A possible return...?

Heritage

Greetings, all! Heritage here, bidding you good morrow and all that. I hope everyone is happy and healthy. Yesterday I popped into the chat more or less at random, just struck by the sudden urge to poke my head in and say hi and see how folk were doing. Everyone was very welcoming and it was nice to see everyone.

And then someone suggested I bring Grim back.

This is not something I'd given any serious thought for some time, but then a whole lot of ideas popped into my head. What if Grim returned after three years absence, alone with no ring on her finger, and quietly reopened Silberman's Books in the West End, which has been shuttered since her wedding there back in June 2011? I ran my ideas by Quote, who's pretty much retired from play-by-post gaming, and he was cool with it and gave me his blessing.

Would this be cool with everyone? I have no plans for having her rejoining the Interceptors, as I think the team has moved on fine without her, but she would presumably still be friendly with them. She would be based out of the bookstore, which is statted up as an HQ on her old sheet, and then she'd bascially be starting her superheroic career over from scratch. I would convert her Connected, Contacts and Well-Informed feats into skill points, both to reflect her disconnected status from the FC heroic 'scene' and to pay for some skills she picked up during her time away.

If this would be an issue for anyone in anyway, I'd be totally cool with it; I don't have a pressing need to bring Lynn back, but this concept does have me intrigued.

Edited by Heritage

I instead opted to use 2 pp to bump her Wisdom from 12 to 14, and then used the remaining pp to give her 4 skill points: Handle Animal 1, Pilot 2, Ride 1. These may offer a clue as to where Lynn's been ;)

Edited by Heritage

Can do. But before I do - I will mention that after you left (I think) there was a general moment of reflection on the site, and a lot of PCs brought themselves down to PL 12 or so. If you look at active players we only have a couple at PL 14/15, and a couple more at PL 13. The reason for this was a general feeling that PL 15 is cutting yourself out of a lot of threads and is a bit disorted out of the tone of the site. 

No pressure to do this. I bring this up because it has been a change since gangs of PL 15 walked the streets of FC when you left. There are some still, but few and far between. You may wish to consider. 

Yeah, this was just brought up in the chatroom. it would take a LOT of work to bring her back down, but it could be done. I will have to think about it.

EDIT: On reflection, I would be happy to do it, but I could really use some help with the downsizing!

Edited by Heritage

Grim has maxed out at 250 PP so you are more than welcome to rebuild Grim as PL 12 with 250 PP, which is what most (or at least a lot) of the PL 14/15s did. 

There is no need to rebuild her at all, of course. But I think it is fair to say a general concensus at the moment is that PL 12, or maybe 13 at a push, is the sweet spot before threads dry up, villains constrict and so on. 

I would post a PL 12, 250 PP draft rebuild in character building (with link to old sheet), and go from there. We are pretty good at getting things approved reasonably quickly these days (as opposed to the "when it happens" of old). 

Of course it need not even be PL 12. You could build at PL 13, 11, or even 10 (i suppose technically even PL 7 250 PP although it gets a bit weird at that point!). 

My personal recommendation after going to PL 13 is I would never go above PL 12 now. Even then, I find PL 10/11 much more fun to play around (and easier to get threads going). I am not sure if there was any metagaming in the past, but there is no sign of it now. You really will have an easier time at PL 8-12 than before when you had to be PL 14+ to get into teams!

Also: Check out my awesome Art of Complications thread! (shameless plug...)

I am probably looking at a ground up rebuild at Pl12 based on 250 pp; Shaen built an absolutely beautifully detailed character sheet that was largely wasted on me. The new build would be a bit simpler, and focus on what I actually used; also, I'm thing Grim has now shifted away from ripping people to shreds and is now more focused snares and ranged attacks.

I'll start working on it and stick it up in a Character Building thread when I think it's ready for review and such.

• 2 months later...