Looking for someone to help me co-GM something

RobRX

What sort of duties would you be expecting of the co-GM?

Maybe advice me and, hopefully, help me correct any mistakes? And offering some veteran input on what makes a good thread as well as the do and don't. It really depend on what I might run.

Edited by RobRX

1. Learn the OOC conventions for combat we have here. 

2. Work in collaboration with players (its not your story or module, you create it together). 

3. Dont force players down your vision of the story, have the story follow the players

4. Dont over-plan. You need very little planning at all in a PbM game when you have time to ponder, adapt, and wing it. 

5. Dont sweat it (many threads fail, its not automatically the GMs fault)

Above all, enjoy it. 

EDIT: And also, dont take advice to seriously. There is no right way to play RPGs, people have different agendas and different styles, find your own, find people who overlap with yours, and be polite to people who want something different out of their RPG!

1. Learn the OOC conventions for combat we have here. 

2. Work in collaboration with players (its not your story or module, you create it together). 

3. Dont force players down your vision of the story, have the story follow the players

4. Dont over-plan. You need very little planning at all in a PbM game when you have time to ponder, adapt, and wing it. 

5. Dont sweat it (many threads fail, its not automatically the GMs fault)

Above all, enjoy it. 

EDIT: And also, dont take advice to seriously. There is no right way to play RPGs, people have different agendas and different styles, find your own, find people who overlap with yours, and be polite to people who want something different out of their RPG!

I see, thanks for the advice. Perhaps I'm still too much stuck in my IRC and tabletop mentality, I hadn't even considered that PbP gives me more time to think things out.

Well as Oscar Wilde said, the only thing to do with advice is to pass it on, it is of no use to oneself! ;)

I'm sure tons of people here will be happy to help, but at the end of the day, its learning what works for you! 

(Although having said that, yes, PbM does differ from tabletop. For instance, on the down side you cant pick up non-verbal cues from each other, On the upside, it is extremely suited to "winging it"/improv as you have plenty of time to consider what happens)

Well as Oscar Wilde said, the only thing to do with advice is to pass it on, it is of no use to oneself! ;)

I'm sure tons of people here will be happy to help, but at the end of the day, its learning what works for you! 

(Although having said that, yes, PbM does differ from tabletop. For instance, on the down side you cant pick up non-verbal cues from each other, On the upside, it is extremely suited to "winging it"/improv as you have plenty of time to consider what happens)

I am more used to IRC games, which are like this but with a faster pace. The other issue that makes me worried to start a thread is that I have five years to catch up to; I wouldn't be able to know what I am allowed to use, what I am not and what's changed from the old Freedom City books.

We are thinking about a condensed catch up sheet, consider your point a reminder! :)

Arichamus has a neat list of current active heroes that is worth peeking at. 

If you are using any cannon NPCs here, you need to run it past the refteam in a global pm. Equally, if you are doing anything with any long term consequences, the same applies. That being said, most threads do not need to be run past the refteam, they use custom NPCs either built based on archetypes or created on the fly here, and don't have major implications for the campaign

I hope that answers your question? as always, chat is a great resource!