A day at the (super) gym

MarkK

The Emissary for his part was waiting in the hallway just outside the Wreck Room, where, ontop of everything else, he had strung up a banner with a bright gold "Welcome!" painted on it. ("Cheeseball," observed Johnny Rocket when he saw the Emissary putting it up earlier. "Oh, no, that is a good suggestion, but I think that would be too unhealthy to serve on a day of athletic exertion", replied the Emissary.)

He smiled to Velocity when he saw her.

"It is good to see you as well. If you could bring everyone over here?"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velocity looked up at the banner that was hanging from the ceiling and grinned. “If I did not know better, I would ask if you were on the Homecoming committee in high School.â€Â

She then focused back on the silver man. “Okay, I’ll try to get them moving then.†With that, she was gone again.

A few seconds later she was back to the rest of the group.

“I found Emissary, he is waiting for us by the Wreck Room.†Velocity said.

"Us, go now!" Legionnaire grunted. He holds back Velocity.

"You, help Language?" he asks, pointing to himself.

Wonder heads down to the Wreck Room, keeping a slightly mistrustful eye on the room around him. This isn't the Freedom Hall of his youth, and he'd do well to remember that. Once there, he smiles at the sight of the Emissary, reaching out to give him a firm handshake. "Good to see you again. Did you get in touch with John Wade?"

Velocity pulled her arm free from Legionnaires grasp as she gave him a slight glare. “Hands off please.†She said, then adding, “Don’t know what help I can give with translation, Captain Wonder speaks Latin, not me. But sure, I can try to help some. Now try to keep up, I’ll go slow.â€Â

With that she was off down the hallway in a flash, stopping a short distance down and waiting for the others to catch up before continuing on until they reached the hallway where Emissary was waiting.

"Yes, I am familiar with your grandfather's work," says Wonder with great firmness. "Very intimately so, as a matter of fact." For a moment, in the back of his mind, Fred is fourteen again and facing down a 50 foot robot with a machine gun for a mouth and death rays for eyes. He shakes it off, after just a moment's pause, and asks, "Is he still among the living?"

"He vas reportedly killed in 1965," he says as he flies down the hallway towards the Emissary, "in an accident in his South American laboratory." He said the word as lab-BOR-a-tree, as any Old World Mad Scientist would. "Ve never saw a body, but even if zhe report vas false, he vould be von hundred und twelve years old by now, so surely zhe Grim Reaper vould haff paid him a visit by now."

Wonder heads down to the Wreck Room, keeping a slightly mistrustful eye on the room around him. This isn't the Freedom Hall of his youth, and he'd do well to remember that. Once there, he smiles at the sight of the Emissary, reaching out to give him a firm handshake. "Good to see you again. Did you get in touch with John Wade?"

He returns the gesture with a smile, then a sigh.

"Unfortunately no, the balance of my efforts to try and champion the people of this city how I can, and my duties as an ambassador of my homeland have been particularly weighty of late. I was suprised at being able to make time to get this day to happen at all, for instance."

He notices the others beginning to arrive.

"Ah, speaking of!"

A cheerful wave to everyone that moves forward into the hall once they do in full.

"Hello, for those of you who do not know me, I am the Emissary, and I am very glad to see you all here. I hope today can result in some firmer contact between the members of our community, and a greater sense of our capabilities, how they might compliment and aid each other. The Freedom League have been kind enough to see wisdom in my proposal and grant me the use of the Wreck Room for the day. The first thing I would like to do, is for each of you to briefly introduce yourselves, and give as much of a description of your capabilities as you are comfortable with sharing. I ask this so that I can make sure the simulators, obstacles, workout routines and combat drones operate to a degree you'll find challenging, as much as anything else."

He pauses.

"And I do realize it's more than a little bit awkward to step forward in any situation, especially if generally you might be some grim avenger of the night's shadows, or that kind of thing. Though I do not think any of such have arrived today, which is a shame, they are entirely interesting people... Anyway, I would have provided for name tags and clipboards instead, but the former would apparently make this 'superhero high school reunion' and the latter 'superhero speed dating'. Or so I was told. Plus, better we keep talking, I think."

"Does anyone wish to go first?"

Legionnaire looked confused at all the speech. He only knew what they said because of his guide. Apart from that, he was guessing. However, he knew combat. He tapped Captain Wonder on the shoulder and pointed from himself, to Wonder, to Emissary, hoping to get through to Wonder he wants translating.

"I am a Roman, lost from home. I am here to reawaken my hunger and lust for combat. All I know is killing, death and pain. I bid thee good day" he shot off in Latin.

Legionnaire looked confused at all the speech. He only knew what they said because of his guide. Apart from that, he was guessing. However, he knew combat. He tapped Captain Wonder on the shoulder and pointed from himself, to Wonder, to Emissary, hoping to get through to Wonder he wants translating.

"I am a Roman, lost from home. I am here to reawaken my hunger and lust for combat. All I know is killing, death and pain. I bid thee good day" he shot off in Latin.

"My friend here says he's a mighty warrior and hungry for battle," says Wonder, sizing up the big warrior momentarily. For his own part, Wonder is inclined to assume that everyone's heard of him. But it still doesn't hurt to go first, to give the young people some confidence. "I am Captain Wonder. In the past, I have flown faster than a jetplane, survived a direct energy blast from the Ubermensch, and punched my way through a tank's armor. As was said of Odyesseus, I am skilled in all ways of contending."

Confidence was not something Velocity was lacking in (either in or out of costume), and she quickly spoke up after Captain Wonder finished translating for Legionnaire and gave some details about himself.

“Velocity at your services.†The young woman said with a wide smile. “I’m probably among the fastest people on the planet, and I have tough more than a few villains not to underestimate me.â€Â

I suppose you'd have us tell all our abilities to the whole group, hrm?

Of course, so they can better stop us should things go... astray..

But what if one of them goes astray? What if one of them fall, and uses your trusting nature against us? Surely we can keep just one or two things hidden, hrm?

And I suppose you'd want that to be our stealth mode?

Oh, certainly not! That's a mere parlor trick, there are many ways around it. No, I mean our teleportation and 'immovability' abilities.

What? Why those two? Knowledge of our ability to teleport could be vital to future battle plans, not to mention in delivering critical supplies or-

- or destroying the spacetime continuum. Both those abilities are achieved via the generation and manipulation of singularities and wormholes, a very dangerous technology. If they know we've got that kind of power, and learn the full history of our family, they may confiscate it all and not allow us to... as you say, 'atone'.

You... may have a point.

Archevile stepped forward and looked almost as if he was going to do the German boot-heel-click, but instead bowed to Emissary. "I am Herr Doktor Viktor Heinrich Archeville, of Germany, und I haff only been in zhis city for a few months. I haff operated for some years as a zuperhero in mein homeland, mostly by meinself, but haff come here to Freedom City in zhe hopes of expanding und improving mein performance. Before zhat, I actually attended zhe HIT university in Hanover."

The German resumed floating a few inches off the ground. "I am, as zhey say in America, a 'Gadgeteer', a super-scientist. I am a meister of a variety of scholarly and scientific fields, from acoustics to zoology, und am very good mit all sorts of technology. Mein Gravimetric Belt," he continued, pointing to the Kirby-esque belt around his waist, "allows me to fly, generate a protective force field capable of withstanding mortars und field artillery, und protects me from most environmental hazards; a small canister of pressurized air can even sustain me in airless environs. Zhe protective field can also be modulated," one hand moved to his waist and depressed a few buttons on the belt, causing him to fade from view, "to varp electromagnetic energies around me, rendering me invisible to visual und radio senses." By the time he'd finished talking, he was fully invisible.

And just as quickly back again, "Even mitout zhe protective field, mein labcoat offers me some protection due to zhe metallic und polymer threads voven into it vhich disperse many forms of energy; it also keep me toasty varm in zhe cold German vinters. As for veaponry... I carry none. This warranted an odd look from most. "I used to carry a very potent blaster pistol, one able to shoot zhrough Sherman und Panzer tanks, but villains kept trying to steal it from me und make copies, so I chose to focus on making mein mind mein most potent veapon. Zhe most offensive thing I carry is zhis, mein elektromagnetische schraubenzieher." He withdrew a wand-like device from one of his labcoat pockets, studded with many tiny buttons and blinking lights, "Mein 'electromagnetic screwdriver,' a very versatile tool vhich can, amongst ozher zhings, hack into most computer und electronic systems."

After the good Doktor finished his somewhat lengthy introduction Alex figured she might as well do her own rather much shorter one. Stepping forward a couple of feet she spread her wings slightly so that the others might appreciate how large they are, then folded them up again as she began speaking.

"Well, as this I'm called Mongrel Angel, and as should be obvious I'm able to fly. Moreover I'm pretty strong, able to lift over a ton and a half, tough enough to be pretty much immune to small arms fire. Apart from this I can conjure this." The silver haired angel held forth her right arm, the hand of which became enveloped in flames ranging from darkish grey to silver in colour. "These flames are mostly good for smiting foes from afar, but I'm figuring out what else I can do with them. I suppose I might as well mention that I am currently somewhat lacking in general combat experience so I'm not as skilled as I might like."

The Emissary listens attentively as the others speak, and other than a brief frown when observing Legionnaire's demeanor, his gaze remains thoughtful throughout, an impression given of details taken in and carefully weighed.

"Hm, alright. If you will give me a moment to briefly confer with the entirely redoubtable Raven, who agreed to work the control room this day, which I appreciate. Admittedly there was a slightly disconcerting gleam in her eye, and what sounded as mutterings about 'capability lists' and 'prep time'.. Still, it should be fine."

He floated off down a side passage at that, pausing before he moved fully from view.

"For my own part, I can fly, though not anywhere near, nor faster than a jet, though that is something I'm working on. I can lift close to 800 tons or so under maximum strain, I have endured both the vacuum of space and being rather thoroughly smacked around by this sort of giant squid creature recently.. Oh! And I have recieved an entirely vigorous training from one of this world's premier warriors, though I would not yet say my capacity quite reaches his own."

A bit of beaming? pride? affection? all three? at that last, before he moves off fully from view.

A bit of beaming? pride? affection? all three? at that last, before he moves off fully from view.

"It's true," says Wonder politely, "he did." He eyes the others, reminding himself that he's not an authority figure in this setting. Still, especially given his experience and age, it's hard for him not to think that way. "I remember once, when the Marionette had the Envoy mind-controlled, he hit me right in the head with that sword of his." Wonder rubs his head at the memory. "Those people have sharp swords."

The Emissary returned to the group after a while, and the doors to the Wreck Room slid open with a hiss at that. The gleaming steel chamber seemed vast, but with the advanced simulator technology that could already be at play, the actual dimensions could be anything.

"Alright.. after some consultation, thoughts go as this for initial exercise."

He gesture to the right section of the chamber, large enough to be a gym of itself, wherein looked to be a wide, faintly glowing circle that nearly encompassed all of it.

"Legionnaire and Mongrel Angel to spar directly and with all due vigor. Bearing in mind the word spar. His skill to contrast with her varied power and suchlike."

And to hopefully mean he can't also injure anyone while not himself getting smeared, went the Emissary's unspoken thoughts.

He nodded then to the center of the room, again vast of itself.

"Captain Wonder and the good Doctor will proceed there, the sides of the area will be sectioned off with force fields, attack robots will then emerge in series from the floor, ceiling and corner of the room, and, well, you deal with them however you feel suits your idiom really, until they are bested. A chance for the Captain to simply cut loose, and for the Doctor to freely try out the various strategies on opponents he has likely had to adopt upon forsaking that weapon he had noted. And perhaps even to come up with new ones. To see if your efforts might at that even compliment each other."

He looked then to the leftmost section of the chamber, which seemed to be completely occupied from ceiling to floor by some kind of massive hybrid jungle gym and orrery, shining as if attentively polished, all constantly shifting and bending steel bars, the weaving, spreading motions at times having a nearly hypnotic pattern, as if some kind of mandala in gymnastic equipment. The whole arranged in thick enough clusters and dizzying angles as to make it difficult to trace all the way through, let alone sort out where it began or ended.

"This last, I will admit to a slight touch of self indulgence in.." A bit of a smile.

"For my part, I have been given a thorough training in gymnastics, acrobatics, that sort of thing. But I have found it difficult to keep up with that training purely, given my body's particular mass. It ends up being only able to refine such talents with aerial excercise, which, while useful, does begin to make them dependant on such and increasingly difficult to use in isolation. The benefit of the Wreck Room's resilience making for chances like this."

"By a similar token, I have repeatedly noted and been impressed by Velocity's lithe and graceful sense of agility. However I imagine it can be difficult to dissassociate from her prodigous rate of movement. And in my studies into superhuman combat, that sort of issue it seems is often exploited against speedsters. Tripping them, attempts at perfectly timed efforts of disruption their motion, trying to get them to go faster than their sense of coordination, all that kind of thing."

"And so! The idea is to without flight or speed, and thus on agility and skill alone, begin to proceed in circling pace through the construct without falling, missing a grab for a bar amidst the flips and spins and hurdles, or smacking into something. The shifting of the construct will increase in complexity over time, as will the rate set for our progress through it."

He looked to everyone gathered.

"And after some time spent in all of such, and a rest break, if everyone then feels up for it, we come together for a scenario the room will generate that we will face as a group."

Velocity looked up at the massive construct of gymnastics equipment as Envoy mentioned what their work out would involve. She smiled slightly as she looked back at the silver man. “Okay, that looks like it could be fun. Though, I would mention I had a good amount of gymnastics training before I gained my speed, and have only gotten better.â€Â

Archeville cast a sideways glance at Captain Wonder, "do please try und leave a few for me to deal mit, Herr Kapitan." A gleam in his eye shone as he twirled his electromagnetic screwdriver around in his hand.

"I'll...do the best I can." Completely unfazed by everything else, the idea of fighting the latest of the modern age has Wonder's back up and his fists clenched. He'll show these young people a thing or two about how to fight. He smiles at Archeville. "Just make sure you don't hit me with one of those things."

Mongrel Angel looks over at the taller, armoured man whom she's been told to spar with. She's got a fair bit of confidence, but from the looks of it her opponent isn't lacking that either so this might turn out to pretty fun. With a slight smile on her lips the winged lass walks over to the indicated ring and waits for her taller opponent to come over as well.

When everyone seemed prepared, the Emissary gestured to proceed to the respective areas marked out for them. The sparring circle lighting up just a bit more as Mongrel Angel and the Legionnaire stepped over it.

"When it pulses, that will be the sign to begin," he noted to them.

And soon enough after they reached it, the circle flared to signal the start of their spar.

The Captain and Doctor found that the fields the Emissary spoke of rose up with a hiss of energy, giving a visible shimmer to the air even as the floor panneling beside them slid open, three gunmetal grey combat drones rising up to roughly encircle and surround the pair, a massive blinking red eye set in their heads, their arms ending in fists with large bolts for knuckles, and what looked to be blaster cannons on their forearms, already showing a rising glow from within.

And finally, the Emissary guided Velocity over to the gleaming, shifting array of metal bars, poles and spires, tensing and placing a hand over one of the initial holds to make ready to push himself up and into the almost suspended in mid air maze.

Velocity just gave the silver hero a grin as he led her over to the maze that they would be traversing. Focusing ahead of her, she paused a moment as she took a deep breath and then jumped up towards one of the bars above head.

Grabbing hold, she swung forward and executed a “kipâ€Â, bringing her feet up to the bar and then swinging backward and using her momentum to push herself up above the bar, while straightening her body out. Making full use of her momentum, the teenager’s body lifted above the bar as she pushed against the bar and released her grip.

Her momentum carried her up, and over, the bar, as she reached up to another bar above. Catching hold, she quickly brought her feet up and onto the bar as she swung forward, this time swinging all the way forward until her body was up over the bar.

As she came above the bar, she released her grip and “stood upâ€Â, pushing off the bar with her feet and towards a third bar up ahead and above her. So far, things were going pretty easily….

The Captain and Doctor found that the fields the Emissary spoke of rose up with a hiss of energy, giving a visible shimmer to the air even as the floor panneling beside them slid open, three gunmetal grey combat drones rising up to roughly encircle and surround the pair, a massive blinking red eye set in their heads, their arms ending in fists with large bolts for knuckles, and what looked to be blaster cannons on their forearms, already showing a rising glow from within.

"And, now," says Wonder firmly, going into action in a blur of speed. His fists flash as he strikes at robot after robot, indeed leaving at least one for Dr. Archeville.