The Hole

Grimalkin takes a deep breath and nods to Nightrival. She leaves her back totally exposed as she claws away at the weakened wall section, trusting Nightrival to protect her.

"What are you hoping to find back here?" she yells out. "If it's electrical wires, I don't want to see if my claws protect me from shocks."

All of these deathtraps are taking a toll on her. You can only run on adrenaline for so long before it starts giving out on you, leaving you drained and shaky. She's slowing down, but thinks of how Nightrival isn't stopping, giving her the will to keep going.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nightrival's blades flew straight and true, like a silvery wave of stiletto death, and sheared through the first few rows of the encroaching ant bots like they were made of paper. The things came apart in showers of sparks, lighting the area in a kaleidoscopic display of shorting wires and discharging capacitors. Fully ten of the tiny machines were torn to shreds in a similar fashion before they closed with him, each clambering over the remains of their fellow units without a care that they could be next.

It wasn't just the floors that crawled anymore, either. To Nightrival's horror, the things were actually using the walls and ceiling to get at him. Since the ceiling was at head level with him, he was going to have spindly-legged machines in his face before he knew it. Unfortunately, he already had the needled limbs jabbing at him from all directions. There were simply too many to dodge, and Nightrival winced as he felt numerous puncture wounds open up on his legs.

Grimalkin, for her part, could only try and do her job the best she could, despite the sounds of shredding steel and clicking metallic limbs that threatened to drown out the noise of her own heart hammering in her chest. Her claws scrabbled at the edges of the wall hatch, trying to rip a big enough hole in it to fit through. In perhaps the first right thing that had gone right tonight, the thin metal tore easily under her supernaturally sharpened talons. With a few more passes, she'd have it open...

But not before the metallic ants crawling along the wall were upon her.

NightrivalHS.jpg

The metal insects crawl all over Nightrival and he can feel their needle-like legs dig deeply into his flesh. He twists his shoulders back and forth and pulls off as many of the robots he can before their mandibles tear him apart. He throws them on the floor with disgust. Withdrawing two escrima staves hidden in his gloves, he swats at the horde in a wide arc.

"Get us through that panel or we're gonna get ventilated," he shouts at Grim.

"I'm getting it, but what is it that I'm getting?" Grimalkin shouts, growing more agitated as she slashes at the panel. Her claws are nearly through as some of the metallic ants start crawling on her. She jumps a little involuntarily, knocking one of them off, but does her best to keep at her current task. She glances to Nightrival and sees all the ants coming. Grimalkin redoubles her efforts at that.

• 2 weeks later...

With that one last slash, Grimalkin sheared through the last layer of protection between them and escape. Unfortunately, with her attention riveted to the tasks at hand instead of defense, several of the mechanical ants moved into position to attack her. Seemingly in an instant, they were all over her, stinging her with their jabbing blades.

The same went for her mentor Nightrival, but having seen the swarm operate before, he managed to keep out of range, dancing about the jabbing blades like a mongoose.

It wouldn't stay that way for long, though, and the floors, ceilings and walls were rapidly filling up with the innumerable things. If they didn't find a way to stop up the swarm after they jumped through the hole Grimalkin had made, surely the things would simply follow after them. Perhaps at a reduced rate of speed, but relentless in their pursuit.

• 4 months later...

Seeing their exit, Nightrival grabs Grim and jumps out of the vent. The swarm follows closely behind them, dropping on the heroes' heads and crawling down the walls. Nightrival brandishes a handful of throwing knives and prepares to fend them off.

The robotic ants stop moving. They turn around and scuttle back into the vent.

He relaxes and examines their surroundings. They are standing in a large room in the shape of an octagon. Computer terminals sit against the concrete walls. The floor is a simple metallic mesh. On each terminal is a view of traps they just survived. There is one passage leading out of the room. A figure emerges from the passage, clapping his hands.

"Warden," mutters Nightrival.

The figure is wearing a padded black and red costume with a ghoulish mask that vaguely resembles a skull. A tonfa and a pistol hang from his utility belt.

"I'm impressed," says Warden. "Really, I am."

"I glad ya liked th' show. Now c'mere so's I can rearrange yer face."

"Don't you want to know how you rated against the other offenders? That's a good measure of rehabilitation."

"Whattaya mean, others?"

"Just small-timers. Underpowered vigilantes like you I lured here to test my new facilities. I have to keep my clients happy."

"I know what'll make me happy." Nightrival edges closer to Warden.

The villain removes a small box from his utility belt. "I wouldn't, if I were you." He presses a button on it. "I just activated the detenator to enough explosives to turn Greenbank into a crater. You either chase after me or defuse the bomb. Your choice, scum."

"Get to it Grim, I'll handle 'em."

Grim mock-salutes him. "You got it." She runs out of the room and Warden doesn't stop her.

"I figured you would help her," says Warden. "It seems you two are inseperable."

"We're fulla surprises."

"I don't like surprises. I least I get to take you down."

"Ya can try. Th' bomb was a lousy idea, by the way."

"It splits you two up. Did you think I wouldn't have a back-up plan? I always come prepared when I hunt down criminal scum like you."

Warden draws a tonfa from his belt and bolts towards Nightrival. He shifts behind the hero and pulls the tonfa across his throat. Nightrival twists his shoulders, slides out from under Warden's tonfa, and then backflips over Warden. Nightrival slams his palm into the back of Warden's skull, causing the villain's brain to rattle inside his skull. He wraps his other arm around Warden, who is surprised by the attack, and flings Warden across the room. The villain lands on the floor with a resounding whomp. Nighrival draws his escrima staves and lowers himself into a stance.

"Yer move, slick."

Warden picks himself up and twirls the tonfa in his hand.

"You'll pay for that, offender. That'll land you in solitary!"

The villain rushes Nightrival, but instead of striking with his tonfa he sweeps his leg under the hero. Nightrival jumps over Warden's leg and reponds with a wide swing across Warden's jaw. Warden's head seems to spin completely around as he soars across the room and bashes into the wall next to a computer terminal. Two bloody teeth fall out of Warden's mask as he drops to the ground.

Nightrival leaps into the air and drops his knee directly into Warden's solar plexus. The air rushes out of Warden's lungs as he groans loudly. Nightrival slides back.

"Ya had enough?" he asks. "It's time ya see th' inside o' a real jail cell."

Warden places his hand against the wall and drags himself back to his feet.

"When you are in my house, you will learn to live under my rules," he says snarling.

Warden presses a button on his mask and the lights inside the room turn off. Nightrival can't see anything. He steps towards the center of the room and carefully listens.

"Not so smug now, are you?" says Warden with a snicker. "In the absence of light, darkness pervails. Let's see if you can truly thrive in your familiar surroundings. My mask has nightvision googles. Does yours?"

Nightrival takes a moment to focus his hearing and then lunges forward, swinging the escrima staves under Warden's chin, but the villain blocks the strike. Warden retaliates with a vicious blow across Nightrival's temple. The hero instinctively ducks at the right moment and he is only glanced by the tonfa. Warden runs past Nightrival and stops at the other side of the room. He slides the tonfa under his belt and draws a pistol from out of a holster.

"This ends now. I sentence you to death!"

Nightrival follows Warden's footsteps. He cartwheels in the villain's direction and estimating where Warden should be standing, he lashes out with a roundhouse kick. His foot lands hard into Warden's chest and he grunts in pain. Warden staggers back, tumbles past Nightrival, jumps to his feet and squeezes the trigger. The pistol flashes in the dark with a bang and Nightrival feels something fast and sharp graze his shoulder. He grinds his teeth.

"This is what I can do in th' dark," growls Nightrival

He crouches, feints to the left, and then vanishes. Warden looks around the room but he can't spot the hero. He fires off a few rounds in random directions.

"Hiding won't save you. I will see justice tonight."

Nightrival has sneaked behind Warden.

He grabs Warden's wrist and twists it behind his back. Warden pulls his arm away and slashes the pistol grip across Nightrival's cheek with animalistic fury. The blow sends white hot stars into Nightrival's head, knocking out teeth and sending the hero reeling to the ground. Nightrival can't feel his arms and legs. The left side of his mask is torn and his mouth is filled with blood. Warden stands over Nightrival and levels his pistol at the fallen hero.

"How fitting, to be executed in the dark. You thought the night could conceal your crimes. I have proven that the light of justice will always find monsters like you. You have been sentenced, Nightrival. Case adjourned."

Warden shoots Nightrival in the chest. The hero shudders and doesn't move. Warden holsters the pistol and presses the button on his mask. The lights turn on. He turns and walks away. Grim appears at the door holding a wired device in her hand.

"Hey, boss! I got that bomb-thingy taken care of and - "

Both of them halt. Grim sees Nightrival lying on the floor.

"No!" she cries, dropping the bomb on the floor. "I'll . . . I'll . . ."

"Ah, yes. I almost forgot about you."

Warden draws his pistol and fires at Grim. The bullet clips her in the arm and she shrieks at the sudden pain. Her blood sprays against the wall. She stares at Warden.

"I won't let him die!"

She leaps over Warden and latches onto the ceiling with her elongated claws. She scambles over Warden's head and drops down beside Nightrival. She grips her wounded arm. Tears roll down her face.

Warden pivots on his feet and points the pistol at Grim.

"I admire your loyalty. Perhaps there is honour among your kind. I would hate to think that is true."

He pulls the trigger. Grim closes her eyes. Her form shimmers as the bullet passes through her. She opens her eyes and lifts her face. Warden cocks his head and steps closer.

"Interesting," he says. "I will have to design containment units for criminals with your particular abilities in the future. A pity you have to be executed."

She turns to Nightrival and places her hand on his chest.

"Come back," she whispers. "Please. We need you."

Her hand glows. Her eyes widen and she wants to pull away, but some sensation deep within her tells her to hold still. A warmth emanates from her hand and spreads into Nightrival. For a moment his body glows as well, then his eyes flick open. Grim slumps against the wall. Nightrival, realizing where he is, bolts back on his feet, though he sways when he stands. He looks down at Grim.

"I didn't know ya can do that."

"Neither did I," she replies wearily. "Now put this guy away."

"Ya got it, kiddo."

Warden shakes his pistol at Nightrival.

"I will not be denied justice!" he shouts.

Nightrival takes a deep breath and eases into a stance. He beckons Warden with his fingers.

Warden opens fire and Nightrival ducks. Nightrival rolls away from Grim and resumes his stance. Warden fires again and Nightrival tumbles forward with lightning speed, avoiding the bullet. Nightrival closes the distance and draws his escrima staves in one movement. He doesn't attack straight on; instead, he pivots on his back foot and backhands Warden with the staves. Warden sees it coming but he takes the blow just above his ear. The staves bounce off his mask.

Warden drops his pistol and draws the tonfa. He smashes it against Nightrival's throat. Nightrival grips where he was struck, stumbles backwards and falls down again. The escrima staves roll onto the ground. He can't catch a breath and the room rapidly spins around him.

"Die!" screams Warden.

He rushes to Nightrival and strikes him again. Only this time, Nightrival rolls with the tonfa and his forearms absorb the hit.

"Not tonight," replies Nightrival.

He jumps to his feet and feints to the right, and this time Warden follows the wrong fist. Nightrival clobbers Warden with a swift right hook. Warden's head wobbles and he is thrown back into a computer terminal that crumbles under his weight. Sparks erupt out of the terminal and shower the room with tiny red lights. Nightrival tumbles forward and delivers a spinning back kick to Warden's head. Warden's mask is torn off and blood spurts out of his mouth. Nightrival then drives a straight punch directly into Warden's nose, which knocks the villain's head back. Warden's face is smeared with blood and swollen with bruises. Nightrival grabs Warden by the collar and presses his face against his.

"This is what justice looks like."

Nightrival winds up his right fist and throws a haymaker into Warden's jaw. More teeth fly out of the villain's mouth, and he lifts off his feet and then collapses on the floor. The tonfa fumbles out of his hand.

Leaning against the smashed computer, Nightrival glances over at Grim. His partner is passed out.

Nightrival looks himself over. His costume is shredded. He has deep bruises on his cheek, eyes, forearms, knuckles, and throat. He was shot three times. He has second and third degree burns. And two of his teeth are missing. Every part of his being is screaming in agony.

"Jus' another day at th' office."

He picks up his teeth and staves. He then picks up Grim and carries her in his arms.

"C'mon, kiddo. I gotta call the cops. An' I could use a sandwich."

Nightrival steps over Warden and walks out of the room.