Various plots that have been sitting in the back of my mind.

So I was wracking my mind thinking up a few new thread ideas as I need the massive distraction.  For threads I want to run, or be involved with in some way.  And rather than set up a recruitment thread for each and every single one of them.  I figured, why not get em over with in one go like Supercape's kicker thread.  I put asterisks next to the threads that I believe that will require permission before pursuing, but if no interest cropped up in those plot hooks there'd be no thread in the first place.  And of course they're all open to suggestion.

Shark Week:  Terror Beneath
A scientific expedition off the coast of japan from what appears to be an undersea palace.  Unfortunately for them the palace was not abandoned.  Now their ship has been taken hostage by bipedal shark/human hybrids.  The creatures have held the ship hostage.  Threatening to kill the crew if their demands are not met.

So this has been sitting in the back of my mind for a while.  At first look it may look like a heroes show up and punch stuff type of deal.  There's more to the thread, but that's the opening.

What the Kraken Released*

Captain Kraken and his crew plan on capturing the Dakuwanga bioweapon.  Attacking an Atlantean outpost that had recently held the beast captive.  Unfortunately the space pirate was incapable of holding the Dakuwanga at bay.  And now it seeks to destroy every Atlantean it can get its hands on unless the heroes can put a stop the creature themselves while fending off Captain Kraken as well.

Sooo, permission will be fished (ha) for this one, especially as I will likely include the Sea King for its purposes.  But I don't even think I have to sell the reasoning behind this plot.  Aquatic Space Pirates vs Atlanteans vs Sea Monster.  C'mon now, it's like a bad Syfy movie which means filled with awesome and no substance.  Thread Has Started

Jury Duty*
Diagnosed with a terminal cancer the head foreman at a local construction company is willing to turn over evidence against the mob in preparation for his death.  However, a bounty has been placed on his head and the heroes will have to spend the night defending him from the Murder League who has taken a vested interest in the contract.

Alright this was originally an idea I tossed towards Thev for a thread she was going to GM.  Seeing as it wasn't used, I'm open to running such a story.  Pretty positive this is one that would require me asking for ref permission on account of the Murder League and the Freedom City Mob.
 Thread has Started

(Insert Character Name) Murderer!

A hero has been accused of murder in their civilian guise.  Witness testimony and detailed camera footage support the claim.  But he/she couldn't have done it.  They were off saving a number of people in need at the time.  A manhunt spreads through the city, with some heroes even going after his/her civilian identity.  Now they have to prove their innocence before they're put away for a crime they didn't commit.

A little bit of inspiration came from Bruce Wayne Murderer.  This thread concept actually had Sunset and the Revolutionary in mind.  But it can work with anyone.  Thread has Started

Gorilla Warfare
Intelligent four armed alien apes from another planet have come to earth seeking assistance.  Their planet has been conquered by invaders with their people forced to work as laborers.  The alien apes. seek assistance in saving their world.  Claiming the conquerors plan on targeting Earth next.  But can the heroes actually help the aliens in need?

Somehow what was originally a street gang war story between an ape gang and a saurian gang became this.  To say I was going for something silver agey would be putting it lightly.  But still, it should be fun.

First Contact
An uncontacted tribe living on an isolated island in the Indian Ocean has finally agreed to allow some members of the outside world enter their land.  The island has long had a history of aggressively deterring any visitors from their island by attacking on sight.  As such who better than the super powered to act as diplomats on this mysterious island?  And what will happen to them after the leader of the tribe is mysteriously murdered with evidence pointing to the heroes as the suspects?

Drama, intrigue, mystery, and a matriarchal society with a unique resource that has allowed them to fend off invaders for so long.  I actually had some fun with this concept.  Might not have sold the hook that well.  But that's what this thread is for ask away if you have any questions/suggestions.  Will only reveal so much so as to not give the entire plot away.
 Thread Has Started

A Little Friendly Competition* 
Headmistress Payne runs the New Freedom Academy for Exemplary Individuals (Or insert a better name than that seriously I've gone through at least five names).  Of course with New Freedom's propaganda machine, this militarized institution boasts itself as the best educational institution on the planet for teens with superpowers.  The institution has recently extended a 'friendly' challenge for a week long interschool competition with Claremont to prove such dominance.  Of course, they made sure to keep the home field advantage.

Some students will of course want to wear a mask to cover their identity.  But hey, I figured this would be fun.  Of course having a villain from a Hero High Supplement and adding an element to the setting such as a militarized Supers school in New Freedom it should go without saying that I will need permission before pursuing this thread idea.
 Thread Has Started

Heavy Decisions

Someone has `stolen an experimental high tech gravity suit.  Using this suit they are stealing from the rich and morally corrupt and giving back to the poor.  The heroes are tasked with bringing them in.  But the victims aren't about to wait for a cape to do the dirty work hiring out their own clean up crew to take the thief out.

Law and order come into conflict with the greater good.  The thief is helping those in need, but through criminal means. This Thread Has Started

Creature Feature

Movie night!  A couple of heroes catch the local horror movie marathon at a small local theatre.  They have the screen to themselves All goes well until the lights flash and the heroes are sucked into the screen.  Trapped inside of a mashup of all those horror movies they now have to find their way out.  If they can survive the night.

Inspired partially by the whole night of Draculas or whatever the proper name is of the specific issue from Steph's batgirl run.  Granted the only actual similarities to that story is heroes watching a movie.

Man vs Nature: Here Comes the Boom

A massive earthquake had recently occurred in a small island nation.  In a joint effort with UNISON the heroes seek to help the citizens in the aftermath of the wreckage.  Meanwhile looters and other morally questionable chaps seek to take advantage of the chaos.

It's a natural disaster.  Nature has left but the disaster continues.

Tales from the FCPD:  Dirty Money

Detective Archer has noticed a discrepancy in the amount of cash filed into evidence and the actual amount found at crime scenes involving the same select group of detectives.  Using a recording device she was able to set up a sting operation.  Unfortunately before the good detective was able to turn in the file the evidence was erased and she was gunned down and the dirty cops filed fake evidence into IA turning her into their scapegoat.  The detective is still alive, but she's on the run and needs help.

This is clearly my worst worded hook.  But essentially the heroes involved will be coming into conflict with the police.  Almost entirely made up of good minded people just doing their job as is their tone. So solving the problem with punches would likely not be in their best interest if they even believe the detective.  Thread Has Started

Edited by HG Morrison

This all looks very interesting, HG, good to see this post!

I had a vague idea for Lord Steam which ties into one or two of your ideas, so I will throw this past you - he is framed for murder and there is a warrant for his arrest. However, as his mansion is effectively an embassy, he can hide out there, at least until the politicians come to some agreement (i.e. to eject him to the care of Freedom Cities police). So essentially he has to solve the murder on the run. Pretty similar to the above, although with the added dimension of diplomatic immunity. 

EDIT: Also, sharks are cool. Feel free to use sharktopus NPC, I only wish I had a marine PC!

I'm going to start off with saying these are fantastic.

Then I'm basically going to post under each applicable idea the PCs of mine that I thought could fit in that idea.

What the Kraken Released*

Captain Kraken and his crew plan on capturing the Dakuwanga bioweapon.  Attacking an Atlantean outpost that had recently held the beast captive.  Unfortunately the space pirate was incapable of holding the Dakuwanga at bay.  And now it seeks to destroy every Atlantean it can get its hands on unless the heroes can put a stop the creature themselves while fending off Captain Kraken as well.

Sooo, permission will be fished (ha) for this one, especially as I will likely include the Sea King for its purposes.  But I don't even think I have to sell the reasoning behind this plot.  Aquatic Space Pirates vs Atlanteans vs Sea Monster.  C'mon now, it's like a bad Syfy movie which means filled with awesome and no substance.

Cobalt Templar could get all up in this.

Gabriel's got a spear, which is kind of like a harpoon, so maybe him, too. Plus, sound carries farther underwater! He'd need a rebreather, though.

Jury Duty*

Diagnosed with a terminal cancer the head foreman at a local construction company is willing to turn over evidence against the mob in preparation for his death.  However, a bounty has been placed on his head and the heroes will have to spend the night defending him from the Murder League who has taken a vested interest in the contract.

Alright this was originally an idea I tossed towards Thev for a thread she was going to GM.  Seeing as it wasn't used, I'm open to running such a story.  Pretty positive this is one that would require me asking for ref permission on account of the Murder League and the Freedom City Mob.

Depending on the level of Murder League forces, Nevermore could definitely be in on this. If the forces were more potent, maybe CT or Gabe. But Nevermore is the first one that comes to mind.

(Insert Character Name) Murderer!

A hero has been accused of murder in their civilian guise.  Witness testimony and detailed camera footage support the claim.  But he/she couldn't have done it.  They were off saving a number of people in need at the time.  A manhunt spreads through the city, with some heroes even going after his/her civilian identity.  Now they have to prove their innocence before they're put away for a crime they didn't commit.

A little bit of inspiration came from Bruce Wayne Murderer.  This thread concept actually had Sunset and the Revolutionary in mind.  But it can work with anyone.

"Carson Keefe, Murderer!" has a nice ring to it.

First Contact

An uncontacted tribe living on an isolated island in the Indian Ocean has finally agreed to allow some members of the outside world enter their land.  The island has long had a history of aggressively deterring any visitors from their island by attacking on sight.  As such who better than the super powered to act as diplomats on this mysterious island?  And what will happen to them after the leader of the tribe is mysteriously murdered with evidence pointing to the heroes as the suspects?

Drama, intrigue, mystery, and a matriarchal society with a unique resource that has allowed them to fend off invaders for so long.  I actually had some fun with this concept.  Might not have sold the hook that well.  But that's what this thread is for ask away if you have any questions/suggestions.  Will only reveal so much so as to not give the entire plot away.

Gabriel is all about diplomacy and dealing with people!

Headmistress Payne runs the New Freedom Academy for Exemplary Individuals (Or insert a better name than that seriously I've gone through at least five names).  Of course with New Freedom's propaganda machine, this militarized institution boasts itself as the best educational institution on the planet for teens with superpowers.  The institution has recently extended a 'friendly' challenge for a week long interschool competition with Claremont to prove such dominance.  Of course, they made sure to keep the home field advantage.

Some students will of course want to wear a mask to cover their identity.  But hey, I figured this would be fun.  Of course having a villain from a Hero High Supplement and adding an element to the setting such as a militarized Supers school in New Freedom it should go without saying that I will need permission before pursuing this thread idea.

Thoughtspeed would be all over a competition scenario.

Heavy Decisions

Someone has `stolen an experimental high tech gravity suit.  Using this suit they are stealing from the rich and morally corrupt and giving back to the poor.  The heroes are tasked with bringing them in.  But the victims aren't about to wait for a cape to do the dirty work hiring out their own clean up crew to take the thief out.

Law and order come into conflict with the greater good.  The thief is helping those in need, but through criminal means.

Hm. Nevermore Cobalt Templar, methinks.

Creature Feature

Movie night!  A couple of heroes catch the local horror movie marathon at a small local theatre.  They have the screen to themselves All goes well until the lights flash and the heroes are sucked into the screen.  Trapped inside of a mashup of all those horror movies they now have to find their way out.  If they can survive the night.

Inspired partially by the whole night of Draculas or whatever the proper name is of the specific issue from Steph's batgirl run.  Granted the only actual similarities to that story is heroes watching a movie.

Thoughtspeed or Cobalt Templar, I'd say.

Man vs Nature: Here Comes the Boom

A massive earthquake had recently occurred in a small island nation.  In a joint effort with UNISON the heroes seek to help the citizens in the aftermath of the wreckage.  Meanwhile looters and other morally questionable chaps seek to take advantage of the chaos.

It's a natural disaster.  Nature has left but the disaster continues.

Definitely Gabriel. He's got ties to UNISON, and it seems like a scenario he'd be pretty well suited to assisting in, seeing as he could be a mobile communications relay.

Tales from the FCPD:  Dirty Money

Detective Archer has noticed a discrepancy in the amount of cash filed into evidence and the actual amount found at crime scenes involving the same select group of detectives.  Using a recording device she was able to set up a sting operation.  Unfortunately before the good detective was able to turn in the file the evidence was erased and she was gunned down and the dirty cops filed fake evidence into IA turning her into their scapegoat.  The detective is still alive, but she's on the run and needs help.

This is clearly my worst worded hook.  But essentially the heroes involved will be coming into conflict with the police.  Almost entirely made up of good minded people just doing their job as is their tone. So solving the problem with punches would likely not be in their best interest if they even believe the detective.

Nevermore. Definitely Nevermore.

Definitely the only one I feel I could have a character participate, in this case Cho Paige Lee; if the team they send need some 'variety' in power set, Cho is definately amongst one of the powerhouses currently in Claremont. Plus the competition aspect is definately something she'd yap about and beg to be included...much like an overly yapping puppy.

Edited by RobRX

Lots of great ideas HGM!

So, a couple of my characters might work for some of these:

Shark Week: Terror Beneath Tsunami is a possible candidate (though she has reason to avoid Asia). Velocity maybe as well?

What the Kraken Released This certainly seems like something Tsunami could be involved in, as she has visited Atlantis before (and I recently picked up Atlantean as a language for her based on her having Glamazon as a roommate).

First Contact Velocity maybe, particularly if fellow Freedom League Gabe is involved.

Man vs Nature: Here Comes the Boom Again, sounds like something Velocity could help with. Tsunami possibly as well.

Wave-Eye is your one-triton stop for all faux-Namor needs! I'd love to involve him with Shark Week and Kraken Unleashed.

And El Heraldo would be useful in the Man vs. Nature one, thanks to his gift for understanding languages, healing people and making clothing damage mysteriously disappear.

So I'm glad for the initial interest.  Let me respond as they come

@SuperCape

That is an interesting idea.  My original idea would be related to the drama that comes from having the hero's secret identity accused.  And Lord Steam's public.  But the interdimensional political ramifications can also be rife with fun.  Especially if they sign off on a joint effort to bring him in while he tries to solve his own crime.  Having officers from both worlds come after him.  I'm certainly open to the possibility of going in that direction with it.  And I will gladly take you up on the using Sharktopus option

@KnightDisciple

Nevermore would certainly be a right fit for both Jury Duty and Dirty Money.  Cobalt Templar for Creature Feature works for me, Since he can go underwater without issue Shark Week as well (since there will also be a diving component I'm not entirely aware of how his powers are effected under.  I like the idea of Gabriel acting as a mission control of sorts for Man vs Nature, and definitely enjoy the idea of him and Velocity for First contact possibly with someone else.  Thoughtspeed for Friendly Competition it is, now he needs more teammates.  I was interested in the idea of Gabriel's teaching career at jeopardy due to this, with it of course being resolved when he's found innocent.  But, I also feel I might want to approach Cape's version with Lord Steam as he needs a bit more love.

@Rav

TnTeen wouldn't like to join the competition?

@Thev

Shark Week and What the Kraken are both in Tsunami's area since both take place both on land and beneath.  Now Man vs Nature will involve spreading the heroes out.  So I can easily cater checks to individuals.  So either/or of Velocity or Tsunami would work. As an aside I'd actually like to try and run Velocity handling a natural disaster situation by herself for that whole speedster with only so much time drama at some point.   And since I like the idea of two leaguers being involved in First Contact she's a perfect fit there.

@Rob

Welcome aboard.  Will still need more teammates than the two interested thus far.

@Ari

Wave-Eye can fit into both Shark Week and What the Kraken.  Since I stated I will cater the difficulty to the individuals.  El Heraldo is more than welcome in Man vs Nature.

I should probably include which if any of my characters I was considering getting in these threads.  I might not put them in those threads and just purely GM them like I'm doing with the others.  But, they were certainly in mind.

Glamazon in What the Kraken Released, Foreshadow in Jury Duty, and Argonaut in Dirty Money.  The rest

My new character Springpine could fit into your Creature Feature thread, but seeing as he's still fairly new to the superhero gig I don't think he'd have the recognition required to fit into your other threads.

It doesn't exactly work like that, Trild, if you want to participate just ask if you can.

Thanks Rob, let's see now...

Well, it's still a little hard to imagine him as an all out super hero (or functioning underwater for that matter XD)

But~ In light of this new info, I'd like to propose Springpine for Jury Duty and Heavy Decisions, as well. Perhaps...if you'll have me :) 

Edited by trildemex
  • 2 weeks later...

Jury Duty:

Sam has her connections in the criminal world. Nothing she's molded into anything useful, but it could get her roped into this. She's trained by the greatest thief in the world, and a woman of impeccable professional ethics within the confines of her career choice until that whole blowing up a building thing, so Sam has a good name by association. She could well have been requested as part of the force, much to the authorities' chagrin.

First Contact:

Interesting. That sounds like something I would have fun with Sam being involved in, but thinking up a reason for her to actually get picked to go is a bit more troublesome. Silvia doesn't really work, since she's not an earthling and having folks who do not identify as citizens of Earth sent as the rest of the planet's representatives is... weird.

A Little Friendly Competition:

Sam is the best at what she does. She is entirely willing to prove it.

Heavy Decisions:

Relevant to Sam's interests and values. She would, of course, fall on the side of the thief.

Creature Feature:

This is just fun and silly and Stormbreaker's nonplussed deadpan would fit well in it.

Here Comes the Boom:

Fits in with Stormbreaker's more charitable works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright.  So I'm thinking Creature Feature could be a Next Gen thread instead.  Or just a Claremont one in general.  So making that amendment to it.

About to put up Shark Week, and Man vs Nature.  So just about every one of the previous threads would have been started thus far.

Why am I posting then  Because, I have new ideas and hunger for your posting sustenance.  Some ideas are inspired by plot hooks from the Atlases.

Little Problems

Heroes attempt to thwart the villainous Dr. Micro as he attempts to rob a bank.  Using his shrink ray to easily transport stolen goods, Dr. Micro has been on a bit of a shopping spree so to speak.  Something goes awry in the middle of their heroics and the heroes now find themselves shrunk down.  What now?

Let's just be happy I didn't name it Honey, I Shrunk the Capes.

Full Throttle

A fight occurs at a local biker bar.  Normally that would be cause for concern, but eyewitness accounts claim that one of the gangs was an all women group with glowing yellow eyes.  Armed with chains and knives, the biker gang taunted the local patrons until a bar wide brawl began.  The leader of the gang stabbed a man leaving behind nothing but a pile of ash.  In the commotion the bar was set on fire and is still in such a state when the heroes arrive.

Irish Mythology comes to the forefront in this tale of biker chicks, gods, and fae.  While ostensibly an investigation this one's very much an embrace the weird story.

Apex Predators

The heroes or singular hero have no recollection of how they/he/she ended up on a remote island.  Trapped with no sign of escape, it soon becomes apparent that a group of villains have engaged in a contest to figure who amongst them is the greatest hunter.  With the heroes as their prey.  Can the prey become the predator.

So this is meant more for the unpowered equipment relying sort.  Basically those that would actually be in some trouble without access to their main source of damage dealing as the heroes will be stripped of equipment/devices for this.  Although martial artists would also be ideal.

Purple Haze

A new narcotic has found its way onto the streets Stockholm going by the name of purple haze, a thick, viscous liquid that grants seemingly random powers moments after it is consumed. It is thought to be a derivative of zoom and max, which are found predominantly in Freedom City.  Its real origins are slightly more complex.

This one is a plot hook proposed in the Northern Europe Atlas.  Involving a Stellar Khanate crime syndicate, a grue infiltrator, and using the Day of Wrath as basis for renewed interest on the planet.

A World Lost
A powerful Warlord rose to prominence in the Lost World abruptly.  Hailing from a distant dimension, his forces overwhelmed the island with advanced technology beyond their means and numbers to boot.  Capturing the various leaders and heroes of its Native Lands, the island is helpless as he turns the continent into his next war machine.  In the hopes of using the various dimensional entrances to conquer Earth Prime next.  Can the heroes prevent that from happening and save the Lost World while they're at it?

This one will probably require GM permission.  I think it's a bit of an idea that cropped up in Warriors and Warlocks first.  Might've just been the Atlas.  Either way, I'm on board.

Mysterious Circumstances
Nestled on the eastern side of Mystery Mountain in southern New Hampshire is the eponymous town of Mystery, a sleepy New England town on the surface, but concealing strange depths known only to a few.  Strong family values and a close knit community are the primary selling points of this town.  Beneath the surface the town is a supernatural hotspot.  With the police doing their damndest to cover up such issues as "wild animal attacks" or gangbangers on drugs to cover up the .  Recently people have been mauled in wild animal attacks.  With pawprints akin to the a wolf left behind.  Only the size doesn't match up to that of an actual wolf found in nature.

The best supernatural tales take place in isolated small towns.  And the fictional Mystery from the Supernatural Handbook is just that.  It's essentially a Sunnydale or Beacon Hills of sorts.  So, the aim is to tell a story in such a tone which opposes the superhero dynamic in the heroes will start out with less trust than they are used to.  But they won't have to worry about maintaining any sort of masquerade themselves.  Werewolves and other supernatural woes ahoy as the heroes investigate this tale. 

Gorilla Warfare
During WWII after favor had begun to swing in the favor of the Allied Forces, SHADOW conducted experiments on Apes.  In the hopes of creating hyper intelligent psychic apes as a backup fighting force.  The experiments were success, but the apes rallied against their masters and escaped.  Forming a hidden civilization in the heart of the African continent after coming across a lost temple.  Very few know of the existence of this hidden village.  Even their closest natives of Dakana were caught unaware when a hunting party went missing.  With the heroes offering to investigate.

Gorilla Warfare had no takers.  So, I'm changing up the premise.  Now it's Congo with psychic apes.  Oh and Nazis.  Of course there has to be Nazis.

Fire and Fists
Due to recent events the Circuit Maximus has not been quite as active.  Seeking to take advantage of the gap left behind a mysterious backer has started a secret martial arts tournament in Hong Kong.  With preliminaries held around the world including in Freedom City.  The prize being a mysterious artifact of unknown origin.  The only rule for this team based bloodsport is there are no rules.  It's up to the heroes to bring this tournament's shadowy backers to justice.  

Wuxia, Investigation, Bloodsports.  Come on now it sells itself

Full throttle sounds ione for Pitchs, Bikers and bar room brawls. 

I would love to throw something into Purple HAze, simply because I know Stockholm fairly well and it has charm for me. Possibly Starshot if he is approved, or maybe Red Rat. Hell, anyone. I love Stockholm!

Actually Starshot fits quite a few of theses as a huntsman of sorts. But overall thanks for running these and ill bite at any you think might fit!

Blue Jay could be tailor-made for Apex Predators even without her bow, and she'd have a good time in Fire & Fists, too.

TNTeen has a pre-existing connection to the Lost World. If someone told him Zandar's abs were in trouble, he'd be on the next plane out!

Corona (once she's approved) would work well for Little Problems, Full Throttle, or Purple Haze.

Alright.  So I'm thinking Creature Feature could be a Next Gen thread instead.  Or just a Claremont one in general.  So making that amendment to it.

About to put up Shark Week, and Man vs Nature.  So just about every one of the previous threads would have been started thus far.

Why am I posting then  Because, I have new ideas and hunger for your posting sustenance.  Some ideas are inspired by plot hooks from the Atlases.

Little Problems

Heroes attempt to thwart the villainous Dr. Micro as he attempts to rob a bank.  Using his shrink ray to easily transport stolen goods, Dr. Micro has been on a bit of a shopping spree so to speak.  Something goes awry in the middle of their heroics and the heroes now find themselves shrunk down.  What now?

Let's just be happy I didn't name it Honey, I Shrunk the Capes.

Hm. Thoughtspeed or Cobalt Templar could work, with extra irony on the latter, but I can be a "standby" player if there's tones of interest here.

Apex Predators

The heroes or singular hero have no recollection of how they/he/she ended up on a remote island.  Trapped with no sign of escape, it soon becomes apparent that a group of villains have engaged in a contest to figure who amongst them is the greatest hunter.  With the heroes as their prey.  Can the prey become the predator.

So this is meant more for the unpowered equipment relying sort.  Basically those that would actually be in some trouble without access to their main source of damage dealing as the heroes will be stripped of equipment/devices for this.  Although martial artists would also be ideal.

Oh, I wanna get Nevermore in on this.

A World Lost

A powerful Warlord rose to prominence in the Lost World abruptly.  Hailing from a distant dimension, his forces overwhelmed the island with advanced technology beyond their means and numbers to boot.  Capturing the various leaders and heroes of its Native Lands, the island is helpless as he turns the continent into his next war machine.  In the hopes of using the various dimensional entrances to conquer Earth Prime next.  Can the heroes prevent that from happening and save the Lost World while they're at it?

This one will probably require GM permission.  I think it's a bit of an idea that cropped up in Warriors and Warlocks first.  Might've just been the Atlas.  Either way, I'm on board.

I'm going to offer Cobalt Templar, with Gabriel as a backup if this skews toward maxed-out characters. Dimensional shenanigans, conquerors, would-be emperors, things like that, and all in the land of his fiancee/wife's old roommate? Definite connection there.

Mysterious Circumstances

Nestled on the eastern side of Mystery Mountain in southern New Hampshire is the eponymous town of Mystery, a sleepy New England town on the surface, but concealing strange depths known only to a few.  Strong family values and a close knit community are the primary selling points of this town.  Beneath the surface the town is a supernatural hotspot.  With the police doing their damndest to cover up such issues as "wild animal attacks" or gangbangers on drugs to cover up the .  Recently people have been mauled in wild animal attacks.  With pawprints akin to the a wolf left behind.  Only the size doesn't match up to that of an actual wolf found in nature.

The best supernatural tales take place in isolated small towns.  And the fictional Mystery from the Supernatural Handbook is just that.  It's essentially a Sunnydale or Beacon Hills of sorts.  So, the aim is to tell a story in such a tone which opposes the superhero dynamic in the heroes will start out with less trust than they are used to.  But they won't have to worry about maintaining any sort of masquerade themselves.  Werewolves and other supernatural woes ahoy as the heroes investigate this tale.

Possibly Nevermore, but I'm not feeling it super-strongly, so if you fill up otherwise don't worry about including him.

Gorilla Warfare

During WWII after favor had begun to swing in the favor of the Allied Forces, SHADOW conducted experiments on Apes.  In the hopes of creating hyper intelligent psychic apes as a backup fighting force.  The experiments were success, but the apes rallied against their masters and escaped.  Forming a hidden civilization in the heart of the African continent after coming across a lost temple.  Very few know of the existence of this hidden village.  Even their closest natives of Dakana were caught unaware when a hunting party went missing.  With the heroes offering to investigate.

Gorilla Warfare had no takers.  So, I'm changing up the premise.  Now it's Congo with psychic apes.  Oh and Nazis.  Of course there has to be Nazis.

Psychic Apes and Nazis? Sounds like a job for Cobalt Templar.

Fire and Fists

Due to recent events the Circuit Maximus has not been quite as active.  Seeking to take advantage of the gap left behind a mysterious backer has started a secret martial arts tournament in Hong Kong.  With preliminaries held around the world including in Freedom City.  The prize being a mysterious artifact of unknown origin.  The only rule for this team based bloodsport is there are no rules.  It's up to the heroes to bring this tournament's shadowy backers to justice.  

Wuxia, Investigation, Bloodsports.  Come on now it sells itself

Nevermore.