Boost - Heroes and Villains Wanted!

Asteroth

Good Morning, Afternoon, and Evening! (Depending on where you are and when you're reading this) Thanks for stopping by to help me with my idea and hopefully lead me towards a decision that is worthwhile and fits within the confines of this wonderful Freedom City Play By Post Forum. After scanning several builds I noticed the common build types that occur in most games: Heroes and Villains that have powers they can use and gain some benefit from. That's all well and good, but what about the few who seem to possess powers that only work on others? Worse yet, make them wanted by others, no matter what the poor soul wants himself?

I've found myself thinking about making a character mainly centered around the Boost Power (Others Only). While I envision it being the 4 points per rank power, I would not be opposed to the 5 points per rank power option, boosting every trait the subject has. (Although I fear this would be overpowering and might disrupt the game itself - I would be willing to pay double the points per rank or something if this is an option at a very high price) The actual mechanics of the Boost, while not too extreme when considering PL caps even with the +2 rule, are not my concern. I am interested in the roleplay consequences of creating a power battery for others to use and potentially abuse, with little regard to what my character wants.

Now we have the poor guy who Boosts anyone who touches him, but that's not so bad, right? Just hide out, wear long sleeves, you'll be fine - no one has to even know about it. (And if I was a good and benevolent person that would be the case) Enter, Pheromones. Imagine everyone around you suddenly becoming very interested in you, almost to an unnerving degree? There's something oddly alluring about this one, you just can't place your finger on it. I see him almost radiating power, drawing people to him as they are lost within it, never consciously realizing it. Surely one could be addicted to Boost longterm, it may even be intoxicating to those who experience it over and over again.

*Ahem* But is that enough? The guy who attracts people to him and empowers them to levels beyond their maximum ability, what more could he need? I've thought about tossing in another Power or two, to give him a bit more versatility or usefulness to others. Healing (an obvious choice) would make him indespensible to any team (Hero and Villain alike), as a pocket power battery and medical kit. Power Resistance (Affects Others, Others Only) could be an interesting dynamic, helping others resist powers while they remain in contact with our tragic hero. Empowerment also seems viable, allowing others to tap into even more powers which may include: Growth, Power Control, Super Speed, Adrenal Surge, Energy Aura...the list is really endless here.

As you can clearly see, I have a lot of ideas, a rough concept, and no real guidance. I talked to the amazing Veiled Malice who was helpful, but felt I should post my ideas here for all to see and evaluate. I'm not out to make a character that is better or more important than anyone else, just focus on a different aspect of the typical power scene. Let me know what you think, I'm happy you made it to the end. Thanks for your time!

Good Morning, Afternoon, and Evening! (Depending on where you are and when you're reading this) Thanks for stopping by to help me with my idea and hopefully lead me towards a decision that is worthwhile and fits within the confines of this wonderful Freedom City Play By Post Forum. After scanning several builds I noticed the common build types that occur in most games: Heroes and Villains that have powers they can use and gain some benefit from. That's all well and good, but what about the few who seem to possess powers that only work on others? Worse yet, make them wanted by others, no matter what the poor soul wants himself?

I've found myself thinking about making a character mainly centered around the Boost Power (Others Only). While I envision it being the 4 points per rank power, I would not be opposed to the 5 points per rank power option, boosting every trait the subject has. (Although I fear this would be overpowering and might disrupt the game itself - I would be willing to pay double the points per rank or something if this is an option at a very high price) The actual mechanics of the Boost, while not too extreme when considering PL caps even with the +2 rule, are not my concern. I am interested in the roleplay consequences of creating a power battery for others to use and potentially abuse, with little regard to what my character wants.

Now we have the poor guy who Boosts anyone who touches him, but that's not so bad, right? Just hide out, wear long sleeves, you'll be fine - no one has to even know about it. (And if I was a good and benevolent person that would be the case) Enter, Pheromones. Imagine everyone around you suddenly becoming very interested in you, almost to an unnerving degree? There's something oddly alluring about this one, you just can't place your finger on it. I see him almost radiating power, drawing people to him as they are lost within it, never consciously realizing it. Surely one could be addicted to Boost longterm, it may even be intoxicating to those who experience it over and over again.

*Ahem* But is that enough? The guy who attracts people to him and empowers them to levels beyond their maximum ability, what more could he need? I've thought about tossing in another Power or two, to give him a bit more versatility or usefulness to others. Healing (an obvious choice) would make him indespensible to any team (Hero and Villain alike), as a pocket power battery and medical kit. Power Resistance (Affects Others, Others Only) could be an interesting dynamic, helping others resist powers while they remain in contact with our tragic hero. Empowerment also seems viable, allowing others to tap into even more powers which may include: Growth, Power Control, Super Speed, Adrenal Surge, Energy Aura...the list is really endless here.

As you can clearly see, I have a lot of ideas, a rough concept, and no real guidance. I talked to the amazing Veiled Malice who was helpful, but felt I should post my ideas here for all to see and evaluate. I'm not out to make a character that is better or more important than anyone else, just focus on a different aspect of the typical power scene. Let me know what you think, I'm happy you made it to the end. Thanks for your time!

Well, I think the character concept itself is quite challenging. Especially considering you're totally dependent on other to survive probably. Unless you use your gift to attract a lot of worshippers who worship you for your power, and protect you, you'll be dragged all along the battlefield, be it for good or evil..

definately an interesting character concept, though I wonder how long a person could keep up with playing a character like that, you must be a real masochist..

It is an interesting concept to be sure, but I have my doubts about how much fun he would be to actually play. He doesn't sound very heroic. In fact, he sounds kinda like a concept that the player would get tired of pretty quick, but that could just be my preference talking. If you like it, I say go for it!

I can give you a little advice, having played the aforementioned Hub. While the Others Only power is fun, the majority of threads here are one-on-one. If your powers are all Boost-related and Others Only, it's sort of like having a ton of dead pp in those sorts of threads. I had to change my character concept a little so that I had something to do, other than get pummeled. Now, Hub's primary powers are still Boost and Healing, but he can also affect other people negatively as well. I've stuck with Fatigue, since that fits with his descriptors, but I could conceivably power stunt other things like Stun and Nauseate as well.

The other difficulty is the expense. If your powers are all touch-range, you'll have it easier, but if you want to act from a distance, you'll probably want to increase past Ranged and into Perception.

If you stick with it, remember to make sure you're hitting your tradeoff on defense, if not offense. Healers/boosters get targeted quickly, and you want to be able to survive if someone Mind Blasts you. Defensive Roll is your friend. (Plus, the idea of Defensively Rolling from someone thinking angry thoughts at you is hilarious).