Teen Romance Superhero Drama

trollthumper

Out in the main room the paramedics were packing away most of their equipment in a manner that was more encouraging than ominous. They didn't appear to be ready to move the actor quite yet but clearly the immediate danger had passed. If any of them were surprised to see a very much female Set exit a room they'd seen her enter in her male form it either wasn't the strangest thing they'd seen working in Freedom or else they were polite enough not to comment.

Leaning against a wall with her arms crossed under her chest, Sekhmet was somewhat less circumspect. "A tactical withdrawal?"

"I'm sure I know not to what you refer," the shorted godling sniffed dismissively, trying but failing to keep her shoulders from rising in a subtle show of agitation. She did her best to cover by planting her hands on her hips and making a show of looking about for something requiring her attention.

"Thy makeup be smudged," the leonine goddess drawled, a baritone rumble that was nearly a purr underscoring her observation. The look of amusement faded into something more concerned that didn't sit well on her aggressive countenance. "Tis an age with strict rules for such, I think, Set. Tis a frequent convention of The Guardian's playwrights, to force a choice between two suitors, causing much strife in the doing."

While she could have easily repaired her appearance with a thought, Set welcomed the distraction of summoning a handheld mirror and ornate brush dipped in black-brown with a snap of her fingers. The godling stifled a muttered curse as she found her hands not so steady as she would have liked, taking a deep breath and spending most of her concentration of appearing aloof. "Aye, well. Surely the Lady of Slaughter may distinguish between a fiction of light entertainment and reality."

That drew a snort from Sekhmet and a brief pause before she spoke again, uncharacteristically soft and gentle. "I worry only tis a quest lacking in wisdom."

"Oh, wisdom, now?" Set snapped back irritably, her weak facade slipping entirely as she tossed the mirror and brush to one side where they shimmered away into nothingness before hitting the suite's floor. As she turned to face Sekhmet her head shifted, elongating into a pronounced snout covered in jet black fur while tall, conical ears sprouted upward. "Do you mistake me for Thoth, mayhaps? Do you forget that tis ever Set's lot to overreach, to desire what she cannot have? I would be loathe to be remiss in fulfilling my divine role."

One of the paramedics coughed quietly, the entire group studiously avoiding looking at either of the Heliopolians. Sekhmet looked ready to growl something right back at Set but swallowed the comment with some effort. Instead she walked forward and placed a hand on the latter's shoulder. "I did not say I wished to see thee denied."

With a few deep, audible breaths Set calmed herself, drawing a hand over her face and restoring it to its human appearance. "...my thanks, Sekhmet. For the sentiment and the counsel. Better to have the issue aired and resolved, methinks, than to let it fester in silence. That leads nowhere I wish to see again." Sighing, she tilted her head and quirked an eyebrow at the taller woman. "You watched more than the first episode, then?"

Bristling slightly, Sekhmet looked sidelong at the actors in the room. "...the stories held in the flickering nets perform one after another without being bid. Hours passed uncounted before I deigned to halt," she admitted, chin jutting out. "Tis most insidious."

"Well, you're not wrong," Set agreed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sizing up the situation, the Tronikian hero decided to try and reassure his Terran girlfriend - who was obviously a little on edge about the whole thing. Terrans can be so weird about screwing! Better not say the wrong thing and make her feel bad; or blow the whole deal. "We don't have to do anything if you don't want to," offered Sharl, stepping up to Temperance and gently taking her chin in his hand. He looked down at her from his slightly greater height. "Say the word and we'll get out of here and go back to your place." And when we're there, maybe I'll lock all the doors and throw you down on your bed and then...He'd worked up a lot of energy that night between one thing and another, but he didn't want to push his girl any further than he had to. "Tell me what you're thinking?" he asked as an electric spark passed between them in more ways than one. 

Oh, would that she could. Temperance was still trying to work out the knot of thoughts in her head, and she could feel her fingernails cracking against the rope. Did he... but Set... what did she want? She really didn't know. But... it was late. She'd been through a lot. Maybe... just maybe... this was the kind of thing to rest on. 

"I'm thinking... this is the kind of thing that could use some time." She took Sharl's hand. "I know... I know you told me how things work on Tronik. And... I'm sure they do. But it's not something I'm used to. I'm not sure I can just switch that on, just because someone showed me the switch. I think... I think, for tonight, I'd prefer to just go home and... go with what I know." She looked in his eyes. "Go with what I love."