Tales of the Praetorians: We Are Legion

Thevshi

Sintara gave a little shrug.

"After a while all conflict is the same a no of exhilaration and terror. Only the people and the technology seems to change. Now the Universe however is filled with such wonderful things and I advise you to experience as much of it as you can." She put one arm round her Amara and threw the other up into the air gesturing to the heavens.

"Stick we me kid and I'll show you many wonderful things."

Edited by TiffanyKorta
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amara could not help but smile at Sinatra's somewhat theatrical gesture and comments about the wonders of the universe. "I have had a chance to see some of the wonders there are among the stars, but I certainly welcome the opportunity to encounter more." She replied, remembering the first time she had gone out into the depths of space under her own power, as part of the testing of the powers she had received from the enhancement process.

The young Naram then looked over at another of the new Praetorians who was moving toward them through the crowds. He was a tall, hairless humanoid with hardened, callous greenish-blue skin, dressed in clothes of mainly leather, bone and chitin. "Greetings." She stated to the other new Praetorian. "I am Amara Val-Ren, also known as Paradigm, this is Sinatra, or the Traveller."

Turning to face the Approaching reptilian with eyes wide with wonderment myothizar finds himself barely able to contain his glee "Greeting Brother!" Myothizar giddily chirps, antenna fully extended with excitement, making friends was so easy; this one was already calling him brother! "I am Myothizar the moon-moth, you may callings me Myoth if you likes, I am very much forward looking to workings with you!" voice starting to squeak a little as he runs out of air to project his words with, still not used to having to breath in passively to facilitate his newfound voice.

During his short breathing break his keen eyes wander over to the winged jetpack and his mind, sharp though it is immediately leaps to a conclusion and when he next speaks he is far more somber and collected "I am sorry to see you are injured brother dragonid" gesturing to what he believes to be a prosthetic set of wings "If you likes I could try to heal you, though warnings; I have been tolds regrowing lost limbs is very uncomfortable."

Dragonid's lip curled back a bit as he saw the Moth man examining his "wings", but he composed himself. "No, Brother Myothizar. I am not injured. I was born without wings, a defect among my people, but not one that can be healed." He looked back at his jetpack. Of course it looked like a set of wings. Was it that obvious he had had it designed to compensate for the ones that nature had denied him? "This device simply gives me back the sky, it does not function as true wings."

"I will remember, though. Skills at healing are always to be valued. It is good to call you ally. Does the breathing here pain you?" he asked as he noticed the moon moth's difficulty. "I have heard that not all worlds have the same air, do you come from such a world?"

Moth feels a pang of self disgust for being so rude to his new friend and honorary brother "apologizes, my mouth outruns my mind" he says with a deeper bow of his head, not wanting to ignore his faux pas but glad of the oppertunity to change the subject "I am unfamiliar with breathing, our people migrated to our satellite, our home was inhospitable due to damage in the ozone, every dawn would cause our world to burn, lacking an atmosphere in our new home we speaks in hand words, i speak not good the mouth words and...." Gasping loudly to rapidly refil his lungs when the thought occurs to him"...Forget to refil for making sound some of the times."

"happens to be that mine wings are atrophied to vestigial." he adds in "no air to fly in...wonder we stills metamorphose them at maturity...maybe is just for pretty?" he asks flaring them to show the patterns and inadvertently scattering the scales his robe had been keeping hold of "....messy though."

Edited by Exaccus

“I doubt you’ve seen half the things I’ve encounter, though a lot has changed since I was in this part of the galaxy. And a lot has been lost...â€

She frowned as she thought about how much had changed since her sleep. But dwelling on the past wasn’t really something that Sitara had ever done.

“But it seems that drinking establishments and alcohol never seem to go out of fashion.†she grinned broadly and turned her attention to the newcomer “Greeting and well met.â€

"You live without air?" Dragonid asked, amazed. "That does not seem possible. But then, the science of my people could not explain much of what I have seen since I left my home. We did not even know there was life on other worlds, let alone such variety. So much of it totally unlike me."

He stooped to pick up one of the scales that Myoth had dropped, looking at it closely. "It must take great effort to keep such delicate wings unbroken. Do they not get in the way while you work, pretty as they may be?"

Kharag smirked, amused. "A being which breathe no air, yet is very much one of flesh and blood. A mortal being which can live within the great expanses of the celestial world. I am impressed." What a strange creature it was, but still he couldn't help but feel fascinated; even on his savage homeworld, air was something just about everything required.

"You'd be wise to cover these delicate wings. They would be nothing more than a liability in battle. What fragile organs they must be."

"Indeeds, I must confess myself no seasoned warrior...my peoples were driven to unity by the hardships of home and had no needs for the wage of wars." he says folding his wings away before they can make more mess "But we are by no means weaklings...I assures you When the Metaphorical hits the proverbial, you shalls not be needing to carryings me on yours back." puffing up his chest a little project his confidence in his competance and capabilities. "Though, I am moving somewhat swiftly in the mind and with such able allies to be learnings from i will swiftlies be able to pick up these useful Knowings." he adds in an attempt to not sound arrogant or dismissive of what is clearly an important part of their cultures.

"But I Talks about myself too much; I am curiousness abouts you brothers!;  What are your homes and peoples like?" he asks squeaking a little bit again "you both seem plentiful mightiness, what manner of trials and triumphs forges such fearsomes warriors?"

"My world?" asked Dragonid. "The air is much like this. Less impressive buildings. Greater forests. My people had not found their way to the stars when the Delzatri found us. I believe they found us still not ready to leave our home. There is still much fighting among rival nations, and the warrior class rules over the workers and the scientists. As far as I know, only I was taken off world." He shrugged, "I was unfairly sent to the worker class. I rebelled against such treatment, now I represent my people among the stars. The Fathers would be amused, I think."

Amara noted the slight frown that appeared on Sitara's face as she mentioned how some things had changed or been lost, but that was quickly replaced by a grin.  The young Naram decided not to question Sitara about what she meant, feeling the other would elaborate more if she wanted to.  Instead, Amara choose to focus on the points Sitara seemed more positive about.  "I am most likely have not seen nearly as much as you, something I hope to change."  She stated with a smile of her own.  "As for drinking establishments, I believe you mentioned knowing a nearby one?"

Sitara gave Amara a big smile

“The first thing I do when I arrive in the place is fine the best pubs on the planet. Cause there is the chance we might have to settle a rather large bar tab, and I fleeced some of the locals at cards. But that just makes things more interesting.†she looked rather pleased with herself at how things played out

“How about we gather up all the new Praetorians and toast to the future of the Empire?â€

"Well, I have to question how tasteful these brews may be." The alien dryly said. "But I suppose I would have to find myself agreeing. Truly, a shame I have not brought gifts of my own; gifts harvested from the bountiful yet deadly lands of my city, with the sweat and blood of my people. So yes, by all means show me if what you have found is truly worth my time."

"Soundings wonderful" Chirped the excited Lanternian, antenna wiggling madly on top of his head as he works himself up a little too much "goods for familiarizing ourselves with each-others and the Delzatri composite culturals distinctiveness." he reasons out loud 

<I wonder if this alchahols stuff is sweet or maybe sour?> he silently ponders, feeling slightly sheepish that apparently everyone but him knew what the stuff was.

<Maybe is a ritual to consumes the alchahol with fraternal and sorority orders?>

GM

The crowd around the new Praetorians was thinning, as the older members came forward to congratulate the newer members, then had to depart to attend to their many duties. It was not long before only the newer members remained, and with not much in the way of duties thus far, they were free to follow Traveller as she lead the group out of the Praetorians’ hall and off toward the Old Town of the Delaztri capital.

The Old Town sat at the lower level of the center of the capital, down among the foundations for the soaring spires and connecting platforms that made up the heart of the modern capital. The buildings were older, built from older materials, although often with some more modern technological amenities. The streets were crowded with beings hailing from numerous races throughout the Empire and beyond. Soon, they had arrived at the bar that Taveller had spoken about.

The bar had seen better day but for some reason it made it all the more appealing to Sitara. It was near one of the docks and the workers liked to get drunk and cause trouble, so in a flash of inspiration the bar owner now offered generous tabs to the Praetorians who tended to defuse fight with minimal damages. Thing were looking up so much that she’d even hired a small band to play upbeat music for the patrons.

“I’m sure that band plays the same song all night. It’s a couple of hour before the shifts change so we have time for a toast or toast to the Praetorians before a fight breaks out.â€

"If they intend to keep the same song all night, then I suppose at some point I will have to intervene." Kharag said, deadpan as he observed the band. At first, he remained impassive, merely observing the band. Slowly, but surely his head bobbed to the left, then right as he slowly got into the beat, leaving others to gaze at this rather unusual and almost...comical sight.

"I swear, if this song remains for more than a few days within my head, I will pronounce vendetta on their entire bloodline." The Za'akis said, completely deadpan once more while he kept bobbing his head.

Moon-Moth quite liked the bar, it was filled with interesting people, and it had a strange sort of vibration going through it that was like mouth-words but different in many ways, he was quite interested in learning what language the "band" was speaking that required metal implements, making a note to ask traveler about it later but for now he had rather more pressing issues to attend too, quietly and as subtly as he could he sidles up to Paradigm, she seemed the kind of person who wouldn't poke fun at him.

"We's not got alcohols on lantern, you know?" he states, trying to make it sound as much as a interesting factoid to mention as a subtle plea for help; "Not sures what i should try first."

Edited by Exaccus

Amara had found the Old Town section of the capital rather fascinating, with its old buildings and streets. Of course, she had stood out among the crowds a bit more than many of her fellow new Praetorians, save for the former Murian officer, Elite.

The young Naram took in the bar that Sitara had brought them too for a moment, as the bar's owner called out a welcome and directed the Praetorians to a seat in a corner of the main room. It was a bit run down, but certainly seemed a popular place, even if there were apparently fights that needed to be dealt with at times.

At Moon-Moth's questions, Amara looked over at the Lanternian. "I am afraid I only know a little about Lantern my friend, but I look forward to learning much more from you during our time serving the Empire together." She stated. "I will help you find a drink that is of a milder potency to try first."

Dragonid settled in the bar, ordering a hot alcoholic brew he had grown fond of recently. "I do not want to hear this same song all night, but I like it. The instruments are strange, but something about the tune reminds me of my homeworld. I feel like I have heard it before."

He shrugged and took a swig of his drink. He was not a neat drinker. Try as he might, the liquid always sloshed out of the sides of his mouth and down his neck. He knew that some who were unfamiliar with his race found this display rude or distasteful, but he was not going to apologize for the way his mouth was built. Wiping his face clean he addressed the others, "Surely our mere presence should discourage any sort of fighting here."

Kharag had already adapted himself to the bar...to a point, as he boldly and loudly declared; "I demand a tribute of your most potent brews! You there! You, yes! Fetch me the brew!" Apparently, Kharag was not used to actually paying for any service, usually simply demanding to be given what he want, which his servants would have or be given tribute. Of course, before his unification of Za'ak, his species was not one to make intensive use of money, so the concept was in itself was quite new to him.

Sitara couldn’t help frown at Kharag actions it was fine when it was other Praetorians but not when it those in favorite bar. With a quiet clicking sound she deployed one of her gauntlets and gently clipped Kharag around the back of the head.

“That is a citizen of the Delaztri Empire and as a Praetorian you are sown to protect them and treat them with respect. This isn’t the primitive mud ball that you call home and you aren't some Barbarian King lording it over us your subjects.â€

She looked at Kharag with a stern serious face, she wasn’t joking around this time.

“So are you going to apologize to them and treat them properly, or are we going to have to fight this out?â€

Kharag remained impassive despite the great affront of Traveller. In a tone much colder and harsher than his usual bombastic tone, he spoke up; "You call it a 'mud ball'. I call it home, from the raging oceans of the south to the arid mountains of the north, from the beautifuly deadly mushroom forests to the unforgiving, flesh-searing deserts." He then extended his hand, in a grand gesture, sweeping in front of him. "From all over Za'ak, I travelled, joining the voices of my the people, my people, toward a greater whole, a greater destiny. I have seen it's wonder and it's most terrifying creatures. It was I who led my people into a new era of prosperity"

The alien's eyes moved, looking at Sitara. "How presumptuous and arrogant of you to call it a mud ball. Who gave you the right to judge my home?"

Moon-moth is enjoying the drink Amara has recommended too much to pay heed to what he assumes is a mating ritual between Sitara and kharag, its sugary sweetness has him enraptured even as it burns his throat and boils in his stomach, fogging his mind just that little with the beginnings of a pleasant buzz.

"Is indeedings the goods!" he says with a squeaky hiccup, having drunk too much, much too quickly he presents his recpticle to the barman.

"mores pleasings you thanks." he says a little more jumbled than usual, though prehapse more from excitement than inebriation.
"When you said you hoped we could get a few toasts in before a fight breaks out, Traveller", Dragonid laughed over his drink at the squabbling, "I did not know you intended to start one yourself. This is not the time for threats and anger."

"You must be careful, Myothizar" he added to the Moth man. "Those drinks can catch new drinkers unaware. We must retain our wits whenever we might be needed. You will be of little use if you cannot see straight." he took another drink himself, choosing not to set a good example.