I do.  Though I'm really not someone you should be talking to.  I'm kind of boring.

In real life Elias was near monotone, dry, detached.  However, his mind was something else, roiling, seething, a storm tossed ocean.  Aware that he was talking to a child, he very carefully was strangling his emotions, and his thoughts.  He didn't want her to see them, despite how open he could be, even he had to admit that was a calculated defense mechanism, but here... like this... it was much more difficult.

And a second person?  The teen telepath tried to empty his thoughts, but the hyperkinetic thoughts of the girl.  Pushing everything into a point, focusing on that point, as he tried to dim out the distractions, worried about the loss of control now more than ever.

If it will get you trouble it might be better to not talk to me, and it will definitely be better to pay attention right now.

Elias is quite right, came another mental voice, this one also female, but much older, smooth and assured and just a bit stern. Definitely a mom voice. Holly, you should know better than to go casting around blindly looking for psychics. That could be very dangerous, plus it's rude. I apologize if we disturbed you, Elias. The voice was a bit friendlier on that last bit as she courteously opened her public mind for an introduction. A calm and strong mind, disciplined, experienced, burdened with a lifetime of memories and worries but bearing up gracefully under the weight. A little amused at the mercurial desires and emotions of youth, and at the same time a bit wistful and nostalgic. The psychic touch withdrew again after a moment, not cutting him off, but leaving him be. 

Out on the campus, Paige touched a hand to her daughter's shoulder and gave her a look. Holly frowned and rounded her shoulders inward sulkily, but focused her attention on the tour for the moment, at least. "Careful, Will," Paige called to her son. "Better find out the weapons policy on campus before you go showing off. And make sure of your footing," she added, shaking her head as he all but danced backwards down the sidewalk. He really was so much like his father. 

For his part, Richard had taken out an instant camera and started snapping pictures of Will's colorful display - but put it away, agreeing with his wife. There was time to do everything here. "C'mon, boy, save it for sparring practice!" he said, zipping around the group to punctuate his sentences. "You don't want them thinking you're Hollywood." He kept pace with the group as Mali led them through the tour, keeping the camera well away once other students started walking around. He remembered being a teen with a secret ID pretty well. Once inside the gym, he kept busy by zipping along and checking out the pictures of Claremont's very active intramural sports community. The tour was taking a while, at least to his own enhanced perceptions, but that wasn't so bad - a few extra minutes with his boy before they left him there didn't seem quite so bad. In his wife's direction, he thought idly,

Wonder if any of these kids want to be on TV.

before moving on as they circled the Zen garden. He slipped back and put an arm around Paige as they watched Will, wanting to let the moment last just a little longer - this close they really were an iconic couple, at least if you watched the Discovery Channel. "Just think, Holly-girl, a couple more years and this'll be your school too!" He'd missed the psychic conversations entirely. 

Giang Trang was floating in the rough waters of a vast ocean, the waves and tides swirling around her.  The churning waters of her emotions and concerns threatened to submerge the Asian teen and pull her deep beneath the surface.  But such danger would hardly be a concern for her in the real world, and her in her own thoughts it was no different.

The teenager focused on the current and eddies around her, subtly shifting them bit by bit, just as she was able to control the flow of water in the physical world.  Slowly, all the chaotic thoughts, stress and emotions that had been rolling through Giang began to subside, as the waters around her began to calm. 

After a short while, she was floating in the center of a still stretch of water, a smooth as a sheet of glass.  Giang gave herself a short while to take comfort in the order and control she had reestablished, before letting out a deep breath and opening her eyes to the rising sun of the morning.

The Asian teen was sitting crosslegged in the middle of Claremont's Zen Garden, her back and posture straight and perfect.  Although it was a cold December morning, she was only wearing a black T-shirt and dark grey yoga pants, the cold not bothering her in the least.

She still had a bit of time before her first class of the morning as she heard voices approaching..

"Pffft. Those guys in Hollywood wish they were as awesome as I am. But you know I have great balance, Mom. Grandma said so herself!"

Still, the boy listened, and the swords disappeared as he turned back to face the way they were going. He did apply just a little super-speed to get back with the rest of the group (barring his father who was zipping around at his own pace that Will hoped to one day match).

He slowed a bit, taking in the Zen garden. For a speed-obsessed teen, one of the few things that could make him slow down and just be was a place of natural serenity. He smiled, a soft smile of genuine appreciation for the space.

His next expression was also genuine, but it was perhaps a bit less serene.

It was here that his mother's discipline introduced itself. He almost spoke a loud, boisterous greeting, but reconsidered. One thing you learned in a house with psychics was that if they were in some sort of meditative pose and looks concentrated, disturbing them was a Bad Idea. Instead, he glanced to their tour guide with an upraised eyebrow, seeming to inquire about the protocol in such a situation.

Mali smiled. "This is Giang. She's a good friend of mine. She looks to be finishing her meditation, so." She leaned in and said. "Giang, hi. It's Mali, I'm doing a tour for a new student, and I thought I'd introduce the two of you. Will, this is Giang, Giang, Will." She said. She kind of hoped that maybe Will would turn some of his charm on Giang, but then she felt guilty for that. It wasn't nice to think that way for either Will or Giang.

Still, she did kinda hope it.

Giang smiled as she saw Mali appear, leading a teenage boy she did not recognize.  It was rather apparent that Mali was providing a tour, now that she and Giang were both part of the Senior class at the school, they both were asked to provide such tours for new arrivals.  Rising back up gracefully, Giang gave a small bow towards Will as he was introduced.

"It is very nice to meet you Will.  Welcome to Claremont."  The Asian teen saw a man and a woman, along with an eight year old girl, walking a short distance behind whom she took to be Will's parents and likely younger sister.

Elias sat there a moment, and frowned.  He realized he was going to get into trouble for this, but... it wasn't like that was something that really modified his behavior, truth be told.  So his boots were quickly laced up, his mask was pulled on, as he rushed from his room, and head up to the roof.  That kind of access was needed at a school like this.  Though it was locked after curfew, but right now not a problem.  He raced up the stairs as he pulled his sweater on and zipped up.

Shouldering open the door, he ran headlong towards the edge of the roof.  He had been practicing for with this, but this would be the dry run, but he dove from the building them, holding his lips out as he did so, and reached through his web and spread it out from his form, while pulling the strands together.  And...

He didn't plummet to the ground, it wasn't perfect, but he hadn't expected that, and it felt odd, but he raced through the air over the commons.  Banking a little ungainly with the effort.

Holly, look up.

Will gave a smile and a semi-formal bow, an irrepressible grin on his face once more. He was clearly trying once more to be charming. Success: mixed. Sincerity: high.

"It is my inestimable pleasure to make your acquaintance, Giang. If you and Mali are representative of even a portion of the students at this fine institution, I cannot deny that it will be a most enjoyable stay here."

His gaze did wander over the Zen Garden, though. Something about it really was utterly relaxing.

"Is there a schedule for this space or something? Or do we have multiple spaces like it scattered across the campus? I'm mostly a man of action, but every once in a while a little peace and quiet can be nice."

While nowhere near the sheer power of his sister or the experience-honed skill of his mother, William did possess at least some rudimentary psychic talent. Perhaps thankfully for all involved, it didn't allow him to just read surface thoughts or emotions.

"But, hey, the whole "find my inner peace" thing is pretty awesome, but please tell me there's fun stuff on campus? I don't have a car, yet, but I can't bring people along like Dad can with my speed, so I need something to do after I bust out the homework and stuff, you know? Like, movies, games, sports, that stuff. This place isn't just work-work-work, is it?"

Paige and Holly caught up with the group in the Zen Garden, Holly giving the plants a good once-over while Paige smiled at the meditating student. "Hi Giang, it's nice to meet you. I'm Paige Cline, and this is my husband Richard and our daughter Holly. We're moving Will into his dorm room today." I don't want to hear a word from you about ninjas, she warned Richard on a tight psychic wavelength, though there was a hint of amusement under the sternness. We want him to make friends here. 

Holly abruptly paused in her study of the foliage, tilting her head back and looking to the sky like a penguin watching an airplane. A second later, Paige looked up as well, seeming puzzled. "Wooowww," Holly said, looking rather impressed. "Elias, is that you?" she called. 

"Radical," said Richard sincerely, glad to see the new arrival. He knew how much his daughter dreamt of flight, even if that was one thing she couldn't get from her parents. He zipped over and pumped Elias's hand fast. "Richard Cline, nice to meet you!" He winked. "We're just showing my boy Will here around campus before his big day. Good to see somebody's watching the skies!" He knew Will wasn't as fast as that Bolt kid, but that guy was long-gone from all he'd heard - and you had to big somebody up if they were going to success. 

My lips are sealed, Richard thought back at his wife, a zippered lip and winking eye in his mind. He and Paige shared a mutual distance for the violence-loving, closeted, mysterious culture of dojos and back alley brawls that ninjas ran in, but he knew she wasn't quite as concerned about them as he was. "Son, you're a supersonic speedster, you don't need a car! Cars need you!" 

"It is an honor to  meet you Mr. and Mrs. Cline."  Giang replied to Paige, her tone becoming more formal as she bowed to them.  "And it is nice to meet you as well Holly."  She added, although the young girl was quickly distracted by Elias' rather impressive appearance.

The Asian teen turned back to Will to answer some of his questions.  "There is no schedule for this section of the garden, all students have equal access to the space and are just asked to provide consideration for those that were here first.  There is usually enough room to accommodate all that might wish to use it at once."

Giang then smiled slightly at Will's question about whether there was "fun stuff" to do on campus, strongly suspecting he might have a very different definition of that than she did, although hers had adapted some over the last year thanks to several of her friends, Mali included.  "There is a good amount of opportunity for relaxation here, and the school has a variety of facilities for the students to use.  There are common rooms in the dorms and there are regular movie nights and video game competitions that take place.  And enough of the older students have cars that it is usually not too difficult for people to arrange for some things off campus."

'It is.'  Came the terse response for Elias as he glided down, and came into a landing, albeit a bit not as easy of a landing.  His momentum sent him skittering and skidding up to a stop, just as Richard Cline was up greeting him, and he looked at the man, a bit startled, then he narrowed his eyes behind his mask.

"... I am not a radical.  I would appreciate not having such..."  His tone immediately going to suspicious, as Richard touched upon a huge nerve then, and Elias pulled his hand free.  Of course he didn't know that would immediately send Elias careening into a flashback, and then stopped, he closed his eyes, and let out a slow breath, before nodded a little.  "I was just trying something... your daughter found me."  And he seemed to relax a bit, and gently pulling the hand free.

My lips are sealed, Richard thought back at his wife, a zippered lip and winking eye in his mind. He and Paige shared a mutual distance for the violence-loving, closeted, mysterious culture of dojos and back alley brawls that ninjas ran in, but he knew she wasn't quite as concerned about them as he was. "Son, you're a supersonic speedster, you don't need a car! Cars need you!" 

Will rolled his eyes while his parents couldn't see (though with a mind-reading mother it was probably a moot point). He turned to speak to his father for a moment. 

"I didn't say I need it for the speed, dad. I need it for the transport capacity, but more importantly, the style.

He turned back to Giang and gave her one of those "what are you going to do" shrugs.

"It is an honor to  meet you Mr. and Mrs. Cline."  Giang replied to Paige, her tone becoming more formal as she bowed to them.  "And it is nice to meet you as well Holly."  She added, although the young girl was quickly distracted by Elias' rather impressive appearance.

The Asian teen turned back to Will to answer some of his questions.  "There is no schedule for this section of the garden, all students have equal access to the space and are just asked to provide consideration for those that were here first.  There is usually enough room to accommodate all that might wish to use it at once."

Giang then smiled slightly at Will's question about whether there was "fun stuff" to do on campus, strongly suspecting he might have a very different definition of that than she did, although hers had adapted some over the last year thanks to several of her friends, Mali included.  "There is a good amount of opportunity for relaxation here, and the school has a variety of facilities for the students to use.  There are common rooms in the dorms and there are regular movie nights and video game competitions that take place.  And enough of the older students have cars that it is usually not too difficult for people to arrange for some things off campus."

Will seemed genuinely attentive as Giang explained the garden, as well as the non-study opportunities on campus. 

"Garden policy seems reasonable. Just thought I'd ask. Also, movie nights? Fantastic! Gotta love it. Oh, I hope someone has a collection of totally terrible, awful films from, like, the 50s or whatever. You know, like on that one show where they sit there and poke fun at the movie? That's just a total blast if you get like six people doing it. As for video game competitions, hah! I bet I'll be medaling before you know it. Oh, I hope at least some of them are those group party games, though. Those are great, too. Like the ones where you're a rock band or whatever."

He held up his hands as he spoke the next part.

"I'm great at those; the stuff on screen just moves in slow-motion to me, and I've got quick hands! I'm not so great at real guitars though, and for some reason my folks won't let me try my hand at drums."

Probably because they heard his attempts at guitar playing.

'It is.'  Came the terse response for Elias as he glided down, and came into a landing, albeit a bit not as easy of a landing.  His momentum sent him skittering and skidding up to a stop, just as Richard Cline was up greeting him, and he looked at the man, a bit startled, then he narrowed his eyes behind his mask.

"... I am not a radical.  I would appreciate not having such..."  His tone immediately going to suspicious, as Richard touched upon a huge nerve then, and Elias pulled his hand free.  Of course he didn't know that would immediately send Elias careening into a flashback, and then stopped, he closed his eyes, and let out a slow breath, before nodded a little.  "I was just trying something... your daughter found me."  And he seemed to relax a bit, and gently pulling the hand free.

In a blur, Will was standing next to his father, smile over his face, hand extended for Elias to shake.

"Dad's stuck in the 80's. He just meant you're cool. Awesome. That your flight is impressive in a good way. Hi, my name's Will. William. Great to meet you, glad to see there's one or two other guys on campus. You'd think a school full of beautiful girls-"

He stops and turns, giving Giang and Mali a cheesy smile-and-wink combo that's so cheesy and terrible it has to be over-done on purpose.

"-would be a dream, but the way I see it, having some time to pull back and regroup just makes the experience more exciting! Plus a bit of competition stirs the blood, you know?"

With Will obviously making friends, Richard and Paige both made a conscious effort to step back and let their boy get to know people. Maybe Will wasn't exactly like the other kids, not after growing up with two ex-supervillains for parents, but he looked like he was going to do just fine, Richard mused. They took more pictures, including a couple of Will's new friends, but kept their distance as they circled back to the dorms where Will would be living. Richard took a moment to zip away and come back with Will's few bags, then embraced his son just like all the hippie parents they'd gotten to know out west. "Just run over if you need anything, boy. Don't let them work you too hard." He stepped back and ruffled Will's hair, something he saw no reason to stop now that the boy was as tall as he was. Holly hugged her brother too, albeit a little begrudgingly; having been not-so-clandestinely studying Elias most of the time they'd been outside. 

• 5 weeks later...

"I'm not familiar with any of that.  I am... there were other concerns in my family."

Elias stared at the hand, an he glanced to Richard again, and then to Mali and Giang.  He already knew the story, just like he knew that Will wasn't on his wavelength.  He sighed a little and took the other boy's hand and gave it a brief, curt shake, and slipped it out of his grasp again.  "I am aware of what you are talking about, but it is not something I do."  Elias voice was sonorous despite his size, with it's hard to place accent, though more than a little stiff, cold.  Whatever his feelings were, it wasn't readily betrayed.  Something Holly and Paige had felt to a degree, there was restraint, obscuring something else.

And now that she had touched his mind, Holly could see far more into how he behaved, how he moved showing something hints at his thoughts.  Of course he also glanced to Holly as well, and he nodded to the girl, knowing she was staring at him quite a bit.  When he looked back at will he shrugged a little bit.  "I can help show around, but if you'd prefer being shown around by them, well, I understand."

Will waves off the talk of not knowing the reference.

"I know most of it because I grew up around him. My point is, he was just complimenting you. Just trying to clear the air, Elias."

Will was cheerful but perceptive, and didn't try to draw out the handshake. He continued to present a friendly, smiling face, though.

"Haha, it's cool if it's not your thing, man. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just trying to keep the mood going."

And then Elias would feel the pyschic equivalent of a text message in his mind.

--It's one of my coping mechanisms. Or greeting mechanisms. Whatever. I flirt with girls and such. It's just how I am. I really am sorry if I made you uncomfortable or whatever.--

At Elias's offer to help with the tour, Will's grin broadened and he did a fist-pump.

"No, by all means, man! If you're up for it you're free to join the party. Up to you, up to you."

Giang gave a polite nod as Will began talking about movie nights and video game competitions.  Although the Asian teen had gotten accustomed to attending movie nights at times, she had not developed any interest in video games, so had little to comment on regarding Will's comments about them.

When the somewhat hyperactive teen moved over by his father to address Elias and then made his flirtatious comment and wink to her and Mali, Giang could not help but glance over to Mali as Will went back to chatting with Elias, rolling her eyes ever so slightly.

Will's intrusion hit a wall, and Elias' expression went flat, even behind the mask.  Rather than responding in kind, he said it,  "First thing, unless you're positive that the person you send the message to is okay with it you will end up in a very boring class about the ethics of psionic abilities.  Even if your intentions were good.  Second, barring us working together I prefer not to have such connection."  There was no insult, rather it came across as grave as it was intended, as he pulled the mask off of his face.

Elias was a bit of a fuddy duddy, he also had gotten in trouble for going off and endangering himself rather consistently.  It wasn't uncommon to see him hurt in some capacity around the campus.  Especially considering he insisted on full contact when he practiced with Mali, which was in part to exercise his telekinetic abilities.

"I don't know what you mean by 'my thing.'"  His brows furrowing owlishly as he looked at Will.

Will's eyebrows went up in an expression of alarm...before he actually looked a bit sad and apologetic. He seemed to only barely keep from saying a word that would get him hours of psychic lecture in the space of a minute from his mother.

"Look, I'm sorry. You're right, that was uncalled for, and my only explanation, though not excuse, is that in coming here I was so glad to be able to "cut loose" that I forgot that not everyone grew up in a psionic household where mental conversations were the norm. Or even if they did they don't want strangers texting them. So, um, my apologies again. Is this going to be a rift between us or do we still have a chance at friendship?"

It was a struggle to not use common lingo with Elias, but he could tell that the young psion was raised very differently and had trouble understanding Will when he got going.

"And as for the "your thing" bit, I was, in that specific moment, referring to competition seeking romantic partnership with girls. Not everyone likes girls, or is seeking romance, or whatever, and I was expressing acceptance of that fact and that it was your decision and I was co-er, I was okay and supportive of it either way. More generally, someone saying something is "my thing" or "your thing" is referring to an action or behavior or hobby or whatnot that someone enjoys or otherwise pursues. So, for instance, making awesome TV shows is my parents' "thing". Flirting and acting suave is "my thing". But it's not your thing. Does that make sense at all?"

• 2 weeks later...

He grasped the bottom of his mask and pulled it off of his face as he looked at will with his hazel colored eyes.  Without trying, the young telepath gaze tended to be a bit strong, a little intrusive, not that he was touching Will's mind in the slightest.

"Any touch is hazardous, especially if you don't know who you are dealing with.  As a telepath I can confirm.this."  His voice was grave, as he looked at Will levelly.  "And your sister and mother have now touched my mind as well.  These have been without mal-intent.  So I wont carry a grudge over this, you know now."  He reached up and tapped at his own temple then as he still regarded the speedster so severely.  "There are things in here you don't want to ever see, Will.  If I an thinking about them when someone 'texts' me, I could accidentally respond back with something that we'd both regret."  And then his hand dropped and he shrugged.

"I don't see why you should compete against anyone, I don't like being touched, I am hardly a threat.  You are far bigger competition for yourself."