Force Field

If I wanted to change my forcefield into a field that surrounds me and the people standing next to me (but not touching me) and a force field I could project to shield other with, maybe even shield 2 groups at the same time (though probably with reduced effectiveness) wouldn't that make the power insanely expensive..

I'm also a little puzzled with power feats and extra's I'd need to apply. Anyone have some basic template with which I could work.. ?

Well, here's the problem with that: one, you cannot project your field at a distance unless you buy it up to ranged. If the people are in your field range already, it's fine, but then I don't understand why you wouldn't want to protect yourself as well.

Two, you cannot imprison people with a force field, or at least not an unenhanced one. You'd need to add on Affects Others and Attack (a +1 and +0 respectively) before you could do what you're talking about. At the price, it's cheaper to simply get Create Object at a high level and tack on Subtle 2 so they are invisible.

It's not a bad idea, though.

I'm not even sure you could imprison people in a Force Field even if you bought the attack extra. All Force Field does is add a bonus to Toughness. Nothing more.

I think VM is right with his Create Object suggestion. Maybe an Alt Power of your Force Field.

Well, here's the problem with that: one, you cannot project your field at a distance unless you buy it up to ranged. If the people are in your field range already, it's fine, but then I don't understand why you wouldn't want to protect yourself as well.

Two, you cannot imprison people with a force field, or at least not an unenhanced one. You'd need to add on Affects Others and Attack (a +1 and +0 respectively) before you could do what you're talking about. At the price, it's cheaper to simply get Create Object at a high level and tack on Subtle 2 so they are invisible.

It's not a bad idea, though.

I think I understand what you mean, let me sum it up to see if I'm correct:

I could use the ranged extra to increase the range of my force field, but it's center point would still be on myself. I can't make the center point of the force field somewhere else then ? So that means I would always be in range of my own force field, which is why it's pointless not to include myself ?

because I basically want to be able to shield a small group of people around me, but be able to project a force field say 1000 yards away to protect a group of people there...

Barnum's right, FF canot be used to trap folks, no more than Ranged Protection could.

If you want to be able to use your FF to catch folks, use Create Object or Snare as an alternate power.

But looking at the extra's and power feats, it would seem that a force field, is literally a force field. It goes both ways.. bullets can't come into the force field, but they also can't come out.. unless you take a power feat..

or what about the flaw permanent ? it suggests that if you can't turn it off, you get trouble trying to eat something, since food can't penetrate the force field..

because I basically want to be able to shield a small group of people around me, but be able to project a force field say 1000 yards away to protect a group of people there...

The first part can be done as Force Field (Extra: Affects Others [+1 to get both others & yourself]; Power Feat: Progression [for up to eight people around you, all touching you]), or the Affects Others [+1] and Area/Radius extras to get a bigger group (who don't need to touch you).

The second part (if only protecting a group of folks some distance away, and not yourself) can be done with the Affects Others (+0 to change from "Personal" to "Touch"), Range/Ranged, and Area/Radius extras.

To do both simultaneously, you'd need... I'm not entirely certain.

But looking at the extra's and power feats, it would seem that a force field, is literally a force field. It goes both ways.. bullets can't come into the force field, but they also can't come out.. unless you take a power feat..

Incorrect. A non-Selective force field does not stop the protected person from firing out, it just means he cannot set it to ignore some things from coming in to him (like the healing touch of a comrade). Force Field does not work both ways; Create Object and Snare do.

The only effect of Force Field, like Protection, is to protect a character from damage (by raising their Toughness save). Nothing more, nothing less. Force fields can be used for more effects (as Susan Storm shows us), but that's via Alternate/Associated Powers.

or what about the flaw permanent ? it suggests that if you can't turn it off, you get trouble trying to eat something, since food can't penetrate the force field..

The "can't eat" thing is something additional added to make Permanent a true flaw on a Force Field (otherwise, a Permanent Force Field is just Protection).

• 4 weeks later...

The first part can be done as Force Field (Extra: Affects Others [+1 to get both others & yourself]; Power Feat: Progression [for up to eight people around you, all touching you]), or the Affects Others [+1] and Area/Radius extras to get a bigger group (who don't need to touch you).

The second part (if only protecting a group of folks some distance away, and not yourself) can be done with the Affects Others (+0 to change from "Personal" to "Touch"), Range/Ranged, and Area/Radius extras.

I was thinking about an array actually.. If I put another force field power into the array, I could somehow make 2 forcefields, though at decreased strength right ?

I was thinking about an array actually.. If I put another force field power into the array, I could somehow make 2 forcefields, though at decreased strength right ?