"Ultima Girl" (working title, PL 10-12)

Sacremas

It's cool that Hyperborea Lass takes after Suprema, but our naming policy tends away from specific, clear copies of licensed character names. As a replacement, I'd suggest something that emphasizes her isolation from her own kind, like Exile, or maybe her being a newcomer, like Aspira. Another blond flyer with powers like Superior, and a similar name, would be looked at a little askance in Freedom, where superheroic history has never forgotten the second World War or Der Ubermensch. Or, counterwise, that could be the whole point.

Also, you'll need to get this all into the site's format. You can find it in the Newbie Guide pretty easily.

As a final note, if you haven't already, look up Gizmo's manifesto on overlap between characters. Seeing as the Thulean will be coexisting with TiffanyKorta's Triaskosia, who has a similar power set, differentiating can make all the difference.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, as to our content, don't think you can't challenge us. Frankly, we're willing to explain our reasoning, and what we mean by PG-13. Hell, I'm British, we don't have PG-13, they had to explain it to me. But we don't want stripperiffic costumes, and that Skyrim costume is not functional as armour in any way, and is incredibly goddamn skimpy.

Actually I think that might be a good idea, would anyone be willing to explain what the PG-13 reasoning does entail and what's allowed and not to make sure I don't step over? PG-13 movies for example allows a lot of things specifically not allowed here (bad language, partial nudity, questionalble ethics), so clearly that's not the definition. Buffyverse might be a good pointer if Season 6 of BtVS was left out to a great degree (skinned men, questionable doings and plots).

All right. As a PG-13 site, we allow the following topics:

-Murder/death: In proportion and very rarely on the part of the PCs. We accept that, when dealing with supervillains, civilians may die or get targeted. But we usually like to keep it to one or a handful of murders per thread - none of this "to make things serious, let's make this bank-robbing C-list villain kill a bus full of kindergarteners"* stuff that drives how grim the scenario is. We are a site for heroes - the aim is averting such death more often than not. Likewise, as superheroes, we have a strong policy on not killing or maiming most bad guys; one of our players got a good deal of backlash for an attack that looked like it was designed to permanently deafen the Maestro, for one thing. But at the same time, we take the Wonder Woman view - sometimes, when enough is on the line, it's time to strike. Our heroes have killed Omega, for one thing. He may come back one day, but this was not a matter of "caught in a collapsing black hole, so sad" - they struck the killing blow, knowing what they were doing. On that note...

-Violence: We're okay with heroes getting bloodied and bruised. We're okay with dead bodies. Just try to avoid stuff like Geoff Johns' Arm-Chopping Fetish.

-Sex: We allow the discussion of it and the exploration of it, but in a very "fade to black" kind of sense. We have had threads about young PCs losing their virginity, and we've got PCs that cover the queer spectrum (we've got our Ls, our Gs, our Bs, and hopefully one day a T or two). At the same time, as mentioned above, we try not to be "cheesecakey" when it comes to superhero costumes - or, at the very least, we try to make sure there's some beefcake thrown in the mix. I'm sure there were a few instances where heroes have lost clothes as a result of superpowered barrages, but the response tends to be more "And what?" and less "Oh no now everyone can see my bum." And, of course, if it's featured on an episode of SVU, we try to avoid it. We're aware there's a scourge of "rape is Serious Business, ergo inclusion of rape = Being Serious" in genre fiction, which we are not fans of.

-Swearing: We're okay with it, but try to keep it sparing. The more mild epithets - "hell," "damn" - are cool, the mid-grade stuff - "bastard," "bitch" - can be used now and again, and anything that would get bleeped on basic television is out. Yes, we know NYPD Blue got away with saying the S-word, but we don't care. No S-word, no F-word, neither of the C-words, etc.

And, on a somewhat unrelated note... yes, we are that kind of PC, and we don't mean "player character." We're veterans of the comics medium, and thus are aware of a number of times when someone trying to strike a blow for minority representation fell flat on their ass. We're aware of when The Falcon, the first black superhero, was revealed to have been a pimp and gangster who was brainwashed into being Cap's potential sidekick by the Red Skull for the lulz. We're aware that nearly every Native American hero either has magical shamanic powers, or gets magical shamanic powers at some point in their career. We're aware that the first openly gay hero at DC, Extrano, was a nelly queen who was given HIV within two issues of his first appearance. We're aware that when Judd Winick retconned Ice into being Romani, he revealed that nearly her entire clan was made up of thieves and con men. We're not trying to make the Rainbow Coalition here, and we're not going to force you at gun point to make a character who's at least two types of minority, picked off of a Chinese menu of options. But we've seen all the feeble attempts at minority representation in the comics industry, and thus aim to do better.

If I may add a note on the whole death/murder thing: Omega most likely falls under what many of us colloquially and sarcastically refer to as "acceptable targets." Our heroes aren't generally allowed to kill other humans or similarly sapient beings. However, this setting is full of villains who either 1) aren't sapient beings, or 2) are literal manifestations of ideas like "evil" and "death." Those villains are "fair game." Either a case can be made for them not really being alive in the first place, they are part of a hive-mind, and/or they are beings of unnatural and eternal "pure evil." Examples include, but are not limited to:

• Robots
  • Undead (Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, etc.)
  • Demons/Devils
  • S.H.A.D.O.W. Clone Troopers*
  • Grue Drones*
  • Omegadrones*
*The setting books have stated more than once that these minions are specifically designed out-of-character to be near-mindless punching bags the PC heroes don't have to feel conflicted about beating up or killing.

Omega was less a "person" and more "a personification of Entropy," so he was probably considered fair game in this regard.

It is also worth noting that we shouldn't be contriving stories to create situations where are PC heroes are forced to kill the villain. Whatever you think about the ending of Man of Steel (I'm probably the only comic book fan who liked it), it just plain shouldn't happen here.

Edited by ShaenTheBrain

Okay, thanks a lot trollhumper and ShaenTheBrain, great examples overall and I have a much bettter concept of what's allowed and not. With that in mind I'm pretty sure I can steer through and avoid things that would be questionable. Killing Omega in particular reminded me of Superman's attempt to kill Darkseid on Justice League in particular, where he even within the context of that show considered him Fair Game for simply being a personification of evil, as well as Batman mortally wounding Darkseid with a gun in Final Crisis.

Incidentally, if I were to bring up the kung fu master, would a chinese american (third generation) living in a chinatown like district and practicing martial arts fall under the 'racial sterotype of native americans getting shamanistic powers' type?

I've worked some more on her, she's going to be a PL 7, and a girl, 19 year old, stat sheet and a pointer for appearance below, the image is of a character that appeared in comics but to be fair she appeared in that costume in a single issue and so it should fall under fair use. Let me know if this is not the case.

Golden Dragon

Katrina Wu

HOPE+PHOENIX+NEW+AVENGERS+25.jpg

PL 7 Martial Artist

Abilities: Str 14 (22), Dex 14 (22), Con 14 (22), Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14.

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+10), Concentration 8 (+10), Knowledge (Theology and Philsophy) 7 (+7), Language 1 (Chinese, Base English), Stealth 8 (+10).

Feats: Attack Specialization (Unarmed), Defensive Attack, Evasion, Luck 2, Ninja Run, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 2, Tough 3, Trance, Up the Walls.

Powers:

Chi 10 (10 point Array)

Base Power: Strike 4 (Extra Autofire, Power Feat Accurate, Mighty)

Alternate Power Boost Physical Abilities 8 (PF Slow Fade, Extra Action – Move, Total Fade, Flaw Distracting, Heroic, Personal; Drawback Noticable [yellow aura, makes Stealth impossible, -1])

Alternate Power: Healing 5 (Flaw Personal, Extra Action Standard)

Alternate Power: Leaping 6 (x100), and Speed 4 (100 MPH)

Alternate Power: Autofire on Unarmed Damage 6 (Pf Accurate).

Alternate Power: Ranged on Unarmed Damage 6 [PF Accurate 2, Drawback: Only available when using Boost]

Chi Sense 6 (Basic, Innate, Accurate, Radius)

Combat: Attack +4 (+8 Chi Blast or Unarmed), Grapple +10 (+14 with Boost), Damage +6 melee (Strike or with boost, Autofiret), +6 ranged (Chi Blast), Defense 19 (15 flat-footed), Initiative +6 (+10 with Boost), Knockback -2 (-4 with Boost)

Saves: Toughness +5 (+9 with Boost), Fortitude +6 (+10 with Boost), Reflex +8 (+12 with Boost), Will +8

[Abilities 20 + Skills 8 + Feats 15 + Powers 20 + Combat 26 + Saves 16 = 105 Points]

-Swearing: We're okay with it, but try to keep it sparing. The more mild epithets - "hell," "damn" - are cool, the mid-grade stuff - "bastard," "bitch" - can be used now and again, and anything that would get bleeped on basic television is out. Yes, we know NYPD Blue got away with saying the S-word, but we don't care. No S-word, no F-word, neither of the C-words, etc.

Using *****, *(&#($*&(*, or "and then he cussed a lot" is a great way to have someone swear a blue streak without typing it out outright (and is pretty in-genre). I have one character who knows like 6-7 languages, and at this point I just write "and then he swore in Latin" or "then he muttered a curse in Hebrew". Let imaginations run wild!

Incidentally, if I were to bring up the kung fu master, would a chinese american (third generation) living in a chinatown like district and practicing martial arts fall under the 'racial sterotype of native americans getting shamanistic powers' type?

Not a Ref here, but the Chinese-American part is obviously totes fine, and the martial arts in general is fine (Thunder King plays a Thai character who is an expert at Muay Thai fighting). Eyebrows might raise if it's Magic Kung Fu but that's all about the execution. The only thing that really makes me want a bit more info is the "living in a chinatown like district", as that's the only point it really maybe feels a bit on the cheesy side of "stereotypical", but it's not an absolute travesty.

Regarding "kung fu master", I would say the key is to research the martial art or martial arts you want them to know and build thematically for that. Keep in mind that "kung fu" is dozens to hundreds of styles and sub-styles. Most masters know maybe a handful of styles. 

Good advice KnightDisciple, thanks. The though was that she originally grew up in the neighbourhood, but then got a scholarship and went away on school, while she was away her [relative, undecided if uncle, father or brother] was killed by a triad-related gang member they may have been part of, she returned home and set to work 'cleaning up' around and lower the crime rate, but on her first outing she was badly beat up the more streetwise thugs she was after. She was rescued by an old man who turned out to be an ancient kung fu master hiding out from Doctor Sin's lackeys, he decided to teach her what she knew, and maybe a year later she debuted as the Golden Dragon, working to protect the common people against criminals, while continuining her teachings under the master. She's given up her scholarship and moved schools to FCU instead to be able to stay near home. That's the background I have in mind in brief.

Aha, thanks, what about Independent powers, same deal?

EDIT: also is that a firm rule, so I couldn't have an array that was just boosts, only one of which could be active at once, like Boost strength, boost physical abilities with flaws, boost all powers with even more flaws, only one can be active at once?

Edited by Sacremas

I suppose a case could be made for an array of boosts, providing they were boosting the same thing. Something like:

Boost (Strength) 10 [10 PP]

AP: Boost (Strength) 20 (Flaws: Tiring) [20 PP]

Buut do keep in mind that boost is one of things that is looked at very carefully. Especially if it is a broad boost like All powers or all traits, or it has slow fade in hours rather than seconds or minutes. I am not sure, but I think the only character we have with boost is Bloody Mess (link in my signature), which might give you an example of the kind of trade off we are looking for: He gets 24 PP of powers (rather deceptive in utility mind, as 12 PP of them are sort of mutually exclusive transport powers, so it is more like 16 PP of utility) for a 9 PP power. The drawback is it takes him a standard action to activate and only lasts a few minutes. Which is the kind of reasonable trade off goal post you are looking at. It is easy to get cheesy with boost!

EDIT: Also note that his powers are kinetic, active ones, like movement or strength. In other words, faced with a fight he hasnt prepared for, he either goes in at reduced power, or misses a round (which is rather critical). Something like boost for Mind Reading or ESP might be considered more carefully, as those are generally "utility" powers, where having to prepare for a round beforehand is rarely of consequence. In essence, it is hard to give absolute guidance on the rules, I'm just explaining the thoughts that go into this!

Sure, makes sense, what about a boost like the one I'm using if I were to make that a power of it's own (or an array of only boosts only usable one at a time)

Boost Physical Abilities 8 (PF Slow Fade, Extra Action – Move, Total Fade, Flaw Distracting, Heroic, Personal; Drawback Noticable [yellow aura, makes Stealth impossible, -1])

What you got there is a boost that lasts for 8 minutes, it takes a move action to activate and it fades entirely, however for those 8 minutes the character is unable to use her Dodge bonus to defense (otherwise she'd be over caps), and to activate the boost she needs to spend a hero point, and finally while the boost is active she changes unnatturally (I was thinking hair changes from black to glowing yellow, and a glowing aura), to such a degree that she can't use stealth or pretty much any kind of subtelty for those 8 minutes.

Hmm. Using the Magical Native American trope as a guide post...

There's nothing too wrong with an Asian character having kung fu. There's nothing wrong with magical kung fu. But, the recent talk of possibly casting an Asian-American as Iron Fist brought up a storytelling possibility - the idea of a naturalized Asian-American citizen alighting upon mystical martial arts through a source from the old country. That way, there's some interesting conflict in them getting in touch with a secretive part of their culture that they'd just dismissed as legend. Just don't frame it as an "inheritance" issue; one of the hinkier issues of the "skeptical son/daughter eventually adopts the magical practices associated with their culture" is that it carries this understated sentiment of, "Oh son/daughter, you were never fully a member of this minority until you adopted the superpowers stereotypically associated with it."

Sure, that was the idea, the Asian-American would have been able to learn the kung fu just as easily if she'd been Latino-American or Irish-American, a kung fu master to teach her just wouldn't be present in an area a poor Latino or Irish family would live. The Triads thing I don't consider a sterotype either, it's well known that for example the Mafia recruits mainly from the Italian etnic community for higher ranks, it's just how the world works, that's differnet from a sterotype. What would be a sterotype perhaps (not sure) is finding out that her family had long ties to the triads and were all criminals who'd escaped to America to get away for example.