Finder - Folkert - PL 10

Folkert

Could you please rephrase this as I'm not eaxctly sure what you saying? Thanks.

You Minion is in front of you, on whatever piece of jewelry it's set in, always. Thus, it's technically always providing cover for you.

However, it's so very hard to attack and damage, it can't relaly provide effective cover.

However, this same difficulty to be attacked & damage also make it such a questionable buy: the ability to be attacked and damaged and taken out of a fight is the big inherent drawback/limit to having Minions (or Sidekicks). By adding powers that make these things extremely unlikely, you're getting around that inherent limit.

This makes me wonder: Hoe would you stat up a sentinent quantum computer whose basic structure consists of a cloud of free-ranging quarks?

Enhanced Feats and Skills, maybe Datalink and Communication and some Super-Senses. I wouldn't even say it'd be a Hard to Lose Restricted 3 Device, since a "cloud of free-ranging quarks" sounds like something that'd be as difficult to remove as implanted cyberwear (i.e., requires fairly specialized tools & knowledge, and more than a few rounds, to do it safely).

The sentient/sapient part is largely flavor text, or possibly with a Check Required (Diplomacy, or Intimidate, or maybe even Knowledge/Civics to come up with a legal precedent for letting you do X, Y, or Z) flaw to convince the A.I. to help you.

Device (hard-to-lose) with Restricted 3, so that only you can use it properly and most others can't take it away from you. Add whatever bonuses that the computer gives you as the Device's effect.

Enhanced Feats and Skills, maybe Datalink and Communication and some Super-Senses. I wouldn't even say it'd be a Hard to Lose Restricted 3 Device, since a "cloud of free-ranging quarks" sounds like something that'd be as difficult to remove as implanted cyberwear (i.e., requires fairly specialized tools & knowledge, and more than a few rounds, to do it safely).

The sentient/sapient part is largely flavor text, or possibly with a Check Required (Diplomacy, or Intimidate, or maybe even Knowledge/Civics to come up with a legal precedent for letting you do X, Y, or Z) flaw to convince the A.I. to help you.

Interesting conceptions but both fail to cover what I consider the essential core of the idea.

Where is the distinctly different personality that not only supplies powers "to order" as your builds would do but can also act on its own and use its abilities perfectly - not only without the conscious control of Finder, but also circumventing without problems it if necessary - and for it's own purposes if it wants to? That can und will turn on Finder down the road because their purposes no longer mesh?

The Power Loss drawback and GM Fiat handle the ability of the device or powers to not work for you or to work against you, respectively. This is almost exactly what "Meg" is on Megastar. In his case, it's simply a Benefit along the lines of "Can consult Meg for advice".

It sounds like you want to handle it as a minion or sidekick. At that point, the GM is controlling the character anyway, and I think we'd get into arguments about whether the sentient computer is acting the way that you would have wanted. That is a road I don't want to travel.

The Power Loss drawback and GM Fiat handle the ability of the device or powers to not work for you or to work against you, respectively. This is almost exactly what "Meg" is on Megastar. In his case, it's simply a Benefit along the lines of "Can consult Meg for advice".

It sounds like you want to handle it as a minion or sidekick. At that point, the GM is controlling the character anyway, and I think we'd get into arguments about whether the sentient computer is acting the way that you would have wanted. That is a road I don't want to travel.

First: Yes. I'd really like to make the AI a minion/sidekick because that is exactly what it is. But if I can't I won't.

You say that wouldn't work because it might lead to arguments, something you don't want to get into. Okay, I've no trouble understanding that.

But what I don't understand is why you think that relying on vague devices such as Power Loss (When the DPA doesn't feel like it) and GM Fiat would avoid getting into such arguments, especially as now the specific framework of the DPA's abilities (the statted-up minion/sidekick) is no longer available.

Folkert

That's because you'd presumably give a motivation for your super-science computer that would allow for the GM to decide whether the power loss would come into effect. I'd probably go with the complication for this reason; you get a hero point each time that your computer gets upset with you.

Really, your description of your sentient computer as a minion or sidekick sounds like an excuse to take Insubstantial 4 and avoid spending any power points on defense, then get the benefits of having a second character for a fraction of the cost to buy the skills, feats, attacks, etc. directly. I've checked through the books, and the only example I could find of a character who bought a powerful minion was Valkyrie from Paragons. Her minion is immobile and installed at her headquarters, so that is quite a bit different from what you're proposing.

That's because you'd presumably give a motivation for your super-science computer that would allow for the GM to decide whether the power loss would come into effect. I'd probably go with the complication for this reason; you get a hero point each time that your computer gets upset with you.

So the GM playing the sidekick might lead to arguments, but the GM adjudicating whether the Power Loss comes into effect and whether the AI works against the PC via GM's Fiat would not?

Frankly, I fail to see that.

Really, your description of your sentient computer as a minion or sidekick sounds like an excuse to take Insubstantial 4 and avoid spending any power points on defense, then get the benefits of having a second character for a fraction of the cost to buy the skills, feats, attacks, etc. directly.

Interesting.