The Creeping Killer(s)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaking his hand, Nightshyft marveled at was just happened...flexing his fingers, he looks over at the Winged Woman,"Thanks...that could have been disasterous."

Turning smoothly, Travis walks over to what is left of the attacker...bending down, Nightshyft reaches for a stray twig and begins to examine the jellyfish-like creature, "Kato...is this what attcked the victim?"

Catherine looked down at the slimy thing, carefully comparing it to what she had seen in the vision.

"I don't think so...this looks like some kind of acidic creature...it just latches on and digests you. The things I saw were tearing that poor woman apart."

The healing had been put a little more strain on her than the mixed-blood lass had anticipated, which is why she needed to take a deep breath before answering the white-haired vigilante. "You're welcome."

Realising she'd actually become a bit stiff from projecting so much of her soulfire in such an to her as yet unfamiliar way. Most of this sits in her upperbody it seems as she tests herself slightly. Grunting slightly she starts to stretch a little while the other two confer regarding the attackers they're after.

Still crouching over the clearly deceased creature, Nightshyft cannot help but be thankful for the winged girl's healing fire...the twig he was using to examine the attacker is slowly dissolving. THAT could have been his hand...or the other lad's face.

Even as it seems that his attention is focused upon the creature, Travis is also examining the other three...the Sorceroress, or so she seems, it apparently lost within her own thoughts...clearly having not heard his querry. The Lad, Bum...whatever he is, is still in a semi-state of shock. He has yet to utter a cohereant sentence since the attack.

The winged angel, She seems to slightly exhausted from her healing fire. She stretches her body, trying to unknot her tired muscles. She seems a little timid in her posturing...afraid of what her actions and opinions might raise? Who knows...

Shifting his head slightly, Travis addresses the Angel, "You know, I find a few minutes of Zen Meditation to be much more beneficial to loosening up than actual stretching my tired muscles." Raising from his crouch, Travis discards the twig before the corrosive fluids could reach his fingers again. Realizing that his previous question might not get answered for some time, Travis approaches the angel, "Name's Nightshyft...you flew in? You didn't happen to see any more of these creatures from up above?"

By now, the sun has fully set, though the nearby 'street' light offers decent illumination. Owls hoot here and there, and the cool spring wind blows through and rustles the branches, but other than that, all is silent.

The weird blob-thing continues lying on the ground, split, leaking, its weird fluids seeping into the earth. It faintly stinks, of partially-digested meat (i.e., Imposter's face) and of excrement.

Catherine holds her nose distastefully and takes a few steps away from the corpse. "While it's certainly...bothersome that this thing was stalking around this park at night, I really think we should focus on one thing at a time. Like I said earlier, this is clearly not the creature we're looking for. How about we pair up and search around the park?"

" I am not sure that splitting up is a good idea...this single creature allmost ate one us with almost no effort. Imagine if we encounter more than one? Or worse yet...the pack of things that devoured this poor woman." Gazing deep within the shadows that surround them, Nightshyft turns back to the others, "Kato, you didn't happen to see which direction these creatures happen to have come from? Any indication at all? They couldn't have just appeared from just nowhere?"

"The vision was a little unclear, but I think they came from there." says Catherine, pointing in the direction opposite of where the digesting monster came from. "I'm fine with sticking together, really...but we should probably hurry, before those things eat someone else."

"Good...Kato, Angel...let me take point. Give me a little space." Upon saying that, Nightshyft summons the Midnight Mist. He gathers the living darkness around him, flowing it in front of him like a faithful hound. Then the Nocturnal Nemesis does what he does best...he stalks forward, on the hunt once again.

Mongrel Angel nods in comfirmation as Nightshyft sets off at point. While the overweight mage takes the middle position, a bit behind their seemingly most experienced member, the winged girl picks up the incoherent lad and, barring any complaints, rest him somewhat over her shoulder as she goes to make up the rear of their imprompto little party.

The three heroes stride off in the direction Catherine believed the murderous monsters had come from, a northwesterly direction. One hero is carried off.

You all soon realize that the critters came from off-trail, and thus away from the scattered 'street' lights. Though there are no patches of complete darkness within the promenade's foliage, there are plenty of spots where it is mostly dark (and so are partially concealed, as described on pg.161 of the M&M core book).

From what he can see, everything looks totally fine to Nightshyft.

After cautiously moving for what felt like forever (especially to Catherine, though in truth it was less than 5 minutes), all three heroes can hear the low moaning sound again -- and you're all sure it's not just the wind, it's definitely being made by some creature -- though see nothing that might be the source it.

Knowing she's hardly the best at conducting a careful search, and still burdened by the unresponsive form of the shapeshifter, Mongrel Angel decides to keep watch while Catherine goes over the area methodically. After a few moments of thinking she speaks though.

"If you need some extra light I think I can manage to produce something."

Catherine easily finds the source, just as Mongrel Angel's ears are able to pick up where exactly it's coming from. Carefully moving aside some fallen branches, Catherine finds a body! Judging by what's left of his uniform, a policeman's body! Acid burns cover almost his entire body, and most of his gear seems partially melted as well. He stares up at you with one lidless eye, the other one melted away, and begins convulsing.

• 2 weeks later...

The officer's convulsions increase, his body jerking about as if in an epileptic fit. Unlike true epileptic spasms, though, his mouth opens wide... as another one of those blob-monsters ooze out of him, and lashes out at where Catherine had been! The pseudopod 'turns' to 'look' at the street-mage, and the blob-thing continues pouring/crawling out of the very dead (and hollowed-out) officer.

[[ We can use the same initiatives as the last combat, or reroll, whichever y'all prefer. ]]