Grimalkin

People Grim Likes: :D

Monty

Nanowire

Nightrival

Our Lady of Mercy staff (Sister Claire, Father James)

People Grim Doesn't Like from Personal Experience >:(

The Brotherhood

The Clique

Street Pimps

People Grim Doesn't Like by Reputation or Their Acts :(

The African

Hieronymus King

The Power-House

People Grim is Still Not Sure About :S

Icarus

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

There are two men in Grim's life, and up until now they have been oblivious of each other: Nightrival, the streetwise avenger of the Southside, and Nanowire, the Japanese flying robot man. One is her mentor, the other her friend and possibly much more. Both men care a great deal about this petite crimefighter, and would do seemingly anything to protect her.

But both have fought in the past, and may again in the future; as Nightrival comes to depend on Grim more and more, and Nano's feelings for her grow stronger and stronger, can this possibly end well for any of them? And what is it in Grim's nature that has allowed this state of affairs to come to pass?

Edited by Heritage
  • 3 weeks later...

From Grim's journal

May 3rd, 2008

So you'll never guess what happened today! No seriously, you'll never guess, so I'm just gonna tell you.

I freakin' melted!

That's right, I melted like a tasty grilled cheese sandwich, or more like the molten lava cheese that squirts out and hits the roof of your mouth if you take a big bite too soon after you've cooked it. It happened after a long night of patrolling (my pay-as-you-go phone says it's 3:05 am right now); I got home from working my two jobs (messenger-slash-crimefighter, that's me), sore in every part of my body. It's a good thing bikers get pounded fairly frequently, so no one at my day job questions all the bruises. Anywho, I was so darn tired and ready for bed, and I tried to switch out of my combat outfit, and I couldn't do it; the clothes I created wouldn't budge. I tried again, and again, and the sweat starts popping out of my forehead. What the frick, right?

So finally I push and I push, feeling like a pregnant woman in a Lifetime Original Movie Event, when all of a sudden, it's like there's this 'pop' in the back of my head; not like an actual noise, but like a little balloon in my skull just burst, and it's like this warm liquid is flowing out of my head and into the rest of my body, and I feel all dizzy until I just sort of collapse.

Into a pool of primordial goo.

Unless you have ever been goo yourself (and I highly doubt you have), you have no idea how scary this is; your senses are all messed up, you can feel just how dirty the floor is (major eww), and your cats go crazy at the sight and I'm guessing smell of you.

It took about an hour to reform Goo-Me into Me-Me, the scariest hour of my entire life. What if I could never have a human shape again? I just found Ren, and it looked like I might lose him, before we even...well, you know (she blushes like a red, red rose)

So I've been just laying here for about an hour or so since the 'Goo Incident', and I seem to be pretty solid for now. As scary as that was, I can't help but wonder if this is something I could use, if I could only figure out how to control it. I could do all kinds of crazy stuff, like squeeze into and out of places, or have myself bottled as a health drink; ok, clearly I need sleep bad, because that was the sickest, most grossest joke in the history of ever. I think I'll skip work tomorrow; the rest of the Fleet will have to go on without me.

p.s. 'Goo-me' sounds like a TV show Ren would have watched as a kid; its theme song would be something like this:

Goo-me Goo-me Goo-me-san!

Something, something, she's not sushi

But possibly a soy product of some kind

Goo-me Goo-me-san!

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Grim has created two interlinked personas, slimy Lenny the Lifter, a sort of ageent to villains, and Whisper, his one and only client who specializes in breaking and entering. This tag team is part of her attempt to infiltrate the Freedom City Mob and get intel on the inside. 'Lenny' has recently encountered Violetta (aka Caprica Chill) and Sammy (aka the Ghost), and is attempting to sell them on the talents of his 'girl'.

Grim is determined to go in pretty deep, which might involve commiting a few unsavory acts; just how far is she willing to go in helping her mentor Nightrival get the bad guys? :?

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

April 19th, 2008

At first it was just a name I came up with that I thought sounded all cool and mysterious, the perfect name for a tough chick who can break into any bank in the world and get away scott free. But then I started to think about what it might symbolize, the idea of silence or words too soft to be heard.

And then I thought about death, and it scared the hell out of me.

I'm not the scrappy lil' street fighter I wish I was; I'm learning a lot from Rival, and he's been great and all, but I still can't hold my own in a fair fight against anyone more powerful than Joe or Jane Average, so I of course I try to avoid fighting fair whenever possible

But what if you were sufficiently creepy that no one wanted to fight you, like you were contagious or something? And it occurred to me that to most people, and certainly most bad guys, there is nothing scarier than death; we fear death almost like it was something you can catch or pass on to someone else, like bad luck or a really bad cold.

And that's when Whisper was truly born.

Edited by Heritage
  • 9 months later...

March 29th, 2009

So here I am, riding the rails back to Old F.C. once again. The last time I did this I was running away from home, but now it's perfectly clear: Freedom is my home, the one place in the world where I belong, the only city where I feel sane. In a few days, I'll be back where the people are flying, the monkeys are talking and it all somehow makes sense.

I was scared when I left, scared of what I could become, but I'm not scared anymore; evolution is part of nature, and it'd be crazy to try and stop it. I know my own heart and I know my own mind, and by those two bright stars I will navigate the sea of doubt, past the sirens and the rocks, and all the folks saying "You can't do that!"

I'm gonna try and forget about Seattle; not pretend like it didn't happen, but not letting in run my life, either. But it won't be easy. God, I miss Ren so much! Looking out the boxcar at the snowy fields of Indiana whipping past, I can almost feel his arms around me, his chin just barely resting on the top of my head...

Enough! Move on! The hurt's not going to go away, not for a while, but you can either mope and sulk and go all gothy, or you can do something now to make it better.

- - - -

Ok, I jumped and threw myself around the boxcar like a badger on speed, and it felt good. I am ready to find some street punk, stand invisibly behind him, and sucker-punch him while he's holding up a liquor store. That's what life is all about, boys and girls! That and getting stupid splinters in your hands from the inside of a stupid boxcar - grr! These things really itch.

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

April 4th, 2009

So today I decided to see how much has changed since I left town, so I boosted a copy of the Word (hey, it's 35 cents, get over it!) and scanned the stories; a lot of the guys I remember have either skipped town or are laying low, not sure which, but a few new names have popped up, like this goofy 'Geckoman' character. He sounds like a piece of work. Some poor sap's house blew up in Riverside a few days back, which sounds pretty damn nasty. And somebody is fightin' crime in my old turf, and what's worse, he's probably doing a much better job! Ooh, I hate when that happens!

And the last thing I read about before I dump the paper in the trash is about some wannabe 'goddess' who runs a bar in West End; now this I've gotta see...

Edited by Heritage
  • 1 month later...

The Residents of the Imperator Hotel

Most of the apartments listed below are only accessible through the outside windows; the doors to the hotel's inner hallways have been nailed shut, and are typically trapped with various devices (designed for the residents by Carmine) to discourage others from entering 'unannounced'.

Sixth floor residents:

Miss Melusine in 6 North is like some beautiful creature out of mythology. From the waist up she is a stunning woman, albeit with impressive clawed hands, but from the waist down she has the coils of a powerful serpent. She also appears to have wings like a bat, which she usually keeps closed; they don't appear to be large enough to allow her to actually fly. There is very little furniture in her set of rooms, mostly pieces of timber that crisscross the rooms to form perches, but there is a large and ornate bathtub as well.

Carmine the Super in 6 South is a human fly, complete with compound eyes and gossamer wings. His suite is filled with decaying garbage, but it is organized into neat bins. There is a great deal of very tacky furniture, as well as large amounts of A/V gear and electronics, much of it partially disassembled. One room is an improvised workshop, complete with soldering irons, handmade workbench and various supplies. A young man of maybe fourteen or fifteen lives in one room, the walls of which are plastered with salvaged movie posters; he owns a strange belt that appears to somehow negate gravity, and his legs look a bit feeble.

Miss Endicott in 6 East is humanoid in shape, but appears to be composed entirely of pale blue energy. She floats effortlessly from room to room, but apparently must still use doorways (all the doors have been removed, and lean against the wall in a disused room). The walls, floors and ceilings are all covered in writing, pale white words that Miss Endicott inscribes using the tip of one finger. A casual glance at the text suggests she is writing a rather epic 'bodice-ripper'.

Mrs. Frobisher in 6 West looks like a large fat slug who sort of rolls around her suite. There are layer after layer of rugs on the floor, all acid-bleached by the acidic slime oozing out of her body. She has a large collection of records, and plays them on a very old turntable, jerry-rigged to a set of mismatched speakers and somehow running off a set of old car batteries. Her singing voice is excellent.

Seventh floor residents:

Mr. Saxxon in 7 North looks like he's made out of rubber, but appears to have poor control over his stretchy body. Coils of arms and legs are spread all over the apartment, while his distorted head atop his long neck moves from room to room. Stacks of books are everywhere, but Saxxon pays them little mind, as he is obsessed with spying on his downstairs neighbor, Miss Melusine.

Miss Grimalkin in 7 South is a costumed crimefighter, who lives in a spartanly furnished apartment, complete with standing mirror, chin-up bar and a nice, big old bed. Three cats are also present. Other than a few pieces of clothing bearing the Fleet Messenger logo, no clothes are visible; there are no dressers and the closets are empty. The bathroom appears to be used primarily for storing food.

Mr. Davis in 7 East appears to be a more-or-less normal human, but his hair, skin and eyes are all neutral gray. He is also completely naked. The walls, floor and ceiling of his apartment are painted the same shade as himself. There is only one piece of furniture in the whole place, a white wooden chair in the middle of one room. Mr. Davis stands contemplating the chair, never moving or visibly breathing.

Mr. Rivian in 7 West has no body, but is merely an oversized human head with an eight-legged spiderlike robotic body. He scampers all over his apartment, on any surface, scrubbing and cleaning every square inch of the place; he's quite possibly a germaphobe. There is all the normal furniture one expects to find in a hotel suite, but it is all wrapped in plastic sheeting.

Penthouse resident:

Mr. Pitt is an elderly vampire who loves to listen to old jazz records. He leans heavily on a silver metal cane topped with a cast iron lion's head. All the windows are boarded up, and other than an eerie green fire in the fireplace, the rooms are all kept dark.

(Note: The above descriptions are based on Avenger's recon at the end of Between Monsters.)

Edited by Heritage
  • 4 months later...

September 12th, 2009

2:07 am

So I broke things off with Wesley last weekend. Crap - I hate myself for just typing that. So was it just summer fling with a good-looking, sweet nice guy? There were so many things I wanted our relationship to be, and somehow it just never happened. Was it too soon after Ren? Was I expecting too much of Wes, that he would somehow be the perfect boyfriend and make everything better? Was my first relationship after Ren doomed, and if so, did I just use poor Wes?

Oh man, I suck so much.

2:56 am

Okay, I'm back! All cried out again, for a while, at least. I hope.

Ugh, I hate this part - the autopsy.

Wes is a great guy, and he always will be, but we didn't talk about things; I know I held things back from him, like the weirdness that went down at Damien's last Friday night, but I think he held things back from me, too. Sometimes when we were in bed together, he got this weird-ass look in his eye, like he hated himself or was haunted by something. He didn't tell me everything about how he came to be what he is, but the bits he dropped were chilling.

So, too many secrets; was that why I ended it? No, not really; I actually don't think we're good for each other. On paper, opposites attract, but it doesn't always work that way; sometimes opposites really piss each other off. I can't speak for Wes, but sometimes his whole 'Southern gentleman' thing annoyed the hell out of me; I get impatient, and sometimes I don't have the time for someone to hold the door for me, I just want to be through it and on the street.

And the teammate thing was odd; everyone was totally cool with it, at least to my face, but it just felt...weird. I mean, it was nice to have Wes stroking the back of my hand during briefings, but just having PDA with Avenger and Phantom in the room was just the weirdest thing in the world, even though we kept it to a minimum.

But that's not the whole story, either.

I think, in my heart of hearts, I never felt I deserved Wes; it's a horrible thing to say, and I know he'd hate to be put on a pedestal like that, but in my gut it always felt true. I hope he finds a great girl with higher self-esteem than me. I will so miss the crazy sex stuff (and we barely scratched the surface!), but I will miss the quiet moments even more. Aw crap, time for another break!

3:22 am

God, I suck so much.

Ok, tissues are at hand now. I actually spelled-checked all the parts when I started crying, do you believe it?

So I dunno what to do now; I haven't talked with any of the other Knights for a few days. I think I might talk to Elena; hell, maybe I'll have her mindwipe us both, like in Eternal Sunshine (such an awesome flick, and no Oscar for Jim Carrey? For shame!). But that might be a bit much. The move out of the Tombs needs to happen now, I put it off forever, but now it will be too much. Or maybe Ace has like a ton of ice cream at his place, like in a giant walk-in freezer; I would so have one if I was that damn rich.

I still have Sirrius' number in my phone; I have flipped it open and looked at it like a thousand times this last week. I never called him when I got back from Faerie; that kiss was so damn weird, even without his foxy lips (Wes actually has foxy lips - sigh!) I know I'm gonna breakdown and call him soon, and will feel super-slutty and horrible, but hey, life or something like it goes on.

I'm so sorry, Wes.

:(

Edited by Heritage
  • 5 months later...

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Feisty Jewish pixie.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Grimalkin, Grim, Lil' Grimmie.

What is your full birth name?

Sherilyn (Shevon) Epstein. My Hebrew name means 'The Lord is gracious; I like it because it makes me sound like a backup singer.

Where do you live?

The Interceptors' HQ.

Why do you live there?

Are you kidding? It's The Real World: Freedom City, how could I refuse?

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

Flexibility. I adapt well to new people and situations.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My big mouth gets me into a lot of trouble.

Physical Traits

How old are you? (Chronological age as well as age category.)

What is your sex?

Female

What is your race?

White

How tall are you?

5' 3" (normally)

How much do you weigh?

116 lb (see above)

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

Itty-bitty

What is your skin color?

Fairly pale, but I can get a nice tan.

What is your hair color?

Brown

What is your hair style?

Short and pretty much all over the place.

Do you have any facial hair?

Um, no, how gross is that?

What is your eye color?

Brown, smoky and mysterious! :D

How attractive are you?

Depending on my mood, I'm either cute, pretty or hot most of the time. Yes, I can be shallow.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

I've been told it's my eyes, but I also think I have a cute butt!

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

Not anymore!

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

Right

Do you resemble some currently known person?

I've been told I resemble Natalie Portman, but I really don't see it.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Out of costume, I usually go for jeans, t-shirts and fatigue jackets, all of which I make myself.

Do you wear makeup?

I don't need to anymore; yay!

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

I sound a bit like a little girl who chain smokes, even though I'm neither of those things.

History

Where is your homeland?

America, though I'd love to visit Israel.

Are you aware of its history?

I have a freshman public high school education; what do you think?

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

A little bit of both, I guess.

What are your opinion of home?

Our country is pretty messed up, but I still think it's probably the best one around. Except maybe Canada ;)

Where is your home town?

Atlantic City, NJ (technically Ventnor City, just next door)

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

Probably.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

I would not kill anybody to keep a secret, but I might commit a misdemeanor or two.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

Something bad happening to my family.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

I've never been to ASTRO labs, but I'm wicked nimble.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

I spend most of my life running across rooftops.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

I'm white, so that was the majority, but as a Jew I was also definitely a minority.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

I think being a Jew made me a bit of a smartass, since I used humor to befuddle my enemies (aka stupid kids).

How do you feel about other races?

I was lucky neither of my parents is racist, so I was brought up pretty tolerant.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Jeez, where do I start? Try all of the above, and then some!

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

My father was nearly paralyzed when I was twelve; this event changed the rest of my life in ways you can't possibly imagine.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

The list would be pages long.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

I have most of my stuffed tiger (Rajah from Aladdin); bits of him have come off, but I fixed him with duct tape.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

I was obsessed with Aladdin for years growing up; I wanted to be Jasmine, because she was pretty, smart and independent.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Uh, does killing a guy count?

Are you who you claim to be?

Hell no!

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

I should, but I'm too sneaky for 'The Man'.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

Some of them are awesome, but some of them were probably jerks, too.

Family

Who were your parents?

Harold and Elaine Epstein

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Yes

What was their standing in the community?

Mom was pretty well thought of in our old neighborhood, but when we moved to the trailer park, she was feared! Dad is loved by pretty much everyone.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We moved once, right before my freshman year. It was awful.

How did you get along with their parents?

Hoo boy, there's a question! I love my dad (even though he's a bit of a putz), but me and mom don't really get along.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

"Sherry is a troublemaker; it took me years to clean-up her mess after she left!"

"I miss my little girl; I don't know why she has to do all these crazy things."

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

I have a brother named Ben who I love very much, and a sister named Edna (aka Eddi). Me and Ben were pretty tight until he went off to college, but me and Eddi fought a lot.

What was your birth position in the family?

Youngest, the little brat.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

What the? This question is insane, my family is huge! I have one uncle in LA, an aunt and crazy great aunt in Chicago, and two crazy criminal uncles in NJ, one of whom's in jail. There, that's all ya get!

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I'm closest to my dad's hooligan brothers.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I don't hate my mom, but we do not get along to well. I respect her more now that I'm older, though.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

I guess my dad is closest; he's always been unconditionally loving and supportive, and introduced me to tons of great music and stuff like Monty Python.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

That would be me ;)

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

Credit card fraud will do that.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

Two actually. My great-great-grandfather Karl was a New York mobster, but my great-grandfather Ira (on Mom's side) was a stage magician and part-time superhero!

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

Karl was a scary SOB, but Ira was very popular as the Amazing Al-Kazar.

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

When I was in high school, I was kinda obsessed with Karl Epstein and mob history in general. Ira Silberman was awesome.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

Yes I do.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

If I found out my kids would be some kind of hideous mutants, maybe.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

He would need to be funny, strong, not talk as much as me but still able to make me shut up. Hotness is always a plus.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

I tend not to have a lot of close friends, which surprises some people. Most of my friends I know from work, either normal or hero stuff.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

Uh, we beat people up together, and then go out for drinks. Chumminess ensues.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

My teammate and 'lovah', Colt. Save the sexy man!

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

Oh, this is kind of a continuation of the last question, I guess. Well, the sex helped me feel closer to Colt (heh heh), but I think fighting side-by-side builds a bond, just like in the war movies.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

I hate Nazis, so I would consider SHADOW to be my enemies. Also skinheads and some vampires.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

Uh, I'm Jewish and they're NAZIS; I think that pretty much sums it up. Vampires are mostly selfish violent jerks. Mostly.

Have you defeated them before?

Yes, I have triumphed!

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

Ah, they barely know I exist, which makes me sad.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

Interceptors are GO!

Who is your most trusted ally?

Colt.

Who do you trust, in general?

My current and former teammates. Atlas, too :)

Who do you despise and why?

See above, re: Nazis. Also any racists, homophobes, and greedy jerkwads.

Name seven things you hate in others.

Selfishness, smugness, prejudice, greed, bullying, wastefulness, gossip.

Is your image consistent?

Is that a joke? I'm a shapeshifter, you schmuck!

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

You're really not grasping the whole 'shapeshifter' concept, are you?

What would you die for?

My family, even my mom. Also my teammates.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Attempted rape.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

;)

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

Uh, you mean sneaky people with big mouths? Pretty good, unless it's in a boxing ring...

Have you lost any loves?

Yes.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

Pretty hard; I get moody and don't want to see anyone for a while.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

My family, my boyfriend, my current and former teammates, I hope.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

Pretty close, though Jack keeps his cards close to his chest.

What do they not know about you?

That I killed a man who tried to rape me.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

Uh, I live in the Brownstone. I cook kosher meals, help with shopping and fight crime.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

My Grampa Lou is still my hero; he was smart and funny, and he taught me magic tricks, and we used to watch old movies together. Also my Aunt Iris, who was so brave when she battled cancer, right up to the very end.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

The Amazing Al-Kazar and Sgt Shrapnel. Robin Hood was also cool.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

I was very unhappy to find out a former teammate was a vampire; still not very happy about that.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

After I saw a prostitute attacked and the cops didn't even care.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

I think that life is often unfair, and want to help tip the balance; I also like the people you meet and getting physical.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

If I allowed someone to die from my actions, or somehow inspired someone to commit a violent brutal act.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

I want to travel, inspire people but still cause mischief.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I would really like to be in a leadership position on a larger team; that would be awesome. Not like the captain, more like a lieutenant.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Jeez, I really can't think that far ahead. A mom, I guess?

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

I think I could do both easily, because I'm that cool.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

I guess I fear death, like most people, so that's not irrational. Otherwise, not too much. Does that mean I'm brave?

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

I fight harder.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

I think rich people are mostly a-holes, to be honest. I think money warps your perspective and makes you out of touch.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

When I actually have money, I share it, 'cause my own needs are pretty darn modest.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

I see it as trouble.

How do you generally treat others?

I think I'm pretty decent to most people.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

Not really; I can be very friendly with people I don't actually trust.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

Can I be both? Most people think of me as pretty extroverted, but I really like to have a lot of time to myself, and don't have a lot of friends.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I try to be humble, but my head gets a little big from time to time, then I have to smack myself upside the head and get over myself.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Not talking about problems and letting things fester.

What are your most annoying habits?

I'm nosy and a bit of a flirt. I also talk too much.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

I really don't like most of the rich people I've met, though I know one or two decent ones who buck the trend.

What is your favorite food?

Bagel and shmear; yes, I'm a good Jew.

What is your favorite drink?

Rum and Coke!

What is your favorite treat (desert)?

Strawberry cheesecake ice cream.

Do you favor a particular cuisine?

I like Indian food a lot.

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

I'm a wolfer, I admit it.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Is-a spicy!

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Pork, for obvious reasons. Gummi worms make me want to gag, too.

What are your favorite color(s)?

I like dark blue, hence my choice in costume!

Is there any color that you dislike?

Really bright orange.

Do you have a favorite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I like loud angry fast music, especially if it's sung by a girl.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Freshly baked bread.

What is your favorite type of animal?

I'm a cat person.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Nope, thank God.

Is there anything that enrages you?

Ignorance, bigotry, bullying.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

Sadly, not really.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I love making do with very little.

Do you have a patron deity?

That would be Yaweh.

Are you devout or impious?

I'm more or less observant, but sometimes I get weak. I was brought up Conservative.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

I don't attend temple as often as I should, but I think I mostly live my life according to the Torah.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

I would kill, to be honest, even though that's against a commandment.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

My mom, actually; her ability to have faith while studying science really impresses me. Also my Grampa Lou lived a quietly pious life filled with joy.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

I'm a Conservative Jew.

Will you kill?

I go back and forth on this one, but I killed once in the past, so I guess the answer is yes.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

When it was me or him, and I was alone and fifteen.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

In self-defense, to save the life of an innocent, or in a time of war against an oppressor.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Out of cruelty or because someone is different.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would punish them, and hopefully leave them alive.

What if it were your enemy?

See above.

What if it were your friend?

I would stop them, but not kill them. I couldn't even if I had to.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

I would attempt to knock them unconscious.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

Try to get it back, but stop short of violence. Trickery, however, would be encouraged.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

I would be very loud in my rebuttal. Also possibly deface the guy's car.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

I would mourn them and seek justice.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Kill a child. I would die first.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Killing a child or someone else who's defenseless. On a related note, I have very conflicted opinions about abortion.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

I think they mean well but mostly screw things up.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

Yes.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

I guess I would fight in a war, if I believed the cause was just.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy. I think Churchill said 'democracy doesn't work, but it's the best we've got'. I agree.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

I use my power over glamour to amuse myself, pretty much constantly.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

I like to come up with little outfits, and make stuff; I also use my evil pixie powers when I flirt, because I'm EVIL!

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

I tend to chew on my thumbnails, and also twist napkins into funny animal shapes.

What is your most treasured possession?

My little black cat with his witch hat. I love him so.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

1. Crazy sex with Colt. 2. Call my mom and tell her I love her. 3. Call as many of my friends as possible and tell them I love them. 4. Eat a whole pie. 5. Try to avenge my own death, if applicable; otherwise, get really drunk.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

I went to public school in Atlantic City and Egg Harbor Township.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

My mentor was Nightrival. I miss the big lug.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

We got along great.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

I have no idea where he is, and think about him a lot.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

Skated by on my bountiful charm.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Mostly practice, or by being an inhuman pixie freak!

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

I was a bike messenger and scam artist, but not in that order.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

I cheat.

Have you ever received any awards or honors?

Lots and lots of hugs.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Medical skills, so I'm useful after a fight.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

No, I think it's cool to see what other folks can do.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

I tend to sleep in, but I love to make breakfast and drink coffee on those rare occasions I'm up early. I love to read, especially at the library. I also love to watch cartoons, which makes sense 'cause I kinda am one now. Also the sex.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

Annoyed at first, but I get over it pretty quick.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

I love bike riding, movies and going to the library.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

I love history, I love Wikipedia, I love to go dancing.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

Sweats and/or jeans.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

I usually make either an oversized T-shirt or jammies.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

This has yet to come up. I'm guessing jammies.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

Other than the stuff I make out of glamour, no.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

In a duffel bag in my room.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

I actually pray when I'm not too sleepy (sadly a lot), I'm a good flosser and I like to read in bed.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

Not so much, no.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

Bicycle, roof-running and sometimes flight.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

No. I probably should, huh?

What does it say?

Right now I guess it's blank. I hope I can leave some money to charity someday, also my family.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

For trying hard to make a better place, even with all my screw-ups.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

None, I hope.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

What a horrible question! At this point, probably not :(

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

"Try and plan ahead, at least a little bit. You can do anything you want, so don't waste your amazing life just punching people in the face, as fun as that may be. Build something that lasts."

Edited by Heritage
  • 5 months later...

(From Lynn Epstein's journal)

July 20th, 2010

It's been a month since my 22nd birthday party, and I have yet to step into the Silberman's Books; you have no idea how much this pisses me off.

Elena's lawyers have been working with Grampa's lawyer in New York, and they say it shouldn't be too much longer before the case is resolved. I guess it's possible Aunt Deb will still contest it, but I hope not; in general, she's always been pretty law-abiding, so my fingers are crossed. The letter from Grampa Lou is crucial, but we had to be tricky with it, since some of the language could be used to prove Deb's case that he was unsound at the time he wrote it. You'd think in a city where people fly overhead all the frickin' time that a mention or two of time travel or Jewish mysticism would be less controversial, but what are you gonna do?

So, assuming all goes well and I do get to keep it, I've been thinking a lot about what kind of books I want to sell. Silberman's was always the cool store kids wanted to hang out at; not all the kids in the neighborhood, mind you, just the weirdos. I want to cater to the weirdos.

I have a reoccurring dream, not everyday or even every month, but I have it once or twice a year; I find this cool out-of-the-way bookstore that sells everything I like, and at good prices. I spend hours digging through boxes and shelves, finding more and more wonders, until I wake up, realize it's a dream, and then feel real sad for a while because this wonderful store doesn't actually exist. That is what I want Silberman's to be, or at least as close to it as possible.

So here is my dream list of stuff I want to stock on my shelves:

True crime books

Showbiz/Hollywood books and memorabilia

Magic tricks

Comic books and graphic novels (with back issues at fair prices!)

Roleplaying games (with a special room for gamers. Also snacks and pop for said gamers)

Board games (maybe) But no frickin' Stratego, because I HATE Stratego, thanks to my stupid cousin Ruthie >:(

Classic movies on DVD and maybe VHS(?) For sale and rent (maybe)

Mythology, folklore and books on the occult (but not the Satanic stuff!)

Mystery, horror, sci-fi and fantasy novels

Movie magazines

See? Exactly the kind of place I dream about! The tricky part is some of this stuff freaks concerned parents (i.e. total squares) out, so there might have to be an 'adults only' section; y'know, the kind of place that kids want to sneak into in search of the demon PORN! Yep, that's why I'll keep a special 'kiddie taser' behind the counter to keep them lil' varmints at bay!

(This is an obvious lie; it will, in fact, be a tranq gun.):P

I have no idea if there's still any stock in the store; I do think Great-Grampa Ira's stuff is probably still there in the back room under lock and key. The thought of that gives me the shivers, in a creepy/cool way.

Here's hoping it's all mine soon!

Edited by Heritage
  • 4 months later...

Grim's Guide to Her Crazy Relatives

Dad's Side

Bernard and Maria Epstein: Grampa Bernie is a sweet old guy who put up with a lot of grief from his very Jewish family when he knocked up Grammie Marie, who was his very Italian/Catholic secretary at the wholesale furniture business his family's run for fifty years (Interesting sidenote: it once belonged to my mom's side of the family, which made her marrying my dad a huge issue back in the day, due to bad blood between the Epsteins and the Silbermans going back to Prohibition). Giving in to pressure from Maria's family, their kids were baptized and raised Catholic, though Bernie insists on observing Passover, which my mom sarcastically refers to as 'magically becoming Jewish for seven days a year.' Though they're getting on in years, they're both still pretty sharp and love their three boys and many grandkids.

Sid and Clara Epstein: Uncle Sid is my dad's older brother, and he is pretty much 'the boss' on the Epstein side of things, looking out for his two brothers, his folks and the whole extended Epstein clan. Aunt Clara comes from a nice Italian-American family in Atlantic City, and has several brothers and sisters, which means I have more Italian-blooded cousins than I can count. They have a big house in Atlantic County (Sid owns a chain of car dealerships as well as part of the furniture business), where most of the family get-togethers are held. Uncle Sid looks a bit like Ray Liotta with a receding hairline and piercing blue eyes that scare the crap out of people who don't know him well. I love Sid, though he's a fairly strict parent, so I wouldnt have gotten away with much growing up in his house.

Karl Epstein: Uncle Karl is Dad's little brother, and he's been in and out of jail more times than I can remember. He has a really bad stutter, and everyone thought he was 'slow' growing up, so he finally gave up and dropped out of high school (like me); later on they found out he just has really bad dyslexia. He's had trouble keeping a steady job because of his record and his learning challenges, but he sure as hell ain't dumb; back when I was having my horrible freshman year from hell, he taught me how to defend myself and fight back, skills that are still helping me today. Karl is actually super-sweet and I hope he finds a nice girl someday; he looks a bit like the late great Bruno Kirby, the little guy from City Slickers.

Mom's Side

Jerome and Deborah Plotkin: Uncle Jerry is an Orthodox rabbi; Mom's older sister Deb met him in college, and converted to Orthodox Judaism before she married him. Uncle Jer is surprisingly mellow, though Aunt Deb can be a real harpy; I still love them, though me and Deb go at it from time to time, and she didn't want me to get Grampa Lou's bookstore. They live in Freedom and have four kids who I get along with okay.

Joseph and Lucille DiCosta: Uncle Joe married my mom's little sister Iris many years ago, and they both converted to Reform Judaism as a compromise (Joe was a fairly lapsed Catholic); this was sometimes an issue between Iris and Deb, but mostly they got along. Aunt Iris died of cancer in the late 90s, which hit the whole family hard because she was so young and we all loved her so much; contrary to Deb's expectations, Joe did not renounce Judaism, and in fact his second wife even converted! For these and many other reasons, Joe is seen as a real mensch by my family. They live in Chicago, and have kids by both marriages; I love all the DiCostas very much.

Abraham and Tanya Silvers: Mom's little brother Abe changed his name from Silberman to Silvers shortly after he moved out west, and converted to a Methodist when he married Aunt Tanya; even though he's a very successful entertainment lawyer, he is not well thought of by my family. Tanya's a former 'model/actress' with bleached-blonde hair and a hideous spray-on stripper tan. Uncle Abe rarely makes it to family functions, though he always sends huge bouquets or super-expensive gifts with a note apologizing for his absence. His family lives in a gated community in Brentwood, and his two kids are spoiled rotten; Uncle Joe's family goes out to visit him fairly often, but they're pretty much the only ones who do.

My Own Family

Harold and Elaine Epstein - My mom and dad. Dad was in a band called the Defenders, and Mom saw him perform when she and a few friends went out for drinks one Christmas eve; Mom was pretty drunk, it seems, and she was very impressed when Dad lead the rest of the band in a number of Johnny Cash numbers, as she'd been a closet country western fan since her teens. Not known for impulsive behavior as a rule, Mom ended up in Dad's motel room, and well, some folks call it destiny. Mom studied physics at Princeton, Dad drove a forklift at his family's wholesale furniture warehouse; clearly they come from different worlds. But they've stuck together through good times and bad, and somehow they make it work. Dad still likes to party, has a thining salt-and-pepper pontytail and has been wheelchair bound for several years due to a back injury; he's also half-Italian and goes by 'Butch'. Mom is beautiful in a sort of icy way, with pale gray eyes and a gray streak in her shoulder-length dark hair. They share a love of country music and Star Trek.

Ben and Sarah Epstein - My older brother and his wife. Ben is the most straight-laced member of the family, who went to law school in New York and married a nice Jewish girl from Queens. He's always been a bit of nerd, into roleplaying games and Harry Potter, but he rarely talks about it in public. Sarah is sweet but pretty conventional, and we don't always have a lot to talk about, but she's a good cook and a good mother (they have three kids - how time flies!)

Eddi Epstein - My big sis. Me and Eddi haven't always gotten along; in fact, I hated her as a teenager, but we do okay nowadays. Eddi has fallen in and out of love more than anyone I've ever met; she has two kids by different fathers and is still actively single. She's a CNA who works in a nursing home, a job she loves but she'd got rotten hours; luckily, Mom and Dad are good babysitters. One other thing; Eddi is as curvy as I am flat-chested, which drove me crazy growing up! She can be a bit of a ball-buster, but her heart's usually in the right place.

Edited by Heritage
  • 3 years later...

Key Staff at Silberman's Books

http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/uploads/monthly_2015_12/large.5G11f0N-1.jpg.ce2ef30c1a440eb3fd601e37880bb6dd.jpg

Gretchen McDaniels - Assistant manager, bookseller, musician, producer. Hates retail, hates people but seems to know simply everything related to the performing arts. Frequently engages in pointless trivia wars with fellow employees. Good with machines, and the only person who can actually fix the damn register.

killer-women-04.jpg

Lance Bettendorfer - Bookseller. Nice guy, good at general repairs and a certifiable coffee bar genius. The subject of much customer and staff speculation.

maddy.jpg

Maddy (Madelyne Evans) - Bookseller extradordinare, reads at least three books a week. Unfinished Masters in English Lit, raising a son with her girlfriend Christine in the West End.

RECENT HIRES

Sam (Samantha Lawrence) Part-time bookseller, former criminal, superhero

Samuel (Samuel Steiner) Archivist, researcher. Contractor, not full-time.

FORMER EMPLOYEES

cred0.jpg

'Cred0' (Stephen Marcus Lang) - Maintains the store's website, Facebook page and in-house computer network. Seems to spend most of his time on his laptop, slurping espresso or begrudgingly resetting the Wi-Fi for customers. Sometimes rings people up.

kiki.jpg

Kiki aka Katherine Knox - Assistant manager, inventory manager and Lynn's solid right hand. A professional dancer by night, which pays almost nothing, but a dedicated bookseller by day. One of Lynn's oldest and rare non-superhero friends.

mrsnussbaumjpg.jpg

Mrs. Nussbaum Part-time bookseller, baker of amazing foodstuffs. Supplies all the bakery items in the glass case as well as providing her famous soups. Local widow and booklover, incredibly sweet.

Edited by Heritage
  • 8 months later...

From the Secret Blog of Gretchen McDaniels

March 15th, 2015

So I have to put this down somewhere, right? My boss is insane; I've known this for some time, but now I have proof. She shared with us her 'terrible secret', which I'd mostly figured out other than being wrong about all the details. She is the freak I thought she was all along.

So I Googled her; she used to be a total badass, but now she's pretty much a soccer mom. I confronted her with this information, along with much proof of her current lameness. I presented a plan of action to reverse this process, volunteering myself as her personal crime-fighting assistant. She said yes; the journey begins.

Today she announced that in honor of the Ides of March (?!), she is initiating the Cato project: inspired by a series of movies starring Peter Sellers in the 70s, my boss is going to start attacking me, pretty much at random. She will use a wide array of disguises, and at no time will I be safe. In addition, she will begin training me in her private gym, aka the creepy room above her garage. The point of this, she said while evilly sipping her peppermint mocha, is to toughen me up. She thinks my new job will put me in danger; since she will now be attacking me, I guess she is right. Evil has whipped cream on its nose.

Edited by Heritage

March 21st, 2015

I cannot trust the homeless. Or cute guys who hit on me at the library(?!), or women with big maps asking for directions, or sweet little old German ladies or fat Boy Scouts selling candy. All have turned out to be the Enemy. Why does she have the time to follow me around; doesn't she have a store to run? Classes to attend? Crime to fight?

She told me during last night's workout that this will only last until the end of the month, and then things will more or less return to normal.

I sure hope so; last night I was attacked by a bench.

Edited by Heritage

March 27, 2015

Last night I finally managed to pop Boss Lady right in the kisser; I've never seen anyone so happy to get a split lip.

She was trying something different: instead of a disguise, she'd gone invisible, and when Boss Lady doesn't want to be seen, brother you don't see nothin'. I began to sense a presence, like a quick flash of movement out of the corner of my eye or a icy fingers going down my spine.

Something was out there, and it was out to get me.

Finally at one point, when I couldn't bear it any longer, I just spun around and hauled off with a solid punch, and I connected: wham. Then I heard someone fall and then a burst of laughter. And there she was, laid out on the ground and rubbing her jaw, blood trickling out of the corner of her mouth and the biggest s###-eating grin on her face. That was awesome. I'm so proud of you.

See? Insane.

She called off the Cato project early and took me out to dinner at this real swanky restaurant in Riverside. We polished off two bottles of wine and I only threw up a little.

It was a pretty good day. 

Edited by Heritage
  • 10 months later...

Tuesday, March 8th.

I never knew Gretchen could be so...nice. And gentle and thoughtful and sweet.

We don't have a name for what we're doing yet. Well, *I* don't anyway; Gretch has labeled this time as our 'Initial Machine Experiments', which makes it sound much kinkier than it actually is. It's all about 'systemic desensitization', you see, i.e. getting used to each other, and she made this hilarious chart and put it up on my fridge. You'd think this scientific approach would feel cold and clinical, but oddly enough it makes me feel safe and protected; the level of detachment helps keep the hint of panic at bay, that part of me that's terrified of moving forward, being happy and letting Bill go.

By mutual agreement, she hasn't moved in yet, though she does have a drawer and a shelf in the medicine cabinet. She stays over a lot, and we snuggle on the sofa and fall asleep in a tangle of limbs. But not the bed yet, even though part of me *really* wants to; sharing a bed, even just to sleep in side by side, is a whole other level of intimacy that's just...

But soon. Soon.

Edited by Heritage