The Hunt

Avalon

It's midnight in the West End and all seems well as most of the residents have gone to sleep with only a few street gangs smoking assorted drugs in back alleys. This silence is broken by screams and gunfire as members Malanti gang run away from an 8-foot tall behemoth who has already left several gang members dying or dead from severe injuries to their guts or throats.

It's midnight in the West End and all seems well as most of the residents have gone to sleep with only a few street gangs smoking assorted drugs in back alleys. This silence is broken by screams and gunfire as members Malanti gang run away from an 8-foot tall behemoth who has already left several gang members dying or dead from severe injuries to their guts or throats.

The gunfire awakens Fred Fawcett, high in his apartment over the lower-middle-class area. Blearily, the old man rises to his feet and walks with slow deliberation to the window. He's in one of the better parts of the neighborhood, close to the macrobiotic Arabic market that originally attracted him to the area. His liver-spotted fingers move slowly as they unfasten the window, sliding it open against the noise of a Freedom City night.

When he hears the screams and the gunshots again, this time unfiltered by glass and plasters, he knows what he has to do. "Why can't they be out at a more reasonable hour?"! the old man exclaims to his empty apartment, a moment before "SHIM-RA!" transforms him into the white and gold figure of Captain Wonder with a flash of light and noise.

He's out the window a few moments later, flying fast enough to foil any witnesses, before he begins his search of the neighborhood for the source of the noise. It turns out to be not that difficult to spy a giant demon attacking a group of fleeing gang members, and Wonder is appalled at the carnage he's already seeing. He takes a moment to size up his antagonist, his cape fluttering behind him in the breeze.

"MONSTER!" he booms, his voice echoing in the night air, a clear, unmistakeable figure of magical power and authority. "Why don't you try a beating instead?!"

He's out the window a few moments later, flying fast enough to foil any witnesses, before he begins his search of the neighborhood for the source of the noise. It turns out to be not that difficult to spy a giant demon attacking a group of fleeing gang members, and Wonder is appalled at the carnage he's already seeing. He takes a moment to size up his antagonist, his cape fluttering behind him in the breeze.

"MONSTER!" he booms, his voice echoing in the night air, a clear, unmistakeable figure of magical power and authority. "Why don't you try a beating instead?!"

"I would suck the marrow out of your bones if I wanted but fear makes the meal so much more sweet. I will hunt you down later. For now, I will satisfy myself with these younglings who think their weapons would have any lasting effect on me."

Without missing a step, Stygwyr continues on his hunt unmindful of the hero floating in the sky. With each step his speed increases as though the scent of blood in the night air fills him with a desire to quickly hunt down the person from which it came from.

Without missing a step, Stygwyr continues on his hunt unmindful of the hero floating in the sky. With each step his speed increases as though the scent of blood in the night air fills him with a desire to quickly hunt down the person from which it came from.

Well, this is going to be a challenge. Faced with such an imposing enemy, Wonder bleakly wonders if maybe he should have joined a super-team after all. But there was no way to change the facts now, and no time to hesitate with civilians in peril. "Foul spawn of Typhon and Gul'dan!"

Wonder tries for a hit and run strike against this powerful opponent, flying high in the sky before swooping down to land a surprisingly powerful punch right in the monster's face! He's up in the air again a moment later, flying high out of reach of those nasty-looking claws.

That punch was stronger than what Captain Wonder expected. Before Stygwyr could react, he was flying from the force of the impact. Luckily he skids to a stop on the street some 250 feet away.

Wonder blinks, surprised at the success of his attack? Could he have been fooled about the monster's prowess? Or is it shamming now? He lands feet-first on the asphalt near the demon, striding up to it powerfully. "Surrender now," he says evenly, "and I'll help you return to your home plane peacefully. Otherwise, I'm going to beat you there."

"I don't think that would be necessary Captain Wonder. I am on my home plane right now."

Standing up after that punch Captain Wonder gave him, he rises to his full height.

"You took me away from my hunt! If I cannot have their blood, I will surely have yours!"

Stygwyr slams his fist to the ground as another punch rushes past him. In response, the very earth itself rises up to engulf the Captain in a rocky embrace.

"I don't think that would be necessary Captain Wonder. I am on my home plane right now."

Standing up after that punch Captain Wonder gave him, he rises to his full height.

"You took me away from my hunt! If I cannot have their blood, I will surely have yours!"

Stygwyr slams his fist to the ground as another punch rushes past him. In response, the very earth itself rises up to engulf the Captain in a rocky embrace.

Wonder rockets up high, well out of the reach of the ensnaring grasp of the earth. "Better fiends than you have tried, demon!" This is a formidable enemy, and he's going to need every trick in the book to beat him. With a flash of white and gold, he descends again to the battlefield, landing a powerful blow on the demon's midsection, before rocketing up again out of reach.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder lands next to the unconscious demon, rubbing his sweating brow tiredly. Giving Stygwr a very suspicious look, Wonder reaches down and picks up the big demon by the ankle. "All right, you. We're on our way out of here..." He flies up very high, circling out over the water. He takes it slowly, but still makes a good clip until Freedom City has actually disappeared over the horizon behind them. After that, he begins spinning in the air.

"I recognize you, son of the Deep!" he calls to Stygwr, "and now, I send you back where you belong!" A mile above the ocean, he throws the demon straight down as hard as he can.