Aoiroo

January 5th 2:34 PM

The front of Claremont was a very large gate. Past that gate was a large manicured lawn, and past that, was a big, square building, which was where the car had dropped Georgia off. Really the whole area looked less like a high school and more like the colleges in the pictures on the pamplets in the guidance counselor's office.  She'd spent a lot of time in there the last few months. The public school she went too previously wasn't too reluctant to let her go, but they did talk to her a lot about the transfer paperwork involved.In fact, she was under the impression they wanted her to go, that it was a great opportunity and that she would get the best they could offer and they'd only heard good things about this school. Not that it mattered to them that she'd be leaving behind all her friends to go to this great opportunity, or that she suspected, couldn't confirm, but heavily suspected they might of been getting some reimbusement for some of the accidental breaking of things around the school. She could only guess really, it wasn't like the school hated her, more like they didn't notice her, which was pretty evident that she was rarely reported absent from her more streniously boring classes. Walking up to the gate, she realized something that hadn't occurred to her, that probably wouldn't be the case here.

Whatever the consequences were, it likely wouldn't be as easy to fade enough into the background to get enough comfortable apathy that her old city school had. They'd straight out told her she'd be getting special classes to deal with her new thing. Looking at her hand she stared at it for a few seconds before absently moving it through her luggage and grabbing a brush she'd tucked into the inner pocket. Yep, still weird as hell. Especially since she could put it back just as easily. After that she picked up the trunk and put it on her shoulder like it was a duffle bag. Maybe she'd be more self concious about it if she wasn't, well she didn't know. She was essentually standing in front of the real world equivalent of Hogwarts, though she severly doubted she'd have to sit under a sorting hat. 

Looking at the square building she shrugged and walked forward. It was Sunday, but they were supposedly expecting her so she could start school for the new semester the next day. She didn't exactly know what to expect, Georgia (the state, not herself, she knew she'd get ribbed for that, but it was really not that big a thing), wasn't really a superhero central, not as much as this area at least. Well, maybe they'd try to be somewhat normal, but honestly, she'd left normal behind a while ago.

Edited by Aoiroo
  • 3 weeks later...

Georgia made her way through the main gates of the campus, which went under a castle like tower that was part of a long three story building that occupied the lower corner of the campus.  Beyond the gates she found a large open courtyard.  A large circular law was in the center, with a number of wooden benches arranged along the outside of the circle.  In the center of the courtyard stood a tall statute with a plaque indicating it was of one Dr. Charles Claremont. 

She was not in the main quad for long before she saw another teenage girl approaching her from another archway in the building around the courtyard that seemed to lead further into the campus.  The new arrival was an Asian teen who appeared a couple of years older than Georgia dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a light grey sweatshirt with Claremont across the front. 

If she seemed surprised by how easily Georgia was carrying her trunk, she did not show it on her face as she approached.  "Good afternoon, I am Giang Trang, welcome to Claremont Academy.  You are Georgia Montgomery correct?"  She asked, brining her hands together to give Georgia a small bow.  "I am one of the Senior's here and have been asked to show you to your dorm room and provide a tour of campus.  We are expecting another new arrival as well, so we will wait for her."

Cho felt a little awkward as she passed the gate of Claremont. Her whole feelings on the matter were easily readable on her face; a mixture of anxiety and, yes, excitement. Still, it seems the girl was trying to make herself appear small, hoping no one would notice her as she carried around her luggages without any trouble. Considering her larger than average and growing frame and messily cut short black hair, trying to avoid attention may be bound to fail for her. Especially with either oversized or undersized and likely second-hand clothes, to boot.

Finally, clearing her voice a bit she spoke to whoever would be around; “Um, does anyone know where I should go? I got into Claremont a bit at the last minute.â€

Edited by RobRX

"Right, that's me."
She gave the girl a good look, playing a quick mental game of guess the region, but stopped for the simple fact that she was terrible at it. Readjusting the trunk on her shoulder, she started to speak,

"So do you thin..."
She was interrupted by an announcement in the distance of another girl who was just a little past the gate but probably far away back that she couldn't really see them.

"Well that didn't take long."
She made a gesture for the older girl to go first then moved to follow so they could greet the other member of this welcome party or whatever the heck they called this sort of thing.

"And it would appear that she has arrived."  Giang said in a matter-of-fact tone as she saw Cho enter the quad.

The Asian teen turned towards the newcomer, giving her a small bow as well.  "Good afternoon, you are Cho Lee are you not?  I am Giang Trang, one of the Seniors here and I have been asked to be your guide today."  She said in greeting.

"As for getting into Claremont at the last minute, that is not altogether unusual.  Our semester does not start until tomorrow and we have another new arrival as well."  Giang indicated Georgia.  "It was just over a year ago that I started here myself, although I missed the first couple of days at the start of that semester as I joined three other students on a trip to the Lost World arranged by the school"

“Hey! Hello!†Cho grab the other girl’s hand and shake it, perhaps a little bit too much. Hopefully she doesn’t snap Giang. “Oh right, yes, I’m Cho Paige. Or, Cho Lee. You know, you can use whatever name you want, I don’t mind! Anyway, would you mind showing me around? This is a pretty nice place, by the way.†She seem to be equally nervous and energetic. She finally let go of the other girl’s hand.

“So, I got something a bit weird to ask here; is there anyone here, maybe a doctor that can help with, well, controlling...you know.†says the girl nervously. “Help for people with ‘issues’ nobody else can help with.â€

Edited by RobRX

Giang seemed to weather Cho's overly enthusiastic handshake well enough, though she did flex her hand a couple of times when it was finally released.  "A tour of the facilities is indeed part of the agenda.  But first let us make our way to the dorm rooms so you both may drop of your things.  Although neither of you appear to have much trouble carrying them."  The Asian teen replied.  "This way please."

She started to lead them towards one of the gates leading out of the quad as Cho asked her question.  "The school does have resources to assist individuals in learning to control their abilities.  It is not at all uncommon for students to need such help when their abilities first manifest." 

“Oh, sure! And thanks. So, anyway…†she start talking, engaging in small talk. “What was that about a trip to the ‘Lost World’? Oh and who do I need to see with ‘help’?†Cho pauses for a bit, not sure of what to add next. This is a bit tense for her, she doesn’t quite feel at her place yet.

“So, outside of the usual classes is there anything else we do here? Do we need to go punch criminals to pass our final exam? And do I need to wear a costume? Sorry, I don’t know why exactly I’m nervous! Or maybe I’m excited, probably both!†While walking around the place, she look around, observing. Her stomach began to growl, suddenly. “Where’s the cafeteria, by the way?â€

Edited by RobRX

Georgia might of thought of the new girl, Cho was her name, as having energy akin to a small dog. But the fact that the girl dwarfed her by a good half a foot made her think labador instead. While Georgia might of been nervous, it did not nearly approach the near manic levels of this girls giddiness that was seeping out as she played twenty questions with the tour guide. She had friends that got like that sometimes when they weren't entirely comfortable, usually it was best to let it play out, but there was some points the other girl brought up that she thought might be worth asking,

"Speaking of things with powers, how sturdy is the lab stuff here."
She glanced over at her bag,

"Cause I've had some trouble with, well dropping fragile things and well, holes in concrete things, and maybe a thing involving a lunch tray halfway through a wall."

It was actually still there when she left her last school, she wasn't sure if they'd actually managed to remove it.

"Oh and how's the dorm set up? Do we have to share a bathroom or anything?"

“Oh, sure! And thanks. So, anyway…†she start talking, engaging in small talk. “What was that about a trip to the ‘Lost World’? Oh and who do I need to see with ‘help’?†Cho pauses for a bit, not sure of what to add next. This is a bit tense for her, she doesn’t quite feel at her place yet.

“So, outside of the usual classes is there anything else we do here? Do we need to go punch criminals to pass our final exam? And do I need to wear a costume? Sorry, I don’t know why exactly I’m nervous! Or maybe I’m excited, probably both!†While walking around the place, she look around, observing. Her stomach began to growl, suddenly. “Where’s the cafeteria, by the way?â€

Giang smiled slightly at the sudden rush of questions from the younger teen.  "The cafeteria is over there."  She said, gesturing back towards the north corner of the main quad.  "However, the cafeteria is closed on weekends and in the evening during weekdays.  The cafeteria in the staff quarters is open however for boarding students on the weekends and for dinner.  We can stop by there after dropping your things off at the dorms.  Or, if you like, you are allowed to order take out to be delivered to the front gate on weekends as well."

"As for classes, beyond what one would normally expect in a high school curriculum, there are classes on the history of superhumans, ones to help people with coping with their powers, self defense and tactics courses, and a wide range of other elective courses that students can choose from.  There is no requirement that students engage in crime fighting, though there is certainly plenty of courses, facilities and other resources to assist those that are interested in doing so.  The school provides a basic training uniform for all students, a number of students use that as a costume until they come up with one of their own.  That is what I did until a few months ago."

"The faculty will work with you in getting the help you need, very likely as early as tomorrow."  The Asian teen continued.  "And the Lost World is an alternate world that is accessible from a number of portals on our world.  That world still very much resembles Earth in its earlier stages of development, with vast jungles filled with dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures.  A number of human tribes live in the world, lead by Lord Zandar and there are two cities that are the remnants of ancient civilizations from our world.  One founded by a lost Roman legion and Roman colonists, the other by Incans."

Georgia might of thought of the new girl, Cho was her name, as having energy akin to a small dog. But the fact that the girl dwarfed her by a good half a foot made her think labador instead. While Georgia might of been nervous, it did not nearly approach the near manic levels of this girls giddiness that was seeping out as she played twenty questions with the tour guide. She had friends that got like that sometimes when they weren't entirely comfortable, usually it was best to let it play out, but there was some points the other girl brought up that she thought might be worth asking,

"Speaking of things with powers, how sturdy is the lab stuff here."

She glanced over at her bag,

"Cause I've had some trouble with, well dropping fragile things and well, holes in concrete things, and maybe a thing involving a lunch tray halfway through a wall."

It was actually still there when she left her last school, she wasn't sure if they'd actually managed to remove it.

"Oh and how's the dorm set up? Do we have to share a bathroom or anything?"

Giang led the pair through an archway and out of the quad.  As they went, she indicated the part of the main building they were passing through, mentioning that it was the school's library.  Just beyond the library was the large open space of the gardens, the trio taking a path to the right, further towards the center of campus.  Giang indicated two buildings that were to their right, noting the smaller as the school chapel and the larger as the auditorium.

"There are two dorm buildings, one for male students, the other for the female."  She began in answer to some of Georgia's questions.  "" personally find the dorms more than adequate, but I may not be the best reference on the issue.  The rooms are set up with two students to a room, two rooms sharing a bathroom between them."

"And most of the facilities here are rather sturdy, for there are more than a few students with abilities that can be quite damaging."

"My shift has come to a close.  The water is most relaxing today Giang."  Thaelia called out to her roommate as she arrived on the scene from the opposite end.  The now seventeen year old muscular Atlantean was wearing a blue one piece bathing suit inspired by her cousin Thetis' fashion choices.  A towel draped over her neck hinting of to the fact that she had come from the heated pool.  Ironically the girl from the underwater civilization was not one of the certified student lifeguards.  She was more than capable of course, but found little patience to sit through the first aid portion of the course.  Thaelia did, however, often opt to join in on the life guard shifts with students who could use the extra hand.

Looking between the two girls standing near her roommate she recalled what business Giang had in the quad today.  Her eyes lingered over the girls sizing them up for their worth as potential sparring partners later on.  She clenched her fist excitedly for a moment before smiling.  "Oh right.  You are giving the tour.  Are they the sturdy sort?"  Technically the girl dubbed the Glamazon had skipped her own formal tour almost exactly a year ago this day.  Having ran into Tona, Cerys, and Subito whom gave  an informal version of the very same task that Tsunami was now performing.

“Well I’m uh...bulletproof.†says Cho, not quite realizing the Atlantean may be looking for a sparring partner. Or maybe just a punching bag. “I think. Look, I haven’t really put all that to the test and I don’t think my mother would appreciate testing it by making me eat rockets to the face or something. Wait, we’re not trying that, right?â€

She then clap both hands. “Well, anyway! You know, actually, that doesn’t sound even nearly as bad as I expected! Look it’s complicated, it’s just I may or may not have promised my mother I wouldn’t get myself in trouble.†This is followed by a short chuckle. “Yeah, I know, I doubt I’ll be able to keep that promise. I mean, wow, seriously? Dinosaurs? That just sounds way too cool to pass!â€

"So! You! And you! What's your 'thing'?"

Edited by RobRX

Georgia shrugged her shoulder,

"I guess that makes sense."
Looking at the pointed out dorm building,

"Will I be rooming with her since we showed up together,"
She poked a thumb at Cho a moment before the girl wearing the bathing suit, and absolutely nothing else say for a towel walked out into the January air like it was nothing. Which admittably wasn't likely to be the strangest thing she was going to see her, but was still strange. The girl looked to have been swimming, which made sense she she was pretty cut. Georgia in comparison looked pretty out of shape, well she was out of shape, and a bit on the heavy side (hahaha) but still, she glanced down a little more self concious when she was prompted by Cho,

"I'm Georgia by the way, and so far my sturdiness varies."
She shrugged her shoulders,

"They haven't done formal tests, but mostly I can just control my weight, and sort of level of being able to like touch things. Well most of the time, if I don't like lose focus and aren't holding anything too fragile."

Giang gave a small smile as Thaelia appeared, calling out to her about the water in the pool.  The Asian teen could not help but shake her head slightly at the Atlantean teen's question about the sturdiness of the two new arrivals. 

"You will not be asked to take part in sort of dangerous testing of your abilities unless that is something you wish to pursue."  She replied to Cho's questions about how she might be required to test her durability.  "Also, it is generally viewed as bad manners here to question fellow students about their abilities if they have not brought up the subject themselves.  Obviously the members of the school staff will discuss your abilities with you, but with the goal of helping provide what resources you may need to learn to control them and as part of developing any additional curriculum for you."  She offered kindly.

"Cho, Georgia, may I introduce my roommate, Thaelia, a member of the royal family of Atlantis."  The Asian teen then made by way of introduction. 

“Hey! Princess, really? Or something like that. That’s cool and...well…†She shy and clam up a bit, which may or may not be funny for someone of her size. You’d probably expect a bit more confidence, not an overgrown weeping willow. “Yeah I’m just some weird freak from Southside, nothing really impressive. I bet it was fine for you, all pampered up, why did you even bother coming here?â€

“Anyway, nice to meet you! Too bad I’m nothing as impressive when it come to presenting myself.†The girl then extend her hand toward Thaelia, albeit still shy a bit. Social situations don’t seem to be her strong point, especially if she doesn’t quite feel in her element.

Edited by RobRX

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance Georgia  As Tsunami says you can request for your limitations to be tested.  Personally, I find there are more fun ways to test such matters."  Thaelia would have been excited at Cho's bulletproof statement if it wasn't for the comment that followed after Giang's introduction.  Whether the girl intended to be catty or not the Atlantean had a temper befitting both sides of her family tree through and through.  So when she was asked why she would even bother attending the school, Thaelia admittedly took it the wrong way.  Pampered. Pampered!  For the briefest of moments she actually clenched her fists content to show the girl that shrugging off a bullet would hardly be considered impressive.

But she restrained herself long enough to step forward.  Instead stretching out her own hand to accept Cho's and engage in a firm handshake.  Her other hand still fiercely clenched.   "Yes, I imagine impressive would not be the word that comes to mind.  If you would like to be led to the exit as part of the tour that can be arranged.  As for this pampered girl's reason for attending, the academy usually has an eye for talent."  As pleasant as Thaelia could be once she saw red it was easy to be reminded that the Atlanteans were a warrior people her manners quickly fading.  Her body language practically attesting to the fact that she was a hair's breath away from lunging for the girl.

Once she realize that Thaelia is pissed off and is apparently aiming her comments at her (and yet fail to realize she probably started it, Cho return an ever firmer hand grip. “What, you don’t think I’m good enough for this place, is that it? You don’t like to mingle with human plebeians, huh? I’m not scared of you!†replies the girl, leaning in on the atlantean just...barely. So much for her previously feeling shy and out of place.

Tension start to fill the air between these two, hopefully someone will defuse the situation and expose it as Cho merely being innocently insensitive. Or perhaps unexposed to the larger world of superheroes beyond the medias.

Edited by RobRX

Giang frowned slightly as tempers began to flare between her roommate and Cho.  The Asian teen did not believe that Cho had meant anything with her comments, which seemed in part to be downplaying herself, but Thaelia was not one to overlook them so easily.  As the confrontation seemed to be escalating, Giang decided separating the two might be the quickest way to bring tempers back under control.

Reaching out to the pond and fountain in the nearby Zen Garden, the teenager drew away much of the water, which coiled through the air as it flew to where the four teenage girls were standing.  The water suddenly flowed in between Thaelia and Cho, the sudden appearance causing their hands to separate as the water quickly took the shape of a wall between the teenage girls, becoming slightly more opaque as it seemed to solidify.  Thaelia knew well enough that was exactly what had happened, and that the solid water objects Giang could form were harder than steel.

"Let's both take a step back and take a few deep breaths shall we?"  The Asian teen stated, her voice still calm and steady.  "Cho, I am assuming you did not mean anything with your comments.  While being a member of the Atlantean royal family certain has its benefits, I can tell you from having spent some time in Atlantis with Thaelia over the summer that it comes with its duties as well, which includes training in warfare to protect against the many dangers of the ocean depths.  Thaelia's family also has a close connection with this school and superhero work.  Her uncle, the king, was a member of the Freedom League, and her cousin, Nereid, is an alumni from this school."

Giang then turned to her roommate as she continued.  "And you Thaelia, know full well that this school's primary purpose is to help students learn to control and cope with their abilities.  Not everyone here will choose to use their powers to fight crime, and that in no way reduces their worth or their right to be here."

Georgia took a step back as the slip of the tongue from Cho wasn't taken too well from Thelia, and then there was a pretty quick escalulation from there which more or less ended with the wall of seperating Cho and Thelia. Georgia was still besides Giang and wasn't exactly sure what to add. She wasn't sure what surprised her more, the fact that there was foreign sunken country royalty, that said foreign sunken country actually existed, that there was now a wall of floating water or how quickly a student tour had turned to threats of a brawl. Regardless it seemed that things needed to slow down for a bit,

"Um, if ya'll want to simmer down for a bit. Maybe we can drop our stuff off at the dorms before we break any innocent luggage in whatever thing you guys want to be getting mixed up in."
She glanced over at Giang,

"For clarification, what are the rules and who do you report to for this sort of thing? At my old school you couldn't tap a person on the shoulder without being sent to the principles office or escorted off school grounds."

Behind the water wall, Cho is has her fists tightly clenched...and wrapped in glowing red energy, crackling with me, while the veins in her hands and forearms are pulsing with a similar reddish-orange inner glow. She wince briefly and then finally manage to relax, calming down and letting out a sigh as the energy build up slowly fade and evaporate. She wiggle her fingers like someone whose blood circulation was cut off. One has to assume the sensation she just experienced wasn’t all that pleasant.

“Look, I’m sorry I didn’t mean it like that.†finally says the girl. “I didn’t mean to start a fight, okay? Just used a pretty poor choice of words, all right?†Once more she extend her hand. “I meant no insult, I meant no harm but if you want to settle this one with me, fine, I’ll understand.â€

Edited by RobRX

Thaelia began rubbing her hands on her towel with a pout in full display.  She was still sour on the whole matter but did take the moment to recompose herself after being lectured.  Pushing past being flustered by the motherly lecture in the first place the Atlantean finally spoke, "...I apologize for my actions as well."  The words practically burned her tongue as they made their way from her lips.  Thaelia wasn't attempting to shoot down the Cho's right to attend the academy, but being looked down on wasn't something she would take lightly.  "Rest assured I will not pursue further recourse I was also in the wrong for reacting poorly."  Although Thaelia stated as such the Atlantean did take far longer than she normally would have to consider shaking Cho's hand a second hand before finally submitting to the offer.

Not a single blow had actually been thrown in the confrontation, but it was clear that if it wasn't for Giang's intervention that could have easily had a different resolution than the handshake.  "Mister Marquez would be one choice, but if you wish to get faculty involvement you can just about ask any of them.  Not that every teacher would have the response you are hoping for. Coach Jones would possibly just let two students settle it in an appropriate environment if they were willing."

That appropriate environment most likely being the Doom Room. Claremont's answer to the Freedom League's Wreck Room with far less public viewing.

As the tension alleviated some between Cho and Thaelia, Giang allowed the wall she had put up to revert back to its normal water state.  The sheet of water then split apart, the two halves taking the long thin shape of Chinese dragons at it twisted through the air around the Asian teen, hovering just behind her just in case she still had need of it. 

Once it was clear that both of the other teens had allowed their tempers to cool, the water dragons glided back through the air, returning to where Giang had drawn the water from.  "So, shall we continue on to the dorms so you may drop off your things before we continue with the tour?"

“Hey, come on…†she says to Thaelia. “No hard feelings, I’m just the new girl here. I’m not really ‘trained in etiquette’ but if you want, I’ll ask what I need to say to show you proper respect. Look, it’s just a poor choice of words.â€

“Alright, fine, let’s continue.†Cho start following Giang, picking up her things once more, but stays on her guard as she sometimes glance back at Thaelia. There’s still tension brewing. The girl take a moment to pause after touching her belongings but relax when they don’t break apart. “Would you have really punched me?†she finally ask the atlantean while giving her a side glance. Just to be sure.

Edited by RobRX

"So, uh, if there's going to be punching, should I let the nurse know? Or is there not going to be punching? I'm still a little fuzzy on the details there."

A young man was leaning against one of the pillars gracing the perimeter of the Zen Garden, one eyebrow raised in curiosity. At the moment, he was wearing dark blue sweatpants and hoodie, with a white t-shirt peaking through under the hoodie. He seemed very lightly winded, as if he'd been jogging for a couple minutes and happened upon the confrontation.

Considering it was young William Cline, speedster extraordinaire and budding master of kinetic energy (at least, to hear him talk that's what he is), he'd probably made about 30 laps around campus at top speed. He was watching the scene with interest, but his shoulders had just enough tension that Giang, at least, could probably pick out that he wasn't there to watch a "catfight".

Or, if he was, he wasn't voicing that, because his mother didn't raise an idiot even if he is the self-assured sort who fires off his mouth without thinking through things much.

"If there is punching, maybe that could happen, then the nurse, then we have a "Welcome to Claremont" party, because parties mean cake and stuff, and I love cake and stuff."

Thaelia threw her head back and sighed.  "Gods, the last thing I would want is someone attempting to show proper etiquette.  I revel in the absence of such requirements during my stay in the surface."  The Atlantean glanced sidelong over Cho before giving a quick smile.  Instead of properly answering the yes or no question she simply stopped  and began humming.  "That is a curious question is it not?"

"Is he another one of your tour inductees?"  Thaelia asked Giang while pointing at William.  Having not seen the speedster on campus when he first arrived.  Thaelia hadn't crossed paths with William what.  Like many Atlanteans she was of course pagan, her faith being more on the Hellenistic side than anything else.  Aside from the celebration with the Freedom League most of December was spent honoring the month in celebration of her father running back and forth for her studies and a proper retreat.  Of course, the calendar system she prescribed to meant the month was yet over seeing as the last day in the month of Poseidon ended exactly in a week's time.   So she could do with a bit more celebration.   

Suffice to say William's question of cake and punches was definitely a complete diversion from whatever grudge she still held.  "The punches can come another time.  If they want, we could partake of the cake and stuff Giang.  I too enjoy the stuff.  Not so much the cake, I am not particular to too many sweets."

Edited by HG Morrison