Revenge is a dish best served hot (IC)

RobRX

'You made a most crucial mistake in understanding me: Safety is not something easily found on my world, it is one of the highest luxury possible. That much you understand. What you don't understand is that I would never find myself in an environment I cannot adapt. I would never allow myself to be put in a situation where I cannot master the land. So I lied, while you were there I played the part of the savage worried he is in unfamilliar land. When you were gone, I kept making 'mistake' after 'misake', letting my guard down, letting the cyborgs potentially in wait think I was losing my mind. That is how I lured them.' Kharag explained to Dragonid, mentally. Of course one could easily argue it was far from the most intelligent plan, luring out assassins while the only person you can trust is away and unable to assist. Not so much a tactical mistake as a deliberately foolish and arrogant plan based on the idea that Kharag would be able to take them down on his own.

'As it turns out there might be far more of these things out there than I ever could have anticipated. I am flattered to think my would-be-killer believes an army of monster is the only thing which can bring me down. That fool knows what he is against.'

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragonid struggled to understand what Kharag had told him. It he was still right to judge the King an ally, he had merely hidden information that a soldier did not need to carry out his instructions. It was good to have that reassurance, though he did not know where the plan went from here.

I must admit, planning is not my strength. He thought to Kharag. What do we do now with the enemy drawn out? Will they leader us to their employer before they draw too much Delzatri attention and bring ruin on your whole people?

'Lead them? No, far from it. I merely intend to extinguish whatever life is left inside that mutilated husk.' Kharag 'said' before charging at the remaining Cyborg, a punch aimed right for what used to be the creature's head. At the last moment, the cyborg reacted and ducked out of the way, having only the top of it's head barely touching Kharag's moving fist. "Enough! You will no longer escape me, you foul creature. I shall reduce your body to nothing but meat and scrap metal, fiend!"

Dragonid had little patience left for the assassin creatures that were distracting them from their discussions. He grabbed the last one, breathed a burst of hot flame in what was left of its face behind its implants and threw the creature behind him where it lay unmoving.

There. Dragonid thought, Is that the last of them? At least until their employer tries something else? Is there a plan to follow them back to the source or do we just question your generals until we find the one that has turned against you.

"No." Kharag said out loud. "It has to end here and now and it shall." The alien god-king walked up to the scorched remains of the cyborg assassins and proceeded to stomp their remains until what was left of them was nothing but a pile of ashes, which soon scattered in the wind around him.

"I hope for the sake of those in my people who are innocent that you, Silvar Drash, have found any lead, lest my anger be taken upon all of my people gathered here. I have grown weary and tired of this foolish chasing game. I will find the traitor and when I do, no mortal or god will be able to preserve him from my wrath."

"You know many of your subjects do not love you. Some still harbor resentment over your conquests of them. It seems likely that this whole plot was started by somone still bitter over that. And it would need to be someone with influence and resources."

Dragonid hesitated for a while. He knew if he gave Kharag a name, there would be no stopping him, he would jump to the attack. But else if he was allowed to go on a general rampage there might be more harm.

"I do not yet have real evidence, but a possible league, one of your generals hoping to take back his rule and lead all your people instead."

Angered and frustrated at how everything seemed to fall apart after so much effort, after centuries spent uniting and trying to uplift his people from the dirt, Kharag started to crack, coming close to revealing to Dragonid why he was sometimes feared as a monstrous figure, capable of inflicting horrors upon his people. Dragonid felt a presence reaching into his head, about to claw into his thought...and retreating at the very last moment.

"No. My oath to the Praetorians prevents me from doing so." He said, immediately regretting having attempted to tear Dragonid's thoughts for any relevant information. In that moment, it seemed as despite being quite old, Kharag's appearance reflected his level of maturity; he looked like he hadn't aged a day since becoming an adult and it seemed that on many levels he had remained the young demigod prone to anger and irrational actions. "Tell me his name."

Dragonid looked Kharag over, he did not like the position he had been placed in. He was a warrior, not an investigator, but his real enemy was still not in the open.

If this guess proved wrong, the real traitor might escape and bury himself to wreck more havoc later. But if he did not answer Kharag, he would be the greater threat.

Dragonid took out his data pad and brought up the file for Ahazar. "Before I was confronted by your imposter, and then came to assist in this fight, I was planning to visit General Ahazar's home. I hoped to find proof of his involvement, or his associates among the Delzatri. I do not know if it is wise to confront him directly yet"

"We will do things my way. The Za'akis way. The warrior's way." Kharag said, immediately leaving to find Ahazar, despite still showing signs of injuries from the battle against the two cybernetic assassins, mainly burns from the laser hits. Kharag wasn't in an optimal state to fight a battle against anything actually capable of harming him, which would be a problem if there were assassins left. "If Ahazar has any ounce of honor left in him, he will admit to his crimes. Then he can challenge me, the way it is supposed to be done. While he is no match for me, he is still a gifted warrior and a master of the ways of the mind, as I am. He can cloud his mind, meaning this will be a purely physical battle."

"A purely physical battle while you have already been worn down by his minions. Are you sure this is wise? Are you ready to answer that challenge?" Dragonid asked his fellow Praetorian with concern, Kharag would never complain about his wounds, but they had to be affecting him and could give Ahazar an edge.

"If Ahazar is smart, he will not be alone. If he sent assassins once, he may not be willing to submit to an honorable challenge. Or fight fair if he does. I will keep an eye on him to prevent him or his allies from cheating."

"He's also quite arrogant." The god-king pointed out, in a moment of complete and utter lack of self-awareness. "If I can provoke him, he might answer the challenge. As you pointed out, I am weakened and wounded. Defeating me in single combat, in front of everyone, would quite please him. If all else fail, you can simply join the battle. At this point, who cares about honor? It isn't about that anymore, it is nothing but petty revenge."

"If I joined in it would be viewed as Delzatri interference. I hope it is not necessary. But traitors can not be tolerated, such infestations must be burned out." Dragonid did not want to further damage Za'aki-Delzatri relations, but there seemed to be little other choice and he knew he would not stand by and let Kharag lose.

"If you can leave him able to talk, there is more information we need from him. Who is he working with? And what does he know of Techno-assassin plans to convert my people to these more cyborg monsters."

GM

After Kharag explained that, from his point of view it was now just as much Dragonid's battle as his own, the two set out to find where Ahazar was. After some looking around, they found themselves back at the damaged habitation complex, where the Za'akis had already returned despite the damage. When Kharag arrived, they simply looked at him with worry and pointed at the inside of the building. Siting on Kharag's dining chair was Ahazar. Around him were Za'akis, including Mohnak. It seemed those inside were those loyal to Ahazar.

"Ahazar. You are in my chair." Kharag simply said, deadpan.

"A comfortable chair, if I might add. Welcome, destroyer of Za'ak." He said, slouching on the chair. Ahazar looked exactly like in the picture Dragonid saw, safe for the addition of an high-tech helmet. Underneath his robes, the bulk hinted at the rest of an armor.

"You are one to talk, murderer."

"Oh, I'm the murderer? Let's be honest, Kharag; murder is what we do. Yes, I have the blood of my kin on my hands today but it pale compared to the sheer numbers of souls your unification of our people claimed. Those who died today are but a small price. You of all people should understand this mentality. But perhaps you haven't told this to your new allies, how much blood you have spilled to put an entire planet under your rule." Ahazar grinned and looked at Dragonid. "Has he told you? How much blood he's spilled? How many cities razed to the ground, how many dynasties toppled?"

Edited by RobRX

"You think it surprises me that he is a warrior, a conqueror?" asked Dragonid, "Death happens in war, we all know that. It happened when I tried to win back my birthright. Do not pretend you yourself did not do the same before Kharag beat you."

He looked over at Kharag considered the words Ahazar had said against him, "Razing cities is not my way of war, but Kharag is not the one who stands accused here for sending assassins against his King and risking sending the full force of the Delzatri empire against your people."

GM

"It is simply how we do things. When a leader is unfit to lead, he must be removed, less he weakens those he rule over. It is how we have always done and how we will continue to do until the world is extinguished. Kharag blinded us with his power, his deeds and words of a greater destiny. He is nothing but a false god."

When Ahazar said that, Kharag's face twitched.

"He premised to take us to the stars and what did he do? Sell us. Like slaves. Livestock. So much for our great destiny amongst the stars. KHARAG! By the code of the ancestors, I challenge you for your position as ruler of the Za'akis." Ahazar declared, pointing at Kharag with an armored hand.

"And I accept, if only to make you swallow your words. May you choke on them. However, I will accept only on the condition that Dragonid joins me in battle."

"Afraid to lose, false god?"

"No, but he has stakes in this. Beside, you are a cheater and dishonorable cur. Don't act as if the code matters in this situation."

Ahazar stood up from his chair, pulling away his cloak, revealing a high-tech armor. "You were right about one thing, false god; the stars are ripe with treasures." He clenched his gauntleted fist, his face showing supreme arrogance. "Observe, this beautiful armor. A gift from my new allies. With this armor, I am even more powerful than you. Just another proof at how much you are nothing but a liar and trickster." Energy crackles around the armor and Ahazar fired a beam at Kharag, knocking him off balance.

"The battle begins now, fiend."

GM

"Do you feel that, Kharag? This is the anger of my bloodline. Today, I shall right the wrongs of the past. I will free Za'ak from your yoke. And then a rightful, wise ruler will take the throne." Ahazar ranted, reveling in the power granted by his armor. "So many years have passed since you humiliated my ancestors. You really think I'm alone in this? There are countless amongst our kind who demand you tyranny end!"

The alien then fired another beam, this one aimed at Dragonid. "And you, creature, will know what happens to those who dare ally themselves with the tyrant."

"I know Kharag's worth as an ally." Dragonid said as he dodged aside from Ahazar'd attack, "I know that your cyborg allies are worth far less. As is the drunk. I have made the better choice."

He took a deep breath, letting the fires grow hotter within in him and spit out a small burst of flame, but Ahazar was too quick the flame crashed against the wall behind him.

"The flames will find you eventually. All your treachery will go up in flames before I am done."

GM

Ahazar ducked as the flames approched him. Despite his armor and feeling of invincibility, fire remained a very primal fear for many species. Eager to get rid of the two Praetorians, he opened fire once more. Energy crackled around the gauntlet of the armor and soon erupted into a beam very similar in appearance (and sound) to the one the cybernetic assassins emitted from their mutilated faces. The shot struck Dragonid right in the chest and spilled out around him, scorching everything in close proximity to him.

"I will never allow you to take the throne, Ahazar!" Said Kharag, getting back on his feet and snarling at the upstart. "Do you hear me under that cowardly armor?! NEVER! It is mine and mine by right!" Roaring, Kharag charged at Ahazar and punched him right in the face. However, a glowing force field manifested itself and the sound of cracking bones were heard.

'Silvar Drash. I need you to find a way to break his concentration and quickly. His armor is too much, I must break attack his mind.' He hurriedly said via telepathy.

Fire is good for breaking concentration. Dragonid thought at Kharag. Fire is good for everything, he thought to himself.

Ahazar might be weighted down by armor, but he was still mobile enough to not be a sure hit. The dragon warrior breathed another burst of flames at Ahazar, but to his frustration the flames again went wide of their target. He clenched his mighty teeth together, neck muscle visibly tighening under his red scaled skin.

At least his skin was proving too tough for Ahazar to damage with his energy blasts, but he might find a weak spot eventually.

GM

"I am from a proud lineage. And you took that pride away from me!" Roared Ahazar as he punched Kharag back, this particular punch hitting a lot harder than Kharag's punch. "And then you took away the pride of our entire race! You reduced us to nothing but slaves. How dare you. HOW DARE YOU! YOU ARE AN HYPOCRITE! A LIAR!" Another punch. "CHARLATAN!" And another. "A FIEND!" And yet another punch. Kharag collapsed under the blow, coughing and wheezing, the armored fist having repeatedly hammered his chest until he couldn't breathe.

"How could you, Kharag? Tell me, before I kill you. I must understand how...why? True, I never liked you. But I never thought you could sink so low. Pathetic."

As Azahar spouted rage and beat on Kharag, Dragonid saw his opportunity. With his focus on Kharag, blinded by anger he finally kept still long enough for Dragonid to ready his attack.

Again burning at his full heat he blue another blast of fire at the renegade general, blindsiding him as he stood over the King, smelling the satisfying smell of burnt flesh under the armor. "You would replace it with the 'pride' of half-dead cyborg abominations? Or lead your people to destruction? Open your mind, see what is coming." Dragonid taunted Azahar.

Edited by ca_lazerdwarf

Ahazar didn't even get the chance to scream his frustration as his focus slipped for a few seconds from the pain, which was more than enough. Kharag, despite his wounds, pushed himself as much as he could and, shaking off a serious headache, he entered Ahazar's mind. 'OPEN YOU MIND, TRAITOR.' Echoed his psychic voice, booming inside Ahazar's mind, who put his hands on the slits on the side of his head, in vain. "Get out of my head, demon!" The alien snarled in frustration, fighting back for a moments, before slumping forward like some meat puppet.

Edited by RobRX

Seeing Azahar stop fighting and slump down, Dragonid assumed Kharag had succeeded in assaulting his mind. He did not look dangerous now, but he did not know how long Kharag could keep him docile.

But he would be much less dangerous without that armor on. Dragonid stepped forward and reached to pull off the general's high-tech gloves. "You will not need these any more. Your fight is over." He looked around at the other Za'aki present, ready for any of them to step forward and protest or join the fight themselves. He tucked the gauntlets under his arm to keep them out of reach of anyone else.

Kharag panted from exhaustion. "I cannot keep my control over him forever. Even if I could I would not do so." While he still had the edge, Kharag mentally ordered Ahazar to begin removing the rest of his high-tech armor. Like a puppet, Ahazar began peeling the plates away, removing his armor until only a bodysuit was left.

Meanwhile, the Za'akis crowd simply looked, horrified by this turn of event. Ahazar had lost and Kharag was no doubt quite angry over the whole affair. Even if they outnumbered the two Praetorians ten to one, it didn't matter. Beside they wouldn't dare.