His eyes closed the moment she thought, or considered, or whatever for that hug.  "I have a hard time controlling my power when I am touched...  In that fashion, at least."  Shifting from foot to foot uncomfortably until Thaelia opened the door, and he visibly looked relaxed, and he opened his eyes.  I don't want her to know.  Dead... dead end... it... wont help.  He kept his thoughts bound up, he realized it was likely a stupid gesture,  But then he ran through the permutation in his head, and he felt he was being realistic in his assumptions.

"American movie writer director, famous for teen comedies that explored interpersonal relationships and self-acceptance.  They were generally set in and around Chicago.  The majority of the characters come from upper middle class. to upper class, skewing representation and making the broad points and themes explored less than universal."  His response came out in a more normal Elias tone.  "If you want I can show you a couple."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another smile beamed on the Atlantean's face.  "I would like that."  The only thing she really knew about Chicago was they apparently people sung tales of it.  That and their friend Sam was from there.  Well, she wasn't actually sure where Sam was from.  An infernal dimesnon maybe.  

But, the girl seemed to reside in Chicago at the moment.  Or at least she knew it well enough to jump there and back.  Which meant some level of familiarity.  Oh, and they also had their own style of pizza.  One that was less than popular in the shops around town.  As a New England state, there was obvious favoritism to the New York Style.

Now pizza was a subject everyone could enjoy.  And one that Thaelia was ready to resume engaging in.  Making her way back to her plate she added two more slices.  "We return young lady Cline.  Does your meal find you well?"  Thaelia asked turning to Holly.

Holly shrugged, studying both her babysitters with slightly narrowed eyes. "It's okay," she told them with a shrug. From the look of things, she had picked all the pineapples off her slice of pizza and eaten them first, and was now engaged in the same process with her ham. "Pizza in California was way better. There was like really good cheese, and the pineapple was fresh instead of from cans. You guys aren't going to start yelling at each other again, right?" she demanded of both equally. "You're all okay and stuff now?" The tone of her voice suggested that the answer had better be an unequivocal "yes."

Elias never really took pleasure in food, he saw it as a thing he had to do.  Thaelia was right, the lessons he had picked up where not necessarily ones derived from happiness.  Both instructed from places of fear.  "We might.  If we do, she will likely knock me out.  If I can't get away."  He picked up his glass and looked at the pizza on his plate frowning for a moment, before he scooped it up, one of each, and he moved to settle his back against a wall, his eyes on both of them as he folded one of the slices and he started to eat the one with anchovies, complete with the little crunches of the bone under his teeth.

Chewing thoughtfully he shrugged a little bit, "I didn't have pizza until... last year?"  He frowned, his lips pursed a little bit, before he had drink, and then he took a bite of the Hawaiian pizza and chewed on it as well.  And never once did he take his eyes off of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thaelia neither confirmed nor denied that she would take the option of knocking Elias out.  Instead, she smiled sheepishly.  "Yes, I do believe your concern is appeased.  Things are as your brother once said a lair of tubes."  As the others recounted their pizza experiences so too did the Atlantean princess.   

"I too, ate my first pizza last year.  Through some unknown sorcery it was crafted with the cheese inside of the outer bread."  Thaelia told them with admiration.  Apparently impressed with the notion of stuffed crust.  "I would like to visit California and experience their pizzas and earthquakes.  Oh!  I would also enjoy exchanging blows with the local fiends."  

Thaelia responded.  Reaffirming that despite trying to set a good example by declaring she wouldn't be punching Errant's mother, she  was still one to enjoy a good row when it came down to it.

"Chicago style..."  He paused a moment, and then  he looked to her.  "There is a war of pizza ideaologies, mostly between New York style and Chicago style.  I don't know.  I am not far removed from scavenging, and hunting for my food.  My experience in California was either in the desert or the time we ran afoul of the Cartel...."  For Elias it was easy to slip into a memory, though he tried to sort out if it was his.  And then he blinked a bit and he looked at Holly.  The authenticity of the girls rubbed off on the normally stoic and cards against his chest psychic.

"I got mad because some guys tried to kidnap her.  My parents are bad people, and so... they taught me bad things to do with my mind... I try to lock all of that away.  When I get mad it's hard to do that.  She got upset, and... I avoided her, because... I don't know."  Managed to convey quite a bit to Thaelia, when he glanced at her, clear he was trying to be delicate with Holly's feelings.  The sometimes dense Atlantean might be able to pierce things together with the   "Feeling like she thought I was bad too, or was like my parents.  But, regardless, I think we can avoid an argument for awhile"

• 2 weeks later...

"I used to live in California," Holly told Thaelia. "You should definitely go there if you can, you'll probably like it a lot. Most things are better there. It's warmer there, and our house was bigger. And there aren't earthquakes hardly ever, you just do drills about them in school in case one happens. At my school there, we played lacrosse instead of stupid softball, and I was really good at it. All my friends and I were on the team together. And you can see movie stars, like, all the time, and sometimes I got to be on TV. That's what I wanted to do when I grew up, be a real movie star, not like my mom and dad." She scowled down at her half-eaten pizza. "But now I hafta be a superhero instead, and live in Freedom City, and have really stupid homework like not thinking about things. It sucks." She gave them a brief look as though half-expecting to be chastised for her strong language before settling in for a sulk. At least she seemed far too distracted by her own woes to pick up on any subtext from her babysitters.