The Creeping Killer(s)

Mashin-kun, falsely believing himself to be invulnerable to the huge bear charging towards him, was both surprised and pained to learn that he was in fact, not. The swat actually hurt him, albeit only a little. Still and all, the pain made him shrink back, hissing in pain and shock.

"" The metal boy blurted out. Unfortunately, his pain made him slip back into Japanese, so unless the bear was originally from Japan somehow, the unintelligible gibberish most people spoke would only be more unintelligible to it.

In the back of his mind, Daisuke knew that wasn't going to do it, so he made a break for the exit, trying to outdistance the bear. Not an especially good move, but he was a city kid. How was he supposed to know bears could run a lot faster than him?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wesley could not tell what the blobs were thinking, but the one that was coming towards him did not look happy. Ouch, that's smarts, he thinks as the blob vices on to his legs. He tries to shake the thing off as the bottom part of his pants disintergrate under what looks like the acid the angel was talking about. Getting free of the blob, he sees that the angel is being assaulted by two of the blobs and rushes to help her.

Mashin-Kun continues running, ignoring the bear and just reaching the Giant Anteater area.

Mashin-Kun realizes that this is going to take a while...

Knight manages to shake the blob off, but it comes right back for him. But now that Wesley knows a bit more about what he faces, he's able to use some ancy footwork and cause the blob to miss.

Mongrel Angel is eerily quiet under the blobs. Maybe she's enjoying it....

Wesley sees the green globs are getting more viscious. They seem intent on feeding on live things. Fear grips him. Not a panicky type of fear, but a fear that makes him think back to when he his life was in danger for the first time. People can be reasoned with. Unfortunately, blobs of acid cannot. Reaching out to all of them, he tries to find a major organ or muscle that he can stop.

Daisuke was rapidly finding out that not all animals were friendly, and he had the bruises, scrapes and fecal stains to prove it. (He didn't even know the ape paddocks were near here) But he was still nowhere close to the place where his new friends were fighting the blobs. By the time he actually got there, the battle would be over, one way or another, and he would have missed the whole thing!

He couldn't have that, be he simply didn't see how he could get there any faster. His legs pumped as hard as they could, and his shoes made smacking sounds as they contacted the pavement... which provided him with something of a clue that something might be wrong when they stopped making a sound. Daisuke looked down, and saw that he was still "running", but his feet weren't touching the ground. In fact, it didn't even seem like his furious motions were making him move at all. Which meant...

"I can fly!" he shouted, elated that he had finally unlocked another one of his idol's powers. With a little push against... whatever, he started rocketing towards the blobs. Unfortunately, it appeared that although he had a fair amount of speed, he had very little in the way of control thus far, which meant that instead of a smooth landing, he was coming in way too quickly. "Look out! Coming through!" he yelled out to whomever might be listening.

Mashin-Kun arrives just in time to see a large pulse of sickly dark green energy radiate off of Knight. Three of the five blobs -- the one near Knight and the two on Mongrel Angel -- wither up as their 'skins' break and all their internal fluids and organelles leak out. The other two -- the paralyzed one and one chasing down a baby zebra -- do also burst, but not as thoroughly, and are still moving about.

Daisuke picked himself up out of the crater he'd dug for himself in the pavement, shaking his head to clear it. His clothes were now mostly ruined, from both the bear and the sudden termination of his flight, showing off that he was not exactly human to any casual observer. He would need to work on those landings.

With a short look around, he was happy to see the situation had changed from before. Most of the blob things had blown up, and he took off after the one going for the Zebra.

• 3 weeks later...

Wesley smiles as he watches the angel ascend back into the heavens, "I'll take that as a 'yes' then," he shouts up to her. He quickly walks over to the paralyzed blob, seeing that the robot, who could apparently fly, is chasing the last one. With his second 'sight', he tries to analyze the blob to see what information he could glean from it.

Mashin-Kun's fist slams into the blob which had been chasing the baby zebra. The robo-boy can see some faint organ-like bits in the blob shifting as if looking up at him, then the whole thing goes limp. Parts of it start to congeal around his arm, other parts start running down his arm and onto the ground.

The baby zebra continues running.

The blob Knight approaches seems to still be paralyzed. As knight looks over it, he senses something oddly familiar about the thing. He's reminded of one of the first times he used his bio-sensing abilities, when looking at a friend who was suffering from food poisoning. He remembered that the doctors said his friend's sickness had come from eating improperly-washed vegetables, which still had traces of fertilizer -- manure-based fertilizer -- on them. While Knight never directly sensed the bacteria in him, he could sense their presence in his friend and what they were doing to her, and those sensations were eerily similar to the vibe he got off this dog-sized blob.

"Um... ew," Mashin-kun muttered as he tried to shake the rapidly congealing gunk off of his arm. It was like being covered in that nasty school nacho cheese that grew skin after a couple seconds of sitting still, only it smelled a little better. "This is just going to get into everything, I know it."

He looked over at the last blob, which appeared to be somehow stuck. Since he didn't know if it was still a threat, he jogged over to Knight. "Hey, what's going on over here? Is it already... dead?"

Wesley covers his nose and mouth with his hand when he gets the subtle drift that this creature is made of living manure. When the robot catches up to him, he puts his hand down, "Well, not really. Let's just say, I shut off it's ability to move. It's still alive though," Wondering if the kid would inderstand what he was saying, he tries to put what he just learned in layman's terms, "I did find out something though. It's made up of some kind of mutated poo bacteria."

Daisuke's eyes went as wide as they could go. "Mutated... poo?" he squeeked, now holding the arm he'd used to smite the other blob out straight away from his body. "What... how... ewwwwww!"

He really, really didn't need to hear that. "So... um, are you going to take care of that one? Or... leave it for the police?" His silvery eyes glistened as he gave the man the devestating Puppy Dog Eyes and said, "Please don't make me hit it," his voice shaking just right.

Wesley snickers at the robots cute antics, "Nah, you don't have to touch it. No one does." Looking down at the blob with fiendish intent, both of his eyes turn a sickly dark purple. He focuses on it for a second, trying to find that one spot he did before. Maybe it'll stay down this time, he thinks.

Wesley sighs frustratedly at the fact that he doesn't know, "Well, this did start out in the park, but how did they get over here? What if they split up? How far could they have went?" He pauses with a flash of insight, "You can fly right? Maybe you can take a survey of the area and see if there's any more disturbed areas in the zoo. If not we can go back to the park and continue searching there. If so, we can hopefully help the poor animals before anymore damage happens."

Mashin-Kun has some vague recollections of stories about thugs and punks using underground tunnels to move about the city... but this isn't a city-ish part of Freedom.

Knight, however, vividly recalls a recent television programme on mob activity in Freedom during the Roaring 20s, and how they used a veritable maze of sewage and utility tunnels under the city to shuttle goods around. Many of the tunnels stopped at the Wading and South Rivers (the utility tunnels just opened up to them, the sewage tunnels spilled their gunk into them), but a few of the tunnels extended under the rivers, so it was possible to travel from, say, Hanover to Southside solely by using these underground tunnels. Most have been identified by city officials and locked so that non-workers can't access them, but only the naive or foolish believe that all the tunnels have been accounted for.

Since these blobs are giant mutant poop/sewage bacteria, that's probably where they came from.

Knight also remembers that, in most monster movies, there's usually a Big Momma Monster that has to be stopped, or else the whole thing will start up again in the future.

"Well, I *can* fly, but... I'm still new at it," Daisuke said, scratching the back of his head sheepishly... with his un-gooped arm. "But I guess I could try it. I just don't know how much I'll be able to see from up there."

He stepped back a bit and set himself, then looked up at the sky. "Alright, I'll be back in just a minute." With that, jets of flame vomited forth from his feet, propelling him into the air atop a plume of fire. Once there, he jerked to the side, seeking to work himself into some semblance of a patrol pattern. It was tough, and shaky, but it was at least better than the unguided, fly-like-a-stone thing he was doing before.

Wesley waits for the robot to come back to earth, so he can relay the information. While doing so, he remembers watching the crime program at a customer's place the night before last. Nice people, he thinks to himself, they paid and even took me to dinner. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow to see what's been up. Looking up, he tries to locate where the robot went. If this were a monster movie, wouldn't I be the first to, he pauses in thought to quickly look around then back to looking for Mashin-kun, nah.

Daisuke was beginning the think this was a big waste of time. He hadn't seen hide nor... well, he supposed blobs wouldn't have hair, but that didn't take away from the fact that he simply hadn't seen any sign of the things. About the pack it in, Mashin-kun turned back to where he'd left Wesley, then he saw... something. A trail, maybe? And it seemed to be going into the sewer!

Elated, Daisuke tore off towards Wesley's position, only remembering barely a hundred feet before touchdown he didn't really have a solid grasp of how to land softly. In desperation, he brought his feet up under him, trying to use his thrusters to bleed off some of his forward momentum. Unfortunately, all that really managed to do was make the furrow he carved blackened from backwash as he slammed into the ground.

"Uh... hi," he said sheepishly from the ground, looking up at Wesley from the gouge he'd cut in the sidewalk. To ward off futher embarrassment, he scrambled to his feet and dusted himself off. "Okay, I found where they've gone. It's this sewer pipe, over here. Come on, I'll show you!" Seemingly forgetting that he'd just crash landed, Daisuke nearly skipped as he led Wesley on towards the lair of the blobs.

It's like the kid has read his mind. Then again, a few moments ago, he didn't know the robot could fly. Maybe he could read his mind. Following the child robot he relates his thoughts to him, "So, yeah, there's some tunnels around the sewers that gangstas used to use back in the old days. I think that's how the blobs got here so fast. Also, um, you watched any monster movies?"

"Sure!" Daisuke said happily. "The Gojira series is huge! Japan created the monster movie! Godzilla, Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs. Godzilla - that one was good, because it was different for different nations. For example, in America, King Kong won, which was silly, because everyone knows Gojira would win - then there was Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster... after that it got kinda weird because it was Invasion of Astro-Monster next, and they kinda lost the theme, you know? Then there was a bunch of forgettable ones, but the series really picked up with Mechagodzilla!"

He continued to list off Godzilla movies, showing off a bizarrely encyclopidic knowledge on the topic.