Skaere had been distracted for a moment when the man stepped out. Her green eyes narrowed over her shoulder, teeth barred at the urge to turn around and face him made her hackles raise. Only not a moment later the tree next to her exploded with shrapnel, making the werewolf's pace stutter. It sent her anger boiling. Only then those arms and legs tightened around her, a face buried in her neck and a whimper sent a small shiver down her spine. It made up her mind in an instant and sent her pulse soaring.

How often does a predator go into flight mode?

She took off as fast as her strong legs could carry them, feet deftly maneuvering around brush and trees at a speed no human could hope to match. Not on foot. She just needed to get Vince to some people. Get him help. Then she would deal with Van Pelt back there. This whole situation was going to give her a fear of guns at this point. Especially ones that went off like a small bomb.

"You ok back there?" She panted. "Just a little farther. Gotta get you outta here."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Another Crack of a gun went off. Close, but not as close as the first. Leaves and bark shattered, and rained down on Skaere and Vince. From the sounds of it, whilst the Huntsman's gun was powerful, it had but one shot before a reload was needed. It was a curious antiquity, a slow power. 

"I'll survive!" shouted Vince back, his voice strung with fear. "Although I won't if I get shot! Or you get shot for that matter...I can barely stand!" he continued. He mumbled something about silver bullets before clinging onto Skaere all the tighter. 

Skaere was making good progress through the woods, leaping, sprinting, and even swinging on low hanging brances, when she heard a sound. 

Clippity clop clippity clop!

The Huntsman on his own could not match her speed. But maybe his horse could! By the sound of it, he had a true thoroughbred he was galloping through the forest as fast as she was...if not faster!

Skaere bit back a curse when more bits of tree rained down on them. She wasn’t looking forward to getting hit by that thing. Not that she was waiting for it to happen. No, she was going to get them as far out of dodge as she could.

At least, that was her plan until a familiar sound rang through the trees. She swallowed a curse, the beat of her matched the rhythm of hooves that chased after them. She could hear it, getting louder and louder as they both ran. As much as she hated to admit it, they were going to be caught. It wouldn’t take long before this… hunter got off another shot. So she had to do something.

Green eyes scanned through trees around them, searching frantically for anything that might provide cover. After swinging them over a large patch of brush, Charlie saw it. A fallen tree, propped up over what looks like a small hill. After scrambling over it she sees that it’s actually a small alcove formed by the ground and the tree. She takes it as good as any, getting as low as she can as her breath puffed at the dirt beneath her.  â€œVince? You still ok?â€

GM

"I'll survive" he replied, with a weak smile. "It's been a helluva week to be beaten up, huh? I mean, I know Gay-bashing is the flavour of the month, but this is ridiculous!" he japed. Whatever the crushing circumstance, Vince seemed to be a guy with a sense of absurd humour. 

The Huntsman arrived on his steed, looking around, his huge Elephant Gun on his shoulder, scanning the ground. 

"Gone? Impossible!" he said to himself, vexed. 

His eyes went to the tops of the trees. 

"Up there? Surely not? Even for so magnificent a beast!" he said, examining the nearby trees. 

Whatever else he was, his eyes were as sharp as a hawks and his skill in tracking beasts seemed virtually superhuman. His horse pawed at the ground, eager to run, but the Huntsman would have none of it. Surely it was only a matter of time before he spotted Vince and Skaere...

Skaere could hear the horse galloping closer. Those large hooves were pounding into the dirt, flattening the ground beneath it's massive weight. They were getting close. She had to think fast. How to get them out of here. How? What could she do? Vince couldn't defend himself and she just wasn't fast enou-

The though occurred to her in an instant. "Vince. I don't have time to explain but whatever happens, and it's gonna get weird, stay on my back ok? Just....just stay there? Promise?" Just them she heard the crunching of twigs nearby and Skaere flattened herself to the ground. She was down on all fours, mimicking the wolves with which she shares her nature. She could really only think to do one thing, she just hoped that it didn't freak Vince out too badly.

Skaere closed her eyes, breathing deep. Great furred shoulders rising and falling as she willed herself to be as calm as possible. She had to let herself just feel. To feel the ground beneath her, to smell the dirt and grass and leaves that tickled her nose. She reached deep within herself, pulling at the primal nature of the wolf.

It happened suddenly and made Skaere start. Her whole body shuddered and shivered, a great,  high-pitched and moaning whine escaping her throat as her bones began to shift. She hadn't expected the pain. The way it coursed through her like a shock of lightning as the change overtook her. Her limbs shortened, her body lengthened and a fluffy tail sprouted from the base of her spine. By the end of it she was whimpering, their position long since given away. Her shape had changed from a hybrid to a wolf, large and bushy. As her head cleared, she just hoped that Vince was still with her and that she hadn't made a huge mistake.

Edited by GooseInduced

GM

It was not hard to hear Skaere changing, and not hard to see it either. And the Huntsman had sharp ears and sharp eyes. He spun around to the terrible sounds, elephant gun in hand. 

Vince was too beaten up and scared to get much more scared. But the change gave it a damn good shot. 

"Sweet Dorothy...what the hell are you!" he said, mind determined to stay with his new friend. Hand clutching and root and plant to stay firm. Yet his feet scrabbling to get away, ordered by his spinal cord to run. The end was a kind of stationary dance and dirt flinging competition. 

The Huntsman paused for a moment, admiring his prey. 

"More feral than ever! Why, I shall get decades from this kill, I should wager! I thank you for your sacrifice!" he laughed, bringing the gun to bear, and firing...

Skaere was panting, mouth open, great breaths puffed at the dirt beneath her.she gave her Wolfy head a shake to clear it before craning her neck. She looked back at Vince with one green eye. Her gaze was clear, wild, but clear and Vince would know she was still with him too.

She heard the sound of the gun primed to fire and whipped her head around in time to feel the debris of the shot as it hit the dirt and sprayed it into her fur. A deep growl resonated in her throat. Skaere pushed them both up on her fours and stood as tall as she could. As she did so she took a deep breath and when her head came up she let out a loud howl. The sound was deep and manacing but rose in tone and volume. The sound echoed off the trees around them and scattered a few of the birds that still remained. It made no difference man or beast, the howl of the wolf was something to be feared.

GM

The sound was a sonic attack on ear and spirit. Whilst the horse could not stand it, and bolted into the woods, The Huntsman dropped his gun and clutched his ears, shaking his head until the long wail finished. 

"The howl of a beast! Of an apex predator! The howl of a hunter that knows not fear, nor foe, only flesh and blood and sweet marrow betwixt its jaws! Yes! I have had heard many such howls, but none so full of life and dread!" he said, reaching down to pick up his elephant gun. 

"I was born in the blood rich earth of Africa, beast. If you only knew quite how much you meant to me! Your life is so so precious...and I must have it! Nothing will deny me it, now I have felt its warmth!"

And with that he fired at Skaere once more...

• 2 weeks later...

Skaere looked down from her howl in time to see the horse whine and rear back, galloping off into the forest at the urge of it's natural instincts.

The hunter, however, had barely faltered. Clearly, his fight or flight instincts had chosen the former. Which wasn't ideal really. She had hoped he would turn away at least, give them time to get away.... but it wasn't meant to be. The hunter took aim again and Skaere could do little except make sure the shot hit her and not her charge. With a deafening crack the bullet hit her near the junction of her arm and chest. She yelped and whined, her legs nearly giving out from the force. Pushing them back to full height, the pressure on her shoulder sends white lights of pain behind her eyes. A shake of her wolfy head takes a moment to help focus her mind and looking up she can already see the hunter taking aim. Without the ability to speak she really only has one option. She growled at the hunter, baring her teeth. She looked back at Vince, motioning with her head, hoping that the man understood for him to get down, to run before the hunter fires again. The tell tale sound of grinding metal perked her ears as the hunter put pressure on the trigger....

GM

"Bullseye!" said the Huntsman in clipped tones as he shot Skaere. The blast was powerful, unquestionably, like an enormous shotgun. Impressive for such an antique. 

And then, the reason it was an antique became clear. As powerful as his musket elephant gun was, it carried but one shot. With a smile on his face, the Huntsman took another round out of his pocket, and flipped open the gun, breech loading it. 

"Impressive! Few beasts are still breathing after I shoot them. My gun only takes one shot, but then again, I usually only need one shot" he said, clipping the gun back together again. 

"If you did not bleed, I might even be scared. Something I have not felt in decades. But, I see like all beasts you do bleed. And magnificently so! What a beast you are! I am honoured to hunt you, my queen. Honoured, and Rejuvinated!" he declared, bringing the gun up once more. 

• 3 weeks later...

Green eyes glowed with an eerie light, irises contracting as Skaere bore those long fangs. She’d had enough running. Her instincts took over, any urge to run fleeing her body as her hackles stood on end. The great wolf hunched her shoulders, a loud growl tearing from her throat. She lunged at the hunter, crossing the gap between them in a few quick bounds.

A snap of her jaws had flesh gripped beneath her great fangs. She bit hard, realizing after only a moment that it was the hunter’s free arm in her grip. The man had probably raised it in defense just a moment before she reached him. No matter, she wouldn’t give up. She tore away from him, snarling in warning.

She had enough of a mind to know that the stunned expression on his face wouldn’t last. She would have to keep moving. Keep pecking at him. Use her advantages. Skaere went in for another attack almost without hesitation. She leapt on him, hoping to tackle the hunter to the ground.

GM

The Huntsman stepped a few paces, stern, as Skaere bit him. It was a hard bit, a cruel rending of flesh, unleashed from Skaere's full furious wolf form. He was bleeding, his linen beige hunting suit torn. 

"Not the first time I have been bitten" he said - to both himself and Skaere. But still, it stung. He grasped his arm reflexively, from shock, but his massive Elephant gun stayed in his grip. 

He turned as Skaere moved around, but turned slowly. Eyes alert, but body failing, his feet unbalanced and unsteady from her first blaze of tooth and claw. 

"I daresay it will wont be the last, either..." he said as Skaere pounced...

• 4 weeks later...

Skaere hjit with a force that the hunter was not prepared for. hitting his chest first with her paws and then the rest of her body. Her momentum and weight had been enough to knock him off balance, toppling the hunter over. The pair hit the ground hard enough to kick up a bit of dirt, the small cloud speckling the air for a few moments after they landed. Skaere managed to keep her weight on him, pinning him there with her long fanges bared. A snarl rumbled through her as she found herself face to face with her enemy. Glowing green eyes showed her anger. She was done messing around.

GM

The Huntsman struggled, writhing, twisting, turning. He was no stranger to rough and tumble, and was a strong man. But Skaere was stronger. As strong as any man, and a lot stronger than her prey. 

His excellent quality linen hunting suit scrunched and tore, a sad sight for any tailor. It felt splendid, and even smelled splendid to the canine nose of Skaere. 

"Strong little beast are you not? I say, a strong one. I have wrestles alligators and bears, and I dare say you have the strength and ferocity of either of them, or both together!" he grunted, as he strained valiantly and impotently against Skaers grip. 

Skaere could feel the hunter squirming beneath her, desperately trying to get free of her. She didn't sit still. She kept moving, shifting, made sure to keep him boxed in. She wouldn't let him. No. She had caught her prey and she wouldn't let him go. Her mind was too far gone to the beast. His flattery would get him nowhere. She was beyond that. She just wanted him to shut up. 

Baring her long fangs, Skaere's jaws opened wide and snapped at him, hoping to take a chunk out of his shoulder.

GM

The Huntsman's shoulder split asunder under Skaeres Jaws, tearing muscle and sinew. His linen suit was not only torn from fang, but stained with blood. 

"Aaargh!" he said through gritted teeth. "I have been bitten before, she-wolf! And no doubt bitten again! It...it just adds to the fury of the hunt..." he said, sagging in strength slightly as the teeth sank in. 

Perhaps, now, the realisation that he had bitten more than he could chew...the beginnings of doubt...crept into his so far fearless mind. 

"What will you do then? Tear me asunder? Let the soil and roots feed on my blood and marrow? or is that a feast that you will savour, you cannibal!" he challenged. 

• 3 weeks later...

Skaere snarled, growling around the flesh in her maw. The Hunter's words hit home, but not with the animal.

It was Charlie that his words reached.

The wolf released her grip on his shoulder, only to bring her paws to his throat. In that same moment she began to shift, her shoulder's broadened, her bones grew and shrank and repositioned themselves. The paw on his neck turned to a hand, one tipped in claws that pricked his skin as it gripped his throat. her other hand gripped tightly to his shirt and moments later the werewolf was hunched over his prone form.

The first sound she let out was not words, but a rageful snarl. One that echoed amongst the trees and rattled what remained of the wild life. "That is what you want isn't it? To be killed by your quarry. To find a beast so great that not even you can best and go down in your blaze of glory?" She practically spat in his face as she spoke, features contorted in anger as blood dripped down her chin and stained her teeth red.

Edited by GooseInduced

GM

"There is glory in the hunt, there is no doubt about it. Perhaps it has been forgotten in this new, so called civilised age" replied the huntsman, in pain and with a cold sweat, breathing laboured, full of adrenaline.

"And yet that is not the all of it. I was born over a hundred years ago, the greatest of the great white hunters. And I learned a black and wonderful secret. The ritual of the hunt. By taking the life of a powerful beast, rejuvenating my own!"

• 2 weeks later...

"So you kill other's to delay your own inevitable death?" Her grip on the Hunter tightened. She could kill him, could choke the life from him, But she didn't. If she did that, Skaere would be no better than he. Though she knew of no way to stop him. Not permanently. "I SHOULD DO THE SAME TO YOU! STOP YOU FROM KILLING ANYONE ELSE!"

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The Huntsman sagged in Skaeres grip. For all his skill, he was no match for the strength of the ferral heroine. 

"Maybe you should. I do not wish for death, but I would rather it came from a furious claw and bloody tooth than from the ignobilities of old age" he said, tinged with sadness but forged from honour. 

"Yes, if it must be so, then do it!" he commanded. "I have lived decades longer than any man should. My vitality wrought from every kill. Yes! Every time I kill a beast, I grow younger, I can feel it. And yet...I cannot hold off death forever. Over the years, I have had to kill wilder beasts, longer teeth, sharper claws, just to harvest the same reward. I must hunt for bolder and deadlier beasts to get the same fix. You,,,"

he paused for breath, still bleeding. 

"You would be a prize beyond compare. No lion or tiger could match you. If I shot your heart, stilled your breathing, I would have decades!" he gasped. 

Skaere's glowing green eyes narrowed, carefully surveying the sadness she saw within the hunter's. His words, his conviction, they both weighed heavy on her heart. She knew there would be no stopping this man. There would be no convincing him to stop, no reasoning with him. He was like a junkie. He felt no guilt or remorse for what he has done or the lives he has taken. Even now, with death looming over him, he could only see the glory her death would bring him. 

She shook her great furred head, ears falling flat against her head. It softened her snarl somehow, making her expression even more forlorn than the hunter's. "You have been consumed by this this ritual, hunter. Death, it seems, will be the only release from your madness.... I.... I am sorry."

Skaere reacted in an instant. There was no time to change her mind, no time to back out. It took only a moment for her teeth and claws to sink into flesh, only another for it to tear apart. Skaere pulled away as the hunter's life stained the grass and dirt a deep crimson, his insane hunt finally put to an end.

Beast. It's what he had called her. The word rang hollow in her head and in her heart. She looked down at her claws, at the red blood that dripped from them. She felt water burning in her eyes, making them sting.  But as he head feel back what escaped her wasn't tears. It was a howl, hollow and solemn and echoing among the trees.

GM

The Huntsman fell to the floor, lifeless and bloody, like a rag doll. It might have been the sunlight, streaming through the canopy of leaves, that did it. But one could almost imagine he was relieved. 

"Oh...my...GOD!" screamed Vince, white with fear and red with excitement. "You killed him! I mean, actually killed him! He's dead!" he said, shocked. 

He poked the corpse with his shoe. 

"I mean...he is dead, isn't he? I hope he is! Oh, but what a terrible thing to say!" he said, hugging himself anxiously. "But..he was shooting at us, right? He was going to kill you, and...well, I have had a hell of day!" he said, slumping to a tree, sliding down it, sitting down, dazed. 

"Is that it? No more being tortured by bikers or shot at by old men? I could do with a cocktail or seven" he said, hugging his knees. "You don't get days like this in publishing, I can tell you. Well, except when 'Rascal' Riley is on the prowl after too much cheese and wine..." he said, eyes wide with shock. 

• 2 weeks later...

Skaere stared blankly into the woods, unable to look down at what she had done. Vince's voice only made her flinch, though it was good to know that whereever he had hiding he was safe.

"Yes. He.... I..... you are safe."

She felt like she was going to be sick. Or cry. Probably both.

Skaere did not remember when she fell to her knees, only that she could feel the grass beneath her furred legs. She tried to stand. She learned forward, pushing herself up as she tried to balance on her feet. She immediatly went bad down, slumped over. She wasn't wounded, but she was drained. Physically. Mentally. "I didn't want to do that. I didn't. I-" She felt like her strength was slipping away, like she was on the verge of losing grip on her transformation as a sob shook her shoulders.

GM

"Hell, don't cry too many tears. That guy wasn't the sweetest" said Vince, who, overcome with relief, gave the wolf a hug. He was bloodied, bruised, and in pain, but the horrors seem to wash away from him with the relief he felt. 

"To be honest, rather him than me...oh...you...er...aren't feeling hungry are you? I mean...erm....perhaps you could change into, you know, a regular girl, or something, with less big teeth" he said, releasing her. He was joking. 

Mainly joking. 

"I mean, the least I can do is give you a slap up meals at Fat Billy's Sausagarium?" he offered, referring to a highly popular and cheap restaurant of sausagemeat and beer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Skaere froze, those green eyes wide in shock when Vince hugged her. After a moment of hesitation her arms came around him as well, careful of her claws as she hugged him back.

Vince's words made her laugh, her wolfy voice giving it a strange but not unpleasant distortion. She always was one to eat her feelings. "You are a strange one Vince. But in a good way. Though as good as that sounds, changing back would leave me wearing very little. Not naked, but not enough to warrant going out in public without drawing attention."

Saving him was definitely worth it. It was something that she would never forget, that would always weigh on her. She had killed a man. It was done for all the right reasons but still.

At this right Skaere might not have a choice. She was worn out. She couldn't just stroll through town like this. She would need to change back soon....