Springpine (PL7) - trildemex

Player Name: trildemex

Character Name: Springpine

Power Level: PL7 (105/105PP)

Trade-Offs:None

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Disabled young farm hand uses botanokinesis to simulate missing body parts.

Alternate Identity:

Identity: Cletus Yokel (Secret)

Birthplace: Oklahoma

Affiliations: None (yet!)

Family: Danny Yokel (Father), Samantha Abbot (Mother, Deceased), Amanda Yokel (Younger Sister)

Description:

Apparent Age: 22

Ethnicity: White American

Height6' 3" 

Weight:160 pounds

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Black

Cletus is a well-built, giant of a man, who grew up doing honest work on his farm alongside his father. In civilian clothing, he ties up the end of his left sleeve so as to stop it from dangling about. The left side of his face is scarred bright pink from the accident and the pupil in his left eye has gone cloudy. With his plant augmenting his body, his left arm and eye are reconstructed using plant which are mostly a dark green. The eye itself is a single blue orb and plant tendrils flower across Cletus' face to anchor the eye in place. The plant limb simulates actual muscles by growing strands of vine-like tissue and functions like his old limb.

Power Descriptions:

Descriptors: Plants

The major use of his power is to simulate Cletus' lost body parts, namely his eye and his arm, they function just as a normal eye and arm would. He is able to stretch the arm to long lengths or manipulate it's shape and density. The plant matter that runs through his veins also stimulate his muscles to give him increased strength and control, while keeping the muscles from tearing by binding them with a network of "plant veins".

Other than that, he is able to communicate with plants, but has difficulty shutting out their voices at times. Cletus is still developing his powers, and is actively trying to graduate from local manipulation of plants.

History:

While driving his mother out on a trip to the city from the family wheat farm, Cletus crashes the car into an oncoming bus. His mother died on impact but Cletus managed to survive the ordeal. The burning wreckage crushed a portion of his left body, his arm had to be amputated and the flames scarred his face and stole the vision from his left eye.

Being the son of a farmer, this was a big blow to the family, financially and emotionally. Soon, Cletus now single father of two, Danny, became abusive and sees his son as a burden to the family, calling him a waste of space and money. Despite such hardships, Cletus continues to do his chores on the farm, albeit a little slower, a little sloppier than before.

A few years came and gone since the accident, when a Labyrinth agent, under a fake name and agency, approached Cletus with an offer to join an experimental program to develop technology dedicated to enabling the public access to super powers. With the promise that his family would be taken care of and the possibility of regrowing his limbs, Cletus agreed to take the offer.

However, an error occurred during the process, causing Cletus to enter a comatose state. Deemed a failure, Labyrinth decided to just of Cletus. After dumping him in a nearby river, no one expected to see the disabled farm boy again.

Miraculously, a fortnight later, Cletus woke up washed up by a lake, covered in a layer of vine-like matter. The experiment had granted Cletus botanokines, and the ability to photosynthesize nutrients in his body had kept him alive. Then he heard the voices: the trees, the brush, the grass beneath his feet.

And the voices guide him home, slowly but surely, they guided him home. His father and sister welcomed him back with joy and relief, and all was fine for a while. But it wasn't long before harvest season started, and Cletus woke up with a shock. Somewhere in the distant, he could hear the thousands upon thousands of screams of agony, the wailing of the golden fields floating in the air.

Driven by fear and shock, Cletus made a mad dash out into the fields to confront his father, his own cries drowned by the voices that only he could hear. But his father was not a frail, old man, nay. Danny was an able-bodied man, with a sound mind, as opposed to the one-armed, addled Cletus. Danny was able to subdue Cletus easily and was holding him down the best he could, and his best was doing very well.

That is, until a limb took shape where his left arm should have been. A thick, green arm that flexed with such raw power, in one strike he knocked his father out cold. Then all was silent, save for the whispers of the ears of wheat, thanking, calming, soothing him. And so he sat there, and cried. He cried for the wheat, he cried for help, he cried for the madness to stop.

But no help came, only silence. Cletus brought his father back to the house and when he came to, related to him about the offer by a mysterious person and his new found powers. Outraged, Danny condemned him as an abomination and exiled him from the farm.

With nothing left in his life, Cletus turns his attention to the people responsible of taking away his familiy and his old life and poetically, granted him a new one. He now patrols the street of Freedom City under the alias of Springpine and has a part-time job as a sewer cleaner.

Personality & Motivation:

In an attempt to track down the people responsible for Cletus' powers, and to stop them from menacing other victims, he sets out under the alias of Springpine in the streets of Freedom City

Powers & Tactics:

In battle, Cletus makes use of his plant limb to dart across the field, to make fly-by attacks, or to pull enemies close from afar. Mostly, he uses his superior strength and agility to get up close and personal with enemies before pummeling them or grappling them into submission.

Complications:

Solar Dependance: A majority of Springpine's powers are weakened if concealed from the sun for prolonged amounts of time.

Pyrophobia: Springpine's powers are also vulnerable to fire or extreme heat.

Without the Green: Without his powers, Cletus lacks an arm and an eye. He may face difficulties manipulating objects and lacks depth perception if his botanokinesis cannot come into play.

Crutch Syndrome: As Cletus becomes more dependent on his powers to function "normally", he becomes more and more reliant on it and hence, desperately avoids situations that may compromise the use of his powers. He avoids staying in shady areas for prolonged amounts of time and refuses to enter hot places.

Talk to the Hand: As Cletus' spends more time as Springpine, his plant anatomy seems to be developing a personality of it's own. Worst yet, it's developed sass. On occasions where Cletus and his plant anatomy cannot harmonize or come to terms, his powers might fail him.

Abilities: -2 + -2 + 4 + 0 + 6 + 0 = 6PP

Strength: 8/18 (-1/+4)

Dexterity: 8/10 (-1/+0)

Constitution: 14/18 (+2/+4)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 6 + 8 = 14PP

Initiative: -1/+0

Attack: +7 Melee, +3 Ranged

Grapple: +6/+11 (+15 with Sproing!)

Defense: +7, +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -2/-3

Saving Throws (Man Made Whole): 3 + 7 + 4 = 14PP

Toughness: +7 (+4 Con, +2 Defensive Roll, +1 Protection)

Fortitude: +7 (+4 Con, +3)

Reflex: +7 (+0 Dex, +7)

Will: +7 (+3 Wis, +4)

Saving Throws (Normal Form)

Toughness: +5 (+2 Con, +2 Defensive Roll,  +1 Protection)

Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3)

Reflex: +6 (-1 Dex, +7)

Will: +7 (+3 Wis, +4)

Skills: 52R = 13PP

Climb 4 (+3/+8, SM)

Concentration 4 (+7)

Craft (Structural) 8 (+8)

Handle Animal 8 (+8)

Knowledge (Life Sciences) 8 (+8)

Notice 4  (+7)

Ride 4 (+3/+8, SM)

Sense Motive 4 (+7)

Survival 4 (+7, SM)

Swim 4 (+3/+8, SM)

Feats: 9PP

Accurate Attack

Attack Focus 4 (Melee)

Dodge Focus 3

Defensive Roll 1

Powers: 25 + 8 + 19 = 52PP

Man Made Whole [25pp]

Container 5 (Active) (25 pp)

-Feature 1 (Disabilities negated) [1pp]

-Empowered Strength 10 [10pp]

-Empowered Dexterity 2 [2pp]

-Empowered Constitution 4 [4pp]

-Enhanced Feats [8pp]

All-out Attack, Chokehold, Grappling Finesse

Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin

Move-by Action, Skill Mastery [Climb, Ride, Survival, Swim] 

Seed of Life [8pp]

Regeneration 1 (Recovery Bonus) [1pp]

Immunity 2 (Immune to Starvation and Thirst, Need for Sleep) [2pp]

Protection 1 [1pp]

Comprehend 2 (Plants) [4pp]

Nature's Wrath [19pp]

Nature's Array 6 [12pp+7AP][19PP]

Left HookDamage 3 (PFs: Mighty, Variable Descriptor 1 [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing], Penetrating 7) {12/12}

Left HoooookElongation 3 (25ft) {3} + Damage 3 (PFs: Mighty, Variable Descriptor 1 [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) {5} Super Movement 1 (Swinging) {2} {10/12}

BulldozerDamage 3 (PFs: Mighty) (Extra: Area [Cone; 30ft]) {11} {11/12}

Windup Punch: Stun 6 (Flaw: Full Action) {6}+ Elongation 3 (Extra: Free Action) {6} {12/12}

Trip WhipTrip 7 (PF: Improved Trip) (Extra: Area: Cone [70ft]) (Flaw: Range [Touch]) {8} {8/12}

Sproing!Elongation 4 (50ft) (PF: Action [Free]) {8} +  Super-Strength 4 (Flaw: Limited to Grappling) {4} {12/12}

Take a BreatherHealing 8 (Flaw: Personal, PF: Persistent, Regrowth) {10/12}

Woodwork: Create Object 4 (Extra: Duration[Continuous]) {12/12}

Drawbacks: -3PP

Pyrophobia/Being Green

Vulnerability Fire (Frequency: Common, Intensity: Moderate) [3pp]

DC Block

ATTACK      RANGE        SAVE                         EFFECT
Unarmed     Touch        DC22 Toughness (Staged)      Damage (Physical)
Trip        Area         DC17 Reflex                  Proned
Stun        Touch        Dc16 Fortitude               Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

Totals: Abilities (6) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (13) + Feats (9) + Powers (52) - Drawbacks (3) = 105/105 Power Points

Edited by trildemex

Okay Tril, as promised, here are some comments.

First, on the fluff: For one thing, I would change the group that approached him to being some front company for the Labyrinth, as opposed to the Labyrinth directly (their whole point is operating in secret behind all sorts of shadowy front companies and proxies). You can certainly mention it was a Labyrinth front company. Also, I would drop the bit about the Labyrinth front company trying to dispose of him because it wanted to avoid lawsuits and likely just trying to dispose of him because the process failed.

Now, regarding Cletus joining Claremont Academy, Claremont is a high school, so he is too old to be a student there now. In addition, the administrators at Claremont do not run around wiping people’s memories and implanting new ones.

So, to the crunch: One thing I note is there are some instances of the power point totals not adding up right.

Stats are somewhat on the lowish side, but, there is a reason for that, and the character does have the ability increase several (particularly the ones with the negative bonus), so that is all good. Power points add up correctly as well.

Combat: So, there are some problems here.
First, Initiative would be -1/+4, depending on what your Dex currently is.
Second, there is a problem with Defense, at the top you only spend 8 pp for defense (which would be +4) and I see no Dodge Focus feat, so I do not see how you have a +6 defense. Also, with only a +4 defense, your flat-footed defense would be +2. This being the case, you defense and toughness are a fair bit below the PL 7 caps, something we strongly discourage.
Knockback should be -2/-3 (as it is half your toughness, rounded down).

Saving throws look fine and the point totals are good.

Skills: point total seems good, one thing tough, we really do not use the profession skill, so would likely be best to drop that and use the points for something else (like possibly raising your defense or some other issues)

Feats all seem good as well, though I wonder if a few more of these should perhaps be part of the container? (that is feats he is not always able to do?) Your choice really.
One feat I have a question on is Quick Change, how do you see his powers helping him change into and out of costume quickly? (It might be helpful to note that we have a house rule that allow players to change into costume a full round action, as opposed to taking 10 rounds)

Powers:
For the Man Made Whole container, you should note that it is Active, as opposed to Passive (at least I assume it is Active, which means it (and all the powers in the container) can be turned on and off, where Passive means they are always on (unless negated), and from how you describe things, it sounds like an Active container, which takes a Fee Action to turn on).

The Cost for Nature Wrath is wrong. You have a 12 point array, with 5 Alternate Powers, that costs 17 pp, so you have underspent by 6.

There are a few issues with some of the alternate powers as well.
First, the Bulldozer slot, how exactly do you see this working and why is it a cone area?
In addition, you have bought damage with the mighty feat, which is already a touch attack, so the Flaw: Range [Touch] does not apply as it is already present. There is an additional problem in that using the Mighty feat, you need to apply the Area extra to the strength bonus as well as the base damage (otherwise you are getting a lot of damage at half the cost). Thus, having the power be Damage 3 with Might (+4 from enhanced Str) and Cone Area costs 11 pp (that is before any of the other feats you have listed, let alone the Selective Extra). (You also do not need the Accurate feat, as it is built as a melee power, not a ranged power and you are already at the PL cap for Melee attack bonus and damage).

The Trip Whip: For one, the effect is a bit low, so you might want to consider that. As above, you have the Cone Area wrong, with 5 Progression, it would actually be a 1,500 foot cone, which seems a bit extreme. But, more to the point, this is priced wrong. Trip 3 is a range attack, costing 6 pp for the ranks. You reduce this to 3 with the Flaw: Tough Range, but then you add the Area and Selective extras, bringing the costs back up to 9 pp, then you want to add 6 extras, making the total costs 16 pp.

Sproing: This slot is fine price wise and such, only, given what you talked about wanting to do with it in chat (ie grappling someone and possibly moving them around), it might not be as effective as you want, as your grapple modifier is not boosted, and you are limited to your carrying capacity as to how much you can move (Str 18 is good, but not anywhere near superstrong)

One last thing, you need to remove the vulnerability to fire from the sheet for now, as you do not have it yet.

Thanks for the check, I'll update the sheet as soon as possible.

The fluff will have to be discussed a bit though, but I can address the math issues immediately.

EDIT:

+Defenses addressed, took some Dodge Focus

+Most feats moved to Man Made Whole

+Arrays fixed (hopefully)

+Disability drawbacks shunted to complications, took Being Green drawbacks instead

+Feature 1 for disabilities in Man Made Whole

+Fluff redone, Springpine doesn't know about Labyrinth's association (which was my intention), and he was thrown out of his house and is now actively seeking for clues to the perpetrators responsible for his condition.

-Decreased Enhanced Dexterity to 2 since I don't use any Dex skills and initiative wouldn't matter past the first turn.

-Removed Absorption Light 3, as it was mostly for fluff (expensive fluff, which I cannot afford now)

-Quick Change removed

Edited by trildemex

Tril, thanks for the changes. Quite a few things look fixed, but still a couple of small things.

First, you might want to note that your grapple can go up to +15 when you use the array slot with elongation and the grapple limited superstrength.

Second, some good news, you dropped your Man Made Whole container to 25 points, but still list it as costing 30. So, you actually have 5 unspent points, which is good, as…

I am a bit concerned about one of new disadvantages you added, the Weakness to lack of sunlight. I think this will prove to be something of a major headache for you and any GM, particularly when an adventure might last into night. You could easily find yourself at -10 or more on rolls depending on the time, so I am not sure this is something you are going to want to have in place. As you have some unspent points anyway, maybe just drop this altogether?

I do like how you handle the one arm/one eye disability here better than it was before.

Also, I am not sure about your comment about initiative not being an issue after the first round, as initiative remains for each consecutive round of combat, but no big deal there.

So, just need to make a few small changes.

As we talked about it, I have 2pp left to spend after the 5pp from Man Made Whole and -3pp from the sunlight drawback.

I added the following to my array:

Windup PunchStun 7 (Flaw: Full Action) {7}+ Elongation 4 {4} [11pp]

WoodworkCreate Object 4 (Extra: Duration[Continuous]) [12pp]

Tril, as I mentioned in chat last night, the Windup Punch slot has some problems.  Elongation takes a move action, so you cannot have it with a Full Action Stun, or at least you would not be able to use the Elongation in the same round as you use the Stun.  You could Elongate one round and then use the Stun in other rounds taking the full action.