The Scout and the Sailor [Open...ish]

The Sailor

The blonde girl shrugged. "I'm sure something will come up, but we live in Freedom, so unfortunately weirdness strikes here a lot." There was a loud gurgle from her stomach, which brought a hint of pink to her cheeks. "Okay, sounds like I'm ready to eat, too!" She fixed herself a plate, piling on her typically large portions "Hmm, tofu dogs aren't too bad, but I think I'll need to eat twice as many of them!" Casey chewed for a while, then took another swig of Coke. "I think you have to remember how lucky we are; we have these options, these powers or gifts. We live in a country that's not at war within its own borders." She shrugged. "I mean, it sucks that your sister is so messed up, but at least you're in a position to do something about it; that has to count for something, right?"

"Yeah... I guess it comes with the cape... or sailor collar in my case." She said, continuing her meal.

"So... what do you do for hobbies? For fun? I was thinking of setting up something this summer for us, even the students graduating this year. It'd be open invitation, but I was thinking a short summer cruise in the pacific would be fun. That and I want to restart the Claremont Sailing Club here. Might be a fun distraction for everyone."

She looked up at the blue glass above her, and the stars in the sky. It was virtual, but that didn't make it any less beautiful. "My folks know of a nice island we can spend a few days at. And just get away..."

She giggled. "As for the near term, anything you wanted to do later on? May's looking rather open on my schedule."

Casey shrugged. "Me, I'm outdoor girl; if it's outside, I'm there. I like boats, too. But I also like playing board games, reading; I really want to work on the school paper, but i don't know if there actually is one. Heck, I'll start one if I have to!" She sat up straight and squared her shoulders. "'Casey Blankensip, editor-in-chief!'" She nodded in satisfaction. "Got a nice ring to it, don't it? Might have to get working on that."

The blonde ate in silence for a bit, then nodded slowly. "I think we should build something, like a community project? I did lots of that stuff with the Scouts; repairing bridges and walkways at state parks, replacing old unsafe playground equipment..." Then an idea struck her, and her eyes got big. "We could build a spaceship! Not like a real one, but one like they used to have in old playgrounds, you know? With ladders and rope bridges and slides; we could design it together and build it! What do you think?"

"Actually, the faculty's been wanting me to arrange a group of students for a zero-gravity confidence course on the Lighthouse. It should be ready in May for the first training class. Might even get to do a space walk. Of course close to the station itself."

Sakurako grinned. "They'll even be sending space suits for those that need them. I think it might be a good idea. Someone mentioned the attack on the station during the bigger part of the wave those communion things did showed some glaring holes in training and knowledge superheroes have in terms of dealing with a micro-gravity and zero gravity environment."

She adjusted herself a bit. "I'm just not a fan of not being allowed to use my suit in the training. I'll have to be in the Claremont suit for everything but the space walk. I guess they heard about the microthruster array on the flight system of my suit."

Edited by Osprey
  • 1 month later...

Casey paused with a forkful of potato salad on its way to her mouth. "Wow; you really don't do things halfway, do you?" She shook her head in admiration. "Well I'm not going to lie: it would be really, really cool to go up there." She shaded her eyes and peered skyward, forgetting for the moment that this sky was projected. "Hopefully soon; who knows, maybe one day I might be tough enough to head on up there without a suit! it's been done before."

The tall blonde continued to munch on her food quietly, seemingly happy just to hang out with a friend.

Sakurako sighed. "As long as the Adults play ball, otherwise there's no hope on that idea. They're already rustled up after the incursion."

The pink haired girl shook her head. "And yeah I sort of do have to think things through to put adults in a corner. If they pull the "Just No" response then I can pressure them more on another project... until they finally agree on something."

"To be honest I can't wait to be legal just to have fewer obstacles. I got so much I want to do but no way to do it without oversight. It's... annoying." She said. "Then again there's so much I don't know. Why you think I try to get involved with as many of the more experienced heroes as I can? So I know where not to go?"

• 2 weeks later...

Casey looked thoughtful as she wiped her mouth with a napkin. "Mmm. I...might know someone with military and government connections; if we have to, that's another avenue we can explore." Her face was somewhat clouded as she set her plate aside, but then that warm smile came back to her face. "All right, enough thinking about the future; what should we do right now?" She gestured towards the the beach around them. "Is there anything else this sim can do that we haven't tried to break yet?" She reached down and ran her fingers through the sand. "What happens if we try to build a sand castle?"