Grand Funk Rumblings

Lowering his silver hand, the armored sorcerer took a very short moment to think. “Ah yes, the Order of VadÄtÄjs. You people are foolishly tapping into forces you can’t possibly hope to contain. And for what? The destruction of all our progress? That doesn’t seem like an altruistic motive to me. Clinging only to the old ways is foolish.â€

He then turn to Vector; “One of us should go back and check on the train, there might be more of them out there.†This is followed by turning back toward Ulysses and lifting himself back into the air with his rocket-powered boots; “I take it you can easily handle our friend here?â€

Edited by RobRX

Vector frowned at the man, before her eyes widened behind her mask.  "Oh, god.  Four.  There are four of them."

She turned to the Silver Magus, fear on her face, speaking in her shock and realisation, barely audible to the armored sorcerer.  "Oh god.  The last one's going after dad."

Then she was gone, running at top speed back towards the train.  I knew they were after him and I left him unprotected... stupid, stupid, stupid.

Vector practically lept back into the train, running along the carriages back to where her mum and dad were... hoping they were okay.  That her mistake hadn't just cost her dearly. 

"Not a problem." Ulysses says with the docility left in the wake of his explosive temper "'Universe is a lot older than any of us boy and everythings been just fine for it so far; regardless of what we may think." he retorts "you talking might've saved lives here and today. one day if you're lucky you'll wake up and be proud of it." he sombrely adds and then without ceremony or much warning he gives the whelp a speedy but heavy smack on the forehead and lets him crumple to the ground.

He can't help but wonder whats going on as the young lady in blue takes off back towards the train with the sorcerer in so tremendous a hurry before taking off after them at a fair distance, in case it should prove either was making a discreet exit.

GM

All three heroes made their way back to the transport unencumbered.   As soon as the heroes entered the bullet train the power seemed to shift back on.  It took a few seconds before it began to shoot forward but it moved as if not an ounce of momentum had been lost.  Which led to an unfortunate moment in which they almost each slammed into  a passenger.  Once they adjusted to their resumed velocity Vector led the way to the private cabin the fields family had been occupying.

What they found inside was nothing less than .  Opal Fields was unconscious, but both Vector and Velocity only noted as the only outward sign of any immediate harm were bruises on her knuckles.  The sort a housewife would acquire while swinging at a person.  Vector was able to spot a hastily crumpled note underneath her father's seat.  Written in Michael Fields handwriting was an address in Albury-Wodonga (specifically in the city of Albury).  Which Ulysses assured them would only be 11 minutes away by the speed they were traveling...having read the information on a nearby digital measurement of time between stops.

To the naked eye there wasn't a single trace of where Michael Fields had gone.  But Silver Magus wasn't relying on the naked eye.  The man's senses beyond the norm were able to identify the trace flow of arcane energy left as residue in the room.  Alerting  him that magic had been used in the room.   He couldn't get a detailed account of the events but  pierced together that the trail ended cold in the room.

“Excuse me!†said the Sorcerer, his armor faintly whirring as he regained his balance, not wanting to activate the jet boots in such an enclosed space. He assumed rightfully that someone covered in metal plates crashing into another, unarmored one would be...painful.

Scouting the cabin the Fields family occupied, the Silver Magus noticed the traces of magical energies. “I’m afraid we’ll have to consider the possibility he was abducted by supernatural means, transported elsewhere. Where? I can’t say.†Turning to the younger member of the family, well, at least it’s what he had to assume given what she previously said. “Any reason why these people would target him specifically? Tell me anything, any lead could be of some use.â€

Edited by RobRX

Ulysses had found himself distracted by the electronc display he'd missed on the way out; Though he'd always preferred the clicking of clockwork to the low electric buzz of digital displays this one was far more advanced that the shrill monstrosity that had been on the bedside cabinet and prehaps taken with the exotic and estoric design of the train he lost himself in it for what felt like a few seconds before the train lurched to life rather unexpectedly and he found himself stumbling though a packed isle; Twisting his torso to avoid a fellow passenger as he attempted to regain his footing and composure.

Managing to arrive in time to dispense what he'd gleaned from the display and ease his sudden feelings of ineptitude at having been distracted by a gizmo when there was evil afoot; He Gives the recovering Ms. Fields a tip of his hat. "I'm sorry they managed to pull that fast one on me Madam. Man of my age should be wise to such underhandedness." he says as much to himself as anyone "for what its worth I'll do everything in my power to set this right and see those brutes answer for what they've done here." he adds with a huff as only old men and older locomotives can.

• 4 weeks later...

Vector- Catherine Fields- pulled off her mask as she knelt down besides her mother.  Maybe stupid... but she'd already given it away to the other two superheroes.  "I don't know.  I mean... Dad's an industrialist, he's always pushed cutting-edge technology.  Some of the suits you see police forces using against supervillains, this train... he plays fair, but I suppose there could still be any number of people who don't like him for one reason or another- heck, he's a strong supporter of superheroes, so that could piss people off. 

Though... it sounds like they were after him just for the 'cutting-edge technology' bit."

Catherine scowled, then she looked up at the Silver Magus.  "We're going to take them down before they hurt him.  I don't suppose either of you have tracking powers or anything?"

"I'm afraid the trail, from a magical point of view, is unfortunately completely cold already." Returning the gesture. Silver Magus opened the faceplate of his armor, the airtight locks of the helmet disengaging and the front of the helmet sliding open.

"Still, there might be a few options left for us." he explained. "Not all hope is lost, I'm certain. These options just might, unfortunately, either not work or be a bit of a shot in the dark. I could scry the nearby areas but that would take time and there is no guarantee they are evil still in the area. Of course, they showed up on horseback which would imply they aren't that far." It seemed the man had a certain habit of rambling to himself or thinking out loud. Still, maybe his reasoning was going somewhere. "I don't suppose any of you know how to spot and follow horse tracks in the wilderness?"

• 1 month later...

GM

The train came to a stop in Albury.  Prompting a large number of the passengers to rush out of the vehicle.  Even though their passage had yet to come to a clothes.  Amongst that group, however, was not the ever resilient Opal Fields.  Declaring that she would finish the voyage from start to finish as her husband intended.  Ever the gentleman, the locomotive of a man known as Ulysses offered to guard Opal all the way through.  Making sure the crazed cultists didn't come back for the faithful wife either.

Silver Magus and Vector, now revealed to be Catherine Fields to those few inside the Fields private booth, set out on tracking down the address Michael Fields left behind in his hastily scrambled message.  Taking longer than either party would care to admit they eventually found themselves in front of a run down looking apartment complex.  The place was practically in shambles, and the almost empty parking lot really gave the impression that there may not be many tenants in the location.

Finding the only apartment with an active resident the pair knocked on the door.  Soon it swung open and an attractive brunette woman wearing a jean jacket and a torn pair of jean shorts opened the door.  Her glasses were barely sitting on her face.  The smell of alcohol on permeating off breath as she stumbled out.  "Nick off, whatever you're selling I ain't buying."

Catherine shared a last hug with her mother, thanking Ulysses before exiting the train and tracking down the address- and wondering why her father would point them there.  Her confusion only grew as the door opened. 

That said, she didn't let her confusion show, as she stepped forwards.  "We're not selling anything.  Michael Fields was kidnapped from the new high-speed railway, and the only clue we've got is a note in his handwriting, with this address on it.  Do you have any idea what that might be about?  We're fairly certain the people who took him mean to..."

Vector took a breath before continuing.  "Kill him.  If there's anything you know, or if you know someone who can help locate him..."

GM

"Alright, alright.  Belt up for a second.  I got to think."  Stopping a moment the woman would rub her temple as if trying to get over a headache.  Groaning all the while not hiding. "Come in and we'll have a yarn about whatever mess that dill has gotten himself into this time.  Been telling that bloke to hire security for years.  But, no he'd rather end up balls up just so he can ring up a favor."

Once they entered the apartment, the pair were treated to a sight.  The walls of every other apartment in the complex had apparently been knocked down converting the entire thing to a small warehouse, or alternatively a gigantic loft.  There were mannequins inside of glass cases with superhero costumes adorned.  A gigantic supercomputer which was easily identifiable as being built by Fields Technology.  No doubt one of the many discounted items sold over the year by the company.  In the distance a training area was marked off.  

The warehouse filled to the brim with tokens held up like museum items on display.  The actual living area, wasn't immediately visible until the woman led them through a series of rooms.  Making it apparent some whole apartments were converted into bedrooms and other traditional living areas.  Finding themselves in the kitchen the woman pointed to a circular dining room table with three cases of beers.  Having already apparently finished two cases of beers before Silver Magus and Vector arrived.

Ulysses spends the rest of the train ride exchanging conversation as pleasant, unobtrusive and not entirely about trains as he can make it, slightly enjoying the excuse to talk someone's ear off even inspite of the current dire circumstances, feeling his mask lending him some credibility in the otherwise surreal series of events he found himself stumbling through in this strange time he'd found himself in. breaking off to mention how nice mr fields train was despite his preference for those of his own era. it seemed like he'd barely begun to ramble before he disembarked with the patient Mrs. Fields at the terminus, making sure she arrived safely at her destination before tipping his hat and leaving at speed for the address on the note.

It was much to his pleasure that he only needed to stop and pester bystanders for directions once or twice before arriving at the run down apartment complex and rapping his knuckles smartly across the sole occupied door and giving it a brisk, firm knock.

Silver Magus naturally quite stood out, having remained in his armor ever since the train incident. Not much of a people person, the sorcerer decided he'd rather let Vector handle things. Not only that, but it wasn't his familly that was involved and the man understood the importance of personal matters and making sure one finished them him or herself. Instead, the armored sorcerer took the time to inspect the building for anything that might be a clue in some shape or form.

As much as a caped, armored man could, he tried to remain in Vector's shadow, always a bit out of sight from the others, not drawing attention to himself. The person living here knew things and Kyle figured he'd be safer analyzing his environment, ready to warn Vector at any sign of trouble should trouble actually appear.

GM

"RFID chip. Ole Mikey's probably still works. Running a search protocol."  She stopped mid sentence to shake her head. Clearly trying to focus her mind on paying attention to the task at hand.  She then hiccuped slapped pounded her chest real quick and returned to the conversation.  "Uh running a search protocol to track him down now. Opie must be a right pain to deal with right now.  Toss me a bottle while I work."

Hearing the knock at the door the woman reached into her jeans pocket pulling out what appeared to be a bluetooth device.  Afterwards she waved her hands in front of her.  A small spherical orb flew into the room responding to the movement of her digits.  A few seconds afterwards it began to project a holographic image of Ulysses at the front door.  The details on the azure projection made it clear that it was coming from the front of the residence.  "Oh joy.  More guests.  D'dya forget a bloke?"

Vector blinked at the familar way the woman was referring to her parents, as if she'd known them for years.  She blinked, picking up a bottle of... something... and handing it to the woman.  "Um... sorry, who are you?"  She'd never heard about the woman from mum or dad before.  Maybe she'd just wanted privacy or something?

She looked at the projection, noticing Ulysses.  "He was staying with m- Opal in case those... cultists... decided to attack her as well.  I mean, with her injury..."  Vector bit her lip in concern.  Had something happened to her mother now, as well?  She walked towards the door, opening it cautiously. 

GM

The woman's digits began rapidly moving.  Soon after the entrance door would open up.  Allowing for Ulysses to enter the residence.  "If I wasn't in my civies you'd be calling me Inertia.  A dinky-di hero I am.  Known 'em both since I was a wee tin lid.  Most disgustingly adorable couple you ever did see."   The woman answered caring little for her secret identity apparently, of course she had clearly been drinking and had little in the way of social graces for one to consider the possibility of a wide social net.

Inertia was a member of the semi-unknown Australian superhero team known as The Larrikins.  A name not given ironically and recognized only to Vector out of the three heroes present.  The team was led by Corvus, the brooding vigilante who watched over Adelaide.  The rest of the members consisted of a Sharkbait, a marine biologist turned shark hybrid after touching a pearl in Shark Bay that was an artifact of a tribe of Shark people from underwater (who claim that the pearl only awoke her latent genes having descended from the tribe).  Kurdaitcha an aboriginal champion of the gods and spirits of the Dreamtime from the Dätiwuy clan with the mystical ability to see the future, past, and present as if they all existed as one.  Funnelweb a spider themed villain recently turned hero whose negative publicity continues to give the team a bad reputation and contributes massively to their lack of national recognition.  Dragstrip, famous racer turned speedster Shui Chun who oddly enough relies on futuristic blasters instead of flurries of fists fighting.  And of course Inertia whose vector manipulating abilities while impressive were dwarfed by her prowess as a physicist.  Inertia's claim to fame were accusations that she had a lack of control of her powers, placing her as a risk in the field, further given validity due to her often acting as the command center for the team outside of the rare big threats.

"Urgh."  Even before Ulyses reached the rest of the group the woman's frustration was clear.  "Good news the signal last transmitted in Albury.  Bad news The RFID shut off in Alburry.  Can't track him at all.  Signal was blocked.  Normally, I could do a little back and forth with my teams.  But they're all in the Dreamtime fighting some sort of demon.  And my powers are sort of wonky in a place outside of the laws of physics so I'm playing house mom."

"Ah, right.  Didn't the media suggest we were related once?"

Vector looked at Inertia, frowning slightly as she stated she'd lost Michael's signal.  "Is there anything that could cause that in particular?  If you give us the location where it cut out, we could probably do some more investigation... and at least we have a general area."

She thought for a few moments.  "I think we should be able to cover Albury, at least.  Although I'm not sure what exactly we'd be looking for... any ideas?"  Vector directed the question to all three people present, as she looked around at them.  "And we're not sure how tight a time limit we're on either..."