In the Shadow of Sin (Jade) (IC)

Thevshi

Jerking awake at the sudden blaze of light, Subito blinked in confusion for a moment before the prison became all too real again. Sitting up and rubbing his eyes he asked grumpily "Oh yeah? What's old Stoneface want?" The defiance was half-hearted though, he knew there wasn't much point antagonizing people. Not yet anyway. Maybe later when they figured out the collars and evened the playing field.

Eating with relish despite the honestly bland fare('Man, they need to get Mali on the phone so she can give 'em some tips...'), Subito leaned against the wall, chatting casually with his schoolmates. Nothing particularly important, besides a question he put to Giang "Hey Giang, you want us to leave the talkin' to you?"

Edited by Arichamus

To say that Serge rested well during the night would be a bold-faced lie; the young man had spent the entire time visualising every little bit he knew about their current situation, from their restrainning collars to their surroundings, fevrently trying to piece together a good plan of escape. To his immense disappointment, he could not form a single idea about what they should do to save their lives. It didn't help matters that the oh so helpful peanut gallery was just in the corner of his mind, giving him 'helpful' tips and poking holes on any solution he might have come up. Well, I suppose I should be thankful, all things considered. If I DID keep any of those plans, we'd have ended in tears... Still it wouldn't hurt you to be a bit more nice about things, you know... Serge thought to himself.

I don't do nice. And you should eat while you can; it's bad enough that you barely caught a wink, if you don't reign in that stomach of yours, you won't be able to dodge a paper, much less a punch or a death beam.

Aw, I never knew you cared.

Well, let me put it this way; if you die, you won't be able to enjoy my witty repartie.

Hmmm... tempting, but I see your point. Serge viewed his bowl with apprehension. He said to his companions. "You know, for a villainous organization that's went out of their way to keep us safe, I'd expect a more grandiose meal out of them. You know, something to say that yes, our lives are in their hands, but they are confident enough in their hold over us to be able to afford feeding us like royalty. I mean, really, where is the class, people?"

The brightening of the lights had helped to pull Giang from a rather restless sleep.  Feelings of guilt in having her friends dragged into her problem had weighed heavily on her.  The only small comfort she found was in the knowledge that Kat had apparently managed to escape the trap that had captured Giang, Subito and Serge, and that Headmaster Summers likely knew about their abduction.  But whether the resourceful headmaster of Claremont, or Raven or any other members of the Freedom League would easily be able to find them was another question. 

At least she could be confident that someone was out there looking for them.

Rising up smoothly, the Asian teen made her way over to where the food had been set down while she listened to the comments by her two friends from their own cells.

"No, I do not see a need to be the only one to speak."  She replied as she began to eat, her appetite having returned in full force.  As Giang ate, the simple meal bought back memories of similar meals while growing up in Vietnam, quick simple meals to provide energy before the start of her long, regimented training and study sessions.  Given what she had learned about her life in that small mountain village since, the memories were not as endearing as they might otherwise have been.

The teen could not help but smile slightly at Serge's comments about the lack of a more lavish meal.  "Perhaps they are reserving that for dinner this evening."  She commented.

GM

After the three teens had been given a chance to eat, several guards gathered in the hallway between the cells as the forcefields over the entrances were lowered and the three allowed to exit.  Once again they were led by a group of guards, who this time simply formed a circle around them, instead of physically dragging them along.

As during the night before, they were taken down the odd shaped hallways to the elevators that took them back up to the elaborately decorated halls of the Asian styled building above.  But this time, instead of being led back towards the chamber in which they had been taken before the Lady Shen before, the three teens were led in the opposite direction, eventually exiting the building altogether.

As they exited through large wooden doors, the teens stepped out onto a stone landing.  For a few brief moments, the bright sunlight was almost blinding, the air outside hot and humid.  As their eyes adjusted, the three heroes were able to see that the building they had just exited was part of a compound of building, spaced along a large courtyard like area.  Each of the other buildings were of a classical Chinese style, and surrounding them was thick jungle.  Across the courtyard, towering off in the distance was a tall mountain that looked as if might have once been an active volcano. 

It was then that they realized the courtyard area was not empty, but filled with what appeared to be several hundred figures dressed in light blue gi like uniforms.  All appeared to be performing some sort of martial arts kata, moving through the same stances and strikes in near perfect unison, their comingled voices echoing over the surrounding buildings and jungle at various points.

Standing on the landing a short distance away was the Lady Shen, dressed in similar style to what she had worn the night before, save this time the dress was of a deep blue color, with silver and gold embroidery.  She turned towards the entrance as the teens were led out, giving them a rather sinister smile.  "Good morning children.  I hope you slept well."

Keeping quiet on the way over, as talking didn't seem like it would do anyone any good, Subito occupied himself with marking the differences between when they'd first arrived and right then. 'They're not trying to keep us off-balance by hauling us everywhere, they're not trying to wow us or make stuff creepy by repeating our meeting with Lady Shen. Guess they figure we're not a problem anymore. Besides, 'course, the guards keeping us corralled. There's a tight schedule I'll bet, and they want us in the mix as soon as possible.'

The muscular teen was so lost in thought he yelped in surprise and pain as the sunlight suddenly blazed into his eyes, twisting his head away as best he could until he could squint. The first thing he saw was the jungle, a bonfire of green, and immediately his heart rose...only for the rest of the old-fashioned buildings to come into focus, and then the crowd smack dab in the courtyard doing their exercises that reminded him of nothing so much as Claremont gym class, though with a lot more people.

The abrupt change, the exotic scene, it almost drowned out the sight of Lady Shen, her smile and her question. Squaring himself, the boy replied flatly "Can't complain. Better'n the flight over, at least. How about you? And I'm guessing these" he nodded to the mob of blue-clad figures "are our new comrades? We Dr. Sin's newest recruits?"

GM

A sly smile came to Lady Shen's face as Subito responded to her, and the elderly woman focused on Giang.  "So, you do know the identity of your father's master."  She said quietly.

She then turned her head slightly to regard all three of the teens once more.  "Recruits?  I rather doubt the three of you would be completely suitable, at least not without a considerable amount of conditioning.  Powerful?  I am sure, but what good is power if it cannot be controlled."  She responded as she turned and started walking down a stone stairway towards the courtyard.  Some of the guards gave the three teens a small nudge, indicating they were to follow down the stairs.

Out in the center of the courtyard, the gathered men and women continued their training regimen in the hot morning sun. 

"I do have a number of current students that are metahumans such as yourselves."  Lady Shen stated as she led them down the stairs.  “Who will become elite agents for the master.† She glanced over her shoulder slightly to look back at Giang as she added, "for a time, your father even sent three of your older half-siblings to train with me.  I wonder if he intended to do the same with you?"

Serge observed Lady Shen carefully, as she greeted the three Clairemont students with open arms and a smile to kill. While he had joked about it before, he was still unsure as to why Lady Shen had not harmed them so far, even though that was well within her sphere of actions that she would take. This was personal, but it was also much more than simply that. Subito's guess was quickly shot down, and he couldn't find fault in the logic behind that; true, it would be faaar too much trouble to go through with all that conditioning, there has been a substantial recorded failure with such methods in the past, and while Lady Shen struck him for a traditionalist, she seemed far too calculative and intelligent to rely on proven failed methods. So what did that all leave them with...

"You want us to fight your students, don't you?" Serge noted. "That's why you even left me keep my powersuit. True, you have those restrainning collars on our necks, but you had no reason not to take precautions against even that, deny us as many chances of escape as possible, no matter how slim the probabilities... You want us to go there and show you whether your precious little soldiers are up to whatever tasks you've planned for them..." Net Fly said, attempting to make as accurate a summation as he could.

GM

Lady Shen glanced back over at Net Fly, giving him another of her sinister grins.  "What an interesting suggestion.  I shall indeed have to arranging some contests of that nature."

She then turned back to continue walking, leading the small group out onto courtyard and past the front ranks of the trainees.  Now that they were closer, the teen could see the sweat on the faces and necks of the men and women closest to them, but they remained focused on the form and execution of every stance, block, or strike.

"I am sure my young charges would be quite eager to test themselves on truly worthy opponents, even if the three of you did fall so easily into the traps set by Warden."  The elderly woman continued.  "But at the moment, I have more pressing matters to attend."

Lady Shen came to a halt at a point about midway along the front rank of the trainees, turning suddenly to face the three teens behind her.  Her arms were crossed in front of her, each hand tripping the forearm of opposite arm.  <"Stop!">  She called out in Mandarin, her voice carrying easily over the cries of the trainees spread across the courtyard. 

Each of the trainees halted immediately, stepping back and bringing their feet together as their hands came in together at chest level and then were lowered down in front of their hips. 

<"Assemble!">  Lady Shen shouted next, again in Mandarin, while keeping her steely gaze fixed on Giang.

The trainees all began moving at once with practiced easy.  Those closest to Lady Shen and the teens moved away from them, splitting off to the right or the left.  The ones further out to the right or left sides moved towards the open space that was suddenly created.  In a matter of moments, there was a large open space beside Lady Shen and the teens, the trainees forming a U shape around the sides with multiple rows at each side of the U, all perfectly aligned.  Then as one each trainee knelt down onto the bricks of the courtyard, their feet tucked underneath so they were sitting on their heels with their feet perpendicular to the ground, their toes curled so the balls of their feet supported their weight.  Their hands were turned inward, resting on their upper thighs and their posture was upright and perfect.

"You are a mystery to me Xian Lou Khan."  Lady Shen then continued, speaking in English once more.  "And I do not like mysteries.  So it is time to being unraveling this one."  As she finished, she extended one arm out to her side, gesturing towards the open space inside the U formed by the trainees.

Giang had not been overly surprised when the guards had not led them back to the audience chamber, instead taking them someplace else for the audience with Lady Shen.  She was a bit surprised that they were taken outside, given the possibility that it would be easier to try to escape outside.  But of course there were the collars to give them pause.

The Asian teen took in their exotic surroundings, causing her to wonder just how far away from Freedom City they were.  The mass of students training in the courtyard before them brought back memories of the men that had attacked her and John at the Chinese New Year celebration in the West End a few months earlier.  Had those men all been trained here?  

She then turned to regard Lady Shen as she greeted them and Subito commented on her possibly wanting to turn them into servants of Dr. Sin.  While the Lady Shen acted as if Subito had just provided her with information she had wished to confirm, Giang had discussed her father working for Dr. Sin to Subito and Serge last night when they had first been placed in their cells, and she had little doubt that their conversations in the cells were monitored. 

The Asian teen followed along after Lady Shen when the guards had nudged them forward, remaining silent as Serge had been the next to try to learn more about their captor's goals.  Giang did her best to remain calm and focused, but remaining silent as they walked in along the front row of trainees. 

When Lady Shen called the gathered trainees to assemble, forming what could only be a sparing area, Giang had a feeling what Lady Shen wanted.  "And if I refuse?"  The Asian teen asked in a clam voice.

"Then we see how much your friends have to suffer before you no longer refuse."  Lady Shen relied coldly.    

Regarding the wall of impassive faces, Subito thought a cold mist of unreality settled over the world. But the Sun shone on, the trees waved gently and the air was still fragrant. There were birds whistling in the forest far away. This really was a foreign country. The word 'alien' suddenly felt rather fitting, misused though it had been for so long. "It's cool Giang, doubt they'll hurt us so early on, that'd just be crazy. and nobody who voluntarily works for an immortal weirdo whose sole contribution to the world is pain and death would ever be crazy" he said brightly, adding "I'll go first. See what these jokers can do."

Stepping forward, the muscular boy settled into a loose boxing stance roughly at the center of the impromptu ring, smiling brazenly with a confidence he could sort of feel "Gimme a good one, Lady Shen!" He wouldn't transform yet, give it time, work out a strategy first.

GM

As soon as Subito volunteered to go first and begun to move forward, Lady Shen casually raised her right hand to about head level.  Suddenly Subito felt a surge of pain shoot through his body, originating from his neck.  Although he remained on his feet and was able to shake off the effect, it did bring him to a halt.

"A small taste impertinent one."  The elderly woman stated as she lowered her hand once more.  "This was not an open invitation.  My interest is in her," she nodded her head ever so slightly towards Giang, "your primary purpose is to serve as motivation to cooperate.  Seeing you and your other friend experiencing agony is far more effective than simply telling her that it is being done if you are still back in your cells."

Serge knew that his buddy Subito was made of some very sturdy material, but he couldn't help but wince internally at the sight of his friend being electrocuted(or whatever kind of pain the device around his neck delivered). That he had the pressence of mind and self-restrain to keep his emotions to himself was nothing short of a miracle for the young hero, and it took everything he had to keep it that way and not lunge at their captor. "Yes, yes, you are a terrible, wicked, manipulative crone, and you have us all restrained well under your all-mighty grip, so we should bow our heads and praise our gods that you still oh-so-graciously allow us to draw breath, whoop-dee-doo." Serge mocked Lady Shen, all the while trying to reign in his fast-beating heart. "Well, seeing as you don't like a mystery, I have to note that a very important fact regarding our capture from you has so far eluded you."

"This," He pointed at the collar in his neck "is the only thing keeping you from having to spend the rest of your life being fed by a spoon. And that's less out of a fear for our lives, let me assure you, but more out of morbid curiosity; to see where exactly it is you are going with all these. To say that we're not affraid of dying would be a pointless lie, let us not mince our words here." Taking immense courage from seeing his friend stand on his two feet and take Shen's punishment, he continued "But, you see, and though I speak mainly for myself, I doubt that is any different for Heraldo and Tsunami here, I am very well prepared to give my life, if it meant that it would serve to annoy people such as yourself; people who think they can bend everyone else to their will, arrogant people who think themselves above, who would dispose others as if it meant nothing to them. So... yes, we are to serve as an example, for Tsunami to behave. But the thing is..."

Taking one step closer, Net Fly noted "The thing is... the moment we stop being alive, the moment we are harmed beyond repair... we stop being useful to you. Do you think that, at such a moment Tsunami would be more inclined to be cooperative? Well, then, you've got another thing coming all together. SO BRING IT ALL, THE FIRE AND THE LIGHTNING. DO YOUR WORST. BUT PLEAAASE! For heaven's sake, spare us the theatricalities." Serge gritted his teeth. He might have bitten more than he could chew, but he'd be damned if he went down without a word.

GM

Lady Shen did not even budge as Serge interceded, making a defiant speech and daring her to do her worst.  She fixed a steely gaze on the teenager as she calmly replied, "I am starting to tire of your insolence.  Perhaps I shall simply have to pursue other means to learn what I wish to know from Xian Lou, ones in which either of you play no further part."

"Do you really believe those collars are my only means of keeping you under control?"  She then added before she moved with blinding speed. 

Stepping forward slightly, her left hand shot forward two fingers extended outward to strike Serge at a point just above his collarbone.  At her strike, Serge took a slight step backward, as his entire body seemed to go numb.  His arms and legs felt as if they were many times heavier than normal.  Lady Shen had stepped back to assume a crane stance.

Flinching as the current slammed through him, Subito glared at Lady Shen as she struck his brainiac buddy with some kind of nerve-trauma, vitriol logjamming his brain as it tried to escape on his tongue...and closed his opened mouth firmly, setting it in a grim line. His bravado had been meant to goad Shen into setting the tougher students on them from the start so they wouldn't get worn down. He hadn't counted on Serge taking it as the cue for defiance.

'Can't let this get out of hand! Gotta try and get him to stop'

Jumping in front of Serge he held out his arms, looking the woman in the eye "Alright, fine. You've made your point Lady Shen, I'm sorry for running my mouth off like that and I'm sure Serge was just nervous and scared like me. We'll cooperate. Right Surge? We're not gonna endanger our pal like this, it won't help her or us or anyone!"

Serge bit his lips, as the numbing shock from the attack shot throughout his nervous system. "Well..." He responded to Lady Shen's comments. "Do you... really... want... an answer... to that?" He tried taunting the woman and keep the bravado up, but it was obvious that Lady Shen had hit a nerve... or ten. He could still feel a sizeable amount of control over his motor functions, but even that took effort on his side.

He had clenched his fist tightly, both to brace himself and to retaliate against the crime boss, but Subito's words held him back. "R-Right... besides, we don't have to worry about anything. I've... no doubt that we won't even need to move a muscle, in order to get out of here safe and sound." Taking a deep breath, he allowed air to relax his muscles, but Serge never let go sight of Lady Shen. He didn't want to push his luck, he made no mistake about that, but he wasn't just gonna let her clobber him so easily either. If she wanted to hit a sandbag, she'd find that she should put some effort in it first.

GM

Lady Shen regarded Subito and Serge for a brief moment, her stance making it clear she was ready to continue if any of the teens pressed the issue.  But then, she stood back up straight, her arms crossing in front of her once more.  "I must say I admire your bravery young ones, even if it is mixed with foolhardiness and insolence."  She looked back over at Giang, though did not fully turn away from the two teenage boys.  "Now, if we are finished with defiant interruptions, I believe I was waiting to learn a bit more about you Xian Lou."

The elderly woman gestured once more back to the space around which the students that had previously been training were still kneeling and waiting.  One of the men, who appeared in his early twenties, had risen from his spot and moved into the space, waiting for Giang to make her way out there as well.

Giang had been just about to make her way out into the clear section of the courtyard when first Subito had tried to take her place and received a shock as punishment and then Serge had stepped forward to defend him.  The Asian teen had tensed slightly, but was caught off guard like the others when Lady Shen proved she was far quicker than she appeared, as she delivered a perfectly aimed nerve strike to Serge.  While the teen remained on his feet, it was clear that the strike had affected him.  Luckily, Subito jumped in to intervene.

While she was prepared to try to aid Serge and Subito if it came to it, she knew that such an endeavor would inevitably fail at the moment.  Until they could determine some means of getting rid of those collars, the chances of them escaping were minimal.  For now, they needed to bide their time and learn what they could about Lady Shen and this facility.

"Very well."  She said with as calm and relaxed voice as she could, stepping forward into cleared space and facing the waiting man.  After exchanging a brief bow with her opponent, the Asian teen shifted into a cat stance, her left hand extended out in front of her as her right was held up against her chest.

Her opponent entered a martial arts stance as well with a fierce cry before he moved towards the Asian teen, launching a front kick at her as he closed.  Giang easily sidestepped the attack, and with a sweep of her left foot, sent the man tumbling onto the ground.  He landed hard, but was quickly back up on his feet again, turning to face Giang once again.

Two more times the man attacked the teen, each time she dodged or deflected the attack and used first a throw, then another trip, to send the man sprawling onto the ground.  Each time he was quickly back up on his feet, but after the third time, he appeared to be moving a bit more gingerly, having been slammed three times onto the hard courtyard.

Lady Shen watched the exchanges rather impassively, although it quickly became apparent that she felt that the Asian teen was holding back, as she made a small gesture with one hand and two more of the trainees kneeling around open space leapt to their feet and moved forward so that they and the first man formed a small circle around the teenage girl, who shifted her stance into a more defensive posture as she considered the new threats.

Subito mutely winced each time Giang's opponent was smashed bodily into the ground. He was their enemy and served an evil regime, but it still looked like it had really hurt. The muscular teen relaxed, his schoolmate was more than holding her own, and maybe Lady Shen would decide this was enough and move on to something like oh. With a wry twitch of his lips he watched as two more stepped into the ring.

What was she even doing? Three at once? It was crazy!

Folding his arms across his chest, he struggled not to let himself glare openly at their captor, though she could probably tell that he was simmering already. But she hadn't forbidden one thing.

Raising his voice he called out "You can take them Giang! Take 'em down!"

Well... this is embarrasing to watch. Serge thought, as he stiffled a laugh. Watching Giang beat around Lady Shen's student was not only immensly satisfying, but also hilarious, due to how horrible the poor fellow was outmatched. When two more students entered the fray, Serge kept telling himself that both him, Subito, and Giang, had all been trained in multiple-hostiles-combat at Claremont Academy, and that was even without taking into account Giang's previous trainning. Still, he couldn't help clench his fists tighter and tighter at the knowledge that he was helpless to lend a hand to his friend.

Nevertheless, hearing Subito cheer Giang on brought a smile to him, and the young man nodded in agreement. Nice thinking, Subito! If we can't join her, the least we can do is lend her our endorsements. "Don't lose focus now, Giang! Keep alert!" He shouted, hoping that it would be just the right amount of attention-grabbing and not-distracting.

GM

If Lady Shen was bothered by Subito or Serge's shouts of encouragement, she did not show it, keeping her steely gaze on the teenage heroine before her.  While it was likely Giang heard the shouts, she also did not acknowledge them directly, keeping her focus on the situation at hand.

Stepping forward toward the original opponent she had been facing, the Asian teen once again sent him sprawling onto the stone courtyard before stepping away again and turning to face the remaining two opponents while shifting her stance to be ready for their attacks.  Those followed quickly after her movement, one of the two leading the charge, leaping over his fallen comrade and aiming a kick that was designed to cause Giang to step out of the way and into the path of the second who was following closely after.

But Giang had anticipated such a maneuver, having encountered the tactic with the Triad operatives that had attacked her and John Smith at the Chinese New Year celebrations in Freedom City back in February.  So when the second man arrived, aiming a strike at her, the Asian teen was already twisting away from the attack and guiding it aside with the palm of her left hand.

As her original opponent once again climbed back to his feet and began to try to circle around, Giang delivered a quick backhand strike to the man who had just attacked her with her left hand.  That was followed immediately with powerful kick to the man’s midsection, which sent him sprawling onto the ground and writhing in pain.

The other two opponents once again tried a coordinated attack, but Giang was able to glide out of the way of the attacks, delivering another counter attack to one of the two attackers that sent him to the ground unconscious.  A few moments later, she had blocked another attack from the remaining opponent and then disposed of this last opponent as well.

The Asian teen relaxed ever so slightly as she glanced around at the three downed opponents before glancing back over towards Lady Shen to see if she would order more of her students to attack.  But the elderly woman simply had a satisfied smile on her face.  "I see proper attention has been given to your training.  We could continue, of course, but that will do for the moment."

She made a small gesture and all the other kneeling students all jumped to their feet, a move that caused Giang to tense a moment, but then they all bowed in unison and then began to disperse, a few coming over to collect their downed comrades.

Lady Shen turned slightly to regard the three teens at once.  "While I attend to some other matters, please feel free to explore the grounds.  I would highly suggest not venturing too far beyond the beach to the north, nor flying too high.  You will not enjoy what those collars will do if you venture too far from the compound."

With that, the elderly woman turned and began walking away from the trio, the guards that had been following them thus far all leaving with her.

Clapping enthusiastically at Giang's martial-arts prowess, Subito walked over to her clapped the girl lightly on the back "Great going! Dunno if me or Surge coulda done that Giang. Thanks."

Glancing around the austere, elegantly archaic surroundings, the muscular teen gave a little shrug and wondered aloud "Wonder what there is to explore? Pro'lly not much, but eh. I think we should go clockwise, just check it out and see if there's anything we can use. Gotta be a fuse box or somethin' loose, all the important stuff in this base can't be underground or in that big rock back there" he thumbed at the doors they had just left, stretching his arms out behind his head and looking up at the sky wistfully. He wanted to fly, he could almost feel the island falling away as he soared off back to Blodeu and home...of course, then he'd just be a lesson to his friends. He wasn't sure what the collars could do, and wasn't intending to find out.

"You would be surprised. Lady Shen is no idiot." came a soft, slightly accented voice from behind them, the source being a fit young man with close-cropped hair and cold eyes, wearing the same uniform as the rest, but stark red where theirs was blue. Giang saw at a glance that he was Laotian, if much more strongly built than the norm for what looked like a boy in his late teens. He was sitting on the steps leading up to the building on their right, and looked as poised and composed as he was quiet.

Subito snorted, raising and eyebrow as he dropped his arms to hang deceptively loose at his sides "An' you'd be, what, in detention?"

"No," answered the boy without moving a muscle "I am one of the students told to watch you foreigners. Provide...a challenge, I think the word is, there are few with powers here. I am Akamu, and you, Subito Sondo, cannot beat me.

"Yeah, sure buddy, you're as good as Captain Thunder"

"It is not a boast. Mere fact. I am faster, stronger, more intelligent and better trained than you are."

Regarding the new arrival with mingled irritation and unease, Subito called out to the realm beyond his heart 'Hey, Dama, this guy for real or what? He is not lying, I am sad to say. But...it's a lonely power, he has naught but himself. If it comes to battle, we might have a chance together. Oh, good- I hope. ...What?! For crying out loud, Dama, we're not THAT disconnected. And we have pals.'

Edited by Arichamus

Giang watched quietly as Lady Shen ended the sparing and dismissed the assembled students.  She was slightly surprised they were being given an opportunity to wander the compound on their own.  But then, she had little doubt it was part of Lady Shen's attempts to keep them off guard.

Walking back over towards her friends, she gave a small nod in response to Subito's congratulations, though her face showed no sign of accomplishment.  "Thank you, but Lady Shen learned what she wanted to from the exercises, which was more than I had intended to allow."

The Asian teen considered Subito's comments on where they should explore and whether or not they could find any important systems to try and sabotage when a voice spoke up, causing the three Claremont students to glance over at the newcomer.  Giang studied the Laotian teen quietly during his exchange with Subito, before she noticed a number of other teens wearing the same red colored uniform.

Another young man moved up near Akamu.  He was tall, but leaner than the Laotian, and carried himself with an air of superiority.  By his dark hair and features, he appeared to be from India, or the surrounding region.  "Easy Akamu."  He stated, his speech also carrying a noticeable accent, as he looked over at the Laotian.  "We will have an opportunity to face them soon enough."

He then turned to regard the three Claremont students, his dark gaze sweeping over each of them.  "Welcome, I am Rudra."  He stated with the slightest bow to the three.

Behind him and Akamu were three other figures, two more young men, and a young woman who appeared to be Chinese.   She moved over to the other side of Akamu in order to have an unobstructed view of the Claremonters, her gaze almost predatory.

One of the young men was short, somewhat muscular, and gazed with obvious arrogance at the three Claremont students. He was of Japanese descent, and there was something vicious in his eyes. He chuckled. "Ha, undisciplined and disrespectful." He said with a sharp coldness. "If I am given the honor of sparring against any of you, I can imagine that none of you could stand before me."

He turned away, almost dismissive, before glancing behind me. "So you'll know who defeated you, they call me Shoki, I believe in your language, it means 'heat death'"

While his face didn't show it, Serge was clenching his fists even tighter than before. That rude Akamu fellow seemed to be raring for a beating, if he ever saw one. Shoki didn't appear to be much better. At least, the other student Rudra seemed more... composed.

"Tsk... this guy'll never learn how to lighten up." One of the students went, a carefree tone on his voice. He appeared to be of Korean descent, had bleached red hair and sharp features in his face, but he didn't seem as worked up as Akamu and Shoki, or as serious as Rudra. Walking close to Akamu and Shoki, he said "Come on, guys, why are you being such a jerk? If you know you're better than them, then there's no need to taunt them. Honestly, that you feel the need to do so is probably a sign of inadequecy on your parts!" the red haired student grinned a toothy grin at both Akamu and Shoki. One could have sworn that flames were errupting from his eyes as he said those words to the two students.

Turning at the captives, however, the red-haired student changed his face back to his more laid-back appearance. "Ah, well, anyways, since we're introducing ourselves, the name's Kang Jin-Ho. You can call me Jin-Ho if you like. Sorry about the others, Lady Shen's trainning courses are exhausting, both physically and mentally, and as a result, they have built a lot of pent up aggression. Don't take it personal, 'swhatImsayin'." He spake dismissively of the others, while shrugging his shoulders.

While Serge could appreciate the attitude, he couldn't help but feel that there was something wrong with the picture. Jin-Ho appeared to be WAY too relaxed, given his position. "... As opposed to you, I suppose?" he asked the red-haired student.

"Hey, I didn't say the courses aren't hard. It's just that they are only slightly harder than what I'm used to." Whether Jin-Ho was full of it, or telling the truth, Serge couldn't tell. However, it was evident that Jin-Ho was confident in his abilities. "And you must be Serge, eh? Saw your little scuffle with the Headmistress. Considering your predicament, I have to admit, that took guts." Serge laughed uncomfortably. As nice a way of saying he was being stupid as anyone could have mustered.  "Anyways, don't worry. It's just gonna be a sparring match. I'll just make sure to make a good show of it, just enough for Lady Shen to be pleased. There's no reason to go all out." Jin-Ho made to go back to the other students.

Serge perked his eyebrows at that comment. He's underestimating me. he thought. "You know, Kang Jin-Ho, it appears to me that you don't think I'll give you much trouble, eh?"

Jin-Ho, who had turned his back around, stopped. "... Well, let's be honest here, shall we? Of your little group, only Giang has fighting skills worth a damn. You and Subito have powers, and you probably know the basics, but that's it. In a straight up fight, even with your powers, you won't last more than a round."

Serge bit his lip. Jin-Ho had a point. Sure, he was given two years worth of courses on various martial arts, as part of his studies in Claremont, but that still didn't compensate for a lifetime worth of studying, like Giang had. And he was definitely compensating for his blindspots with his powers. He DID notice that when Jin-Ho mentioned Giang, his features had turned sharper than when conversing with him.  Huh... so unless he deems you worthy of his attention, he has no trouble of being nice to you...

"So that's why I'm telling you: Don't get too wound up; It's just a trainning exercise."

Edited by Vahnyu

Akamu snorted "Inadequacy is a good word for it, Jin," he replied, though more evenly than before "none of us would dare be just 'adequate'. But perhaps I shouldn't speak for everyone." he added with a sideways glance up at the slighter boy. Tensing, the bulky youth leaped to his feet and across the packed dirt between him and the Claremonters, the ground rippling subtly as he flew over. He walked over to the group and gave Giang, Serge and Subito a short bow "But we do this in the wrong order: welcome to this island of Sin, one of his many places of power and the seat of Lady Shen, his trusted lieutenant. We do not wish to make you our enemies. I and my comrades" he gestured at the other students behind him "are here to ensure you are secure against those who seek to keep you from your true potential, and are pitted against more than mere mortal skill can ever give you. Surely," he said loudly over his shoulder, "we do not forget a mission so soon after we get it."

Turning back to the teen heroes he smiled, though the curve of the lips and deepening cheeks didn't do anything to soften his icy stare. Offering a hand to Subito he said "I apologize, Subito Sondo. I meant my words just as a warning, not a threat."

"Those are just about the exact same thing, buddy" snapped the young paragon, who shook Akamu's hand with little of his usual vigor and gave him a suspicious look "[color-#808000]but I'll let that slide, this ain't English class. No worries on the tough-guy talk, not a lotta ways to do that that aren't real thuggish and make you sound like a closet psychopathic megalomaniac. Also, how do you know my name?" 'color=#000044]Is it not obvious, my champion? They must have heard you last- Nope, I refuse to believe that, no way But it is- Shush!'

"The wardens heard you say "I'll-I'll sink your b'ttl'ssship or my name isn't S'bito S'ndoooooo" last night, and your schoolmates called you 'Subito', so it was likely Sondo was your surname." Akamu explained calmly, flicking a bug out of his hair.

'...Go on. Say it. Say what? What do you mean? You know exactly what I mean. Say 'I told you so.' and get it over with. Say it! Well... SAY IT! I cannot. It would not be true. You never let me finish. Grrrrrrrr.'

Subito flushed and grimaced "I...see. Crap. Something to work on I guess. Um. Don't suppose you'd show us around this crazy island super-base? Seein' as we're supposed to be your new brothers..well, brothers- and sisters-in-arms and so forth." he added with a glance at Giang and the girl hanging back with the others, shuddering inwardly at the way she was looking at the young supers.

Akamu raised an eyebrow, but turned to look at his own fellow students "Should we? I think not. Let them find their own way, better for the memory."