GM Post

Since you've been approached, in secret, only a few months ago you’ve all been training to become the newest version of Claremont’s own super team the Next-Gen. The seven of you have been training to operate as both a full team and as two smaller teams imaginatively called Team-A and Team-B. And now both teams have been assigned their own mission.

Team-A

Riverside Park

13:20 Wednesday 2nd July 2014

Whilst Team-B seem to have been sent of what you assume is a wild adventure you’ve been assigned a much more mundane task. You’ve have been asked to investigate sporadic signals of alien origin that have been detected emanating from the park over the last couple of day. It could be nothing but things are still a little jittery after the events of last years, that even managed to affect Claremont itself...

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Miss Grue

Daphne had been enjoying the nice weather over the last couple of day by coming down to the park to enjoy the view, as well the quire pleasant hotdog that the a nearby vendor was selling. Taking a bench overlooking the bay Daphne took out a copy of War of the Worlds, they were studying it as part of her literature course, and began to read from where she left off. The moment where the evil aliens revealed themselves to the plucky humans.

She was engrossed in the tale, though still remembering to eat her hot dog, glad that such thing didn’t tend to happen too often these days.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Thaelia was humming along as she strolled through the park sidewalk.  She wasn't entirely sure what they were supposed to be on the lookout for.  Signals were sporadic.  And as far as she knew not the sort of thing one could see with her eyes.  The most dangerous things at the park had been the buns filled with some sort of mysterious meat.  The other group was tasked with excitement, they were tasked with leisure.  

It would be almost insulting if not for the fact that it was such a pleasant day. The smell of water lingered in the air, and the view of the bay was ever pleasing.  The atlantean royal's blue sun dress was carried by a gentle breeze every so often.  Although, as per usual she had made sure to attach scaled golden armor to the pieces of the material taking away some area of inconspicuous.  Not that she helped it any further with an occasional skip in her step that alerted to the fact that she was walking around barefoot.

A subtle investigator she was not.  There was a beeping from the hand held wand shaped device she was carrying.  Waving it around excitedly before it settled on the direction of the girl on the park bench  "Adventure!"

Edited by HG Morrison

Un-subtle as Glamazon's blue-and-gold costume might have been (though certainly adhering to the school's color scheme), it was still more subtle than the look sported by the fastest member of the team. 

At first he was a black-and-green blur zooming around the forest, a blur that seemed to fade in and out of sight seemingly at random as it followed seemingly random paths. 

When Thaelia suddenly stopped, the blur zoomed over, resolving into a half-visible form of a young man in a black bodysuit with glowing green highlights, complete with a head-concealing glossy black helmet. The aura of warped light around him faded as he put his hands on his hips and tilted his head to one side looking at the girl on the bench.

"Are you sure you didn't give that thing one too many whacks on the side, Glamazon? I mean...I'm not exactly sure she's what we came out here for."

"Bleh...." bemoaned Cho, rejoining up with the other, lamenting not being gifted at investigation. Not one bit at all. Especially when given so very little to work with. "I think I'm doing something wrong; people still roll their eyes at aliens even if they see someone fly before breakfast. I guess nobody believes in alien unless those aliens actually show up. Either that or people get jaded quickly. What am I doing wrong?!" Furious, Cho punched the air in front of her, causing a small draft in the process. Orange-red crackles danced around her arm and hand.

"This HAS to be punishment; I'm wasted on a job like this where I don't get to punch something!!"

"Um... aren't the Grue aliens, and they're shapeshifters, Thoughtspeed.  So, just looking innocent might not mean anything."

Stronghold waved her device around.  "Well, if it's all peaceful, that's good, right Cho?  I mean, superhero stuff is important, but... um, well, if things get resolved without fighting, isn't that better than fighting?"

After all, that way there was less chance of collateral damage, people getting hurt...

She looked at Cho.  "I don't think it's a punishment.  More a test?"

"If you ask me it's pretty lame a test! I'm telling you! I'd be much better off actually punching aliens! Or robots! Alien robots!" said Cho, undoubtably excited at the imaginary prospect of tearing apart a whole army of robotic monsters, preferably the bigger and weirder the better. With lasers. Cho had a thing for wanting to smash robots; all the fun of smashing and breaking things with usually none of the moral dillema. Not that she wanted violence badly, but robots had the very special bonus of letting people vent and fight without restraint.

"But no instead I'm stuck here, doing something I'm not really all that good at..."

GM Post

Freedom City being what it was few paid too much attention to a bunch of costumed heroes wandering around the park, though there was the subtle adding of distance and preparing of cell phones in case a fight broke out.

Meanwhile the device was giving more information about what they were looking for, but not much, it seemed that there was some alien technology around but it couldn’t tell if it was on land or in the water. For some reason it seemed to be giving confusing and contradictory information.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Miss Grue

Whilst Daphne was engrossed in her book she couldn’t help but notice that something was going on around her, the background hum of psychic chatter had an exciting air running through everyone. Looking up it wasn’t difficult to spot the heroes wandering around the park, she always found such things exciting even if she was on herself.

Leaning over the back of the bench she called out to the heroes in a friendly tone with a broad smile on her face.

“Hi there can I help you with anything? I’ve been in the park for quite a while.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

"Perhaps it needs another these whacks?"  Thaelia said in response to all the readings discussion.

Upon being questioned by the girl that had caused the puzzlement by her schoolmates, Thaelia smiled and nodded.  All the while the machine was still pointing in the girl's direction.  "Surely you can be of assistance.  Let me bestow upon thee a question.  Have you seen signs of alien activity in the area?  It is a secret to be kept from ears that may be prying!"  The fact that Thaelia practically shouted the last part of her statement and was openly addressing the subject was a bit at odds with the supposed secrecy she claimed to be aiming for.

Immediately after she turned to the other three and gave a thumbs up.  On the surface it was easy to interpret her course of action as some sort of naivete.  In reality the princess simply figured the quickest path was always the straightforward one.  If the girl was going to be such a cause of strife and bewilderment in regards to the machine, they may as well just ask her.  After all the readings were merely pointing in her direction, it didn't necessarily mean they had anything to do with her.  And if it did, well that just made things all the more exciting.  That was working on the assumption of giving the stranger trust, something Thaelia always had handily available.

"Okay, look." said Cho, appearing next to Thaelia in a few steps. "W-we're, um, looking for aliens but let's face it, there's absolutely nothing here so we're probably bothering you for nothing." She then turned to the Atlantean. "Come on, this whole thing is a dud. There are no aliens here. If there were, I'm pretty sure we would have spotted or seen something weird and I think the only weird thing around are people in spandex. Which mean us."

Cho gestured with her hand, as if saying 'let get out of here'. Clearly she didn't like this mission given to them by Claremont and considered it a waste of time.

Thoughtspeed didn't helmet-palm himself, but it was a near thing. Instead, he opted to zoom up, retract his helmet, and give the girl on the bench a wide, friendly smile.

"Right, sorry this is a bit awkward. We're working with some older heroes on a sort of combination scouting/training mission for us. Learning the ropes and all that."

100% truth with 0% mention of Claremont the school.

"The device my enthusiastic companion holds was detecting something over this way. Now, that doesn't mean you're an alien or anything. But I would like to ask if, before the last 5-10 minutes of your life right now, you've seen anything unusual over the past few days? Odd glows, weird metals or materials, people acting well outside the norm even for Freedom City? It's possible you simply moved through an area and picked up trace amounts of whatever that gizmo is picking up. If that's the case, said area is what we're really looking for. We can give you contact information in case it's determined there's anything even approaching a minor risk to your person and health, but if you're fine at the moment there shouldn't be an emergency-level need. I do apologize for the disturbance and potential worry our unplanned visit has potentially caused you."

His smiled widened a bit as he offered her his hand.

"You can call me Thoughtspeed, Miss...?"

Miss Grue

Whist Daphne talked to the hero she was also in communication with Mother Unit a Grue computer and companions from as long as she could remember. So use was she to this she did it without showing any outward signs.

I’m picking up a signal.

Well of course you do there looking for aliens, they may be looking for me.

“Please to meet you I’m Daphne Celeste. I’m afraid I’ve not seen anything remotely alien.†she wasn’t a good liar so she stuck to the truth as much as she could, she hadn’t actually seen any aliens.

No there another signal approaching, it getting close to this location.

I think we better warn these heroes.

I don’t think we have time.

GM Post

For the last few moments the device you’ve been carrying has been making increasingly more urgent sounds. Finally it seems that it can pinpoint the location of the signal it’s been tracking, it seems that it coming from the bay itself.

From the location there’s a faint bubbling of water before from the depth burst out a sleek silvery form, shining in the bright summer sun. It seemed to zip across the water as if it was land. It was followed by two more figures less agile and more substantial they floated toward the land showing the highly stylized humanoid figures.

The final figure was more impressive and at about 15 foot it attracted everyone attention, it strode purposely toward the coast until it, and it’s other allies were only a few feet from the heroes. It then leveled a massive blaster weapon that took up most of it’s left arm toward Daphne before saying in a booming voice

“You are in violation of Intergalactic treaty surrender yourself so you may be properly disposed of.†it spoke first Intergalac before repeating it in English.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Stronghold turned her head towards the silvery figures, before walking between them and Daphne, looking at them.  "No one's 'disposing' of anyone.  If you've got a problem with her, tell us why, but you are not killing anyone."

Inwardly, she was wondering if she might be punching over her weight class, but... as far as she could tell, that girl was innocent.  Certainly, she wasn't a threat.  "Especially since this isn't actually your world.  So... what's she actually done that has you so riled up?"

Upon seeing the giant robot emerge, Cho froze in place and remained silent as she recall what she had said not too long ago. As it turns out, it had apparently come true now as they were faced with a giant (alien) robot. "Damn, me and my big mouth." Sure, Cho had fought robots before, but nothing of that size yet!

"Allright, tin can! First you're going to have to explain your intergalactic laws before any of us actually do anything beside tear you apart!" She shouted.

GM Post

The bigger unit seemed to be in command for now and issued a response to the question.

“This humanoid has in it’s possession illegal alien technology, possibly Grue in nature, in violation to interstellar law. Said humanoid may even be Grue and will be tested and if discovered they will be disposed off along with said technologies.â€

It kept it’s massive blaster leveled at the woman who was looking up at the robot without any sign of fear, which wasn’t what you’d expect from a normal person threatened by a gigantic robot.

Miss Grue

I have searched my databank’s and I think I’ve discovered the identity of these robot’s, you not going to like it.

It’s pointing a massive blaster at my head, there not much more it can do upset me more.

A few seconds later the assembled group of hero heard a voice in there head.

Hi there I’m Daphne, you know the girl with the giant blaster pointed at her head, and I have a confession to make. Even as a disembodied voice she sounded a little guilty. I am alien and a Grue but I’m one of you, one of the good guy’s. You might have hear of me they call me Miss Grue.

The robot standing here are an experiment in law enforcement but the Lor, they called them Enforcers. They were quickly discontinued but these units must have been missed. Problem is they were a little too strict in their methods, I’m talking full ED209 here...

Thaelia recognized the name well enough.  She didn't have any clue as to what ED209.  Robocop wasn't exactly a regular feature underwater.  The atlantean had an even smaller understanding on the intricacies of the machinery.  The fact that she was of Grue origin was of very little concern to the Glamazon.  It is not as if she is a Deep One. Aiding a warrior of justice is the honourable action.

"Stay thy hand accursed beast of accursed circuitry.  The Lor have no claim in this domain."  Thaelia looked up at the massive machine and stepped forward.  "Leave the planet of your own recognizance.  Or the Daughter of the Seas shall present you with that most righteous gift of battle.  If thy wish is truly to enact an edict of justice.  Send ambassadors of peace not war.  Grue or not, we shall deal with her infractions against your laws."  She glared not at all concerned by the massive frame before her.

Turning to give Daphne a thumbs up at the end of her warning to the Enforcer.

And then Thoughtspeed stood beside the others, a pair of swords blazing in his hands, motes of green energy still drifting to the ground in his wake from his sudden movement.

"You're not disposing of anyone you outdated tin can. Back down before you cook up an interstellar incident!"

He seemed ready to attack the overzealous robot and assist his fellows.

• 2 weeks later...

"Stand.  Down."

Stronghold glares at the robots.  "We know what she is, and you know what?  We don't care.  She's done nothing to hurt Earth."

Well, the heroine was pretty sure she hadn't done anything.  If she had, she wouldn't just admit to being a Grue, right?

Right.  These robots, on the other hand...

"You've come here, without permission, and you're threatening to kill someone based just on what they are.  Nothing they've done, just what they are.  And none of us are going to let you just do that.

So stand down now."

She was probably quoting something, or at least altering it to suit her purposes.  Eh, if it works.  Now, if only she could remember what she might be quoting...

• 4 weeks later...

“Urm thanks I guess that'd help a little.†as she spoke she shifted to her Grue form, though unusually for their kind she still kept her hair.

The giant robot focused his attention and giant weapon on Miss Grue it weapon pointed at her back.

“You cooperation in this matter had been noted humanoid. Now if you could step away from the prisoner we will arrest the alien. Do not resist or there will be trouble!â€

The robot’s all began to move to begin their "arrest".

• 3 weeks later...

Stronghold's reaction was quite simple.  As the robots moved forwards, the Orange Ring shone.  

Orange bands, reinforcing themselves, started to form around the giant robot- before it managed to slip out of the bonds.  Still, her point was made.  "Not happening.  You are not welcome here.  She is.  Stand down."

Well, that did it.  Hopefully, she hadn't just started an interstellar incident.  Or an invasion.  But then again, she probably wouldn't have backed down from protecting someone even if she knew it would escalate.  That just wasn't her.  

It would've been nice if that bind had worked, though.  

• 2 weeks later...

The robot nearest Stronghold turned it head in a slightly unnerving fashion   and  fixed  it’s attention on he totally.

“Interfering in an arrest is also an offense any that do will also be detained as criminals.â€

The robot drifted towards Stronghold and it’s arm raised towards her, as it got close it only appeared to tap the hero on the chest. The effect was rather more impressive with Kalea being sent flying back an impressive distance from the other, scattering the crowds that had gather at what they thought was a safe distance.

There was a black blur across the ground, with twin trails of green motes of energy, before for a couple of seconds, Thoughtspeed was standing in front of the robot that almost looked like it was made of quicksilver. His own hands held blazing swords of energy.

"You tin cans can just stuff it and go back home!"

The swords blur in a complicated pattern...that is perhaps too complicated, as it doesn't really seem to hit home at all. Still, it's not an overly large risk, as he quickly moves in that same blurring speed to end up not too far from where he was. There he crouched, ready for the next twist in the fight.