Alien Sniper/Archer

GooseInduced

Hello all! Wanna get up the skeleton on my archer to get help and critiques on the build and mechanics. Still writing up all the history and all that but I will add it when it's finished. Mostly wanna make sure what I have isn't trash.

Player Name: GooseInduced

Character Name:

Power Level: 10 [150/150 pp]

Trade-Offs:

Unspent Power Points:

Progress To Bronze Status:

In Brief: Alien Sniper/Archer with enhanced senses and a few tricks up her sleeve. Inspired by both the Na'vi and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Alternate Identity:

Identity:

Birthplace:

Affiliations:

Family:

Description: Their planet was large. The majority of the land on this planet consisted of desert. Rich in minerals and resources. The sand of which is more copper and brown colored than the deserts of earth. The entire planet wasn't all desert though. There were large under ground rivers that are reachable by many cave systems and feed the more fertile forests and jungles. The sentient species of the planet started in these jungles. A place of dark and rich colors. Coppers and browns, Greens so dark they are nearly black. Time and evolution forced them out of these furtile lands because of all the predators. At one point nearly all of the males were wiped out and out  of preservation they fled.

As their species and culture grew the men and women each took different roles. The larger, stronger men took on the role of Warriors. While the smaller, faster and more dexterous women took on the roles of Hunters and Gatherers. For reasons that the species took to be spiritual, the predators of the jungle always hunted the men. Not just killed, hunted. They took it as a sign. the jungle didn't want them there. So the women were taught to hunt. Using large bows strong enough to pierce the hides of the fierce beasts within.

The species it's self is humanoid. Bipedal and standing between 7 and 8.5 feet tall. The women being on the shorter end of the spectrum. The simplest way to describe their appearance is reptilian, though they are in fact Monotremes. Their skin is covered in plates and scales all along their arms, upper chest, shoulders and backs. The rest of them are still scaled but less armored. Their faces are sleek, the ridge of their wide noses blending seamlessly into their foreheads. The structure is similar to that of a human, though the features are smoothed over. Their ears are flat and non protruding. Their eyes are wide and colorful with the iris extending beyond the visible parts of the eye. Their mouths are full of sharp teeth, though molars in the back mean they have a omnivorous diet. They have hair but it bares little resemblance to the hair of a human. It is thick, almost quill like, though flexible and usually translucent. They rely on plantigrade locomotion (similar to humans). The females have a adapted an opposable big toe to help with climbing in the jungles and this makes them all rather skilled climbers. They are built similarly to a human, though they appear stockier because of the natural armor of their bodies.

Ethnicity: Non-Human

Height: 7'3

Weight: 245 lbs

Eyes: Gold

Hair: Bronze

Power Descriptions:

History:

Personality & Motivation:

Powers & Tactics:

Complications:

Abilities: = 51PP

Strength: 25/30(+7/+10 Super strength)

Dexterity: 28 (+9)

Constitution: 22 (+6)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 8 + 12 = 20PP

Initiative: +13

Attack: +4 Base, +8 Melee (+4 Base, +4 Attack Focus) , +10 Bow (+4 Base, +6 Attack Specialization)

Grapple: +12

Defense: +10 (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus) +3 Flat-footed

Knockback: -5

Saving Throws: 4 + 1 + 4 = 9PP

Toughness: +10 (+6 Con, +4 Scales)

Fortitude: +10 (+6 Con, +4 base)

Reflex: +10 (+9 Dex, +1 base)

Will: +7 (+3 Wis, +4 base)

Skills: 56R = 14PP

Acrobatics 6(+19/+24)

Climb 10 (+17)

Intimidate 10 (+10)

Notice 10 (+13)

Stealth 10 (+19)

Survival 10 (+13)

Feats: 25PP

Attack Focus: Melee 4

Attack Specialization : Bow 3

Dodge focus 4

Equipment 2

Improved Critical 2 - Bow Array 18-20

Improved Initiative

Luck

Precise Shot

Quick Draw 2

Second Chance: Survival

Skill Mastery: Climb, Intimidate, Notice, Stealth

Startle

Track

Uncanny Dodge (Auditory - Ultra Hearing)

Powers: 19 + 1 + 4+ 12 + 3 + 2 = 31PP

Device 6 (30PP Device, Easy to Lose) Super Alloy Bow and Trick Arrows (Feats: Restricted: Strength 24 ), Hologram Device[19PP]

Morph 1 - Personal Hologram Device

[1/30PP]

[array] Trick Arrows  (Ammunition, Device; 25PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 4) [29/30PP]

Base Power: Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Range 3 – 1000 ft increments, Precise, Split Attack) [25/25PP]

Fatigue 7- Tranquilizer Arrowhead(Extras: Ranged Feats: Improved Range 3 – 700 ft increments, Sedation) [25/25PP]

Corrosion 7-  Acid Vial Arrowhead(Extras: Ranged Feats: Improved Range 3 – 700 ft increments, Incurable) [25/25PP]

Dazzle 10- Visual - Flash Arrowhead (Extras: Burst 35 - 70ft; Flaws: Sense Dependant – Visual; Feats: Indirect, Improved Range 3- 1000ft increments) [25/25PP]

Snare 10- Sticky Gel Arrowhead (Extras: Regenerating; Flaws: Entangle; Feats: Improved Range 3 – 1000 ft increments) [25/25PP]

[Equipment]Equipment 2 - Space Age Knife (8 pp container)

Strike 3  (Feats: Mighty; Features: Improved Critical 19-20) [5PP][/Equipment]

Leaping 1 [1]

Protection 4 - Natural Scales and Plating[4]

Super Senses 1 (Low Light Vision, Darkvision, Distance Sense, Extended Vision 3 - 1 mile, Infravision, Tracking - Infravision, Ultra Hearing [12]

Speed 3 (50mph) [3]

Super Strength 1 (+5 Str Carrying Capacity, Heavy Load: 3,200 lbs, +1Str  - Conditional) [2]

DC Block

ATTACK RANGE EFFECT

Blast 1000 ft DC 25 Toughness

Corrosion 700 ft DC 22 Fortitude

Dazzle 1000 ft DC 25 Reflex + Fortitude

Fatigue 700 ft DC 17 Fortitude(Staged)

Snare 1000 ft DC DC 25 Reflex

Strike Touch DC 25 Toughness (Staged)

Totals: Abilities (51) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (9) + Skills (14) + Feats (25) + Powers (31) - Drawbacks (0) = (150/150) Power Points

Edited by GooseInduced

Goose, one thing glancing at the sheet:

While I do not have my books with me right now, I am pretty certain that just buying Improved Range for the various powers in your bow will no longer give you multiple range increments (at least for some of the attacks).

An attack/powers range normally involves two parts: (1) the range increment (that is how far before you start taking penalties on your attacks), which is Power Rank x 10; and (2) the max range (which is the maximum distance the attack/power can go), which 10 range increments.  So, for a Rank 10 Blast, you normally have 100 foot range increments and a max range of 1000 feet.

When you buy Improved Range, that increases the range increment for the attack/power, just like you calculate.  HOWEVER, the book states that this increase in the range increment does not also increase the max range, which is still calculated as if the Improved Range feat was not there.  This has the effect of increasing the distance before you suffer any penalties for an attack roll, but only to the normal maximum range.  So, with your Rank 10 Blast, your range increment equals your maximum range, 1000 feet.

If you want to have both improved range increments and increase your maximum range, you will also need to buy the Progression (Range) feat, which will increase the maximum range of a power.

Hmmmmmmm...... *looks up the feat* Ok. This is a quote right from the book - "This feat improves the range increment of a ranged power, moving the base increment (power rank × 10 feet) one step up the Time and Value Progression Table. So Improved Range 1 makes a ranged power’s increment (rank × 25) feet, then (rank × 50), and so forth. The power still has a maximum range of 10 increments."

So if I am reading this correctly that means that the blast 10 now has a range increment of 1000 and max range of that times ten... which is 10,000.

Progressive is far less descriptve - "Each time you apply this feat, move the area, range, mass, subjects, or other trait of the power one step up the Time and Value Progression Table. See the power and modifier descriptions for details on specific applications of Progression."

Which would do...... what? The only thing I can think that means in that it increases the max range increments? So one rank goes to 25 increments while continuing to apply negatives?

A you say?

(Buddy up time?)

So, some crunch advice:

The personal holograph device? Not sure what that is, and is it tied to the bow?

Supersenses I count as 13PP. Is there any need for Darkvision if you have Infravision (or Ultravision?)

Blast power looks good but in reference to above, with Improved Range 3, it is 1000' increments and a maximum range of 1000'. that works for a bow, I guess :) 

Fatigue Arrow works, but sedation is a different matter. Sedation represents some ongoing ability to keep the target unconscious through active effort. Like a Psionic Sleep power which can keep on working. You do need to take a free action each round to keep the target unconscious - which means no changing of the array. To be honest, a sleep drug is not really well mimicked with sedation. What you may be looking for is the Sleep (+0) extra, which sends targets to sleep for hours rather than minutes, but they can be woken up by somebody else (or loud noises). 

Corrosion Arrow is costed incorrectly. If it is ranged, it is the disinergrate power, worth 5 PP/ Rank. You may wish to replace this with a plain Drain Toughness Ranged Power and call it "Molecular Acid" or something. 

Dazzle is sense dependent by default, sorry! :(

My advice, if you can afford it, is to try and make that a 30 POints arrow array and do something like:

Blast 10, Improved Critical 2, Improved Range 3, Range Progression 3, Richocet, Split Attack 30 PP "Rocket Powered Arrow"

Fatigue 10, Ranged, Sleep, 30 PP "Knockout Drug"

Drain 10, Ranged, Affects Objects, 30 PP "Molecular Acid Head"

Dazzle 10, Burst Area,. 30 PP "Flash Arrow"

Snare 10, Extras: Contagious 30 PP "Gloop Arrrow"

Still, thats just me! :)

Looks fun!

Also, looking at the supersense, Extended Range 3 for Vision gives you 10,000 foot range increments, which means you can see out almost 2 miles before you suffer a -1 penalty for Visual Notice checks, 20,000 feet before you only suffer a -2!  You can probably afford to dial that back to 2 ranks (1,000 foot increments).  (Personally, I find it a bit problematic when a character is able to easily see what is going on across the city, problems with the curve of the Earth starting to block sight not withstanding).

Wow! Thanks for all the input guys!!! I really appreciate it!

Thevshi: No. I was looking at the core book. I just took a look at the UP though. I didn't realize that there were different rules in there on some things and that they would override the core book. I can always tweak those feats a bit. Maybe take a rank of improved range and put it into progression. I also wasn't sure how visual range worked. I was just assuming it worked similar to other ranges I suppose. I want her to be able to see about a mile like normal.

Supercape: Some of my decisions are thematic. I don't have everything out of my head and onto a page yet but the ideas are there I swear!! But yes, I wanted to do a tranquilizer dart of sorts. Wasn't sure how to pull it off and was just trying what looked good. I was hoping i could just add ranged to Corrosion. I realize that Disintegrate is technically the ranged version but all it is is an acid compound. Designed to frustrated robots and potentially weaken that pesky wall so it gets out of the way. But I suppose drain toughness could work. It does a similar thing I suppose.

To Clarify I will write a bit of this out and put it on the sheet for others to see.

I have been working on the race for a while. I have always liked the idea of the Na'vi from the Avatar movie. Giant Aliens with a naturalistic culture. Using huge bows to impale the much smaller humans throughout the film. They are very interesting. Off and on I have been contemplating a similar race. Something I could use for my own purposes that would capture a similar flavor while being more my style.

While Blue Cat people with glow and the dark freckles are sort of the epitome of things I enjoy I had to find my own flavor and thus far the basics are as follows.

Their planet was large. The majority of the land on this planet consisted of desert. Rich in minerals and resources. The sand of which is more copper and brown colored than the deserts of earth. The entire planet wasn't all desert though. There were large under ground rivers that are reachable by many cave systems and feed the more fertile forests and jungles. The sentient species of the planet started in these jungles. A place of dark and rich colors. Coppers and browns, Greens so dark they are nearly black. Time and evolution forced them out of these furtile lands because of all the predators. At one point nearly all of the males were wiped out and out  of preservation they fled.

As their species and culture grew the men and women each took different roles. The larger, stronger men took on the role of Warriors. While the smaller, faster and more dexterous women took on the roles of Hunters and Gatherers. For reasons that the species took to be spiritual, the predators of the jungle always hunted the men. Not just killed, hunted. They took it as a sign. the jungle didn't want them there. So the women were taught to hunt. Using large bows strong enough to pierce the hides of the fierce beasts within.

The species it's self is humanoid. Bipedal and standing between 7 and 8.5 feet tall. The women being on the shorter end of the spectrum. The simplest way to describe their appearance is reptilian, though they are in fact Monotremes. Their skin is covered in plates and scales all along their arms, upper chest, shoulders and backs. The rest of them are still scaled but less armored. Their faces are sleek, the ridge of their wide noses blending seamlessly into their foreheads. The structure is similar to that of a human, though the features are smoothed over. Their ears are flat and non protruding. Their eyes are wide and colorful with the iris extending beyond the visible parts of the eye. Their mouths are full of sharp teeth, though molars in the back mean they have a omnivorous diet. They have hair but it bares little resemblance to the hair of a human. It is thick, almost quill like, though flexible and usually translucent. They rely on plantigrade locomotion (similar to humans). The females have a adapted an opposable big toe to help with climbing in the jungles and this makes them all rather skilled climbers. They are built similarly to a human, though they appear stockier because of the natural armor of their bodies.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case Goose (both with what you were going on for the Improved Range and increasing your visual range).

At Extended 2 (1,000 foot increments), you would really only be looking at -4/-5 for about a mile out, which is pretty darn good all things considered.  Sadly there is no in between. :(

Alrighty. Working on tweaking this and realized I grossly miscalculated some stuff so i'm working on getting it all under 150 PP. (misread my own handwriting) Looking through the drawbacks brought up a question. The purpose of the hologram is that she doesn't look human. If she is going to blend in on the planet, or potentially another planet, she would need something that will help her blend in. The book says you can use points in device on different items as long as it is within reason. So I was thinking either a necklace or some sort of bracelet.

My question is referring to her normal form. Technically her normal shape is her secret identity. She's trying to blend in. Without her hologram or if it fails she would be exposed. Is that work a drawback of some sort?

Also I saw the 'Noticible' drawback and am applying it to her protection

Edited by GooseInduced

Well, on the Device (or technically, multiple devices), we have put in place a house rule that modifies that part of the power from what is in the book.  It is called the multiple weapon feat (like what Thunder has for Solvrytter's spear and hammer).  It is mainly for when you have multiple weapons/devices that are in an array, but would likley apply where you have two devices that operate independently from each other (ie taking the bow away would not effect the hologram device, and vice versa).

Another issue is a bracelet or necklace would likely be hard to lose, while the bow is easy to lose. 

My suggestion, which you might not be keen on.  Dropping 2 ranks of Improved Range, Lowering the Ranged Damage to 9.  And making similar adjustments across the board.  You can then lower the Device by a rank.  I see that you have spent 2 PP on equipment but only have 1 PP's worth of equipment.  Meaning you can take a PP from there and use it to buy a device for the morph.  If there is some equipment you want, you could take the point from elsewhere.  Be it strength, speed, Attack Focus (well okay if you lower the blast you'll probably be buying attack focus ranged or increasing base in turn, so probably not there), or the big target your saves.

Well, I did say that a necklace would likely be hard to lose, you could have it easy to lose, which would mean there would be some more opportunities for your true self to be reveled.

Another thought I had though, you say this is just a hologram to hide who/what you really are.  I am not sure Morph is the right way to mimic that, as Morph involves actual changes to your appearance/height/etc.  If it is just a hologram, your character would still be over seven feet tall inside the hologram, that extra height would just be hidden, which could cause her some complications as she still is really that tall (like if someone thought they were throwing a ball over her head and, SUPRISE, it actually hits her actual head a foot above what the hologram shows).

Perhaps a better way to handle the hologram would be a Feature (personal hologram projector) (1PP) along with some complications for the fact it is just hiding your actual size and form, not actually changing it?

The cost would be on the device (not within the container), just like the restricted.

Also, a few other things of note:

For your Strength, Super Strength does not make your STR 30 for purposes of damage bonus.  You would not list it under abilities.  It gives you a STR 30 for lifting purposes, which you would note in the Super Strength power, along with the heavy load for STR 30.

For your Acrobatics Skill, 6 ranks + 9 for Dex is only +15.