the thieves into custody indicated they would call in a report on the warehouse and get some squad cars there to provide some backup, in case it turned out to be more than just a coincidence.  The four heroes then set off toward the waterfront, covering the dozens of blocks quickly. 

The area around the warehouse in question was quite, and rather dark given a number of streetlights in the area were burned out (or simply purposely broken).  At first glance, the old South River Storage and Shipping warehouse was what one would expect, somewhat run down, with all visible windows boarded up and the doors all shut up tight.  But, its apparent deserted and shut down appearance did not explain where there was a sedan and dark van parked in the shadows behind the building. 

Wildcat eyed the building consideringly, very aware of the audience he'd brought with him.  He wasn't really used to working with people yet, and it was a decidedly unsettling feeling, knowing that not only were people depending on him, but they'd probably be judging his performance as well.  As, well, 'peers', he supposed.

"I'll check things out up top," he suggested in a low voice, glancing around the small,oddly-composed group.  "See if there's a way in by the roof, check for sentries, that sort of thing."  Not that he didn't think his companions weren't capable of being stealthy, but....

He looked from wolf-man -- er, wolf-woman, apparently -- to tuxedo-wearing zombie to blue-clad sparkling whip-wielder.

Well...he didn't have any hard evidence that they were, either.  Better take the chances himself -- he at least knew what he was capable of.

Ghosting toward the building, keeping to shadows where he could and avoiding moving in a manner that might draw the eye, he paused near the corner and took a moment to listen for anything untoward coming from inside the building.  Using drainpipes, windowsills, and fire escapes as they presented themselves, he proceeded to quietly scale the side of the building to the roof.

Coiled Lightning deactivated his whip and crouched in the darkness across the street as Wildcat set off to scout the roof. "We'll watch your back. Don't head inside without us. Wouldn't be fair to hog the action." he said, quietly with a glance at the others.

The masked man seemed good at sticking to the shadows and hugging to the wall as he climbed. He should be safe from any casual viewers on the inside, but Lightning did his best to track his progress and watch for unexpected trouble, ready to jump in for the assist.

Trying to listen for any sounds from within the building proved rather fruitless for Wildcat.  Between the walls of the building and the other sounds in the city, he could not pick up anything fro the warehouse, at least not yet.

making his way down to street level, the dark clad hero easily made his way through the shadows to the warehouse.  Once there, it was a rather simple matter for Wildcat to climb up the walls with the various handholds and other exterior objects.  Soon, he was moving along the dark roof of the building, finding a number of skylights spaced out across it.

Moving to the nearest skylight, the hero saw light inside the main area of the warehouse, a few shadows moving across the ground from figures just out of his field of vision.

Well, the warehouse was definitely inhabited -- score the first detail of intelligence gathered.  Nothing all that specific so far, however, so he slipped forward to check out the view through the next skylight.  He took great care in placing his feet -- growing up in an apartment like he had, he was well aware of just how loud someone's feet on the floor above you could be, and he didn't want to tip anyone off that someone was skulking around on the roof.

Best case scenario, they'd send someone up to investigate and he'd have to try and quietly subdue them.  Worse case, they'd open fire on the ceiling or something and he'd end up bleeding and full of holes.

Worst case wasn't a likely scenario, but that was one of the reasons it was a worst-case one....

Phantasmo paced nervously, anxious at not DOING anything...but well-aware that his more....flashy personality would be of no help to the recon that the young man was attempting. Still, though, he wished he could do SOMETHING...He turned to his lightning-whip-wielding compatriot and whispered, "So! Been in freedom city long, duckie?" If only to break the silence that he had found quite uncomfortable.

The zombie magician had conjured a pair of his playing card projectiles in case things got hairy, but he was still impatient.  

Coiled Lightning looked back at Phantasmo and nodded, "Born and raised down in Southside. Still living down there, most days.  But I haven't been swinging around as Coiled Lightning all that long, it's all still a bit of a rush. Gets the adrenaline flowing, if you know what I mean." He looked the creepy magician over a bit and felt a bit embarrassed. Was this guy really some sort of zombie like Wildcat said? He might not have any adrenaline to flow.

Quickly moving on, he asked. "How about you? You, uh.. live here long?"

"Ahhh, I'm a son of Londontown, duckie!" the zombie waved his hand in a cavalier manner. "Lived in Freedom City...hmmm, a while now. '92, I believe...maybe 93. A few months after I woke up with a mouthful of grave dirt and a worm in my ear. Dug myself out, hopped a boat, moved in with the local homeless lads...haven't done the "Super Hero" thing long, though." He shrugs. "But the lads said - "Harry, you should try it...you've got powers, and you've got the oddness." 

He suddenly realized what he said, and shrugged. "Whoops. There's the line, isn't it? Just revealed my first name." He held out his hand. "Might as well reveal my last one, too. Harry Trent - Also known as Phantasmo." He grinned. "Not like I have a real identity to keep, issit?" 

"London? Never been over there. Heard it's nice. I guess you didn't want to stay over where you, uh died, though." He was clearly a little uncomfortable talking about death with the undead.

"But nice to meet you, Harry. I've been keeping my real name to myself for now. Protecting the family and loved ones, you know. And myself I guess. The whip doesn't protect me much when I'm asleep."

He looked back up at the building, "You think this kid is going to find anything skulking around up there?" he asked.

Skaere may be a werewolf, but her sneaking skills weren't that great. She was more the 'break down the front door guns blazing' kind of girl. And by guns she meant claws. Still, she kept an eye, and her keen nose out as Wildcat made his way across the rooftops.

From her perch on the fire escape, Skaere could hear the other's speaking above her and hoped up onto the edge just in time for Phantasmo's introduction. "I'd stick with 'Phantasmo'. Has a certain ring to it that suits you." She shrugged, smiling a bit of a wolfy smile. 

" Are condolences in order? Not sure if... this-" she gestured to him. "-was intentional or.... well, let's just say I definitely know what it's like to wake up.... different." Skaere herself had a slight accent, one someone tuned in might pick up under the animalistic husk that her hybrid form adds to her voice. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Phatasmo works", agreed Coiled Lightning, "Besides, if you go around calling yourself Harry while doing magic, people might think you're obsessed with a kid's book. Especially with the British accent.

"I have to say that you don't really come off as... scary as you'd expect a dead wizard to be. I think the wolf's got you beat there." He gave a smile to the werewolf as well, hoping she wasn't offended by the comparison. That would be a bad idea, especially if she was the contagious kind of werewolf. He had enough trouble explaining to Jane where he disappeared at night, if he had to start worrying about the moon...

Skaere may be a werewolf, but her sneaking skills weren't that great. She was more the 'break down the front door guns blazing' kind of girl. And by guns she meant claws. Still, she kept an eye, and her keen nose out as Wildcat made his way across the rooftops.

From her perch on the fire escape, Skaere could hear the other's speaking above her and hoped up onto the edge just in time for Phantasmo's introduction. "I'd stick with 'Phantasmo'. Has a certain ring to it that suits you." She shrugged, smiling a bit of a wolfy smile. 

" Are condolences in order? Not sure if... this-" she gestured to him. "-was intentional or.... well, let's just say I definitely know what it's like to wake up.... different." Skaere herself had a slight accent, one someone tuned in might pick up under the animalistic husk that her hybrid form adds to her voice. 

Phantasmo waved her off. "Ahhh, I made a deal with the Devil - or rather, A devil - and had to face the consequences. My own fault, really." He smiles at Coiled Lightning. "Well, my REAL real name's Henry. Harry's just a nickname, duckie. And thanks - Scaring people who aren't total sh*ts is bad for the legitimate work and all that. 

He hmmms and nods. "If the boy knows what he's doing, he might. I can't imagine those matchbook bastards sticking around long if they know we're here, though. Still, nothing to do now but wait and see, I suppose."

He ports away and comes back a few minutes later carrying another hot dog, which he begins eating with gusto. "Bloody brilliant hot dogs around here, you know. And bloody brilliant buggers who don't mind selling to members of the undead community. Lovely." 

Wildcat was able to move quietly enough across the rooftop, a feat made easier by the thick nature of the roof itself.  Soon he was over by the other skylight, leaning as far forward as he dared to avoid being silhouetted by the moonlight.    

Looking down, the vigilante saw three men busy loading firearms into a open crate, packing around them white foam.  Several other open crates were nearby, filled with a variety of electronics and other items.  Shadows moving across the floor told Wildcat there were at least a few other people within the building as well.

Given that it seemed there was at least half a dozen people inside, and from the look of things they had access to some pretty decent firepower, Wildcat was obscurely glad that he had backup with him tonight, no matter how unusual of a circumstance that was for him.

While he'd rather have more information on what was going on below than less, he realized that getting what he did know back to the others was probably more important than getting discovered trying to skulk around further and leaving them ignorant to the situation.

Backing away from the skylight, he padded back across the roof and dropped back down the side of the building to the ground.  Loping back to where he had left the rest of their impromptu quartet, he quickly filled them in as to definite numbers, potential numbers, electronics, and guns.

"Looks like they've got themselves quite a stash of valuables there," he concluded, flexing his shoulders briefly in an attempt to dispel some of the tension there.  "Could be pretty dangerous, if they're using military-grade weapons instead of just selling them."  If they didn't want to go in, fine -- he'd figure out where to go next all on his own.  That was how he preferred it, right?

Coiled Lightning listened carefully to Wildcat's report. "Well, we definitely don't want that kind of hardware loose on the street. We have to do something." He tried to picture the scene as Wildcat had described it. "Preferrably we get in there and stop them before they have a chance to use those weapons on us. We could probably drop in through the skylight and surprise them, but they're not necessarily the only ones in the building. Anyone else would come looking and come prepared"

Storming buildings with armed occupants was always scary, but somebody had to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Skaere was about to speak again when Wildcat returned. The werewolf turned on the spot, her tall frame straightening as he spoke of what he saw. Her fur was practically standing on end at the idea of a confrontation. She couldn't help her natural instincts. Normally she wasn't exactly confrontational, but since becoming a werewolf she's been a little more keen on the idea. "I'm game. I can take a few shots no problem. One of the perks of my condition." She smiled a toothy grin, looking at the others. "I'm not very stealthy, something I should probably work on but... should I go in guns... well, claws blazing? Shock and awe?"

Wildcat frowned.  While he didn't so much prefer to go in 'guns blazing', as it were, he had to admit he did tend to prefer a more...direct...approach when it came to dealing with thugs, rather than a clever one.  But when he heard someone else expressing a similar preference, it sounded so...basic.  Was that what he was like, more stealthy approach or no?

"Well, maybe," he temporized, glancing about again.  "Problem with that, what if there are people in buildings nearby, that aren't involved in this at all?  If we go in there and cause a panic, and they start shooting everywhere, someone innocent might catch a bullet," he pointed out.  He himself didn't tend to deal with things that involved that much firepower...inasmuch as he had a 'tend to', given how short a time he'd been doing this so far...for just that reason.

Trying to help out and making things worse didn't really appeal to him.

"Anybody got any ideas that might keep them from accidentally shooting someone?" he asked hopefully.  "I'll take my chances with myself if I have to, but...."