GM

"That would not sting so much" the voice said glumly "if the rest did not say the same. They lived in fear of what might happen, doubt over what had, ignorance of what went on around them, and still all refused. I am sorry, I do not mean to seem unpleasant, or a schemer. I just want to take away people's burdens. It is why this place exists. But if so few truly want to know..."

There was a worried silence.

"What about something...smaller? Such as when a deadly disaster could strike your planet, the answer to an age-long mystery, or where some deadly enemy of yours lurks? I can easily accomplish that!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimber wandered closer to the pool itself than the others and peered downward curiously. "Gosh, I didn't really think you'd be able to carry a real conversation!" she noted, waving at the body of water before pausing and waving to another point on its surface, a little unsure where to direct her attention. "Kind of a chatty Cathy for a pond! People say I talk a lot too, though, so that's alright! You get why people are suspicious, though, right? Offering something really shiny for nothing really does make it seem like you're probably up to no good." The young woman's tone was understanding and commiserating but her posture, hands planted on her hips, was firm. "Y'know that they say, 'there ain't no such thing as a free lunch', especially when it comes to magic! How about you tell us what you want and we go from there, eh?"

"I am not familiar with the local tales, but where I am from we have many tales of...dangerous offers," Indira admitted, hands politely behind her back as she inclined her head to study the pool. "Of course, there are also stories of truly benevolent beings who only wish to help. The danger, I think, is always in deciding which one you are talking to."

"Kimber has an excellent point," she agreed, smiling. "If you can think for yourself, then you have some say in the matter. We would enjoy hearing more about you, and about what you want out of all this."

GM

"Well..." the waters bubbled a little, and the mental voice grew much more hesitant "what could I need? I am a thinking spring, all I require is shade and not having my spirit devoured, and people to talk to. The list of material or spiritual wealth that would be of any use whatever to me is very slim. Not to mention how little there is that would remain intact once tossed in-that's it!"

The waters suddenly began frothing with excitement in time with the voice's glee "I have it! From observing the stream of time I have seen humanity toss coins into fountains, and with the right spell, I could send that money to one of the organizations meaning to better the world! It is genius! 'The Wishing Spring', just a coin and you have your heart's desire!"

"What do you think? Is-is one coin too much? I would not wish to give people burdens or make any trouble." It added worriedly, though the voice soared with hope "We could test it, if you so wish. I cannot imagine the knowledge I give harming anyone. In truth, I do not think the magic even allows it."

Edited by Arichamus

Corbin blinks at the...earnest good nature of the future-seeing wishing well.

"Wait. So...not only can you grant this past-present-future sight to anyone, instead of just one person ever, but you want to...make yourself a public wishing well? 

I...I mean, people don't have to toss a coin in, but even if they do they can just toss in the smallest possible denomination coin, I guess. If you get a thousand of those a day it can add up. 

But...what, you want this place here to end up a tourist site?"

Honestly, and this was probably unfair on Corbin's part, he was still stuck on the water spring talking back to them like an excited freshman. 

Kimber looked as if she'd been struck by lightning, beaming with so much cheerful excitement there seemed to be a very real danger that she would burst. "Ohmigoodness that is totally outrageous! Tourist attractions are awesome! I mean, duh, right, that why people go to them!" The young woman danced about from foot to foot as she imagined the cave cleaned up a bit for the public, though probably not too much; she knew a thing or two about the importance of cultivating a location's gloomy ambiance. "Plus you're out of the way enough that I bet you'd only get people who like to travel and they always have the best stories! ...although if you can see the future it sort of seems like you should have come up with this sooner."

"It would attract attention, however," Indira mused. "If you believe not being devoured is a concern, or if the knowledge you provided was obviously supernatural, it would attract much attention. Many would come to seek your gift and over you money for it, but others would attempt to exploit you for personal gain. Anonymity is boring, but it is also safe, and you cannot easily get it back."

"....or, perhaps, I assume you cannot," she amended, smiling. "I confess we know very little about you outside a single story. But it is worth considering."

GM

"I can give one total revelation or unburdening per person" explained the spring "if I should restrict it to one part of the whole, one answer given, one weight taken, then I have not the least idea how many visitors I could help. I expect it would be a very large number, though!" Burbling a little as it considered the questions Kimber and Corbin had raised, and the added point about anonymity, the spring was silent for a short while.

"Time...is something only of limited understanding to me," it admitted at last, the half-heard 'voice' a little glum "Seeing and understanding what I see is simple, but how that affects me, what I can do in it is more difficult. It is not in my nature to change what is here. That is unhelpful, I do not doubt, but the best I can offer."

"I know what WAS and IS, but will be? Not even a clue, I cannot grasp it for myself, only guess it or make a channel from the future to a willing soul. Perhaps it would be best to keep hidden, I do not know, but I do know I want to help, make ways clearer and hope brighter, and if more know where to find me, then...wait! YOU three know now, and(I do ask your pardon) I have seen you among wondrous people, perhaps I could serve them and you, with those who come to your confidence or else stumble over me reaping the gift of my water?"

The light playing in its depths wavered uncertainly "It would prevent those with evil in their hearts from misusing my gifts, and often you valiants need more knowledge than you have, but...it is no surety. Nor is keeping hid. What is your will?"

• 2 weeks later...

Corbin had a sudden epiphany.

"I just had a thought of how you can help us, and help other people too. There's been someone running around these parts, messing with people's minds. The descriptions make me think they have a Ring like mine; not a copy, but a similar artifact with powers focused on different specialties. Would it be possible for you to reveal to me who this person is and where they are right now? Or would that be outside your power?"

He glanced at the girls with him with a knowing smile.

"Help us sort that mess out, and we can figure out if there's a way to bring more people here. You do seem like you just want to help people."

GM

"Unless the water passes your lips, I cannot bring understanding along with the knowledge, but I will tell what I can."

The pool's waters burbled, the light in its depths growing stronger until it shone like a heavenly spotlight, despite not seeming to reach even halfway to the hole in the ceiling. Despite its brilliance not changing from a cold white glare, each of the three saw the same vivid images: a tower of red stone on a moonlit hill, a head like a purple-skinned elf's with unkempt white hair and a haggard expression, and a multifaceted gem that absorbed the pool's light rather than reflecting it.

"The one you hunt for is doing all this for that stone. Though what it has to do with that Ring, or me, I cannot say. Also..." the outlines of three figures appeared, moving toward the red tower "...these others are going to him. From what you say and I have seen, this is not wise."

Edited by Arichamus
  • 2 weeks later...

Indira's eyes flicked to a solid, light-devouring black in the space between two blinks, featureless voids studying the images they were shown with great interest. Or, at least, as much interest as featureless voids could manage. "A curious goal," she admitted, glancing at the others and then back to the vision of the tower. "I do hope that those are not our new...friends," she added, though remembering their odd behavior put a measure of hesitation into her words. "That may complicate things."

"Do you know what it is that makes this stone so important? I understand if you do not have specific details, but the images and the effort make it seem...."

She trailed off for a few seconds, making a quiet, unfocused humming noise that Kimber and Corbin would recognize as Indira grasping for a word she couldn't quite translate. "....like...a thing of power. Perhaps of significant magic, the kind you hear about in stories."

• 2 weeks later...
"Ooh, purple," Kimber observed curiously, tilting her head slightly as the pond displayed images. "Probably are!" she added when Indira questioned the identities of the three indistinct forms running toward danger. The poltergeist didn't appear as concerned as her friend over the possibility; rather she was practically bouncing up and down with excitement. "That's fine though, 'cause even if we don't know where the big red tower is we can just track those guys, follow them to the wrinkly elf and scoop up the spooky rock before it can cause any trouble! Easy-peasy! Thanks, magic water guy! That's super helpful!" Snapping her fingers as something jogged her memory, she added, "Say, have you seen a horse statue around here anywhere? It's kind of a long story but I promised someone I'd try to find it."

GM

"A horse? There was one, nearby..."

A fourth image flickered into view, this time of a rocky, brush-strewn hillside like the one they'd come down. The valley they were was just visible behind the slope, and the Moon shone low on the left-hand side.

A horse was carved out of black granite, head high and posed as if in mid-canter, standing proudly before the dry ruins of a small villa. The walls were broken, and the main house was a gutted brick shell. One of the sculpture's legs was gone, and the rest of it had been worn and pitted by the ceaseless wind and dust, but it still remained.

"I hope you find what you look for within."

"As for what that gem is, I cannot say. It is a powerful thing, but...shadowed...my eyes cannot pierce it, or read its true purpose. The wielder is likewise sheltered. I know the stone is not evil..." the water bubbled a little, the mental 'voice' evidently at a loss for what to say "...I am glad to be of some little help. With luck, I can be so again, and then you will not fear to drink. Good night. May you walk in the Light."

"By the way," it added, as the Clarmeont alumni began to leave "call me Loholo" at the last syllables, the ground trembled faintly, and the voice faded away. When they emerged in the canyon, the three Spaniards were nowhere in sight. Not a sound could be heard besides the soft chuckling of water and the creaking of cicadas. Even the air was still. The Moon had sunk westward, almost behind the ring of hills, leaving the world in a deeper twilight.

• 2 weeks later...

Corbin's face set into a determined scowl as he listened to Loholo give more information. He nodded once.

"Right then. Let's saddle up, ladies. Whoever this is, they have at least one, if not two, artifacts that let them mess with minds against people's wills. That's the kind of shenanigans we stop."

He lifted into the air, his power tightly leashed so as to not cause undue stress toward Kimber, though his eyes were unconsciously covered with small sheets of blue flame (that didn't appear to impede his vision at all). Clearly the thought of this mysterious figure outright mind-controlling 3 civilians had him upset.

"We have us a Sauron wannabe to throw down with. Ladies..."

Suddenly, he turned, a slight smirk on his lips. He knew both of them were not quite all they appeared to be, even more so than himself.

"Let's transform, and roll out."

And with a quick flash of blue light, Cobalt Templar was flying through the air, armored in blue, maroon cape flapping in the breeze. He struck a noble but imposing figure, that fire still burning where his eyes were normally visible. He kept his pace slow enough his companions could easily catch up, though he clearly intended to make good time to catch up with the errant locals whose minds had been shanghaied.

Edited by KnightDisciple

Indira shivered, her clothes and human features melting away into smooth silver.

'Human features' in this case apparently included being bipedal - even as her face became three black eyes on an otherwise flat metal surface, her knees reversed and brought her down to a pose and shape not too unlike some kind of alien warhound. "I may be able to track our three friends once we are outside," she hummed, turning her head up to look at her companions. "Hopefully they have not been able to get too far from us."

Floating gently into the air mid-skip, Kimber's form faded into pale blue transparency while her outfit blurred out of focus abruptly as though it was at the very edge of the peripheral vision of anyone watching, refocusing into view as a tattered reapers cloak. The hood hung low over her head, hiding her eyes while leaving a chipper smile of pure snow white teeth visible. "I'm sure we'll catch up if we hurry!" she declared optimistically, twirling in a tight spiral like a pirouetting ballerina unbound by gravity before pulling her arms in tight and following after her friends. "If they're afraid I'll be able to smell it on them! They probably would be if they knew what was chasing them, eh, hahaha!"

GM

The castle above them wasn't hard to get up to, even aside from the facts of the trio's natures. It still loomed over them as they entered, a reddish, dry husk of stone and broken iron where a living fortress had once been, ruling the valley with unquestioned vigilance. There wasn't even a worn stone or rusted shield to give any idea of who the castle had even belonged to, giving the place a strange, timeless anonymity. 

Tracking their quarry wasn't as hard as deciphering the tower's past: a deep purple light shone in a large window above the courtyard, and a thick, slow voice spoke long and clearly enough to follow.

<"No, they found it."> Ion's voice flowed like molasses through the air, every word heavy and distinct. A long pause.

<"We can't know. We asked to forget."> All of the Claremont alumni felt a flash of anger <"How were we supposed to know? Anyway, you can go look now.">

Christina spoke up like a sleepwaker <"Yeah, and if you just told them-"> cold rejection <"-no, okay...">

Alfonso's voice followed with something like real expression <"You're not going to change our memories, are you?">

They were at last close enough to hear the 'host' of the Indigo Ring. His voice was hoarse and cracked. "I don't want to. But I have no choice if I want to keep hidden."

The purple light flared, and all of the heroes could feel the mind-altering power beginning to coalesce.

That was all Cobalt Templar needed to hear.

His fiery aura flared just a bit, his cape grew a bit longer unconsciously (to add a bit of drama), and his wide-shouldered form barreled through the window, shattering stone and glass without so much as a flinch. He landed in a crouch, then slowly stood up, his fire swirling around and in his hands before coalescing into an intimidating, over-sized, two-handed hammer. He took a single step forward, clearing the way for Wraith and Ghost Girl to enter the space as well. 

"Your foul mind-magics will touch them no longer. Stop what you are doing. Or we will make you stop."

Wraith scuttled in through the hole behind Cobalt Templar like some kind of awful, liquid movie monster - rather than contend with the rubble and debris of her cohort's more dramatic entrance, she opted to simply crawl across the side of the hole and up onto the wall, where her joints reversed and her head turned inside-out so that her eyes were on the correct side to view the scene before her.

"Mental manipulation is a crime in most societies," she politely pointed out, "and those few places it is allowed do not sound like good places to be. It is harm, and cannot be tolerated by civilized people."

GM

The scene was about what the trio expected.

A tall, lean man with purple skin made even more so by the light emanating from a ring on one gloved hand, was standing in front of a semi-circle made up of the three Spaniards sitting on the floor. He was dusty and streaked, from his matted silver hair to his remarkably intact boots. His other clothes, a sleeveless shirt under a vest and rugged pants, were of an odd cut and material, faded and patched though they were, and the face that whipped around to face his assailants was pierced in the blade-like ears with a metal that shone stark-blue despite the indigo ambience.

Drawing back with wide eyes from the fire and steel confronting him, the alien reached hastily up to touch the one thing he wore that was clean: an oblong, many-faced gem on a leather cord around his neck. As soon as his fingers met the dark jewel, a flood of darkness swept around him. His hoarse voice brimming with frustration, the host barked "Guz't, not more of you! Look, I had no plans to harm them, simply to remove their memories of me so I can't be tracked. They've told me what I needed. The place is close. Just let me go, then I disappear, no harm done. Please?"

Even behind the shield, the Indigo Ring gleamed. His instinctive turtling might mean something, or it could just be the cringing of a stag when the hounds show up.

• 4 weeks later...

Cobalt Templar's eyes narrowed further.

"That has to be one of the weakest defenses of actions ever. 'I totally wasn't going to hurt them except by violating their minds and robbing them of their free will, just like dozens of other people.' Nope, sorry. You don't get away scott-free with this one. Plus, you're using one of the Seven. That makes what you've done my responsibility."

Well there's nothing out there that explicitly says that, but the girls know Corbin's one of those "responsibility" type guys, and dealing with the Seven Rings is something they know he's been doing for a while now.

"So either you stand down. Or we make you stand down."

• 2 weeks later...

GM

"None of your 'dozens' suffered any permanent harm, Cobalt Templar. And unless they drive themselves mad wondering what it was they can't remember, none will. And I never so much as touched any mind that didn't have some inkling of a clue. If you want me to give myself up after I've seen what I need to see in the pool, I'll be happy to. You're right about one thing, I really shouldn't get away with this."

Warping concave, the shield collapsed, and the indigo man took off the Indigo Ring with a jerk. Holding it up with a fingerless gloved hand, he looked at it for a brief moment of longing, but mastering himself tossed the artefact at Corbin's armored feet, where it clattered and rolled gently to a halt in its brother's flaming shadow.

"Never should have taken that thing. Should have left it buried with the Caliph. Got desperate after years of looking." Dropping to the ground, In'Dego looked wearily at his three hunters "May I at least be escorted to the pool? I have to know when they come for the Night Stone. I know they will. I dream it all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

OOC: Because apparently I am the only PC in this thread now...

Without taking his eyes off the other being, Cobalt Templar gestured with one hand, and another hand of etheral blue flame reached down and picked up the priceless artifact-weapon, bringing it up to a pocket hidden under fire-forged armor that was quickly sealed away. 

"Well you get some faint thanks for finding it and then giving it up. How about this. You give us that shiny rock around your neck, and then we consider taking you to the pool. You ask your one question of the pool, then we take you away, and take the stone away somewhere else.

Just one thing: Who is this "they" you are so worried about coming for this Night Stone?"

OCC: The twist was inside Cobalt all along!

GM

In'Dego snorted, waving a hand dismissively at the arid landscape outside

"If I knew who they were, why would I be stumbling around the desert of Andalusia and not just telling somebody? I am not adverse to asking for help, whatever 'Ryder says. I know they are dangerous, they have something to do with my world of Zultas, and they will do...something to try and get to the Night Stone."

Corbin's demand that he hand the cosmic artifact over had an instant effect. The man flinched like the words had been a blow. His bony knuckles turned pale blue as they clutched more tightly at the gem hanging from his neck. Wide-eyed and almost trembling, it was only with an effort that the alien drew himself back up into grim resolve. "I...I can't, Cobalt Templar. My father gave this to me. To keep it safe from evil. It's the only thing I have from Home. As soon as I know, I'll go with it wherever you want, go hide in the depths of Sub-Terra, or be vaporized with it. But I will never abandon this, the last true thing of Zultas, untainted by tyranny."

"Your cause is, I admit, more just than mine, Templar. But I will never give this up. If you want it out of my hands, you will have to use force, physical or mental, to pry it from them. I won't fight you, and I'm not leaving now I'm so close to my goal, but I have spent too long with this thing, and it means too much, for me to give it up now."

During the confrontation, the three Spaniards had slipped away into a nearby hallway, watching with wide eyes.

Edited by Arichamus
  • 3 weeks later...

Wraith was quiet and impassive for most of the exchange, and someone who didn't know better could think that she was just a solid metal fixture on the wall. But the longer it went on the narrower her eyes got in an expression of...confusion?

"I do not understand," she admitted, shifting a bit. "You had dreams that some unknown person was going to take your family artifact, but even if it is true, you do not know why? Or who? And for this you have touched and altered the minds of multiple innocent people, attempting to find a magic pool you could not even know truly existed?"

"Dangerous is not truly enough," she chided, one arm releasing the wall and becoming a blade as long as most (Earth) men were tall. "I am dangerous, but even if I wanted your stone I do not think I would do evil with it. To have taken such steps with so little information may perhaps make you desperate, not wise. I am tempted to bring him to the spring if only to test the validity of his claims."