Stepping Up To The Golden Calf (OOC)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Castle seems to be down at the moment for rolls.

For the present situation, Capricia and Belphegor can act before the security guards. So far there are three present:

Leader type -- white hair at side of hair. Think of Reed Richards style but with muscles.

Guard 1 -- Magnetic powers

Guard 2 -- Force blast

For Ghost his Disable Device is +14 on the roll. Notice +13

I don't see a reason for a change. It's easy enough to say that she failed her will save against the leader's fearsome presence and ran. With her ability to stay hidden, it wouldn'T be a problem at all.

I know I've been slow on moving the action along and I plan to get to it after writing this. So we can decide what to do from there.

Lucky me. But that does open up a question that I have for you.

The mentalist knew that ghost had used his powers. I'm wondering how he could manage that. First off, let me say I have no problems with how you did it, but for future reference I need to be sure I understand how things will work.

Ghost's blast is sublte 1 with the condition that magical awareness can notice it with ease. As I understand the power feat, everything else would not be able to notice the power source. Is that a correct understanding? Even if a mental could notice the use of the power, wouldn'T they need to establish a 'link' through mind reading first? That would mean Ghost would get a save against the power and then if he wins, no information for the mentalist, right?

Again, it is just a question I ahve for future reference. We'll paly it out the way you've already started it to save on any confusion. Thanks.

Ghost has 2 Bruises.

Kickboxing Jamaican Man has 1 Bruise.

Magnet man is staggered and stunned.

3 of Capricia's 4 Thugs are KOd.

Everyone else is unharmed.

COMBAT STATS

Magnet man Attack +8, DEF 16 Tough +8 F:+4 R:+3 W:+4 Notice +6, Concentration +1, Damage Magnetic Blast Dc 23

Blast boy Attack +8, DEF 16 Tough +8 F:+4 R:+3 W:+4 Notice +6, Concentration +1 Damage Stun DC 18; Concussive force blast DC 23

Leader Attack +8, Def 18 Tough +12 F:+6 R:+5 W:+7 Notice +9, Concentration +4 Damage Unarmed strike Tough DC 27

Lucky me. But that does open up a question that I have for you.

The mentalist knew that ghost had used his powers. I'm wondering how he could manage that. First off, let me say I have no problems with how you did it, but for future reference I need to be sure I understand how things will work.

Ghost's blast is sublte 1 with the condition that magical awareness can notice it with ease. As I understand the power feat, everything else would not be able to notice the power source. Is that a correct understanding? Even if a mental could notice the use of the power, wouldn'T they need to establish a 'link' through mind reading first? That would mean Ghost would get a save against the power and then if he wins, no information for the mentalist, right?

Again, it is just a question I ahve for future reference. We'll paly it out the way you've already started it to save on any confusion. Thanks.

A bit of educated guessing and misdirection on the Mentalist's part, actually (like when on Babylon 5, a temporarily power-less Psi-Cop tricked someone into confessing, because the guy thought the Psi-Cop still had his powers and was reading his mind). While the Mentalist doesn't really know for certain that Ghost is the one causing the "accidents" (which seem to be oddly targeted), he's guessing that he is: he doesn't see anyone else, and hasn't sensed anyone else in the area (since Whisper/Grim ran away), and he assumes anyone who'd rob the place must be more than 'normal'. Plus, there actually is a character in Freedom City that has powers similar to Ghost: Carl "Dice" Desanto (from the Iron Age Vigilantes and Villains .pdf), a solider for the Oliverti family, who is known for being uncommonly lucky and that folks who cross him tend to get hurt or die in unfortunate & untraceable accidents (Blast 8, Range/Perception; Secondary Save/Reflex save; Subtle 2, Trigger [some time later when he isn't around]). I probably should have had some sort of skill check (Knowledge [history]? Sense Motive? Bluff?), but I wasn't sure.

As for your understanding of how Subtle works, you are right on: Subtle 1 means the effect can be noticed with a DC 20 Notice check by anyone, or automatically by anyone with an appropriate exotic sense (like Mystic Awareness). Subtle 2 makes it completely undetectable. And, yes, even with Subtle, if your mind is read he'd know you were consciously using a power, and that would call for a Will save against a Mind Reading effect.

COMBAT STATS

Magnet man Attack +8, DEF 16 Tough +8 F:+4 R:+3 W:+4 Notice +6, Concentration +1, Damage Magnetic Blast Dc 23

Blast boy Attack +8, DEF 16 Tough +8 F:+4 R:+3 W:+4 Notice +6, Concentration +1 Damage Stun DC 18; Concussive force blast DC 23

Leader Attack +8, Def 18 Tough +12 F:+6 R:+5 W:+7 Notice +9, Concentration +4 Damage Unarmed strike Tough DC 27

"Tim Burton" Mentalist: Largely the same as the PL 6 Psionic from Instant Superheroes. Attack +3, Defense 14, Toughness +8 (+0 w/out subtle Force Field), Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +7; Concentration +12, Notice +8; Damage Mental Blast 6 (Perception, DC 21 Will), Mind Control 6 (Perception, DC 16 Will), Telepathy 6 (DC 16 Will to resist Mind Reading). No Trance, no Telekinesis; Radius Ranged Detect Minds instead of Mental Awareness.

Kickboxer: Largely the same as the PL 6 Martial Artist from Instant Superheroes. Attack +4 (+8 melee), Defense 18; Toughness +4, Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +4; Concentration +7, Notice +7; Damage unarmed strike (DC 18 Toughness), Power Attack, Stunning Attack.

Do I have some sort of toughness save going on with Capricia?

Also, the only reason I suggested that was because I forgot if Ghost has gotten past all the parts that need codes. And if he couldn't get into the vault at all, then what's the point? :D

yes, waiting for a toughness save for Capricia DC 27. As for Ghost and the vault, he never even got to the vault before the security arrived. They came out when he was trying to move into the money cage that leads to the vault. He has the code for the vault though.