"This doesn't concern you, Hologram," said Tesla Atom, though a slight tremble in her voice belied her confident words. "Whatever happened with...with Psion,and from that tremor it was very clear she knew who had been in her head. "Ember Psion is still a terrorist and a would-be mass murderer. We saw you blow that man out of the plane!"

"You're lucky she was there to chase dear old Grandpa out of your head, honey, or that pretty face of yours might not be so pretty anymore. I was going to blow you and your little lunatic brother right out of the sky before I let you hurt my family. And that flatscan is fine, probably, I didn't even burn his wingsuit off.

"You-" A hero despite everything, Tesla Atom stood down, dropping her hands and letting the glow around them fade. "You're right. Psion is the real enemy, not Ember. Do you have any idea where he's gone?" She hadn't actually dropped her guard completely - but then you'd have to be crazy to do that around Ember. 

"Not far enough." Ember shot a look at Paige. "You said if I run, he'll find me, but he already found me here! He would have killed a lot of people if all these metas hadn't been here. Why shouldn't I grab Aura and just-

"No, d-dammit! I don't want to run away! I want Argent! I want my sister back!" replied Aura, breaking through Ember's tirade in a voice that actually stunned the pyrokinetic into silence. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's...it's fine, sure," replied Fast-Forward, his voice almost entirely confident. "You know how it is with women when they're with family, right? And there's a lot of emotion in the air? Last thing you want to do is get between them. Trust me, it's really hard to get out of the way when psychics have a brain-fight. Anyway, like the song says, Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister. This is no worse than when our kids fight." On freaking Anti-Earth, that is"He took a moment to calm himself before going on. "So why don't we go tend to the guards and your friend Stronghold, and such?" 

Technically the line was Lord help the sister.  But, he wasn't going to correct Fast-Forward.  Or Bing Crosby for that matter.  Especially as checking on the innocent parties was important.  They didn't exactly have  a smooth landing.  And Stronghold wasn't exactly in tip top shape when she left the Maestroplane.  It was something that Foreshadow felt guilty about.  "Not to mention the other prisoners on the transport."

Foreshadow reached for his multi purpose escrima sticks.  Switching to his swingline array he readied his exit.  "Race you there."  The statement was made tongue in cheekily.  Even if Foreshadow could ninja his way out sight unseen towards the bright open day.  The precognitive acrobat would have more luck outpacing a taxi than the famed speedster.

"It's time to stop running, Frances," Paige said, her voice tired. She kept a supportive arm around Gwen, even as her gaze focused on Ember. "I've promised I'll help you, and I will. You need to start helping yourself now. Your silence isn't protecting anybody anymore, it's only going to cause more pain. Right now we need to be able to focus on saving Josh, and on Juliette and the kids. They're in danger and she doesn't even know it yet. Stay with us and you'll be in jail, yes, but you'll still be able to help. If you take off now, you make us divide our efforts, make us less effective. You have to decide what's important to you."

• 3 weeks later...

"Don't be stupid, Aunt Paige." Despite the words, and the fact that she actually was on fire, there was no heat to Ember's words. "Julie's an empath. She can read emotions like a book. Mine, Josh's, the twins...his." She settled down a rock, her flames gradually dying down to a flicker of fire around her eyes. "She must have known. She must have known the whole time. She was willing to let him take Josh to continue the Great Work." The fire went out. "I always thought she was the only decent one of us. The one who wasn't a wimp but who really cared about the family too." She looked up at Paige and said, "All right. All right, goddamit, I'll go with you. But I am going to find a way to take off those mental blocks, and the next time I see Parker Psion, I am going to kill him."