[Question] Using Gather Information

Shadowboxer

I'll be picking up the Gather Information skill for my character in the near future. I'm a little confused as to how it works. If a character wants to find someone or uncover information, does the player just roll a check or two then presto! the information appears? Or does the entire process have to be role-played? In other words, is the skill used "on-panel" or "off-panel?"

Role-playing the search would be fun but could be kind of long, too.

I've always seen it done largely off-panel: player says they want to make a Gather Info roll, Judge tells them hoe long it'll take (and cost), and if the player still wants to go through with it he rolls. Judge briefly describes who & where the PC got the info from, but focuses on the information itself.

I think on-panel would be ideal, but probably not required in every case. And you would probably be wise to think of ways to fast-forward through the info discovery part of the story, or you are correct; it could take a long time. :)

If the information in question is heavily protected I can see a scene being role-played to acquire it. Or, if it only needs one check or it's very easy to get then perhaps role-playing a short scene would be fun. Maybe a montage? Have the player role-play very short scenes that would resemble one panel in a comic book; for example, in The Killing Joke Batman interrogates many different people but the moment all occurs on one page.

I've always seen it done largely off-panel: player says they want to make a Gather Info roll, Judge tells them hoe long it'll take (and cost), and if the player still wants to go through with it he rolls. Judge briefly describes who & where the PC got the info from, but focuses on the information itself.

That was my hunch. No one in my F2F group took the skill and so I've never seen it used. For a fast-paced game I can imagine having the Gather Information scenes transpire off-panel would be economical.