Phantasmo, the UNLIVING (PL8)

MisterShoebox

First attempt at character - redone, reworked, working on, and am stuck...Will I grit my teeth and try to bear it? Yes. Would I like advice on some stuff? Yes. Gimme yo' thoughts. They'd be greatly appreciated.

"No performer should attempt to bite off a red-hot iron unless he has a good set of teeth." - Harry Houdini

Player Name: MisterShoebox

Character Name: Phantasmo the Unliving

Power Level: 10  (150PP)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Chatty, friendly, and  well-dressed revenant who uses his mystical and undead abilities to oppose those who would prey upon the unfortunate and destitute.

Residence: “Lives†in an old abandoned clothing store in a bad part of Southside

Base of Operations: the aforementioned clothing store.

Catchphrase: “It’s magic!â€

Theme: “Venus of the hard sellâ€

Alternate Identity:Henry Gibson Trent.

Identity: Public, but is listed as “deceased.â€

Birthplace: London, England

Affiliations: the homeless population of Freedom City

Family: Mother (Deceased) Brother (Alfred, 67) - Grandnephew (John, 30) - Great-grand nephew and neice (Greg, 6, and Samantha, 4)

Description:

Apparent Age: Hard to tell due to decomposed state

Ethnicity: Undead

Height: 5’10

Weight: 180

Eyes: yellow (Glowing sockets) - formerly green

Hair: None (formerly brown)

Beard: Grey (formerly brown)

Phantasmo_zps53d34b0f.png

Power Descriptions:

He’s not your typical zombie. A good way to think of it is that he’s a ghost who’s possessing his own corpse - so long as his body is in good enough shape for him to inhabit, he can keep on ticking.  He has superhuman-strength, unlimited stamina, and can survive without food, water, oxygen, or sleep...and as a bonus, so long as his spirit is in his corpse he doesn’t rot!...Any more than he already has. Plus - and this is cool - as long as his ghost is in his meat suit, any minor wounds are healed! It's like he's not even dead!...aside from the rot, the missing eyes, ears, nose, the missing lips, and whatnot.  

Aside from his standard zombie powers, he has minor mystical abilities - he can conjure doves, rabbits, scarves, coins, playing cards - you know, basic magic props - can also teleport (very short distances, mind you) via puffs of smoke. Now you see me, now you don't.

History:

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: A little tyke sees a magic act when he’s five years old and is wowed - decides then and there he wants to be a magician. He wants to be up there with Houdini and all the greats, bless his little soul. He studies everything he can about magic. He pesters his mum and his dad every cChristmasfor magic stuff - kits, books, whatever.

Learns, and practices, and learns, and books his first gig at the age of 24 to a small pub in Surrey. Poor sod does his best - pulls out everything he’s learned...only for every trick to go wrong. The milk in newspaper trick only gives soggy funnies. The damned rabbit escapes from the hat. The birds mess in his shirt and escape. Aforementioned bugger realizes something as he leaves the pub to the howls of laughter and boos from the inebriated crowd: He’s really, really bad at this.

But what else can he do? It’s all he ever wanted. Enter mysterious old codger with massive smile and promises of dreams come true. The old codger sits on a park bench next to our hero who may or may not be bawling his eyes out.  Our hero - daft bugger that he is - is taken in by this man when he says he can make him one of the greatest magicians in the world.  Says he can give him genuine magic powers, and the knowledge to use them - only thing that he wants in return is our hero’s soul. He even admits he may just be pulling the boy’s leg and being nice - but what could it hurt just to humor him:

Our boy decides to humor the man and says “Yes.†With one handshake, he finds he suddenly knows tricks that Houdini couldn’t dream of his lifetime. He goes back to the pub and begs for another chance - and this time everything goes great. He meets his agent and within six months, he’s one of the greats, and for the next 19 years, things go swimmingly. He plays Vegas. He plays Rome. He plays Paris - He’s made it. The Big time. He’s Copperfield. He’s Siegfried AND Roy.  Dreams do come true - happy endings all around.

Except...he’s so caught up in his success he completely forgets the old man’s price. On his 44th birthday, he drops down dead of a heart attack in the middle of a performance. Everyone’s shattered - he’s autopsied, buried, and gradually forgotten about...then six weeks later he wakes up his grave. Now, normally this would make anyone quite upset...but for some reason, he’s calm. Coherent. He’s able to dig his way out of his grave and finds he has enhance strength and doesn’t need to eat or drink! Huzzah! And bonus - he has genuine magical powers now. He’s not quite sure what the hell happened...did he escape, was he released?... But he’ll roll with it. ‘course, he realizes he can’t go back to his old life. He’s been dead - life’s over for him. His mum is dead, his brother’s in Florida, and he can’t really well book any more deals as a living chunk of corpse meat. Time to make a fresh start.

So, he hops a boat to Freedom City - reasoning that they’ve probably seen weirder than him -  and joins the local homeless population, who welcome him with open arms. He’s touched - so touched, that when a local small-time thug by the name of Billy the Bat decides to shake them down, he uses his powers - zombie, and magician - to literally scare him off. And...something odd happens. He realizes he LIKES doing good for others using his powers. Realizing that he should probably go with the crowd and be as theatrical and colorful as possible, he dons a magician costume a friend of his purchases from a thrift shop. Mystico the Magnificent  may be dead and gone, but where he was...arises Phantasmo, the Unliving!

Personality & Motivation:

He’s very friendly and chatty in a somewhat sarcastic sort of way. He’s Very fond of joking around with people and is a bit of a troll with his undead nature. Generally tries to see the good in everyone...but if he thinks you are a jerk, he’ll point it out. Snarkily.

The reason he likes to fight crime is quite simple - he hates those who would prey on the weak, would cause undue suffering, and - above all - would look down on someone just because they’re worse off in life. He literally got to escape what he suspects was Hell - he’s not gonna squander this second chance by being a jerk.  Plus, you know - being a garishly dressed zombie, you have to do SOMETHING to let the more trigger-happy lads in tights know you’re on the up-and-up. Protecting a bunch of homeless chaps from vicious sods who’d hit them up for money seems a good way to do it.

Powers & Tactics:

He’s not a straight-up brawler, but you don’t grow up in London without learning some survival skills. He mainly uses his powers to disorient and confuse his opponents before going for the nadgers or pulling whatever other dirty trick he can think of - and he knows quite a few of them.  His chatty nature and friendly disposition are also pretty good at catching opponents off-guard.

Complications:

One Ugly Bugger: Being of the undead persuasion makes it very difficult for others to really warm up to him at first...he’s been shot at, stabbed, and even mopped by an overzealous young man who’d seen too many movies and assumed the zombie apocalypse was coming.

Exorcisms are no-one’s friend!: The right exorcism spell can send his soul out of his body and back to wherever it was before he came back...heaven, hell, whatever.

Quit being a ham!: Though he is very friendly, he's also very fond of the spotlight...a bit of trouble when stealth and guile are required. 

Abilities: 11 + 6 -10 + 8 + 10 + 5 = 30PP

Strength: 20 (+5)

Dexterity: 16 (+3)

Constitution: --

Intelligence: 18 (+4)

Wisdom: 20 (+5)

Charisma: 15 (+2)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)

Attack: +8 Melee, (+6 Ranged)

Grapple: +13

Defense: +8 (+4 Base), + Flat-Footed

Knockback: -4

Saving Throws: 0 + 2 + 2 = 4PP

Toughness: +7 (+3 [Protection] [Defensive Roll])

Fortitude:--

Reflex: +8 (+4 Dex, +4)

Will: +8 (+4 Wis, +4)

Skills: 45R = 12PP

Bluff 8 (+10),

Concentration 5 (+10),

Escape Artist 8 (+11),

Intimidate 2 (+4),

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 2 (+6),

Knowledge (Streetwise) 1 (+5),

Notice 4 (+9),

Perform (Comedy) 3 (+5),

Perform (Oratory) 3 (+5),

Sense Motive 1 (+6),

Sleight of Hand 8 (+11)

Feats: 20PP

Accurate Attack,

Defensive Roll 2,

Evasion 2,

Fascinate (Bluff),

Fascinate (Perform),

Fearless,

Improved Aim,

Improved Disarm 2,

Instant Up,

Ranged Pin,

Skill Mastery (Bluff,Escape Artist,Sleight of Hand,Knowledge),

Sneak Attack,

Taunt,

Throwing Mastery 3

Powers: 19 + 30 + 3+2+6 = 60PP

Alakazam!  (14pp Array: Feats; 5 alternate powers) [19pp]

Alternate PowerBlast 5 (Extra:Attack; Power Features:Accurate,Ricochet cost: 11/14pp 'Razor sharp playing card or ultra-hard coin')

Alternate Power: Flight 1 (Flaw:Levitation, cost: 1/14pp)

Alternate Power: Mind Control 7 (Extra:Conscious; Flaw:Sense-Dependent; cost: 14/14pp hypnosis with a mystical, conjured pocket watch that vanishes when used.)

Alternate Power: Snare 5 (Extra:Blocks Visual Senses; Power Feat:Accurate: cost: 12/14pp 'Scarves, scarves everywhere!')

Alternate Power: Stun 3 (Extra:Area - Cone (30' Long and Wide); Flaw:Fades; Power Feat:Split Attack; cost: 7/14pp. 'Conjuring a flock of doves from my sleeves! It's MAGIC!'

Alternate Power: Teleport 1 (Extra :Accurate; Flaw:20ft; cost: 2/14pp. 'Disappears then reappears in a puff of smoke.'

Immunity 30 (Save Effect (Fortitude)

Super Strength 3 (+15 Str Carrying Capacity, Heavy Load: 1 ton) 

Regeneration 2 (Recovery Bonus (+2); Flaw:Limited (Can't regrow limbs); ;Power Feature:Persistent)

Protection 3 

Drawbacks: (-4) + (-4) = -8PP

Noticeable (Zombie; Common, Major.)

Vulnerable (Fire;Common,Major)

DC Block

ATTACK      RANGE      SAVE                                      EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch        DC15 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

(NOTE: The easiest way to get your DC Block to line up is to write it out in a word processor in a Courier font, then just copy/paste it into your post.)

Totals: Abilities (30) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (4) + Skills (12) + Feats (20) + Powers (60) - Drawbacks (-8) = 150/150) Power Points

Edited by MisterShoebox

There's a button that looks like a picture of tree on the text box.   If you click that it should be a quick button for linking to an image.  

Thank you, that was very helpful. However, that wasn't exactly my problem - my problem is that I am unable to access the media section of the forum at all. I am unable to make an album or gallery on this site, or access the other public albums in general as it states I do not have the permission to do so...I should have specified more, I apologize. But thank you again for your advice, it was helpful  and now his handsome undead face can be seen. 

Edited by MisterShoebox

Hey Shoe, interesting looking character, though there is some work that needs to be done for him.

First, when you buy off CON like that, you need to also buy Immunity: Fort Effects (30 pp), otherwise, with no CON and no Immunity to fort effects, the character is just dead.  The immunity is what makes him undead.  Also, when you buy off CON like that, you have no CON adjustment, so it is just 0.

Combat, if you could list how much your spending on BAB and BDB like this: 8 + 8 = 16 PP

You have things a bit mixed up in order, take a look at other sheets for that.  You also need to include your Knockback resistance.

Saving Throws:  It should be 2 + 2 = 4 as your spending two points on both Reflex and Will saves (and initiative is not part of saves, but part of combat where you have it).

I do not see how you are getting Toughness +10.  You have only bought 3 ranks or Protection, so you would only have +3 Toughness.

For Reflex and Willpower, if you could note the components for each, for example: Reflex +3 (+1 Dex +2)

Skills: Seems fine, though several seem a bit on the low side.  We do not really use the profession skill.  In this case, it would be covered by things like Slight of Hand and Bluff.  Also, there is no Perform (Magic) skill, again, I think that would be better covered by things like Slight of Hand, Bluff, and maybe Perform Acting or Oratory.  In any event, 1 rank of the skill means your character is just an armature, so might want to consider improving some of those.  Another skill that might be useful for your character's background is Sense Motive.

Feats:  These are mostly fine, but you don't need Endurance, given that you should have Immunity to Fort effects.  Also, for the Fascinate Perform, you would need to designate one of the performs, but, see above.

Powers:  You need to take a look at other sheets for how we format powers, you missing some things on a lot of them.  Also, the powers in your magic array are somewhat low in terms of you meeting PL caps and the like.

For the summon doves alt power, what are you seeing that doing?  You need ranks of progression (ie multiple minions) for Horde to do anything.  Homing also does not apply to this power.  Perhaps some other power would achieve the effect you want, with the special effect being the flock of doves?

As for the Noticeable disadvantage, I see you also have this as a complication, which is a bit of double dipping. I think it works much better as a complication.

Ultimately I think this can be an interesting idea, but I am not sure it will be easy to pull off with 105pp (especially with the Immunity you need).  What might be a good idea is use one of your PL 10 slots and build him with 150pp but with a lower PL cap, say maybe 8.

Hey Shoe, interesting looking character, though there is some work that needs to be done for him.

First, when you buy off CON like that, you need to also buy Immunity: Fort Effects (30 pp), otherwise, with no CON and no Immunity to fort effects, the character is just dead.  The immunity is what makes him undead.  Also, when you buy off CON like that, you have no CON adjustment, so it is just 0.

Combat, if you could list how much your spending on BAB and BDB like this: 8 + 8 = 16 PP

You have things a bit mixed up in order, take a look at other sheets for that.  You also need to include your Knockback resistance.

Saving Throws:  It should be 2 + 2 = 4 as your spending two points on both Reflex and Will saves (and initiative is not part of saves, but part of combat where you have it).

I do not see how you are getting Toughness +10.  You have only bought 3 ranks or Protection, so you would only have +3 Toughness.

For Reflex and Willpower, if you could note the components for each, for example: Reflex +3 (+1 Dex +2)

Skills: Seems fine, though several seem a bit on the low side.  We do not really use the profession skill.  In this case, it would be covered by things like Slight of Hand and Bluff.  Also, there is no Perform (Magic) skill, again, I think that would be better covered by things like Slight of Hand, Bluff, and maybe Perform Acting or Oratory.  In any event, 1 rank of the skill means your character is just an armature, so might want to consider improving some of those.  Another skill that might be useful for your character's background is Sense Motive.

Feats:  These are mostly fine, but you don't need Endurance, given that you should have Immunity to Fort effects.  Also, for the Fascinate Perform, you would need to designate one of the performs, but, see above.

Powers:  You need to take a look at other sheets for how we format powers, you missing some things on a lot of them.  Also, the powers in your magic array are somewhat low in terms of you meeting PL caps and the like.

For the summon doves alt power, what are you seeing that doing?  You need ranks of progression (ie multiple minions) for Horde to do anything.  Homing also does not apply to this power.  Perhaps some other power would achieve the effect you want, with the special effect being the flock of doves?

As for the Noticeable disadvantage, I see you also have this as a complication, which is a bit of double dipping. I think it works much better as a complication.

Ultimately I think this can be an interesting idea, but I am not sure it will be easy to pull off with 105pp (especially with the Immunity you need).  What might be a good idea is use one of your PL 10 slots and build him with 150pp but with a lower PL cap, say maybe 8.

Right-o. Thanks for the advice and aid, man. I'll get to work right away.