Power Level: 6

Characters Name: Lola Talbot

Alternate Identity: Obsidian Butterfly

Height: 5’ 1â€Â

Weight: 106

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Description:

Personality: Distanced and quiet, the girl often sits by herself and avoids interacting with others. When approached she gives cold stares until left alone again, and if forced to speak its often curt and to the point.

Physical: At 5’ 1†Lola is very short. Her parents were both of Chilean descent and the dark skin, dark eyes and dark hair have rubbed off on their child. Lola has straight, long black hair and dusky skin. Her eyes are a plain brown. Lola dresses in subdued, boring clothing: lots of jeans and monochrome t-shirts. She does this hoping to fade into the background and be ignored by others. She has taken to wearing large, heavy coats to cover her gauntlet.

History:

News 5 Report

April 4th News Channel 5: *Television switches on* This is Jane Farson reporting from the scene of a horrible fire in a small suburban region of Freedom City. It looks as if some type of explosion rocked the house, killing the two parents inside and leaving an orphaned child. *Camera moves to a police officer standing nearby* “Officer Jackson, Can you tell us what is going on? What happened here? Was it a terrorist?†

“Sorry Ma’am. All I can say is that it’s STAR’s problem now.â€Â

*Camera swivels back to the reporter, standing by self. Fire being attacked by fire fighters in the rear* “You heard it here, folks. STAR will be on the scene shortly. This means it is a super-powered attack on our city! What new villain could this be?†*Channel is changed to a Bugs Bunny cartoon*
Excerpt from Psychological Examination
“…causing her to retreat into an emotionally regulated state. Makes reference to ‘feeling numb’ and ‘empty.’ Possibly future problem without weekly counseling could stem from emotional detachment. Best described as a protective state to avoid connecting on an emotional level. She seems to avoid social contact although appears to do well as long as not directly confronted. Suggested counseling be coupled with careful observation to avoid development into sociopathic tendencies. Perhaps…â€Â
Excerpt from Journal found after the fire
“…isn’t that strange? Then she said something about it being destiny or some such. It was pretty though so I decided to take it, I mean, why pass down free jewelry? It’s not exactly my taste though…too ‘goth’ with all the rings and chains. Maybe I can take it apart later and figure out how it makes the stones glow. Maybe it’s a…*section too burnt to make out* Can’t find where the batteries are. Must be old. I can’t wait to show it to Alison, she’ll be so freaked out!â€Â
Excerpt from Notes taken by Duncan Summer during first meeting
“The bracelet does not appear to work for anyone but Miss Talbot. She was very withdrawn during the meeting. I hope that we can draw her out and teach her how to use her new powers. I must send someone to investigate this antique shop she obtained it from...â€Â
From the Log of Private Detective Mezzini
4:01 p.m. Headed out along street given

4:30 p.m. Have walked down street three times, no sign of an antique store 

run by a 'Miss Tezzi.'

5:00 p.m. Local store owners do not seem to recognize name of 'Miss Tezzi.'

5:15 p.m. Entered abandoned storefront between a grocer and video store. 

Grocer: "Been closed since we moved in, ten years ago."

Video Clerk: "Dunno man, want a joint?" *Note; contact police*

5:30 p.m. Abandoned storefront has several thick inches of dust, unable to 

estimate how long it has been abandoned

6:00 p.m. After thorough search found old scroll case beneath many layers of 

beer cans

6:15 p.m. Unidentified language; returned item to client. Case closed.
From an Jeweler’s Appraisal of the bracelet
“…perhaps of Aztec design. The chains appear to be made out of silver. Each ring is detailed with a different set of symbols and decoration. Flames, flowers, butterflies, stars, and hearts are marked on each ring, however, the overall pattern is ancient. Each ring bears a small emerald. The bracelet itself is detailed with a large emerald and several gold details. An Aztec pattern of zig zags and spots adorns the top. The underneath also appears to be detailed, however, with a more jagged and violent appearance.â€Â

Stats: (6 points)

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 13 (+1)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 13 (+1)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: (10 points)

Base Attack: +0 (0 points), +6 Device

Defense: +5 (10 points)

Initiative: +1

Total Defense: 17 (+5 BD, +2 DF)

Saves: (17 points)

Toughness: +6 (Protection 6)

Fortitude: +5 (5 points)

Reflex: +7 (6 points +1 Dex)

Will: +7 (6 points + 1 Wis)

Skills: (3 points) (12 skill points)

Acrobatics +7 (6 ranks, +1 dex)

Computers +2 (2 ranks)

Concentration +5 (4 ranks, +1 Wis)

Feats: (1 points)

Dodge Focus 1 (1)

POWERS

*Note* All powers are from the Device: Armlet of the Butterfly Gods

Armlet of the Butterfly Gods Device: 13 {Divine} [65 DP] (4 PP/Rank + 6 PP = 58 PP)

PF: Indestructible (1);Restricted: Lola Only (2); Accurate 3

Goddess of Love Emotion Control [1pp/rank+3] Rank 6 (9 pts)

Flaw: Limited to Love (-1)

Power Feat: Mind Blank

Emotion Reading AP: Mind Reading (1pp/rank) Rank 6

Power of Love AP: Mind Control (1pp/rank) Rank 6 (6)

Flaw: Sense-Dependent: Must make eye contact (-1)

Goddess of Flowers Plant Control 6 (2pp/rank = 12+(8) (20)

Night Lily Toxin AP: Paralyze (2pp/rank) Rank 6 (12)

Rose Thorns AP: Blast (2pp/rank) 6 (12)

Rafflesia Scent AP: Nauseate (3pp/Rank-1) Rank 4 (11)

Extra: Range(+1)

Drawback: Only affects those with a sense of smell (-1)

Power Feat: Improved Range

Allergy AP: Stun 2pp/rank rank 6 (12)

Pollen Allergy AP: Stun 3pp/rank Rank 4 (12)

Extra: Range (+1)

Dehydration AP: Fatigue 2pp/rank Rank 6 (12)

Plant Perception AP:ESP (3pp/rank{All senses} ) Rank 4 (12)

Flaw: Medium: Plant(-1)

Plant Growth AP: Growth (2pp/rank) Rank 6 (12)

Extra: Affects Others, Duration: Permanent

Flaw: Limited: Plants only

Speak with Plants Comprehend (2pp/rank ) Rank 1 (2)

Divine Protection Protection 6 (6) [Magic]

Aromatherapy (3pp/rank) Healing 6 (18)

Extra: Area Cloud (+1), Selective attack (+1)

Flaw: Sense-Dependent: Smell(-1)

Bird Wings Flight 3 (5pp)

Drawback: Power Loss (Must move wings)

Immortality Immunity 3 (1pp/rank = aging, poison, starvation & thirst) (3 pts)

Obsidian Butterfly Corruption Morph (1pp/rank=Transform into Obsidian Butterfly)(2)

Power Feat: Metamorph

Metamorph Form: Itzpapalotl; Obsidian Butterfly

Abilities, Saves, Combat, Feat: Same as Normal form

Skills: (12)

Knowledge (History) +4 (4 ranks)

Knowledge (Physical Science) +4 (4 ranks)

Concentration +5 (4ranks, +1 Wis)

Device 13 {58pp} (65)

Power Feat: Indestrictible (1); Restricted (2) Lola only; Accurate 3 (+6)

Divine Protection Protection Rank 6 (6)

Immortality Immunity (1pp/rank aging, poison, heat) Rank 3 (3)

Xochiquetzal Corruption Morph 1 (2)

PF: Metamorph (Xochiquetzal)

Butterfly Wings Flight 3 (5)

Drawback: Power Loss (Must move wings)

Goddess of Fire Fire Control Rank 6 (12+7=20)

Blinding Smoke AP: Obscure (3pp/rank{Visual}) Rank 4 (12)

Extra: Selective (+1)

20ft radius

Fireflash AP: Dazzle (2pp/rank Visual) Rank 6 (12)

Flame Burst AP: Blast (2pp/rank) Rank 6 (12)

Choking Smoke AP: Suffocate (4pp/rank) Rank 3 (12)

Extra: Ranged (+1), Area Burst (+1)

Heat Control AP: Thermal Control (3pp/rank {Extreme Heat}) Rank 4 (12)

Extra: Selective Attack (+1)

IgniteAP: Ignite (3pp/rank) Rank 4 (12)

Illusory Flames AP: Illusion Control (1pp/rank +5) Rank 6 (11)

Extra: Limited: Flame effects only

Goddess of Stars Probability Control Rank 6 (4pp/rank+ 6) (30)

Extra: Fortune (+1)

Flaw: Limited to Fortune (-1)

Gift of the Stars AP: Luck Control (5pp/rank+3) Rank 4 (23)

Powers: Bestow HP on others, spend HP on another character’s behalf, Negate useof HP, force a re-roll

Extra: Area Burst (+1), Selective Attack (+1)

Power Feat: Luck 3

Worm-Hole AP: Teleport (5pp/rank) Rank 4 (20)

Extra: Portal (+2); Accurate (+1)

Power Feat: Progression 3, Easy

Black Dwarf AP: Density (3pp/rank) Rank 6 (19)

{*Player Note*Target’s skin becomes pure black and slightly cold to the touch}

Extra: Affects Others (only) +0; Reflective (+2/3)

PF: Affects Insubstantial

Speed of Light AP: Time Control (7pp/rank) Rank 3 (24)

PF: Progression 3 (to affect more people)

Celestial Energy AP: Boost (4pp/rank) Rank 6 (24)

Affects all traits

Flaw: Others Only

Universal Scope AP: Confuse (4 pp/rank) Rank 6 (24)

{Player Note:With a swift grin, the true scope and size of the universe crushes down upon an area}

Extras: Area, Burst (+1), Selective Attack (+1), Action (+1,move)

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Emotion Control 6 16/Will Other

Thorn/Flame Blast 6 16/Toughness Bruise (Staged)

Nauseate;Fatigue,Dazzle 16/Fort Other

Suffocate 3 13/Fort Other

Illusion 6 16/Will Other

Confuse 6 16/Will Other

Drawbacks: Involuntary Transformation +5 (Common, irresistible)

Complications: Secret Identity (Villain persona), Violent Involuntary Personality (Obsidian Butterfly)

Costs: Abilities (06) + Combat (10) + Saves (17) + Skills (03) + Feats (01) + Powers (58) - Drawbacks (5) = 95

i_itzpa.jpgThis image is by Carolina Eade, a great artist. I love her work. But yea anyway, take this image from the waist up and that's what Obsidian Butterfly looks like after morphing.

All of the powers stem from the armlet including the AP blasts which is why the accurate is there.

I can switch out summon for something else ^^

EDIT: Replaced it with paralyze

The Nauseate was a mistype. magic was the descriptor before I re-arranged/modified how the character's powers were (now they're all divine)

Flaw: Sense-Dependent requires that targets can smell, right? I thought that's all it meant, is that wrong?

Well, I'm inclined to just add a Flaw "Limited: does not work on beings with no sense of smell/taste." This'd make it ineffective against most robots and basic undead... but those have Immunity (Fortitude effects) anyway, so they'd already be immune. So maybe it should just be a Drawback.

I decreased the rank to 4, made the scent a drawback and added enhanced range. now she can make you feel like puking from further away ;)

Btw, I know this is typically only for critiquing the power stuff, but once that's out of the way what do you think of the story/descriptions? What should I add/take away?

I'm still not sure Accurate can go on the Armlet like that: Accurate applies to one attack, not all the attack in a group.

As for the 'fluff' (which is equally important!), it's good, but could be fleshed out a tad bit more. There's nothing there indicating why she's a villain, or what role the jeweler or detective or Summers play in her story. While having it be jumbled and piecemeal like that may be accurately reflective of her own jumbled piecemeal mind (if that is indeed the case), this structure -- and the lack of any indication what she does with herself, how she spends her time, what her goals are, or how she fights/what role she'd play in a fight -- does make it difficult for potential Judges/GMs to actually do anything with or for her.

I intended for those bits to explain in a vague manner. But you're right, I don't really like it as well as the traditional method.

As for the accurate was done a la pg 145-146 in UP: A device's effects may have power feats of their own. These are associated with the effect and come out of the device pool of power points. The following feats apply to the device structure itself. Accurate is listed as one of those.

Hope that clears it up ^^ *goes to the drawing board on the character*

I think I'll keep those codified bits as what she recalls about the events, and that's it.

As for the accurate was done a la pg 145-146 in UP: A device's effects may have power feats of their own. These are associated with the effect and come out of the device pool of power points. The following feats apply to the device structure itself. Accurate is listed as one of those.

Barnum pointed this out to me, too. So, mea culpa!

Plant Growth AP: Growth (2pp/rank) Rank 6 (12)

Extra: Affects Others, Duration: Permanent

Flaw: Limited: Plants only

I think this should cost at least 3 PPs per rank. In this case, Permanent should be a +1 extra (or more). Basically you are shifting the the Duration from Sustained to Continuous to Permanent without incurring any flaw or drawback to yourself.

Aromatherapy (3pp/rank) Healing 6 (18)

Extra: Area Cloud (+1), Selective attack (+1)

Flaw: Sense-Dependent: Smell(-1)

Only powers that are Perception range can have the Sense-Dependent flaw. This might be worth a minor Power-Loss Drawback (doesn't work on creatures with no sense of smell).

For your metamorph form . . .

Skills: (12)

Knowledge (History) +4 (4 ranks)

Knowledge (Physical Science) +4 (4 ranks)

Concentration +5 (4ranks, +1 Wis)

Are these skills in addition to the 3 PPs of your main form or instead of them? It looks like "instead of," but I want to be sure.

Illusory Flames AP: Illusion Control (1pp/rank +5) Rank 6 (11)

Extra: Limited: Flame effects only

I'm not sure where the +5 is coming from. Did you buy progression that didn't get listed on your sheet?

Worm-Hole AP: Teleport (5pp/rank) Rank 4 (20)

Extra: Portal (+2); Accurate (+1)

Power Feat: Progression 3, Easy

Should be . . .

"Teleport (5pp/rank +4) Rank 4 (24)"

Black Dwarf AP: Density (3pp/rank) Rank 6 (19)

Extra: Affects Others (only) +0; Reflective (+2/3)

PF: Affects Insubstantial

Should be . . .

"Black Dwarf AP: Density (3pp/rank +3) Rank 6 (21)"

The Reflective costs 2 PPs (1 PP per 3 ranks) and the PF is 1 PP.

Celestial Energy AP: Boost (4pp/rank) Rank 6 (24)

Affects all traits

Flaw: Others Only

You probably already know this, but remember that around here Boost effects are capped by the recipient's PL +2.

Universal Scope AP: Confuse (4 pp/rank) Rank 6 (24)

{Player Note:With a swift grin, the true scope and size of the universe crushes down upon an area}

Extras: Area, Burst (+1), Selective Attack (+1), Action (+1,move)

So far we have not approved any attack action bought down below a Standard Action. I plan on sticking to that. Sorry.

Destiny

Do you believe in it? Does it still effect you if you don’t? This appears to be the case with poor Lola Talbot who had her world torn asunder by a conniving ghost. Lola was an athletic girl who loved outdoor sports and English. She was hoping to graduate high school and become an English teacher. None of those things will ever happen now.

She was walking home on her typical path when she passed an antique store that she did not remember. Normally these sorts of things would not interest her for Lola had no interest in anything old besides books. However, something drew her to its doors. She walked into the door and a little bell ringed above.

The room was filled with musty smelling furniture, boxes of random statues and a counter where an old woman sat on a rusty stool. The counter was glass and within was nothing but dust and a single object--a bracelet attached to four rings. Lola was drawn to the counter where she mumbled a hello to the woman before staring at the bracelet.

The ancestor merely smiled a grin filled with rotting teeth and let out a cackle. A conversation occurred where Lola mumbled answers and the woman told her many things. Looking back upon that day, Lola can’t recall why she went into that place or why she spoke to the woman or even anything that woman said besides one word which sticks out like a gold coin on the beach. “Destiny.â€Â

All she knows is that after that day everything changed. She went home to her parents and went upstairs to write in her journal. She inscribed the events of the day before coming to the antique store. She started to write about it and while she did the emeralds in the rings and bracelets began to glow. She attempted to figure out how they were glowing but couldn’t figure it out. After that, she blacked out.

The Police Station

Lola awoke hours later in the police station huddled beneath a blanket. She had no idea what had happened or how she had gotten there. When the girl was told how her parents had been killed, she broke. In that moment who Lola Talbot was and who she is altered forever.

Lola’s mind was shattered. Somehow, someway she had killed her parents. She withdrew into herself and was taken to a psychiatrist. On the way she grew a pair of wings out of her back, seemingly at random. Lola sat in the van and didn’t react at all to the bird wings laying across her back. The driver in the van swerved and nearly crashed before pulling over. By the time that happened the only evidence were tears in the girl’s shirt.

It was summed up to a happenstance and ignored. She was placed in the children’s ward until a firm diagnosis could be made and some headway made on drawing her out of her shell. Mysteriously a group of the wardens opened her cell and took her away from the ward. Two were found dead, having killed one another. The third was found with Lola outside a movie theatre. Neither were talking and the man was puking into a trash bin.

He could only say that he had looked into her eyes and felt an overpowering urge to follow anything she commanded him to do. She had gotten the three to take her away from the place but when they pulled over to get food everything started to go bad.

The other two snapped out of the mind control only to start arguing over which one of them was better suited to protect the girl. They seemed infatuated with love for her and wanted to protect her from any harm. As the argument escalated one pulled a baton and a fight ensued. Lola stood there and watched. She didn’t say a word and didn’t even notice as blood splashed on her shoes. The third man had driven away. While passing the movie theatre he had smelled something akin to week old meat. He pulled over and that’s when the police had caught up.

*Next up! Meeting with a jeweler, interview with Mister Summers and more powers!*

Critique on story?

Somehow I didn't manage to catch it ><

Will make the changes to it where they need to be done. Thanks for posting btw, I really have no idea how I missed that

EDIT: Would I be hated if I wanted to scrap her and try something different? :oops: I made a character that I'd like to replicate in another game