Earth Victoriana: On Track

The shock Dee had received had shaken her so she was only partially aware of her surroundings, even after Ulysses had managed to eliminate the smoke screen Annie Key had deployed.  But the young Englishwoman was eventually able to focus on the scene as Ulysses, apparently under the control of some other force, grasped the young Annie and appeared ready to pass judgment on her.

Standing back upright, Dee looked over at Ulysses as he seemed to manage some level of control, at least releasing Annie (if roughly) and asking her to knock him out, with the force that seemed to be trying to control him once more.  "Sorry, while I certainly do not agree with her methods, I actually find myself in agreement with Miss Key on a number of things she said."  The Englishwoman stated as she focused on Ulysses and sent a blast of red mental energy at him.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Ulysses slumped to the floor, out cold, dropping Annie with her, who crawled out of the powerhouses grip. She pulled her gun free, and pionted it at Synapse. 

"Why? Why did you do that?" she asked, disorientated from both the fall of Ulysses and the words of Synapse. 

"Are you a sister in the struggle?...you don't need to be a slave anymore, sister....you have the gifts of a guru, a psychic, a medium...use them! Tear down this oppressive civilization! We don't need anyone to tell us what to do! Let civilization burn, like Rome!"

She struggled up, rivet gun in her hand, but less than clear what to do. She had it pointed at Synapse, but it seemed half hearted at best. 

Dee focused her gaze on Annie Key, the red glow of telekinetic energy still surrounding the young Englishwoman. "I said I agreed with some of the things you said, but I certainly do not agree with your methods." She began. "You are intelligent, and a talented mechanic, I know, I have taken apart a number of your bombs and traps thus far. You should be using that intelligence and skill to help make the India and the world a better place for everyone, not killing those you feel are oppressing you, even if they are oppressing you."

"I come from a world that is very different than this one. In my world, a man named Mahatma Gandhi led a movement of nonviolent civil disobedience to gain India's independence from the British Empire. You meanwhile, cooperate with men that wish to bring death and misery to as many as they can. I know, I have looked into the mind of one of the priests of Khali that led me here. Are these really the people you want to be remembered as associating with?"

GM

A sly look came over Annie as she listened. 

"Other worlds? Free? This...this I would like to see..." she confessed. "I had heard rumors, myths of other worlds. The Royal Society of Metaphysical Engineering...Miss Henrietta Wells....As usual, the society would not accept a woman to their 'hallowed' ranks..." she spat. 

"She had found these other worlds?" she asked, clenching her fist. "Where there is freedom? Real freedom? No armies, no money, no oppression?" she asked, almost angry with herself for believing such a utopia existed. But then, Annie Key seemed to have plenty of anger damned up - or pouring out - about anything and everything. 

Dee gave a small frown at Annie's questions, for they involved concerns that the young Englishwoman had had about her own world plenty of times.  Of course, after getting a small look at what Annie's was like, Dee was not about to take her own for granted, even if there was still tremendous room for improvement.  "There are any number of other worlds.  I don't think anyone knows how many truly exist, and the number may well be infinite."  She began as a reply.  "My world is far from perfect, I will be among the first to admit that.  I wish I could say we were free from all those concerns and troubles, but we still have a lot of work to do as well.  There is still far too much oppression and poverty in far too much of the world, but there are plenty trying to do what they can to address that in peaceful and constructive ways." 

GM

Annie carefully considered Dee's words, a drawn out affair. 

"Well....I have no love for this world, or the world after" she answered. "If you can give me your word of honor you will take me to your world...then..."

She did not like the words. They burnt her lips as they left. Her eyes gazed away, again furious with herself. 

"...then I will stop what is coming" she said, angry. "Although it hurts me so. I am selling out, a traitor to myself and my cause. But...dammit, your put to tasty a morsel on my plate. Now I taste the freedom you offer, I cannot spit it out. But tell me..would I be free there?"

Dee's jaw tightened slightly as Annie stated she would help stop the Thuggee plot if she could be taken from this dimension back to the one Dee and Ulysses were from. On one hand, the Englishwoman was glad that Annie was willing to be reasoned with, to a degree. But on the others, she worried some about brining someone as potentially dangerous as Annie back to her own world. It was possible Annie might like things well enough to make some sort of honest path for herself, but then she might become bored, or not feel it is as free as she would like, and take up terrorism anew.

"Well, we certainly would not have jurisdiction to throw you in prison for what you have done over here." Dee finally began. "If you help us stop whatever the Thuggee have planned, I will bring you back with us. How much freedom you have once there, that will really depend upon you. If you choose to follow a similar path as you have done here, you might find your freedom coming to an end quicker than you would like. But if you put your talents to other uses, I would think you will have a lot of choices before you."

GM

"Its tempting, I confess. If nothing else, I will no longer be hunted. I don't mind dirt and grease and engine oil, but a cave is not the best of homes. I would not recommend it" she replied, warming slightly. 

"The Thugee are just pawns, a movement wrapped up in themselves. I have no interest in them as anything other than tools. What I do, is for me, and by me"

"The Railroad was my aim. I have devised something to rip it from the ground, bend and render it, from here to the far west. A steam automaton, twenty feet high, solid steel. It..."

She paused, torn but also worried. 

"...it will not be easy to stop. Even for me..." she confessed. "It is hidden in the mountains, and will, soon, activate. It's clock is ticking..."

"I have been covered in my share of grease and engine oil myself, but I'll have to take your word on living in a cave."  Dee replied with a half grin.  "As for the Thugee, you might see them that way, but I can assure you, they fully believe you are devoted to their cause."

The Englishwoman's faint grin faded quickly as Annie vaguely described her latest plan for the railroad.  "Wonderful."  She said flatly as she looked over to Ulysses unconscious form.  "We are going to need him in that case.  Hopefully he will be in a more reasonable state after this little nap."  And with that, she moved over to try to rouse the sleeping steam powered hero.

Ulysses eyes fluttered open, hand moving instinctively to nurse his aching noggin as he groggily sat up  "ooff...thats a heck of a brain punch you've got there Synapse." he says massaging at his temples "Like a hangover without getting tanked." he comments, in slight amusement as he gets uneasily back on his feet; Catching a glimpse on annie slightly bruised and bedraggled sends a small pang of guilt through him which is then highly excaberated by the agonized groans of the goons behind her.

"...For what its worth im really sorry that happened." he says matter of factly, not quite willing to admit to himself he actually did such terrible things just yet. "That bugger snuck up on me when we were in the tunnel and before i knew it i was in a brain-nelson getting reprimanded for taking "the long way around." and hurling boulders." he says trying to explain and perhaps justify his indefensible behavior.

"its nice to see everything worked out OK in the end though" he says with the shape of a grin on his lips.

"I still think there are some things going on here that we are not fully aware of."  Dee commented as Ulysses tried to explain what had happened to him.  She was relieved that for the moment he seemed to be back under control and hoped that it would stay that way.  The Englishwoman then glanced over her shoulder at Annie as the steam powered hero focused on her and mentioned things working out.  "Yeah, about that...Annie is willing to help us now, in return for transport back to our dimension when this is all said and done."

"But problem is, Annie already set some big things in motion to try to finish off the railroad, once and for all."  Dee then added.  "So, we still have some work to do, and she will help us as best she can."

GM

A trek to the mountains later...

It was hot, hard work to trek, and the roads were less than suitable for horseless chariots. Instead, small tough mountain donkeys were the way to travel. Slow, but steady and sure footed. 

The ground sloped higher and higher, the grass gave way to rocks, and even the air lost some of its heat as they ascended. 

"This is it..." whispered Annie, as somebody could hear them. She pointed upwards - a short climb ahead....more rocks.

But wait...

Not just rocks. With the same grey stone colour, one could just see it. Well camouflaged, but once you knew what to look for...

It was indeed twenty feet high. A cast iron robot, hissing slightly from the steam that lumbered inside it. It was crude, but large, and effective, standing on the side of a mountain. It was at least vaguely humanoid - with two powerful arms, a head, and four, yes, count 'em, four legs, sprawled onto rocks and crevasses. 

And it was thirty feet up a mountain...

"hmm...thats quite impressive." Ulysses states matter of factly as he dismounts from his donkey, giving it an affectionate pat on the head as memories of weekends train rides to and from the sea side swim hazily into the his mind and back out again. "why four eyes and legs? not that it really matters but I'm curious." he asks before returning his attention to the automaton on the mountainside.

"I could run up there and try to yank it down..." he muses to himself. as he turns the problem over in his head "If the plan is even to destroy it." he adds.

Edited by Exaccus

GM

"I gave you my word, did I not?" said Annie Key angrily. "That robot is the sum of much labor, sweat, and hard work. It is very finely calibrated...it is a clockwork masterpiece!" she said, anger infused now with pride. 

"I will rue its destruction, but, and not without pain, that was the deal I struck. May I never come to regret that deal" she said, a sly look at Synapse. 

She put her head to the rocks, listening intently. 

"It is still...ticking..." she said. "I think we have got here just in time. When the clock chimes, it will head straight to the railroad, and beginning tearing it up, running along the track, ripping it, wood and steel, from the ground, until it reaches its end..."

"And then, of course, it would have blown up!" she added, happily. 

Dee took a few deep breaths after the climb up the rocks as she looked the direction Annie indicating, taking a moment to spot the machine, and frowning as she spotted it. "Bloody marvelous." The Englishwoman stated with a hint of admiration as she looked back at Annie. "And I will up hold my end of the deal, I hope you will find what you are looking for in our world."

She then looked back up at the machine as Ulysses mentioned going up there to break it. "Yes, we certainly will want to break it, but let's not rush into this just now." She glanced back at Annie. "Is there any way we can try to shut it down before it activates?"

"Hmm Alright then...ill get ready to try and impede it if that doesn't work out." as he turns to regard the rugged terrain of the mountain "Not a lot of room up here though...try and take care of its legs if nothing else..be a shame to have to run back down this mountain after it...or worse yet, have to climb back up if it knocks one of us off." he adds solemnly as he braces himself, planting his feet heavily into the stone bellow and preparing himself to receive the charge as it were. 

"Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst." he explains "Not that i don't have faith in you." he says mostly to synapse.

GM

Up the mountain, a short climb later...

It did not take the three long to scale the thirty feet, and it was not a tricky climb, more of a scale up a slope which was littered with handholds and footholds. Tumbling down it, however, would not be much fun. 

The robot was impressive close up as down below. It was painted stone grey, but was steel and brass and copper, full of gears, springs, and the rumbling of steam. 

Tick tock tick tock...

And it was ticking...

"Best not delay...time is short..." huffed Annie, a little short on breath after the climb. 

Dee once again looked at a marvel of antiquated technology with a slight hint of amusement.  While Annie's work was certainly precise and well done, it still was done with what was in Dee's mind, old technology.  Of course, that did not prevent it from being very dangerous, which Annie had certainly proved with her other work.

"Alright, I'll follow your lead then."  Dee replied as she prepared to help Annie try to disarm the thing before it activated.  "Just tell me what needs to be done."

While she was speaking with Annie, Dee sent Ulysses a mental message.  Keep a close eye on this thing, in case we fail to stop it in time, or Annie is trying to double cross us here.

GM

Annie went to work on the robot, opening it up to peak inside. Her rivet gun swiftly removed the metal plating in its chest, to reveal some highly elaborate clockwork apparatus. In their home dimension, such mechanics would be impossible, but in Earth Victoriana, steam and brass and copper had quite different engineering properties. Here, it worked. 

"This is the tricky part..." she mumbled, reaching in to the giant robot. 

Tick Tock Tick Tock Tiiiiiick....

Tock....

"Oh dear..." complained Annie, as the clock stopped, and the giant robot grumbled into life...

Dee had to marvel some at the sheer impossible complexity of the steam and clockwork creation, a feat that would have been impossible normally.  But then, if she had wanted to try to build something similar back home, she would have used rather different materials.  But then when the clock stopped ticking and the clockwork robot began activating, the Englishwoman frowned.  "Bloody..."

She and Annie were in a rather precarious spot, sitting atop the robot and trying to defuse it.  They were rather likely to end up tumbling from it once it started moving, down the thirty foot cliff.  So Dee surrounded herself with the red glow of her telekinesis as she focused it on being able to lift as much as possible.  Reaching over, she grabbed a hold of Annie's arm.  "Hold still."  She stated, as she then lifted both of them into the air with her mind, moving them quickly away from the robot and back down to the bottom of the cliff.

Releasing Annie when the landed, she glanced back up, hoping that Ulysses would be alright, but figuring he could easily handle a fall from that distance. 

GM

"Whoa! What is this? What are you doing!" screamed Annie in fear as she departed the side of the mountain. Disorientated would be the word. Although scared might also be added. 

Settling down on the ground, she pulled out her Rivet Gun and fired a spray of bolts upwards, but she was clearly shaken by the flight, her copper balls splattering across the mountain, but missing the robot. 

"How did you do that? With wires? Like the stage magicians?" she asked, green in her face. 

The Giant Robot shook all four of its legs, like it was awakening. Its power was immense, a match for Ulysses. Rock and rubble dislodged, tumbling to the ground, and a slab of mountain fell away from Ulysses grip, threatening to send him tumbling to the ground with the rest of the rock...

Ulysses grits his teeth and with a mighty roar thunders forth to meet the encroaching colossus of steel and steam, straining against its might with every ounce of his own not inconsiderable strength he manages to not only hold his crumbling ground but with a mighty twist hurl the machine from the mountain side sending it tumbling to the ground below him, still slightly angry with himself for letting that monster in his mind complain about him taking too long to deal with the problems before him he presses his advantage, fearlessly flinging himself from the mountain and hurtling down towards his prone opponent like a meteorite trailing steam and debris.

he hits the automaton like a bomb, landing squarely on the bulk of its midsection with an almighty KRAAAANG! cratering the ground bellow its bulk and sending a surge of dust and debris racing out from beneath it across the landscape,  able to get a good luck at his satisfying elbow shaped impact before he rebounds from the recoil and lands with a thoom upon his two feet not far away.

Edited by Exaccus

"Wires? How would I bloody get wires staged out here at a moment's notice?" Dee asked as she released Annie. "That was all the power of my mind, telekinesis." The Englishwoman then glanced back toward the mountain side as Annie fired at her creation and missed (not seemingly on purpose).

In any event, it did not matter, as Ulysses was able to throw the automation off the cliff and down to the ground, quickly following up by executing an elbow drop that badly damaged the robot. Dee began to smile, feeling that they seemed to have things well in hand. Until she heard the ticking of the clock inside the robot change, as it started to sound like a countdown, as opposed to just the passage of time.

"You said this was rigged to blow up when it was done right?" She asked Annie, although she really already knew the answer. "I think that self-destruct mechanism has just been triggered ahead of time."

Glancing over to see where Ulysses was in relation to the robot, Dee took a slight step forward as she lifted up both hands and focused on the space around the robot, pushing her mind as she had never really had before. Her eyes glowed with red psychic energy, as did her hands, as a large glowing dome of telekinetic energy formed over the downed robot. One Dee hoped was strong enough to contain the blast.

GM

"Telekenesis? You mean like a psychic or a medium?" said the confused Annie. "Thats..."

Alas, her thoughts on the matter would never be known, for she was rudely interrupted by her creation exploding. 

And the explosion was rude. Synapse could only hazard a guess as to how much TNT or other explosive was loaded in the Robot, but it must have been considerable. It would have produced untold destruction to life, limb, and architecture if they were in a crowded urban area. 

As it was, it completely ripped asunder Synapses telekinetic cage, blowing air, soot, steam and fire in all directions, not to mention shrapnel from the obliterated robot. 

"...by the many arms of Kali...I didn't know I had put that much in!" squealed Annie, her mohican singed and face black with soot. 

Ulysses was quite taken aback by the sudden construction of the force dome around his foe but even more so by its sudden explosion and the shattering of Synapse's construct barly having time to shield himself with his arms  as the wave of heat and shrapnel rushes out from the epicenter towards him. Mercifully spared any chunks that might have compromised his sturdiness he is little worse for wear than needing a a new set of civilian clothes.

Looking around somewhat dazed he manages to wander over to a fairly large chunk of the robot and rapping his knuckles against it produces a *Ding-Ding!* sound from the warped steel.

"And the winner is.....us!" he bellows merrily.