Bright Lights and Good Cheer

Thevshi

Swooping back away from the table, he ate the little bit of finger food he had picked up before Asad looked at everyone there, and frowned to himself, realizing that... well... yeah, he had nothing to say to anyone here.  Sure he could make small talk, but honestly, especially with other heroes he felt... self conscious?  That was probably the best way to put it.  It was awkward, he felt awkward  in a situation where he had no idea what to say.  It was such an unusual thing that he was almost panicking.  He was Amir al Misri, he always had something to say.  But put him in a room with a bunch of other heroes, and he was a tongue tied teenager with people half his age.  Allah, he felt silly. So he made his way to the corner of a room, and did what any person in his position would do in a situation like this: fritter away on his phone.

Humming to himself, as he tapped away, going to various e-mails to other things.  Admitted he was waiting for a response from Agnus to see if she was available for something this time of year.  Plus a hundred other things that he needed to look into, overseas acquisitions, various figures, reports.  His brows knitted together, as he started to pace absently, one hand holding the phone, the other attacking the screen in a claw.  All of that was just excuses to used to justify why he was avoiding talking to these people.

Vector noticed Asad pacing, and tilted her head for a moment, before walking towards him.  She spoke up once she reached him, smiling.  "Amir Al-Misiri.  Or... Asad, wasn't it?  Sorry, I think of your 'real name' more than I do of you superhero name.  I'm Vector."

Wait, why had she opened with that... argh.  "You... probably haven't heard of me, I've mostly been working in Sydney.  Not used to the weather here.  Anyway, you're looking a bit lonely, so I thought I'd come and chat.  Believe me, I know how boring finances can be."

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreshadow

Foreshadow distanced himself after Asad walked away.  He wasn't particularly hungry, although the scent floating through the lobby pleaded a strong case for as to why his stomach was dead wrong for coming to that conclusion.  Foreshadow was a social person when it came down to it.  Except in a room full of nothing but heroes.  The entire concept of hanging around people who regularly placed themselves in danger didn't mesh well when one could see into the future.  While already working with a handful was one thing, but for partying that was another thing entirely.

He found himself drawn to the conversation of the buryat.  Particularly since last thing he wanted was to be reminded of tarasun.  His journey after high school involved a stop there.  It was sour as could be going down.  And he doesn't remember how it was coming out, as past that the hazy memory leaves a black of Erick finding himself waking up in the middle of Siberia covered only by a fur coat.   Much like the Russian proverb stated adversity was a good teacher that day. 

Circling around he'd find himself nearing Cannonade and Gabriel in the midst of their conversation.  

"Gotta keep up the energy...anyways. Heard about you busting the chops of a bunch of gun-runners down in Southside. I swear, they're like weeds! I just took down three separate groups of them last month. At least the folks down there have you and me looking after them, right?"

He smirked and tapped his helmet, producing a metallic "ping".

"Guys with our impeccable taste in headgear gotta back each other up."

"Hm. Yes, it's quite fortunate the Southside has people like you looking after it." Foreshadow stared seriously for a moment at Gabriel before vividly chuckling. Ending the falsely serious demeanor he was giving of for the sake of his joke. "Always a pleasure Cannonade, at least this time we're not having to testify over something.  And pleased to make your acquaintance...erm I didn't catch the name sorry." Extending his hand towards Gabriel, whom he did in fact know the name to.

Cannonade

There had been a bit of a rush for the food, but the space provided was large, and heroes tended to be polite. When they got to the tables, Gabriel was thoughtful enough to hand Cannonade an empty plate along with some silverware and a couple of napkins.

"You're on your own for the actual food and your drink, though."

He gave a grin before starting to load up his own plate. Lots of meat and carbs, though a sprinkling of semi-healthy stuff.

"Gotta keep up the energy...anyways. Heard about you busting the chops of a bunch of gun-runners down in Southside. I swear, they're like weeds! I just took down three separate groups of them last month. At least the folks down there have you and me looking after them, right?"

He smirked and tapped his helmet, producing a metallic "ping".

"Guys with our impeccable taste in headgear gotta back each other up."

"Eh, I think I'll manage on the food front." Cannonade had already made his way to the table and lifted a few miniature mince pies, some roast, and a glass or two of eggnog. "It's always great to get out and see the community. Good to know were in this together - I mean, in ways that go beyond running into someone in a back alley and stumbling into something weirder." 

He gave a tip of the helmet to Asad - they hadn't really interacted much since the bank job a few years back, but it might be good to catch up with him later. "Yeah, the gunrunners weren't that big an issue. That kinda stuff seems to be cropping up in Southside more often lately - runners, dealers, boneheads..." He shook his head. "But you've gotta keep up the good fight. What else are you gonna do? Let the tide sweep in? Then you get drowned.

"And hey. Good to see someone's got good taste in helms." 

Velocity

"Normally I would try and make a break for dry clothes but, my stomach has other ideas."  Before she could ask what the League had to offer their guests, they were greeted by another one of Freedom's heroes.  Nodding towards the newest arrival, "A pleasure to meet you Maxima.  You know, the longer I look around the room, the more I'm disappointed in myself for not networking in the community more."

"C'est la vie," she shrugged.  Feeling like it was up to her to get the conversation started past the introductions she set aside plans of food and dry clothes, "So, everyone get their Christmas shopping done?  Or are you guys like me and tend to wait until the last minute?"

Velocity chuckled slightly at Silver's comment about not networking more.  "Well, I have not been able to do quite as much networking with other heroes in the last few months myself.  There were just so many things keeping me busy."

"Don't worry, I'm in the same boat with you there; I look around the room and the only names I know are from the news." replied Maxima, feeling quite glad that there was someone else here in a similar position.  Eager to have a more casual conversation she continued saying "I'm more or less done with all my shopping.  Still trying to grab a few small stocking stuffers here or there, but I got the bulk of everything else last weekend.   I've got people that are easy to buy for though." she answered distractedly.  Right now her main focus was deciding whether she should continue this conversation at full height or stoop down a bit.  Deciding on the latter, she dropped to one knee so that she could talk to the other heroes more or less at eye level instead of them talking to her navel. 

As the talk turned to the subject of Christmas shopping, the yellow clad speedster grinned.  "Like I would miss any chance to do some shopping."  She began in reply.  "But I am mostly done, still a little bit more to finish up though."

Of course, that is because this year my Christmas shopping is rather different than in the past.  Velocity thought to herself, though she was not about to start discussing the fact she now had a six year old son to Christmas shop for with people she just met.  Though sometime soon she needed to try to find time to bring Jen up to date on the bizarre things that had been taking place in her life.

Swooping back away from the table, he ate the little bit of finger food he had picked up before Asad looked at everyone there, and frowned to himself, realizing that... well... yeah, he had nothing to say to anyone here.  Sure he could make small talk, but honestly, especially with other heroes he felt... self conscious?  That was probably the best way to put it.  It was awkward, he felt awkward  in a situation where he had no idea what to say.  It was such an unusual thing that he was almost panicking.  He was Amir al Misri, he always had something to say.  But put him in a room with a bunch of other heroes, and he was a tongue tied teenager with people half his age.  Allah, he felt silly. So he made his way to the corner of a room, and did what any person in his position would do in a situation like this: fritter away on his phone.

Humming to himself, as he tapped away, going to various e-mails to other things.  Admitted he was waiting for a response from Agnus to see if she was available for something this time of year.  Plus a hundred other things that he needed to look into, overseas acquisitions, various figures, reports.  His brows knitted together, as he started to pace absently, one hand holding the phone, the other attacking the screen in a claw.  All of that was just excuses to used to justify why he was avoiding talking to these people.

"You look like how I feel." Henry said with a friendly smile. "I've seen most of these folks on the news, but never met any of 'em in person. Not that I fault the invitation, I need to get out and meet more people in the community." He nodded to Vector and Asad. "Solar Sentinel, but you can call me Henry. I'm probably one of half a million Henrys in Freedom City alone."

"I recognize you, but I don't know where from." He nodded at Asad. "This city is just loaded with hero folks, and rich folks, so I'm not sure which of those you are." He smiled.

El Heraldo

"Here we are, right on time!" sang out a cheery voice.
With a rush of air and a soft noise as boots hit pavement, a handsome young Hispanic man with thick, curly hair barely contained by a magnificent feathered cap as blue as the summer sky walked through the doors, face alight with a cheerful grin. His arm was linked that of a young woman in a darker costume with an impressively plain and sharp-looking longsword at her hip and long black hair. His jacket was the same solid blue as the cap, ornamented with elegant yellow shapes of fish and sheep, but the effect of restrained elegance was promptly destroyed by his belt with the star-shaped buckle, vibrant red gloves and pants that seemed to contain every primary color at once in a dazzling diamond-grid display of brilliance.

Sauntering across the hall, sliding a flagpole bearing the national colors of Puerto Rico over his shoulder, his eyes took in the sumptuous Christmas decor with undisguised glee. Subito wasn't normally one for the glitzy, secular side of Christmas time, but sometimes it just worked. And here at the earthly home of the world's premier super-team, surrounded by people who had dedicated their immense power and resources to helping the less fortunate, it was hard not to get caught up in feelings of hope and brotherhood!

Whistling under his breath he glanced around at the gathered costumed characters, dark eyes darting from one to the other as he searched for a familiar face...well, mask. Or color scheme. At first he was at a little of a loss, while more than a couple were famous in their own right, many of them(especially the pallid lady in the weirdo black dress, or the man in white) he hadn't the foggiest idea about, though that just made it more exciting to wonder what they'd be like when he got to know them!

Then he saw the unmistakable figure of Marcus, and the now-familiar costume of Velocity, and sighed with a grin of relief 'Awwwww yeah! It's that bear dude, and the speedster lady we met that one time! ...You have no idea what their names are, do y- What, Arcturus and Velocity? Sure I do! What kind of guy would I be if I didn't pay attention to stuff like that? Oh...good! I was worried, Herald. Anyway, let us go make some allies against the darkness. For Victory! For Victory! And love, got to have that too!' He missed Mali and Giang at first, not catching their faces in the crowd and being much less familiar with them out of costume. That and being almost jumpy with anticipation, which didn't help.

Whirling to face Blodeuwedd with bright eyes, the young paragon said "So, Blodeu! What'll we do first? I'd like to meet some people first, then food, how aboooouuuuuut..." he scanned the growing crowd, eyes narrowing thoughtfully until they hit on the superfast Leaguer "Velocity! Be cool to meet her again, this time not on the job."

Edited by Arichamus

Glamazon

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  Happy holidays."  Arcturus was a familiar sight, as were the rest whom had pictures in the school as being Claremont alumni.  But she was someone he had actually seen walking around the campus before.  Not that they had ever spoken.  Which did help to bring to Thaelia's attention in the party full of the grand most were strangers to her eyes.  The oft boisterous girl managing to find a slight moment of self-consciousness which quickly passed as she adjusted herself.

Her eyes locked with admiration on Maxima in the distance for a moment.  Even though Thaelia was still growing she was pretty much used to the fact that there weren't any female heroes that she would have to tilt her head up to speak to.  But by comparison for the first time in a long while the demigoddess felt small.  Thaelia had no idea whom the heroine was, but it was a sight that made her downright excited for sure.

Crimson Tiger

For the first time in quite a while, Mali entered a room and barely knew anyone. She'd heard stories, of course. She recognized Asad as an associate of her father's, she knew Foreshadow from some previous dealings. Velocity she'd seen quite a few times on tv and pictures, being rather famous among certain circles. Mali made it a habit of knowing a lot about heroes, especially some of the female heroes who were personal inspirations to her, like the Raven.

Though she'd never met Arcturus in person to her recollection, a guy like him didn't exactly go under the radar. "Hi Arcturus." She said with a pleasant smile. "Nice to see you, Merry Christmas."

She waved at Crusader, who she didn't recognize, but probably had heard of at least once. Claremont was filled with not just students learning to be heroes, but hero fans, so most of the heroes in the room were known to someone.

Giang glanced over at the sound of the voice that greeted her and her friends as they entered.  "Merry Christmas."  She said in reply, giving a slight bow to the tall man who was talking with two other heroines, one of whom was one of the Freedom League members.  But before she could say anything further, another familiar voice called out in greeting as well.

The Asian teen turned to see Marcus approaching and gave the recent Claremont alum a small smile.  Though she did not know him particularly well, the two had been part of a group of Claremont students that had gone to Mozambique to assist with some disaster recovery after a flood last Spring.  "Happy Holidays Arcturus.  How have you been?"

Arcturus

"I can't complain," he said with a nonchalant shrug. "Wouldn't do me any good anyway. How about you? I don't see much of you guys since I don't live on campus anymore... I kind of miss it, actually. But my room at Parkhurst is bigger, so it works out."

He really did; it was only after graduating and dealing with the Beast Rune on a more personal level that he realized just how much he was holding himself back. It was a series of lessons he wasn't going to forget any time soon.

Crusader

Silver returned the hug from her friend, "Hey Vel.  Happy Holidays yourself."  The scientist nodded towards the bag she had across her back, "You mentioned something about a changing room?  Traffic's a nightmare and I didn't feel like slinging webs across town in a dress."  She could not see it but there was a hint of a playful smirk in the younger woman's words.

Nodding to Crusader she held out a hand, "Merry Christmas to you as well."  Halfway through the handshake, Silver's stomach let out an almost embarrassingly loud rumble.  "Sorry, I missed lunch.  The day job's been crazy and I had to tie up a purse snatcher on the way here."

Crusader laughed, shaking Silver Spider's hand. "No problem; I know how it is. My ride here was pretty peaceful. Cold and people still drive like maniacs, but otherwise..."

OK.  You're here, on time, and you haven't made a complete fool of yourself.  So what the heck was step two?  thought Maxima to herself as she left with side conference room with her plate of food.  She stood off to the side for a moment while she got the lay of the land from her vantage point.  It seemed like everyone knew at least a handful of people there, or were at least braver than she was. Deciding to bite the bullet, Maxima made her way up to one of the groups to introduce herself. 

She figured a good place to start would be the hosts since they would be there to help smooth over awkward greetings and the like, plus they were probably the ones to know everyone in attendance.  For the moment, the yellow speedster seemed to be mostly still chatting it up with another woman and a male super hero.  "Hello." said Maxima as she walked up to the group giving them a small wave.  "Hope I'm not interrupting anything, but I just wanted to introduce myself.  The name's Maxima."

"Interrupting? Not at all." Crusader offered an encouraging smile. "A pleasure to meet you, Maxima."

"Normally I would try and make a break for dry clothes but, my stomach has other ideas."  Before she could ask what the League had to offer their guests, they were greeted by another one of Freedom's heroes.  Nodding towards the newest arrival, "A pleasure to meet you Maxima.  You know, the longer I look around the room, the more I'm disappointed in myself for not networking in the community more."

"C'est la vie," she shrugged.  Feeling like it was up to her to get the conversation started past the introductions she set aside plans of food and dry clothes, "So, everyone get their Christmas shopping done?  Or are you guys like me and tend to wait until the last minute?"

"I've done most of mine already. Still a few things to pick up and a birthday gift to buy, but I think I've got it pretty well managed this year. I think I can relate to the networking thing too..." He looked around the room and nodded. He wondered just how many of these heroes the Crusader before him, his father, knew. "But hey, that's a good reason to be here too, right?"

Edited by GranspearZX

"Merry Christmas! Welcome to the party!" Fleur said effusively as she extended a hand in greeting to the newcomer. "I don't think we've met yet, I'm Fleur de Joie. I like your hat!" Even when she wasn't in costume, the heroine's green hair made her hard to mistake. 

Alexander smiled cheerfully at the floral heroine and shook her hand. "Thanks, Fleur, and merry Christmas to you too. I go by Starchaser." 

He recognised a few of the heroes there from the evening news, but most of them were total strangers to him. "I'm relatively new to this, so I figured this party would be a good opportunity to get to know a few people in the community. Without the added pressure of a giant robot or an asteroid, of course." Starchaser looked over the room again, "Sure seems like the League pulled out all the stops for this one, it's all very impressive!"

Vector noticed Asad pacing, and tilted her head for a moment, before walking towards him.  She spoke up once she reached him, smiling.  "Amir Al-Misiri.  Or... Asad, wasn't it?  Sorry, I think of your 'real name' more than I do of you superhero name.  I'm Vector."

Wait, why had she opened with that... argh.  "You... probably haven't heard of me, I've mostly been working in Sydney.  Not used to the weather here.  Anyway, you're looking a bit lonely, so I thought I'd come and chat.  Believe me, I know how boring finances can be."

His eyes flicked over to Vector, and he smiled that winning Asad smile.  It should seem more practiced than it did, but then this was a man who had heads of state in his contact list.  His powers didn't make him more dangerous, that smile made him dangerous.  That infectious conspiratorial look.  "Either works Vector.  I really should have thought ahead when taking my hero name, apparently Awesome Man did not do well with the test groups."  Tapping the sleep button on his phone, he slide it into the interior breast pocket of the tailored jacket.  "But, I will stop with the horrid jokes, and be bit more proper with this.  Hello Vector is nice to meet you."

At which point he extended a hand to her.  "I am passingly familiar with what goes on in Sydney.  We do have offices there.  So I heard about you, but that would be it.  Beyond that, I am mostly a rich hero."

"You look like how I feel." Henry said with a friendly smile. "I've seen most of these folks on the news, but never met any of 'em in person. Not that I fault the invitation, I need to get out and meet more people in the community." He nodded to Vector and Asad. "Solar Sentinel, but you can call me Henry. I'm probably one of half a million Henrys in Freedom City alone."

"I recognize you, but I don't know where from." He nodded at Asad. "This city is just loaded with hero folks, and rich folks, so I'm not sure which of those you are." He smiled.

His eyes flicked over to Vector, and he smiled that winning Asad smile.  It should seem more practiced than it did, but then this was a man who had heads of state in his contact list.  His powers didn't make him more dangerous, that smile made him dangerous.  That infectious conspiratorial look.  "Either works Vector.  I really should have thought ahead when taking my hero name, apparently Awesome Man did not do well with the test groups."  Tapping the sleep button on his phone, he slide it into the interior breast pocket of the tailored jacket.  "But, I will stop with the horrid jokes, and be bit more proper with this.  Hello Vector is nice to meet you."

At which point he extended a hand to her.  "I am passingly familiar with what goes on in Sydney.  We do have offices there.  So I heard about you, but that would be it.  Beyond that, I am mostly a rich hero."

Vector laughed at the comment about Awesome Man as she shook Asad's offered hand.  "I can see why it wouldn't do so well... even if from what I hear it certainly fits.  It's nice to meet you a- nice to meet you, Asad.  My own name's... well, I was thinking over stuff, decided to make a power reference."  She shrugged.

"And it's a pleasure to meet you, Solar Sentinel.  And I know what you mean about needing to meet more people in the hero community.  I know some people, but again... mostly people down in Australia.  I think I've only worked with Gaian Knight and Fleur out of the people here...  haven't done much superhero work in Freedom so far.  I'd be one of the heroes, myself, while Asad here falls under both categories."

That smile didn't falter, though he shrugged a little.  "It is the one curse of being a public hero, I have a hard time having off time.  So of course I had to adapt to thirty two hour days.  Just because you are fighting some kind of giant flying serpent does not meaning that one's significant other is understand, and certainly not those state department representatives."

Nodding to Henry, and including him with a wink.  "Pleasure to meet you as well Henry."  Turning to him and offering a hand to give him a firm shake.  "Call me whichever you wish, either name will work."

Cannonade

"Eh, I think I'll manage on the food front." Cannonade had already made his way to the table and lifted a few miniature mince pies, some roast, and a glass or two of eggnog. "It's always great to get out and see the community. Good to know were in this together - I mean, in ways that go beyond running into someone in a back alley and stumbling into something weirder."

He gave a tip of the helmet to Asad - they hadn't really interacted much since the bank job a few years back, but it might be good to catch up with him later. "Yeah, the gunrunners weren't that big an issue. That kinda stuff seems to be cropping up in Southside more often lately - runners, dealers, boneheads..." He shook his head. "But you've gotta keep up the good fight. What else are you gonna do? Let the tide sweep in? Then you get drowned.

"And hey. Good to see someone's got good taste in helms."

"I thought I had an idea of what kinds of gnarly things I'd find in a back alley when I first came to this city."

Gabriel snorts and shakes his head.

"Boy was I wrong. A party like this is great because if anything is "weird", it's a harmless weird. Instead of face-eating demons or back-stabbing fae or laser-spewing gangsters."

Gabriel sobered a bit at the shop talk, nodding absentmindedly.

"I think they're hearing rumors you, me, and the other folks who watch Southside are "away". And while I have gone on some rather interesting trips, some of which you've been on, and I do spend some time in seclusion elsewhere, it's not enough that I won't catch every rumor on the street anyways. Most of the folks down in Southside are good, honest folks, and seem to dislike the...intruders. A lot of the less savory elements that have been in that area for a while are quieting down, and they don't like people "muscling in". Gotta love territory fights making things easier.

And yeah. Right now it's just a trickle; left alone it might become a flood."

He grinned at the helm comment.

"Just like in fashion and acting, accessorizing is key in heroics."

Foreshadow

Foreshadow distanced himself after Asad walked away. He wasn't particularly hungry, although the scent floating through the lobby pleaded a strong case for as to why his stomach was dead wrong for coming to that conclusion. Foreshadow was a social person when it came down to it. Except in a room full of nothing but heroes. The entire concept of hanging around people who regularly placed themselves in danger didn't mesh well when one could see into the future. While already working with a handful was one thing, but for partying that was another thing entirely.

He found himself drawn to the conversation of the buryat. Particularly since last thing he wanted was to be reminded of tarasun. His journey after high school involved a stop there. It was sour as could be going down. And he doesn't remember how it was coming out, as past that the hazy memory leaves a black of Erick finding himself waking up in the middle of Siberia covered only by a fur coat. Much like the Russian proverb stated adversity was a good teacher that day.

Circling around he'd find himself nearing Cannonade and Gabriel in the midst of their conversation.

"Hm. Yes, it's quite fortunate the Southside has people like you looking after it." Foreshadow stared seriously for a moment at Gabriel before vividly chuckling. Ending the falsely serious demeanor he was giving of for the sake of his joke. "Always a pleasure Cannonade, at least this time we're not having to testify over something. And pleased to make your acquaintance...erm I didn't catch the name sorry." Extending his hand towards Gabriel, whom he did in fact know the name to.

Gabriel reached his free hand out to shake Foreshadow's. Some back part of his brain said "familiar", but he dismissed it. They wore masks for a reason!

He was smart enough to know this wasn't the first Foreshadow, but as far as he was concerned it didn't matter either way. And it kept the criminals guessing.

"We try to go where we're needed. Sometimes that's the back alleys and warehouses of Southside. Sometimes it's the world of the Fae.

And the name's Gabriel. We haven't met, but I've heard of your work, Foreshadow. Extremely impressed, and more than a bit humbled. Reputation's almost everything in this business and you've got quite the rep."

Gabriel's smile indicated the reputation was all good.

Well, from the hero perspective. Criminals probably had less kind things to say but no one really paid that any heed.

"Thank you, young man" Alexander rumbles as he steps through the threshold and into the building "Ah wonderful! ill have to make my way over there after i get myself better acquainted." Holding out his hand "Go by Ulysses under the cover of cowl; Its a pleasure to meet you." using his free hand to wipe his shoulders clear and stealing a quick glance around the room.

"Gaian Knight," the long-coated hero replied, cheerfully shaking the offered hand. "I wouldn't wait too long, though; no bounty's endless, and good as that smells I bet it'll disappear sooner rather than later. Especially if I know some folks' appetites as well as I think I do."

Tiamat turned back up as if on cue, carrying a plate heaped dangerously high with what appeared to be nothing but meat and desserts. "We gotta do this more often. Haven't seen a spread like this since that portal-to-the-great-hall thing, and even they didn't have brownies."

Gaian Knight chuckled, stealing a cookie off her plate (and chuckling again at her drumstick-muffled protest that she hadn't meant he should try something from her cache of Christmas edibles. "Ulysses, Tiamat. Tiamat, Ulysses. And apparently the situation is more dire than I thought, if they let her get out of there with such a hoard! You'd better go mingle and grab some for yourself before she goes back for seconds."

Tsunami

Giang smiled slightly at Marcus' comment about complaining not doing him any good.  "Well, we would certainly be willing to listen to you complain.  Although I am not entirely sure that would do you any good either, other than to have the chance to do so."

"Things have been good for me so far.  This first semester has gone by rather quickly, and has been very quiet for the most part.  But then, given some of what happened back in the early half of the year, it would take a lot to compare."  The Asian teen replied.  That first semester she had spent at Claremont had indeed been a rather chaotic time, starting almost immediately with the events of the Day of Wrath at the start of the year and almost finishing the school year with herself, Subito and Serge being kidnapped by one of Dr. Sin's lieutenants and having to be rescued from a Pacific island training facility for Dr. Sin's operatives by Raven and a group of other Claremont students.

Foreshadow

"I'd like to think the hard work goes a ways too.  Admittedly, I did have the advantage of riding someone else's coattails when it comes to the reputation department.  My predecessor, loathed public displays like this and tried to keep out of the spotlight as best he could.  But break enough bones in the Southside and make enough big whigs sweat and people start to talk.  'Course the name's big enough to put pressure on a guy now.  At least it makes the criminals scream for their lives."   Foreshadow shrugged after his response.  He'd seen various criminal expectations when they saw him appear in costume.  If they were lucky enough for him to leave them conscious before they actually caught sight of him that was.  Some thought he was some sort of spirit, some the original Foreshadow, others realized he wasn't David, and then of course there were those whom had no idea what he outfit represented.

"Anyways, no need for the humility.  Your reputation precedes you as well.  Perhaps I should be the one humbled here."  Foreshadow told Gabriel.

Blodeuwedd

El Heraldo
Whirling to face Blodeuwedd with bright eyes, the young paragon said "So, Blodeu! What'll we do first? I'd like to meet some people first, then food, how aboooouuuuuut..." he scanned the growing crowd, eyes narrowing thoughtfully until they hit on the superfast Leaguer "Velocity! Be cool to meet her again, this time not on the job."

Once inside Blodeuwedd drew back her hood letting her now long hair tumble out, as she did her normal suit morphed itself into a rather elegant gown still in it’s midnight blue. She’d left most of her normal equipment at home if it wasn’t for Dyrnwyn she wouldn’t appear to be suitable for this gathering at all. She smiled at Subito’s comment’s, as usual, he was like a kid in a sweetshop surrounded by his literal heroes. She wasn’t quite as starstruck but she was still impressed at a gathering of so many superheroes in one place.

Her tactical mind couldn’t help but notice that so many heroes in once place couldn’t help but but be a massive opportunity for some villain or other. But the league must have taken such thing into to consideration, and even villains could be filled with Christmas cheer.

“Typical you’re always thinking with your stomach. I’m fine so why don’t you stock up whilst I circle round and meet up some of these people?â€

Velocity

Velocity could not help but smile slightly as Maxima dropped down to one knee in order to be closer down to the level of everyone else.  She could imagine being so tall was at times very inconvenient.  But the muscular heroine certainly looked formidable.

"So, I know Silver pretty well," the speedster began, giving her friend a small smile, "what about you two?"  She continued, glancing at first Maxima and then Crusader.  "You been at the superhero thing for very long?"

"Myself, it has been...wow, seven years or so now, but then I got started when I was still in high school."

Velocity

Velocity could not help but smile slightly as Maxima dropped down to one knee in order to be closer down to the level of everyone else.  She could imagine being so tall was at times very inconvenient.  But the muscular heroine certainly looked formidable.

"So, I know Silver pretty well," the speedster began, giving her friend a small smile, "what about you two?"  She continued, glancing at first Maxima and then Crusader.  "You been at the superhero thing for very long?"

"Myself, it has been...wow, seven years or so now, but then I got started when I was still in high school."

Crusader

"About... three years, technically." Crusader had to seriously think about it, nodding slowly. Maxima's height didn't seem to bother him; if it did, he didn't show any real outward sign of noticing. "The mantle just sort of fell into my lap from the Crusader before me... and even then, that was after college. I can't help but feel like there's more I could be doing but it's been kind of a rough year."

Velocity

Crusader

"About... three years, technically." Crusader had to seriously think about it, nodding slowly. Maxima's height didn't seem to bother him; if it did, he didn't show any real outward sign of noticing. "The mantle just sort of fell into my lap from the Crusader before me... and even then, that was after college. I can't help but feel like there's more I could be doing but it's been kind of a rough year."

Maxima shook her head laughing.  "Guess that makes me the newbie.  If you go by when I put on the tights, I'm still a rookie." confessed Maxima now having even more of a respect for the people standing around her.  I couldn't image going to school and trying to be a superhero at the same time.  Who would have time for-- oh, right.  Super-speed.  thought Maxima now a bit envious of Velocity, and also annoyed that her own experiments into developing anything other than increased strength and toughness had gone precisely nowhere.  "I've had my powers for a little longer than a decade now, but they didn't start becoming as... pronounced... as they are until recently."  continued Maxima, now realizing that she could have been training for this lifestyle for a couple of years now, rather than come into it raw.  

Maxima shook her head laughing.  "Guess that makes me the newbie.  If you go by when I put on the tights, I'm still a rookie." confessed Maxima now having even more of a respect for the people standing around her.  I couldn't image going to school and trying to be a superhero at the same time.  Who would have time for-- oh, right.  Super-speed.  thought Maxima now a bit envious of Velocity, and also annoyed that her own experiments into developing anything other than increased strength and toughness had gone precisely nowhere.  "I've had my powers for a little longer than a decade now, but they didn't start becoming as... pronounced... as they are until recently."  continued Maxima, now realizing that she could have been training for this lifestyle for a couple of years now, rather than come into it raw.  

Crusader

"I can understand that; I wouldn't let the 'new' thing get you down. Compared to the other Crusaders before me, I've still got a ways to go. Kinda makes me a little envious of some of these kids..." He laughed at the notion, looking around the room. There were plenty of heroes not much older than some of his students. For all he knew, some of them could very well have been his students. "But I guess in a way, I've got heroing in my genes. Don't get me wrong... I don't have powers or anything, just a really good sense of direction!"

El Heraldo

“Typical you’re always thinking with your stomach. I’m fine so why don’t you stock up whilst I circle round and meet up some of these people?â€

Heraldo gave the young woman a wounded look "Aw, Blodeuwedd, don't say that! You know I don't [í]always think with my stomach, I use my heart too." Suddenly he took her hand in his and drew her closer, placing a quick peck on her cheek as he murmured "It's saying: "Wow.", and also that I haven't had anything since noon. Which is somebody's fault but I won't say whose."

The gravity vanished, Subito grinned, stepped away and started for the refreshments table, calling back over his shoulder "See you in a sec my lady! Don't start any new teams without letting me know, okay?"

The vast floor was already starting to fill up, so he wasn't quite the blazing comet he normally was at these kinds of meetings 'Though I can't really call them "those kinds", never been to one before!', but even so, in his flashy splendor the muscular teen was definitely a sight next to some of the more subdued or two-toned costumes gathered nearby. As the snacks were a little removed, he forged a cheerful path around the crowd, his powerful hearing taking in the conversations buzzing around his head and giving him quite a bit to think about as he passed a guy in clothes more weathered than he was used to in superheroic attire, an old Greek helm and a rather grounded air talking to the shining man in silver, gold and white who could only be Freedom Leaguer Gabriel! 'He does what we do, but with...less. Kinda sobering' the young man thought as he marched briskly past.

He hesitated on the threshold, catching some of the voices talking with Marcus. There were three of them, and glancing back saw the ursine runemaker nearly surrounded by some very familiar figures. He couldn't think who they were though, aside from the stance of one of the girls that summoned up vague recollections of pain and the Claremont Academy gym mat. There would be time to find out. First, food! Then, meeting some people.

Even for somebody who had experienced the Claremont cafeteria, with its exotic blend of the familiar and powerfully alien, the spread was incredible. Subito stuck to the Mexican and Spanish dishes for the most part, strong chili liberally ladled with Pique sauce, well-cooked meat and vegetables, pasteles and tacos taking pride of place among the mighty plate he emerged with. It didn't hinder him any though, as he approached Fleur and Starchaser with utter confidence.

'Alright, only one first impression after all. Let's do this.'

With a cheerful wave and warm smile he called over "Hi folks!I'm El Heraldo de la Dama Azul del Puerto Rico! Mostly just Heraldo. Hey man, nice cape." He added to Starchaser.  Turning smoothly to Fleur he desperately cleared away a foolish grin that was trying to take over his face and added politely "Thank you so much for this meeting, it's a great opportunity for us . And thanks especially for the food!" he bowed in a slightly old-fashioned way to the floral benefactress before rising, straightening his jacket and glancing back at the crowd "Anything I can help out with?"

Edited by Arichamus

Alexander smiled cheerfully at the floral heroine and shook her hand. "Thanks, Fleur, and merry Christmas to you too. I go by Starchaser." 

He recognised a few of the heroes there from the evening news, but most of them were total strangers to him. "I'm relatively new to this, so I figured this party would be a good opportunity to get to know a few people in the community. Without the added pressure of a giant robot or an asteroid, of course." Starchaser looked over the room again, "Sure seems like the League pulled out all the stops for this one, it's all very impressive!"

Fleur de Joie

Fleur smiled, half-turning to take in the whole of the room. "Well, 'tis the season and all that," she pointed out easily, extending an arm to indicate the whole party. "And we rarely get a chance to let everyone mix and mingle, or even almost everyone. There are a few folks still out patrolling tonight, so the rest can have a break. If you like, I can introduce you to some people, break the ice a bit? What's your specialty?" 

El Heraldo

... Turning smoothly to Fleur he desperately cleared away a foolish grin that was trying to take over his face and added politely "Thank you so much for this meeting, it's a great opportunity for us . And thanks especially for the food!" he bowed in a slightly old-fashioned way to the floral benefactress before rising, straightening his jacket and glancing back at the crowd "Anything I can help out with?"

With a quick apologetic smile for Alexander, Fleur turned half her attention to El Heraldo. "You're more than welcome for everything," she told him warmly, offering a nod in response to his bow, then an extended hand. "It's so good to see so many heroes gathering together when the fate of the world isn't at stake. Really, all you need to do this evening is enjoy yourself and have a good time mixing and mingling. Have you met Starchaser?" she asked, bringing the conversation back around. "Starchaser, this is El Heraldo, El Heraldo, Starchaser. El Heraldo is from Puerto Rico, I believe, one of our student heroes?" She glanced to the young man for confirmation, resolving once again to keep better tabs on comings and goings in the city. 

Glamazon

Thaelia looked at Marcus absent-minded as she formed the words for a response. "I too have little in the way of complaints either. Other than the fragility of these so called cellular devices. A bigger room would also be pleasant. As Giang says we are willing to listen to any ails." The Atlantean smiled before continuing. "So what is it you have decided to do at Parkhurst? I know these two were discussing their after graduation plans a while back. It might be interesting to hear from someone who has actually gone back to life outside the academy.  Tales of woe and intrigue?" Her voice elevating slightly with excitement at the prospect of hearing Arcturus' tales.

Edited by HG Morrison

Tsunami

Giang smiled slightly at Marcus' comment about complaining not doing him any good.  "Well, we would certainly be willing to listen to you complain.  Although I am not entirely sure that would do you any good either, other than to have the chance to do so."

"Things have been good for me so far.  This first semester has gone by rather quickly, and has been very quiet for the most part.  But then, given some of what happened back in the early half of the year, it would take a lot to compare."  The Asian teen replied.  That first semester she had spent at Claremont had indeed been a rather chaotic time, starting almost immediately with the events of the Day of Wrath at the start of the year and almost finishing the school year with herself, Subito and Serge being kidnapped by one of Dr. Sin's lieutenants and having to be rescued from a Pacific island training facility for Dr. Sin's operatives by Raven and a group of other Claremont students.

Thaelia looked at Marcus absent-minded as she formed the words for a response. "I too have little in the way of complaints either. Other than the fragility of these so called cellular devices. A bigger room would also be pleasant. As Giang says we are willing to listen to any ails." The Atlantean smiled before continuing. "So what is it you have decided to do at Parkhurst? I know these two were discussing their after graduation plans a while back. It might be interesting to hear from someone who has actually gone back to life outside the academy.  Tales of woe and intrigue?" Her voice elevating slightly with excitement at the prospect of hearing Arcturus' tales.

Arcturus

"I know the feeling... I broke my share of cell phones when I was at Claremont. They just don't make 'em sturdy enough for bear paws, I guess." Marcus laughed; for the longest time, he went without one because he was tired of replacing them.

"I had a little bit of an incident at the end of the semester that made it kind of hard to start college right after so I decided to do a little bit of personal research instead. Trying to get a solid grip on the whole magic thing." Vague as it was, Arc still didn't like talking about what had happened in May. Only he and one other person in the room knew what happened, and while he'd somewhat gotten over it, he still was dealing with some of the emotional and physical aftermath of it. His regenerative abilities, after all, couldn't heal everything.

"I've actually started looking at magic on a global scale. It's really more of a hobby than anything else... That field trip to Africa really got me thinking, but I haven't figured out a real, practical use for it or the random magical contraptions I've been building. Other than that... working in the Theatre District is what's paying the bills. Set design is actually a lot of fun. Keeps me occupied when I'm not rooting around in the dark for things that go bump in the night."

"But that's enough about me," he said, a bit embarrassed about having gone on as long as he did. He never was much for talking about himself. It was that party at War-Earth all over again. "I'm sure you guys have plenty of stories to tell, too!"