It's Still a Planet to Me [IC]

trollthumper

Silvia draws her sword, growing tired of this creature.

"Let us see if this beast bleeds."

She walks forward, undaunted. A marching pace rather than a rush into the fray, tightly controlled behind the captain's iron gaze.

She swings as soon as the monster is in arm's reach, the burst of violence not reaching her calm stare. Her swing is formidable for a human, its raw impact knocking her foe back enough for her to keep her walking pace unabated as she lashes out another blow across the creature's chest, cutting true as she readies another blow.

Solar Sentinel capitalized on the strike and blasted the creature as hard as he could. A surge of azure energy poured from his body and rocked the Mi-Go. He felt, at long last, like he was contributing to the fight. He knew his power needed to grow, now. His presence in Freedom City, on Earth, made him realize that he had let his strength plateau. It was time to move forward, and upward.

Pluto

The insect twitched and danced as Solar Sentinel's blast connected with its carapace. The lightning cannon barely held in its grip, nearly falling to the floor. That was all the opening Cavalier needed. He let loose another volley, with more of a loose pattern - it wasn't quite "pray and spray," but it would cover more of an area over the target's body. The blast hit the creature all over, knocking it off of its many legs and into the far wall. It twitched once, then lay still.

"All right," he said. "Let's see what we can get from this guy..."

Earth

Foreshadow leapt from the apartment, swiftly taking to the rooftops. The signal, as Sage had triangulated it, wasn't that far, and already, he could get a glimpse of the figure she'd picked up. At first, it looked mostly humanoid - but then it turned, as if showing its profile, and he detected the blurred motion of wings and legs. It took off, leaping but not flying, as if it was still trying to readjust to the kinetics of extra limbs.

As the creature goes down, Silvia cleans her blade with a whizzing swing, then puts the weapon away and takes a thick glove from a pouch at her belt, pulling it to with her teeth.

No telling what this thing can do. Best not to touch it.

She lets out a low hum, scanning the vessel for any other creatures like it, or more incapacitated crew, then moves along, back towards her ship. "Come along. We haven't time to waste."

Aboard, she hurls the creature into the brig, and directs her crew from there, keeping an eye on the creature personally. She directs her men to the remaining crew, who are to be taken aboard and made as comfortable as vegetables can be made, and directs them to take aboard the mining vessel's cargo. While that's going on, she directs a couple more men to try and find contact information for the mining craft's superiors, to send them a transmission on the location of their downed craft and the status of the crew.

"For the moment, we may be forced to utilize Earth's medical technology to assess the injured," she says to her new comrades in arms. "Primitive though it may be. We will attempt to contact more competent assistance in the interim."

• 2 weeks later...

"Couldn't have put it better myself," said Cavalier. "Of course, that leaves the question of our insect buddy here." He got closer to the downed creature, trying to inspect it as best he could. As far as he could tell, the head was less chitin and more composed of a semi-rigid substance, coated in something like velveteen. "Never encountered anything like this guy before, so I'm not sure how long he'll stay down. Let's see... there's got to be cable on a ship like this..."

After finding the material and making sure the insect was properly bound - as best he could - Cavalier aided the others in bringing the miners to the sick bay. It was relatively easy to use - most Lor medical facilities were semi-automated, to the point that all one had to do was lay the patient down. The medreader swiftly spat out a storm of excited noise - at least, that was what it sounded like to Stormbreaker and Solar Sentinel, as Galstandard wasn't exactly their common tongue. Fortunately, Mentor had heard it, and thus, Cavalier could understand it.

"All right..." he said. "It's not happy, mainly because what it's seeing is breaking its computer brain. On the one hand, these guys seem mostly normal - breathing's good, heart rate's good, no diseases, etc. On the other hand... they have absolutely no brain function. Now, I'm not a biologist, but according to the computer, you need some sort of subconscious function in your brain to keep the basic functions working. These guys don't even have that. And yet..."

Solar Sentinel nodded. "This is bizarre. I wish I knew what was going on, or even what we just fought was." He shrugged. "That'll tell you. Almost a hundred years in space, and space can surprise you." He looked over the medical bay. "Normally, I can use my powers to heal people, but it doesn't seem to work on these folks. Wish I knew some of the super scientists down on Earth. They might be able to figure it out."

As the others discuss the matter, Silvia is directing hovercart after hovercart of precious ores into the hold, a smile on her face, then joins in on the tail end of the conversation.

"This is all academic for the moment. Let us make way to Earth, and determine what to do from there. Come; you are welcome aboard my ship as honored guests."

She orders the guest quarters be made ready, and for two more spots to be made ready at her table for dinner, in preparation for the trip to Earth.

Starting with Freedom City. Surely, someone there can do something about the creature taking up space in the brig, and at least provide life support to the injured crew.