Spelldancer (PL 10) - Kanister

Player Name: Kanister

Character Name: Spelldancer

Power Level: 10 (150/150 PP)

Trade-Offs: -2 Defense / +2 Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: A talented Lor sorceress and empath using her powers to protect humanity!

Alternate Identity: Jessica Jersey / Enki Eparia

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Austin, Texas

Affiliations: Freedom Philharmonic (member), Claremont Academy (graduate)

Family: Antar Eparia (father), Orta Eparia (mother, deceased), Estro Eparia (uncle, never seen him, presumably in the Lor Republic)

Description:

Species: Lor

Height: 5'6''

Weight: 150 lbs.

Eyes: Green

Hair: Orange

Jessica is a bit taller than average, with a healthy build. She is very light skinned, and has long, orange hair. Her nose is a bit snubbed, and eyes are green.

When not in costume, Jessica puts on some make-up, and wears informal attire consisting of a jacket with a matching skirt, and a blouse. She also puts her hair into a chignon and wears a pair of slim fake glasses to conceal her secret identity.

Power Descriptions:

Jessica's powers comes from two sources: Lor mentat heritage, and magic.

When she's healing somebody, her hands glow brightly while she is absorbing the injured person's wounds. Both her Force Field and items created by Create Object have a light, but visible, viridian glow. Teleport is accompanied by a short sound, like someone was tearing apart a piece of cloth. Generally, her spells involve a lot of complicated hand gestures and mystical invocations but they are not required for the spells to work.

History:
Jessica's family comes form Crassus III, a particularly cold planet in the Lor Republic. They arrived on Earth in 1983 as a part of witness protection program. Long story short: Her father, Antar, was blackmailed by his brother, Estro, to give industrial secrets to Estro's employers. After a couple of years, Antar had enough and turned Estro in. There was some anonymous threats, so Antar agreed to move to Earth with his wife, Orta.

Both Antar and Orta were quite smart and able to blend in with humans. Jessica suspects that her mother used her psionic powers to obtain required legal documents but she never asked. They got jobs (Antar as a computer engineer, Orta as a psychiatrist) and generally lead nice lives.

Jessica Jersey was born in 1986. Well, at least that was her legal name. In her early years, Antar and Orta insisted on raising Jessica as a Lor would be raised, and called her Enki. Fortunately, they soon decided it wasn't the best idea because that would make her child an outsider.

Jessica's powers manifested in 1992, after her mother died in a car accident, and her father was seemingly unaffected by this tragedy. She was furious at him, she wanted him to feel sad, and she accidentally made him despaired for a short time, almost driving him to suicide. It was as traumatic event for her as it was for him. After the accident, they talked. Antar was obviously saddened by his wife's death but he didn't want to show his emotions to Jessica. Understandable.

In 2002, Jessica and Antar moved to Freedom City because the latter got a job offer at ASTRO Labs, and nothing really kept them in Austin. While in her hometown, Jessica occasionally saw some superheroes but in Freedom City they were literally everywhere. She decided she wants to be a part of this. She put on a makeshift costume and flew around trying tackle street thugs and influence their emotional state to leave people alone. It was quite pathetic, really. Once she flew into a wall and was almost killed by some gang members but was saved by Duncan Summers who was observing her. He scolded her and drove her home. Mr. Summers appeared several days later to offer her a place in the Claremont Academy. Antar decided it was for the best, so she enrolled. In the Academy she learned how to control her powers, and discovered her affinity for magic.

After graduation, she didn't really know what to do. She no longer had a desire to be a hero. Fortunately, she was really good at playing the violin, and formed a string quartet with three individuals. They weren't really successful but after this short-lived project, Jessica tried to get a job at the Freedom Philharmonic which had an open spot for a violinist, and she got it.

Following one of Maestro's attacks on the Beaudrie Opera House, she decided it was time to put her powers in good use. She created a costume, and decided to be ready for the villain's next appearance. When he attacked, she engaged him. While Spelldancer was unable to defeat him, she kept the civilians safe, and was able to stall him long enough for Johnny Rocket to arrive and save the day.

The encounter with Maestro happened several months ago. Since then, Spelldancer has been flying around, helping people, and fighting street criminals. Nothing too spectacular. Also, in the meantime, Antar decided he wanted to travel the world and settled in Sweden because it reminded him of Crassus III.

Personality & Motivation:
Jessica is calm, patient and generally kind. If someone irritates her, she'll just ignore this person, unless she's really frustrated, in which case she'll get passively aggresive. Being sheltered by her parents for most of her life, Jessica never had a lot of friends, and is rather reserved in expressing her emotions. She's proud of her skills (both sorcerous and musical), and strives to improve them even more. This pride has its weak points, though. Unlike most of her colleagues, Jessica is unable to sense magic. This fact frustrates her to no end, and may lead to some unpleasantness when someone acts shocked because of the fact that she's a sorceress without this ability.

Her Spelldancer persona is similar, maybe a bit more boastful about her magic.

Powers & Tactics:
Jessica is an empath and a sorceress.

Her Protective Magic allows her to, well, protect herself, and hide or escape from enemies. Other spells that she'd be able to cast, but has not mastered yet, are: variations of Obscure and Illusion (both phantasms) or Defletion.
Her Worldshaper's Magic allows her to change the world around her. Other splls that she'd be able to cast, but has not mastered yet, are: a more powerful version of Telekinesis, Environmental Control, Animate Objects, Disintegration or Color Control.

During an encounter, Jessica is most likely to stay mobile by flying around while having her Force Field activated. At first, she'll try to trap the opponent in a force cage. If this proves unsuccessful, she'll try to influence the environment to her advantage via Shape Matter or Transumation Spells. She uses her Blast reluctantly, unless she sees that it can prove more advantageous.

Complications

Secret Identity: As far as she's aware, nobody knows that Jessica Jersey is Spelldancer. And she'd like it to stay that way.

Responsibility: Jessica is expected to attend Freedom Philharmonic practices and events. This sometimes proves difficult, if not outright impossible.

Flight is not a power: It's a state of mind. Spelldancer isn't able to fly while she's feeling particularly down, scared or frustrated.

Fear of Fire: Due to her natural vulnerability to fire, Jessica feels uneasy while in proximity to open flames. She won't be outright scared unless fighting an oppononent with fire-based powers or other potentially dangerous situations involving fire.

Tech Unsavvy: Jessica can barely operate her cell phone and PC. It's a miracle she got her driver's license. It's not that she can't learn to use all those things, she just doesn't care and can't find time. At least that's what she's telling everybody.

Enemy: Jessica is pretty sure that Maestro is aware that Spelldancer is closely assiociated with the Freedom Philharmonic. He might use this knowledge to fulfill his villainous plans.

Omniglot Truth-Teller: While using her Comprehend power to speak otherwise unknown languages, Jessica is compelled to express her emotions, thus can't lie.

Abilities: 0 + 2 + 0 + 8 + 6 + 6 = 22 PP

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 10 (+0)

Intelligence: 18 (+4)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16 PP
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4)
Attack: +4 Melee, +6 Ranged
Grapple: +4
Defense: +8 (+4 Base, +4 Dodge), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -6

Saving Throws: 7 + 6 + 6 = 19 PP

Toughness: +12 (+0 Con, +8 Force Field, +2 Protection, +2 Defensive Roll)
Fortitude: +7 (+0 Con, +7)
Reflex: +7 (+1 Dex, +6)
Will: +9 (+3 Wis, +6)

Skills: 68 R = 17 PP
Bluff 0 (+3, +7 Attractive)

Concentration 4 (+7)
Diplomacy 8 (+11, +15 Attractive) [skill Mastery]

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 14 (+18) [skill Mastery]
Knowledge (Art) 1 (+5)
Knowledge (Galactic Lore) 1 (+5)
Language 4 (Ancient Egyptian, Arabic, Atlantean, English, Lor [Native])
Notice 8 (+11)

Perform (Dance) 8 (+11)
Perform (String Instruments) 12 (+15, +17 Masterwork Violin) [skill Mastery]
Sense Motive 8 (+11) [skill Mastery]

Feats: 14 PP
Attack Focus: Ranged 2
Attractive
Benefit: Wealth 1 [Wealthy]

Contacts (Heroic Wizards and Witches; Freedom City Musicians)

Defensive Roll
Dodge Focus 4
Equipment [5 EP]
Improved Initiative
Ritualist
Skill Mastery (Diplomacy, Knowledge [Arcane Lore], Perform [string Instruments], Sense Motive)

Equipment: 0 + 1 + 4 = 5 EP

Cell phone [0 EP]

Masterwork Violin [1 EP]

Headquarters (Spelldancer's Sanctuary)

Size: Small [0 EP]

Toughness: 5 [0 EP]

Features: Fire Prevention System, Garage, Library, Living Space [4 EP]

Powers: 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 11 + 11 + 34 = 64 PP

Quickness 3 (Flaws: Limited to Reading) [1 PP] (x10) {Training}

Enhanced Feat 1 (Quick Change) [1 PP] {Magic}
Super-Senses 2 (Psionic Awareness) {Psionic} [2 PP]

Super-Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1 PP] {Alien Biology}
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1 PP] {Alien Biology}
Protection 2 [2 PP] {Alien Biology}

Lor Mentat Ancestors (7 PP Array; PFs: Alternate Power 4) [11 PP] {Emotion, Psionic}

BE: Flight 3 (PFs: Subtle) [7 PP] (50 MPH)

AP: Mind Reading 10 (PFs: Subtle 2; Flaws: Limited to Emotions) [7 PP]
AP: Healing 10 (PFs: Persistent; Flaws: Empathic, Limited to Others) [6 PP]

AP: Emotion Control 10 (PFs: Subtle 2; Flaws: Range [Touch]) [7 PP]

AP: Comprehend 2 (Speak and understand all languages) [4 PP]

Protective Magic (8 PP Array; PFs: Alternate Power 3) [11 PP] {Magic}

BE: Force Field 8 [8 PP] "Amazing Armor of Arki"
AP: Morph 8 (+40 Disguise; Any Humanoid; Flaws: Phantasms) [8 PP] "Million Masks of Mati"

AP: Concealment 8 (Visual, Auditory; Flaws: Phantasms) [6 PP] "Blank Beauty of Bermut"

AP: Teleport 7 (PFs: Change Direction; Flaws: Long-Range) [8 PP] (Range: 200 miles, Cargo: 100 lbs) "Rapid Road of Reshpu"

Worldshaper's Magic (30 PP Array; PFs: Alternate Power 4) [34 PP] {Magic}

BE: Create Object 8 (Force Constructs; PFs: Accurate 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Precise, Stationary; Extras: Duration [Continuous]) [30 PP] (eight 10-foot cubes) "Impressive Items of Ishri"

AP: Shape Matter 7 (PFs: Precise) [29 PP] (100 lbs.) "Shifting Song of Sharra"
AP: Transmutation 6 [30 PP] (50 lbs.) "Chaotic Changes of Chotesh"

AP: Telekinesis 1 (PFs: Precise, Subtle 2; Extras: Range [Perception]) [6 PP] (Heavy Load: 50 lbs.) "Invisible Interactions of Ishri"
AP: Blast 10 (PFs: Accurate 2, Affect Insubstantial 2, Indirect 3, Precise, Variable Descriptor [Limited Magic*]) [29 PP] "Perplexing Projectiles of Perkos"

*Blast Descriptors: Magic + Air, Electricity/Lighting, Light, Water

Drawbacks: -2 = -2 PP

Fire/Heat Vulnerability (Minor [+1 DC], Common) [-2 PP]

Totals: Abilities (22) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (19) + Skills (17) + Feats (14) + Powers (64) - Drawbacks (2) = 150/150 Power Points

DC Block

ATTACK                RANGE                 SAVE                                              EFFECT

Unarmed              Touch                    DC15 Toughness (staged)      Damage (Physical)

Mind Reading      Perception            DC20 Will                                     Read emotions

Emotion Control  Touch                    DC20 Will (staged)                     Control emotions

Blast                      Ranged                 DC25 Toughness (staged)      Damage (Energy)

Edited by Thevshi

Welcome to the site, and hope you enjoy it!

Normally we have PCs bashed around a bit in character building for everyone to chip in and give suggestions. As you have gone straight here (which is fine!) I will make a few suggestions, but bear in mind these are suggestions - not judgements or requirements. 

So lets starts with the crunch and stuff!

Super-Senses 1 (Vision Counters Obscure [Darkness]; PFs: Innate; Flaws: Limited) [2 PP] {Alien Biology} Looks a bit confusing to me? Is this low light vision? In which case just saying low light vision with Innate feat is all thats needed. On that note, however, I think the innate feat on this and Immunity to cold is not needed. Potentially it could be nullified by an appropriate biological descriptor? Ultimately your call but I think you could safely drop this. 

Benefit: Freedom Philharmonic member is, as far as I can see not needed. Whatever marginal benefit this gives, can be considered a perk of the job (in the same way that a Doctor can prescribe drugs) and would be free. So, a free PP from  that!

The first four powers could be tidied up from a format point of view by spreading them apart with a new line. 

Now, onto comments and suggestions. These are some things to consider but are not required to approve. 

1. Exotic saves are a bit low. By experience, the site recommends an average of PL -2 for exotic saves, but this is only a vague recommendation. The saves here are well below that. Again, not a problem for letting this character through, but you may find a few annoyances with that. 

2. The Magic powers seem essentially a "do anything" magic. This is fine and good, and many people like this. I will however note a potential issue that some find with power bases like "do anything magic" (or reality changing, or vague cosmic energy), in that allow you to stunt any power. From a tactical perspective that is of course excellent, but from a narrative or GM perspective it might be considered less than awesome, as any threat or problem can be countered with a power. Depending on your outlook on this (and it all depends on your outlook), you may wish to hone down the focus of magic power into some theme or limitation, and use the ritualist feat to cover the other aspects of magic. Note this is just suggestion. 

3. Complication, Magical Blindness: Unlike most of her colleagues, Jessica is unable to sense magic I cant see how this could ever be brought into play. I mean, its plausible, of course, but you dont have to put down a complication to get an HP from it. I think its very difficult to actually make this into a difficulty, and you have the underlying issue: getting an HP for not buying a power. Feel free to put it in if you wish, but I think it only clutters the sheet. 

Thanks for the welcoming!

I'll try to adjust some stuff during this week. For now, just a quick clarification:

a) Yes, I was thinking about Low-Light Vision

B) I'm fairly new to the system and not really sure how stunting a power works. By no means do I wish to abuse it. I'll think about a way to focus it down.

c) I wasn't really thinking about HPs, just a potential interactions with fellow mages. I guess I'll move it to Personality section.

Thanks Kanister. 

With regards to magic, this is your personal choice, I would be quite happy to approve Spelldancer as it is - its really for you to think about how you want to play. Some people like the "do anything" kind of stunting, some people prefer to avoid it. 

On that note is something you may wish to consider filling it at some point. Everybody plays RPGs with a different agenda. 

As for c), I'll plug as it seems to have gone down fairly well in terms of considering how to use and have fun with complications. As you say, that complication is probably kept in backstory rather than complications. The character sheet complications is really a list of things for the GM (and you) to crib from in terms of working into stories. 

In any case, we try here to prioritise new players in terms of getting their first PC up and running fast, and into threads, so I hope you stick around and enjoy :)

Okay, so I made some changes.

Changes in fluff:
Added previous complication to Personality & Motivation.
Changed Power Description and Powers & Tactics a bit.
Added a new complication. It's pretty minor but might be interesting when it comes up.

Changes in build:
+2 Dexterity
Boosted Fort and Ref
Minor changes in skills
Feats: Benefit, Eidetic Memory, Speed of Thought, Well-Informed are gone. Got Improved Initative.
Moderate to major changes in powers.

Cool. Magic is a bit more focussed which is nice (you may find the reality alteration thing a bit too broad, I dunno - I guess road test it and feel). Complications nice, all rounding up!

I made a correction for you on Defence - its +4 base, +4 dodge focus, +2 flat footed. 

One typo, I think: Healing is empathic, not emphatic! (although I like the idea of emphatic), could you correct (presuming I have this right!)

One last thing I missed, so sorry about that. Equipment protection and power protection (force field, in this case), cannot be stacked according to core rules (p134). I guess that needs a rethink. 

Thanks for the suggestions and corrections!

I got rid of 1 rank of Equipment, lowered some skills (K:Arcane, Concentration, K:Art) and got Protection 2.

Oh, and please, don't apologize. It's my fault, I should've read the rules more carefully. And, yeah, emphatic healing was a typo.

As to magic focus: I don't really think that powerstunting is something that suits this character. She'd probably think of it as using an unmastered spell, which would be quite irresponsible. But I guess, I'll have to see, for now I can only repeat that I have no desire to abuse it.

This all adds up to me!

Magic Focus / Breadth is an individual thing, really, up to you! I'm sure you will get a feel in play when you road test how broad you would like it, it depends what suits you! Powerstunting is fairly staple here, and a great mechanism, so dont feel shy about using it. 

APPROVED

Okay, couple of minor adjustments.  First you left off the +1 bonus you have for Dex (I fixed that).  Also, I added equipment and array tags for your equipment and arrays.

Everything crunch wise seems to add up and I have no issues. 

I did have a thing or two to suggest/ask about on the fluff.

First, the incident when she is rescued from some gang members.  Having that be Duncan Summers himself might not work the best, as he is not exactly one to be roaming around in dangerous parts of town anymore given his injury and age.  Perhaps it would be better to have been the current Raven (his daughter) who saw Spellbound get into trouble and rescued her, and then contacted her father, prompting his appearance a few days later to offer her a place at Claremont?

And on the issue of Claremont, if I am reading the timeframe right, she would have been there and graduated around the same time as Bowman.  Have you given any thought to how well she knew him or any some of the other Claremont students at the time (most of the Next Gen characters in the book)?

Thanks for the corrections!

1. Let me explain why I chose Duncan: Even with his leg condition, he's more than capable to stand his own against some street thugs. Also, the way I read Claremont Academy entry in the FC sourcebook, it states that he could've been doing some field work alongside his usual detective stuff. But if it's not compatible with FCPBP canon, I can change it. It's not a big deal to me.

2. I think that she won't be nothing more than an acquaintance to canon Next-Gen characters. I probably will come up with some original NPCs while finishing the Questionnaire.

For 1, seeing as it happened about a decade or so ago, probably fine to leave as is.  As for the other, that is just fine, just wanted to make sure it was something considered. 

So, in that case....

APPROVED!

(When you can, try to hop onto chat so we can discuss ideas for some threads for you, or you can shoot me a PM!)