Nightingale (PL 8/13) - Sorus (Platinum)

April

Nightingale
Power Level: 8 / 13 (180/215PP)
Trade-Offs: None
Unspent PP: 35

In Brief: A thief turned religious sister turned vampire turned thief turned hero.

Alternate Identities: Nicola "Nick" Cervenka
Identity: Secret
Birthplace: Prague, Czech Republic
Affiliations: None
Family: None

Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 135
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Dark Brown, often dyed.

Even before she was transformed into a vampire Nicola was a pale skinned brunette whose height, gray eyes and slender build would have turned more than a few heads. She carries herself with unshakable calm and moves with a preternatural--and almost predatory--grace that carries over as an uncanny stillness, though in manner she is warm and inviting. Nicola doesn't confine herself to one particular fashion or style, wearing what she feels like, and sometimes dying her hair to match (or as the mood takes her.) The one ubiquitous accessory that is nearly always in her possession is the rosary she held from her all-too-brief service to the church.

Heroics, on the other hand, call for a certain look. Wearing dark clothing shrouded in a black long coat, Nightingale seeks to invoke the intimidating style of the eighties and early nineties, while also giving a nod to the fashions of private detectives. Sometimes she even wears sunglasses at night.

History:
My name is Nicola, and despite appearances to the contrary, I am not a monster.

"Willful," the school administrators called me, which was a polite way of saying stubborn and opinionated, and though I wasn't fully aware of it at the time I knew it caused no end of frustration for my parents. That being said the first thirteen years of my life were fairly ordinary, and that chapter of my life closed with a fairly ordinary car accident.

There isn't much to say about the time between the car accident to the time I felt I could do better or my own. That "willfulness" again I suppose, but by the age of 16 I was eking out a living on the streets of Prague doing an odd job here or there but mainly I was a thief. There were some hard lessons to learn, and the first I learned was that it was "safer" (relatively speaking) to be a boy, and with my frame it was certainly easy to disguise myself as one which worked well for a time.

Then I met Kveta.

She was a little older than me, a few years I think, and had been at the game longer than I was. She was also quick, smart, charming, and one hell of a thief and I found myself pulled into her orbit. She taught me a lot and, gradually I came to love her. In hindsight, that's probably not what it was, but I was young and convinced and, well, love is a weird thing--the one you love is either completely incapable of wrong and you don't dwell too much on their actions or you do the complete opposite.

Writing that down, that sounds more like obsession. Which, yeah, fits.

I never really thought about the other girls, and some boys, Kveta recruited. I didn't really think of it as recruiting, but sure enough there was soon a small gang of us. And some of the things we were doing changed and instead of being on our own we took jobs for the Bratva, petty theft started to give way to higher and higher stakes; picking pockets gave way to cracking safes and.. well..

I ended up in prison.

My stay was comparatively short, most of the evidence against me turned up missing, but I started to have doubts about the direction of my life. I started talking to a Catholic deacon, and as terribly cliché as this sounds, I found a new path to follow. When I was released, with the help and recommendation of Deacon Anatoli I joined a local convent as a novice sister.

The work was good, my life was in general looking better, and the other sisters did not judge me for my past. I say was, because one night a stranger came to our door seeking shelter from a storm. Something seemed off about the man, and my old instincts warned against allowing him in, but before I could say anything the man identifying himself as "МаÑтер," was invited in.

Then all hell broke loose as he tore the throat out of the sister that invited him in. The other sisters scattered, terrified but I was, perhaps, a bit stupid. I kicked him, I punched him, I grabbed him and slammed his face against the brick wall and... and he laughed at me. Moving faster than I could follow, I felt a sudden impact before my vision went black.

The state of the convent when I woke was the stuff of nightmares, and I'll spare you the details of the grisly scene and the discovery of my own changes, suffice to say that I still pray that God will one day reveal why he allows creatures such as I. I've had to resort to theft again, to eat, to live. The alternative is not an option I want to take.

I'm not sure why I was spared (if you can call it that,) but I will find this "Master" and put an end to him. I've caught a trace of him in Freedom City, in America, which is in a way to my benefit. I might be able to find allies, even friends, and it is a city where I can do some good.

Personality & Motivation:
Nicola is... complicated.

She is determined to find--and possibly unmake--the person who made her what she is, not for her sake but so that it doesn't happen to others. Though she hides it behind an aloof--sometimes cold--exterior, a strong altruistic streak runs through Nightingale; she doesn't have much but what she has she'll give to others if their need is great. Nicola isn't suicidal, in the eyes of the faith she still clings to such a thing is a sin, though she's prone to bouts of melancholy when she stops to consider what she has become which tends to make her a little eager to be the martyr.

She still clings to her faith, if only by the fingertips, but she wonders why God would even allow creatures such as she.

Powers & Tactics:
As both a vampire and a blood mage, Nicola has a number of physical or magical means to track, subdue or otherwise function as a hero. She has a limited focus in her blood magic on manipulating the blood directly, preferring to concentrate on the more on the familial and social relationships of blood magic, and the breakdown of those relationships.

Complications:
I Never Drink... Wine: Nightingale can only survive off of blood, normal foods do nothing for her and in some cases make her ill! However if blood is mixed in with the foods she can eat them without being sick. She still gains no nourishment from it, though in the case of alcohol it'd at least allow her to feel the effects.

Tarnished: Before she was a religious sister Nicola was a thief. Not a particularly good thief, nor a particularly bad one, but one that didn't quite respect international borders--and would occasionally work for those of dubious character, like the Russian mob for instance. Interpol has a file on her, and watches her movements.

Literally A Monster: Vampire Blood Mage; not a combination of attributes that has the best of reputations.

Sun Sensitive: While the sun isn't deadly to Nicola, she does find prolonged exposure to be uncomfortable and sufficiently long periods are painful with the headaches they produce. Sudden exposure to bright sunlight can also be particularly distracting though the effect can be mitigated somewhat with eye protection.

Abilities:
Strength: 26 (+8)
Dexterity: 28 (+9)
Constitution: - (-5)
Intelligence: 18 (+4)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 24 PP
Initiative: +9
Attack: +8
Grapple: +16
Defense: +8 (+4 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -4

Saving Throws: 0 + 0 + 7 = 7PP
Toughness: +8 (+8 Protection)
Fortitude: Immune
Reflex: +9 (+9 Dex, +0)
Will: +8 (+1 Will, +7)

Skills: 108 Ranks/27 PP
Acrobatics 6 (+15)
Bluff 9 (+12, +16 Attractive)
Diplomacy 9 (+12, +16 Attractive)
Disable Device 11 (+15)
Drive 1 (+10)
Gather Information 2 (+5)
Investigate 6 (+10)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 6 (+10)
Knowledge: Streetwise 3 (+7)
Knowledge: Theology 3 (+7)
Language 2 (Czech [Native], English, Russian)
Medicine 4 (+5)
Notice 9 (+10)
Perform: Percussion 4 (+7)
Search 6 (+10)
Sense Motive 9 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+15)
Stealth 12 (+21)

Feats: 14 PP
All-Out Attack
Attractive
Dodge Focus 4
Evasion 2
Fascinate: Diplomacy
Fearless
Power Attack
Ritualist
Takedown Attack 1
Uncanny Dodge: Olfactory

Equipment:
None

Powers: 68 PP
Blood Magic 5 (10PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 4) [14 PP]

BP: Damage 8 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude], Flaws: Distracting, Requires Grapple, Feats: Insidious, Subtle) linked Boost 12 (Single Trait [Regeneration], Extras: Affects Objects [Only], Flaws: Personal, Source [blood]) [10 PP]

AP: Healing 8 (Flaws: Tiring, Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [10 PP]

AP: Move Object 8 (Strength 40 [Heavy Load: 3.2 tons], Extras: Range [Perception], Flaws: Limited [Objects/Individuals with Blood], Extra Save [Fortitude], Feats: Precise) [9 PP]

AP: Sensory Link 8 (2000 Miles, Flaws: Distracting, Feats: Subtle 2) [10 PP]

AP: Super-Senses 4 (Postcognition, Flaws: Source [blood]) and Mind Reading 8 (Extras: Action [Move/Standard], Flaws: Duration [instant/Lasting], Range 2 [Touch], Source [blood], Feats: Subtle 2) [6 PP]

Immunity 30 (Fortitude Save) [30 PP]

Protection 8 (+8 Toughness) [8 PP]

Regeneration 6 (Recovery Bonus +5 [+0 Total], Resurrection 1 [week], Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses, Blood Recharges]) [3 PP]

Super-Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2 PP]

Super-Senses 6 (Blood Awareness [Olfactory, Very Common Descriptor], Acute, Tracking 2 [Normal Speed]) [6 PP]

Enhanced Physiology 1 (5PP Container [Passive, Permanent]) [5 PP]

Leaping 1 (x2 [Running Long Jump: 30 ft.])
Speed 2 (25 MPH, 250 ft./rnd)
Super-Movement 1 (Slow Fall)

Drawbacks: -0PP
None

DC Block:
[table]ATTACK RANGE SAVE EFFECTUnarmed Touch DC 23 Toughness (Staged) Damage Damage 8 Touch DC 23 Toughness (Staged) Damage Healing 8 Touch DC 18 Fortitude (Harmless) Healing Mind Reading 8 Touch DC 18 Willpower Mind Reading Move Object 8 Perception DC 18 Fortitude Move Object Sensory Link 8 2000 Miles DC 18 Willpower ESP [/table]

Totals: Abilities (40) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (7) + Skills (27) + Feats (14) + Powers (68) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/215 Power Points