Coordination....IN SPACE!!!

Here's a nice 'map' of the Milky Way Galaxy, showing our approximate position; if we picture it divided into rough thirds by the three main factions, it works out pretty well. Note that the current thinking is that the center of the galaxy is a massive black hole!

Milky_Way_galaxy_sun05.jpg

I would like to think that the major powers have hard control a quarter or so of the galaxy, which means there are regular patrols and the citizens tend to be pretty loyal. They claim perhaps half of the galaxy, with most of the difference being outback areas, or lightly patrolled, or just dead and uninhabited systems that they claim like various real nations draw borders across the Sahara or Mojave. A third of the galaxy is virtually unexplored 'wild' space where anything could exist; and the last bits are either independent systems like Earth, or controlled by self-contained sovereign forces, like the Curator or the Gorgon or the Communion.

I agree with Rav on this, I do not like the idea of saying that the only three major space powers mentioned in the FC sourcebook each have roughly a third of our galaxy under their control. (This is irrespective of the discussion last night on how the Stellar Khanate should be the smallest of the three). I like the idea that a majority of our galaxy is not controlled by those three space powers, either being unexplored (by those three) or under the control of other space powers, after all, on the opposite side of the galaxy, there could be a space power that rivals the Lor Republic in size. (Freedom’s Most Wanted talks about the Jerreid Hegemony, the race of seven and a half foot tall humanoid alligators which the Alien-Gator was one of)

Also, I am not so sure about placing Earth within the borders of the Lor Republic (or at least very far into its borders). The FC Sourcebook talks about the Lor only learning of Earth when Daedalus traveled the stars. I would place Earth along the Lor/Grue border, perhaps just at the more recently expanded Lor border (which would also tie into things discussed about the Alien-Gator and the Jerreid Hegemony)

Here's the second attempt, with scale kept in mind more.

MilkyWayMap2_zps4adf4ff3.png?t=140993053

Legend:

Red: Grue Unity

Blue: Lor Republic

Green: Stellar Khanate

Brown: Contested space, unclaimed space, no-man's-land, etc.

White Dot: Sol System

Purple Dot: Star Knight Citadel

Light Blue Arrow: Pointing toward Galactic Core

I downsized the Khanate after some discussion in Chat, and re-placed Earth. 

This is also explicitly not the entire galaxy. This would probably be....Oh, a quarter to third of it? Again, this is all guesstimation and there's obviously loads of room in space for them all to grow. This is as much about relative positions as it is absolute territory. The Contested Space is left intentionally large to represent lots of brush conflicts or systems no one wants. 

Between that and the rest of the galaxy, loads of places for pirate havens and run-down space stations, plus other mysterious empires. 

Yeah, I'm more in favor of less total claimed area across the Milky Way, which will allow us to do frontier things and have something dark and sinister from the unknown "here be space dragons" sectors of space arise on occasion. I do like the idea that, nominally, Earth (Terra) is in the Lor Republic, but viewed more akin to frontier/aboriginals/nature preserve sort of way. There may even be a law on the books going way back to before the founding of the Republic which mandates that this section of space remain undeveloped.

Nobody knows why that is, and movements to change that law usually get defeated for various reasons.

So, putting him out there, but my boy >Daniel Lee here will be in need of a crew to join. I'm still working out his details, but he will be a good electrician, with an emphasis in power systems. So if a ship needs an engineer or an extra engineer, he might fit. I'm probably going to wait and see how many overall space characters we get and how the teams (or "teams") shake up before making any final-ish decisions, though.

• 2 weeks later...

PC Name: Seika

Player: GooseInduced

Origin: Kahi'iru

Archetype: Archer/Sniper

Mode of Travel: None really.

Typical Haunts: Lor Space, Space Station Primus

Has history with Starshot.

Mostly a bow for hire but only takes jobs on the up and up. She won't hesitate to help if a situation just goes bad though. Her main objective is to travel as much of the galaxy as she can.

Edited by GooseInduced

I'm working on a character called Melody that's the only survivor from a kingdom wiped away by unidentified aliens. She still doesn't know it, though, and travels the galaxy aboard a battered spaceship, Firefly style.

She has no powers, just skills and a couple of handy devices.

Prime would be a great base of operations for her,.

Edited by souffle_girl

Souffle_Girl, important question: does the character's nature depend on them being the unknowing last of their kind? Because with the Traveller, Paradigm/Elite, Memorial, and now Melody, that is a LOT of last surviviors of vanished cultures.

Not saying you cannot do that, but is it necessary? Gizmo's treatise on character overlap might help spark some ideas.

It's not like we have the excuse of decades of continuity(though we will in 13 years) and endless turnovers of pulp adventure stories churned out by disparate writers with relatively little communication. This is a whole bunch of people all at once.

Hm. I was going to recommend that maybe Melody is in a John Crichton situation; maybe she's been thrown across the galaxy by some Event that no one understands and is trying to live her life and do good while looking for a way home. But if revenging her people is that central to her concept, maybe something else would be a better idea.

You could always switch 'avenger' to 'champion'. Why do her people have to be lost?

That's the idea I backed up to. She did go missing as an infant, but her people, even crippled, survived. When she makes her way home she finds out she's a noblewoman, or even royalty... Mel, a space adventurer bordering on the outlaw! Thankfully, she was thought dead, so no one really expects much. However she still wants to see those that killed her real parents punished, and her family can't let her disgrace them...

(Too much Doctor Who lately... Gallifrey falls no more and all that...)

Well Ari, regarding the Praetorians (Traveler, Paradigm, Elite and others coming), describing them as "last survivors" is probably not very accurate.

For one thing, there are several of them, so, they are not alone or "last."

Also, while the space empire they once served and protected is gone, most of them came from planets/races that likely still exist (even if they have changed over time).  Traveler for instance is from Earth.

As that subject has now been delved into in Chat, I agree. They're more representatives of a now-gone civilization than a dead race.

horngeek, souffle_girl, I have an idea: Thevshi mentioned that the original concept sounded quite a bit like Memorial, what with the avenger of a world devastated by extraterrestrial evil and destined to find a trove of incredible knowledge. Why not embrace that? Both even were lost in sleep for a long time, so the time problem solves itself.

Would it be palatable for Melody to be a civic counterpart to Memorial's military-style augmentation, created as a "backup" in the event of Kyla's failure to properly bond?

Rabia in this case would be a part of the Belran interstellar network, yet needn't be all that changed(the Belran likely lacking the Lor's early imperialist bent), and the Princess Tasha being chosen is hardly extraordinary("This artefact of calculation and divination says she's the best choice." "In the name of science, okay."). Obviously she'd have very different alterations, but both would have equal right to the store of knowledge left behind.

That singular 'store' would be pretty important, because otherwise we have two masses of incredible learning and mystery. It makes sense to have more than one, certainly, but it's like world-destroying monsters: rarity increases value. And it allows for a rather nice bit of drama, since of course neither Memorial or Melody would have any reason to want to miss out on this irreplaceable, impossible-to-recreate piece of both their histories.

How does that sound to you two?

Edited by Arichamus
  • 3 weeks later...