Brain Drain

Supercape

Terrifica shrank back a little further behind Miracle Girl, grateful the younger female was so much larger than she was. She spoke softly, but managed to convey a sense of being insulted.“Karate Japonese. I Chinese. Chinese know kung fu.†With that much settled, she tugged softly on Miracle Girl’s sleeve. “Meg. Go there, please?†She pointed at the poetry section. “Father say know…†She sounded it out dubiously. “Po-et-tree, know life.†She whispered softly into the younger female’s ear. “The android went there, I saw it.â€

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casey nodded, sending ripples through her multicolored hair. "Copy that," she murmured as she spared a quick glance in the indicated direction. "Okay, let's lose this pinhead."

Raising her voice to a harsh stage whisper, 'Meg' quickly slid her arm around 'Li's' waist (The strength in that arm!) and began to guide her towards the poetry stacks. "So did your father really have your last boyfriend assassinated?"

All the while, she was keeping her keen eyes peeled.

Edited by Heritage
  • 4 weeks later...

A strange look crossed the look of the student they’d been trying to get rid of for the last few minutes.

“Oh hey were we talking about something man? I must have zoned out there for a minute.†he began to wander off from the two supers still a little confused.

The robot was no longer in sight, but it must have gone deeper into the stacks of the library.

• 4 weeks later...

Casey was unsure if her story had finally shaken their would-be paramour or if something else was up, but she was happy to be rid of the loser. She turned to her new 'partner' and whispered. "Are you any good at tracking people indoors? I could whiz through this place looking for him, but there woukd be a lot of wind and it sounds like we don't want to get too close if we can help it."

She pulled out her phone and checked the time; hopefully her father's meeting would keep him tied up a little while longer. Another thought occured to her: unless they did things very differently in Freedom than in Colorado Springs, libraries usually aren't open all night. She went to the library's website to check the hours, to see how much time they had until closing.

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Terrifica stifled an out of character smile as the young man walked away and whispered back. “I am an excellent searcher, as it happens. I’m just not nearly as fast as you.†She lightly but insistently pulled at her new ‘friend’s’ arm. “It okay. Have time. Father return late.†She wanted to get into the poetry section and find this robot, already. Patience was one of Terrifica’s strong suits at times, but this was not one of them. The longer the robot was out of sight, the more mischief it could get up to.

• 2 months later...

GM Post

Getting late in the day, with only a few hours before closing, the library was pretty quiet with few people scattered around the stacks. The robot was obviously learning quickly, it was avoiding people if it could, but there was enough confused people who forgot the last few minutes to work out what direction he was heading.

Apparently where he had gone was in one of the few places that neither of the girls would normally venture without a very good reason, the men’s restroom...

Casey stopped and held up her hands. "Seriously? What is this guy, ten years old?" Then she rubbed her jaw and chuckled a bit. "Well, I guess actually..." She put her hands on her hips and shook her head. "Alright, we can't let social conventions keep us from bringing this robot in." The faux art student cautiously looked over both shoulders and shrugged. "So do we both go in at the same time, or does just one go in to flush him out?" She winced apologetically. "Sorry; pun very much not intended."

The blonde student really hoped this wouldn't come down to a physical confrontation; despite the fact that the patrons were thinning out a bit, she was always acutely aware of potential collateral damage.

Edited by Heritage
  • 3 weeks later...

Casey grinned and nodded. "Thank you, ma'am!" Then she took a cautious step into the men's room, hunched forward and back to the wall but not touching it as her father had taught her. She kept her eyes peeled and her ears open as she entered, but then a thought occurred to her.

It's a robot, right? Perhaps it's broadcasting a signal of some kind.

She tilted her head slightly as she scanned several frequencies; on a hunch, she also tried to hear if the mysterious Ms. D was saying anything behind their backs.

• 1 month later...

The first thing that was very obvious was that the bathroom was very empty, thankfully the stalls were all open meaning they didn’t have to go through that unfortunately search. The reason for the lack of robot was soon quite apparent a high up and once secured window was now wide open letting the sounds of the city drift into the room. It seems the robot had outsmarted people again.

And right on cue Casey picked up the sardonic tones of Ms. D through the airwaves. It was maybe telling that she thought they might be listening to such frequencies.

Do you have an update on you search for the synthroid?

Casey sighed and shook her head, shaking her multicolored braids. "Our robot friend must have copied the mind of a middle schooler at some point, because he used a trick right out of The Goonies to ditch us." She floated upwards to peer outside. "He climbed out the blasted window. C'mon, let's get after him." The blonde powerhouse easily climbed through the window and dropped down to the ground to have a look around.

Not doing so great for her first night in Freedom! She only hoped Terrifica would never bring this up again, assuming they ever worked together after tonight.

Terrifica did all she could do, which was shrug it off. “So it knows we’re onto it. If it had copied our minds it would know our intentions. In which case why would it run? Perhaps it only knows that it being pursued. At any rate,” Terrifica entered the bathroom and dexterously slipped through its window. She landed softly on the ground below. “this isn’t anything to be discouraged about. Failure is only a waste if you don’t learn anything from it. Now we know that it knows it’s being chased. The chased behave differently than the unaware.” She paused for a second. “How good is your eyesight? Some aerial reconnaissance could prove useful.”

• 2 months later...

Casey shrugged and nodded. "Pretty darn good, actually; I can see a few miles on a clear day. How about I fly straight up, look down and see what I can see?"

And with that, the faux art student floated upward, her body outlined with the now-familiar golden shimmer; since she was essentially just levitating, it wasn't quite as bright as when she full-out flew.

Miracle Girl peered down past her goofy sneakers and did a visual sweep, starting at her point of departure and gradually spiraling outwards, looking first for movement and then for visual confirmation. 

Edited by Heritage