Beating Crime Soundly

Supercape

Inwardly Osprey was much relieved 'Big Nelson, that was just about the best thing I could have heard from your lips'

Finding out that one of the bigger bosses in England lived in fear of the enigmatic criminal mastermind made his life that much simpler. Now for the matter of his and Tony's lives.

"You're right" he said, relaxing his upraised arms just a little "I'm looking for him. I won't have Max in London, Nelson" he added with a level tone that was more stern that outright hostile "but smuggling of any kind is out too. Max kills those who take it. You must have read the reports: athletes dead in locker rooms, kids with swollen muscles in alleys. What do you want with that stuff, Nelson? Want your fighters dead, get a bad word going around?"

Leaning just a little forward, the cowled man fixed his eyes on the big man's own. "Give me a hint, Nelson. I'll be out of your hair tonight, and goin' after something you hate a lot more than me. And Tony?" he nodded at the cringing man "Competition's better than a monopoly, surely an experienced man like you knows that."

GM

Big Nelson looked exceedingly uncomfortable at Osprey's stare. He was sweating, and pulled at his collar. 

"The middleman...he is voodoo. You don't understand. Nobody goes up against the middleman" he explained. "The middleman, he sees everything, he hears everything". 

Nelson gripped the table. 

"He's watching us right now. I know for sure. I can feel it..." Nelsons eyes shifted from left to right. 

"Everybody who has ever crossed the middleman, gets found out. Everybody. You understand?" he gulped. "I can't rat on him...I can't..." his eye twitched uncontrollably. 

His phone rang, nearly giving Nelson - and probably half the room, a half attack. It was a miracle a gun didn't go off and all hell break loose. 

Nelson snapped up the phone, full of fear and irritation. 

"Yes. He's here. What? No! Then who is? What? Now?...Yes sir..."

He gulped and put the phone down. 

"That, ladies and gentlemen, was the middleman. And yes, he was watching us, and listening to us. Our every...move..." his eyes scanned the ceiling and the floor, full of paranoia. 

"That Max shipment you left in Deptford, Osprey? Guess who just landed on it..."

"The Osprey...." he said, his voice like lead. 

"Which means...who the hell are you, or who the hell is the guy down at the docks?" he said. 

"In any case, the Middleman wants this resolved. Which means we are all going on a midnight drive...if you care to join us..." he said...

Continued in