Raindance - PL 11 - Griffalo

Players Name: Griffalo

Power Level: 11 (161 PPs)

Unspent PPs: 6

Characters Name: Raindance

Alternate Identity: Mark Cooper (Private)

Height: 6 ft

Weight: 180 lbs

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

Description: He possesses the build of someone who evidently had a shift of priorities later in his life; it's clear that he used to be quite chubby and lazy, but the hero gig has caused him to get fitter quickly. He wears a costume designed to look stylish and edgy, reminiscent of the current Claremont Academy letterman jacket and pants combo.

History: If Mark Cooper had the presence of mind to come in from the rain one day, his life would still be frighteningly normal. Raised by middle-class parents, attending public school and not really excelling in any field, he seemed destined to live out some variation of his parents' life; stuck behind a desk doing a thankless and fairly uninspired clerical job. It was during a thunderstorm that Mark decided that, rather than go for the nearest building and risk a soaking, he would take shelter under a tree in the hopes that the storm would relent and he would stay relatively dry. Next thing he knew, he was waking up on the ground, his footprints having turned to glass in the sandy soil.

The accident had triggered a latent mutant gene in him, granting the ability to control the weather. His neighbourhood experienced some very freakish weather for a time before Duncan Summers and his team realised that someone was trying to control their powers. Since he was nearing the end of his school career by this time, Mark declined joining the Claremont Academy as a student, but eagerly took to the training that Summers was willing to provide.

ABILITIES:

STR: 12 (+1)

DEX: 16 (+3)

CON: 14 (+2)

INT: 12 (+1)

WIS: 16 (+3)

CHA: 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Computers 4 (+5), Concentration 12 (+15), Diplomacy 2 (+4), Drive 4 (+7), Gather Info 2 (+4), Intimidate 8 (+10), Knowledge: Earth Sciences 4 (+5), Knowledge: Popular Culture 4 (+5), Medicine 2 (+5), Notice 8 (+11), Search 2 (+3), Survival 8 (+11)

FEATS: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 1, Environmental Adaptation (Extreme Weather), Favored Environment (Airborne), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Shot

POWERS:

Flight 4

Immunity 5 (Weather)

Super Senses - Counters Obscure (Weather Descriptor) 2

Device 1 (4 pp, Costume (Hard to Lose)): Protection 5)

Blast 11 - Lightning (Feats: Indirect, Dynamic) (24 pp + 18 pp in Dynamic APs)

Alternate Powers (All Dynamic):

Weather Control 11 (Distraction (Driving rain, 5000 ft, DC10))

Weather Control 11 (Cold (Extreme, 5000 ft))

Weather Control 11 (Hamper Movement (Strong Winds, 5000 ft, 1/4 move))

Weather Control 11 (Heat (Extreme, 5000 ft)))

Air Control 11 (Heavy Load: 12 tons)

Dazzle - Thunderclap (Auditory, Area Blast) 11

Obscure - Fog (Visual, 5000 ft) 11

Obscure - Howling winds (Auditory, Visual, 5000 ft; Flaws: Visual is Partial -1) 11

Trip 11 (Extra: Knockback)

COMBAT: Attack 8 [unarmed +1 (Bruise)] Defense 19 (14 flat-footed) Init 7

SAVES: Toughness 9 (7 flat-footed) Fortitude 6 Reflex 7 Will 7

Abilities 24 + Skills 15 (60 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 61 + Combat 32 + Saves 12 – Drawbacks 0 = 155 / 155

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Description: He possesses the build of someone who evidently had a shift of priorities later in his life; it's clear that he used to be quite chubby and lazy, but the hero gig has caused him to get fitter quickly. He wears a costume designed to look stylish and edgy, reminiscent of the current Claremont Academy letterman jacket and pants combo.

History: If Mark Cooper had the presence of mind to come in from the rain one day, his life would still be frighteningly normal. Raised by middle-class parents, attending public school and not really excelling in any field, he seemed destined to live out some variation of his parents' life; stuck behind a desk doing a thankless and fairly uninspired clerical job. It was during a thunderstorm that Mark decided that, rather than go for the nearest building and risk a soaking, he would take shelter under a tree in the hopes that the storm would relent and he would stay relatively dry. Next thing he knew, he was waking up on the ground, his footprints having turned to glass in the sandy soil.

The accident had triggered a latent mutant gene in him, granting the ability to control the weather. His neighbourhood experienced some very freakish weather for a time before Duncan Summers and his team realised that someone was trying to control their powers. Since he was nearing the end of his school career by this time, Mark declined joining the Claremont Academy as a student, but eagerly took to the training that Summers was willing to provide.

ABILITIES:

SKILLS: Computers 4 (+5), Concentration 12 (+15), Diplomacy 2 (+4), Drive 4 (+7), Gather Info 2 (+4), Intimidate 8 (+10), Knowledge: Earth Sciences 4 (+5), Knowledge: Popular Culture 4 (+5), Medicine 2 (+5), Notice 8 (+11), Search 2 (+3), Survival 8 (+11)

FEATS: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 1, Environmental Adaptation (Extreme Weather), Favored Environment (Airborne), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Shot

POWERS:

Flight 4

Immunity 5 (Weather)

Obscure - Howling winds (Auditory, Visual, 5000 ft; Flaws: Visual is Partial -1) 11

Abilities 24 + Skills 15 (60 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 61 + Combat 32 + Saves 12 – Drawbacks 0 = 155 / 155

ABILITIES:

POWERS:

Flight 4

Immunity 5 (Weather)

ABILITIES:

POWERS:

Flight 4

Immunity 5 (Weather)

ABILITIES:

POWERS:

Flight 4

Immunity 5 (Weather)

okay, well first off I'm counting 136 pp spent not the full 150. I'm not saying you need to spend them all just letting you know that you hadn't. Second, I initially forgot to list the saves down in my format. I've added them in as of this morning but you didn't have that benefit when you made the character so I can add them in for you or you can do it yourself (remember you can spend pp's to raise your fort, ref, and will at character creation too so you might want to spend some of those points you haven't spent yet there).

Now down to brass tacks: How long has your character been out of high school? How does he cope with having a secret identity? Does anyone know or is it a complete secret?

Stat wise I've got a few concerns: notably you've got a lot of ranks in Concentration and I was wondering why, not in term of dice rolling but in terms of character. Has he spent time training in meditation or something along those lines?

Also Fearsome Presence is usually reserved for those character that are unnatural in appearance, zombies or lich kings that kind of thing, if you're looking to scare the baddies then your 8 ranks of intimidate are more than enough to get the job done.

The equipment thing, if your costume is armored with bulky metal or ceramic plates and anyone who glances at it can tell that its armor then its equipment. If it doesn't look like armor but still acts like armor then its probably a device and should be changed.

other than that though everything seems hunky-dorey. any questions or concerns just post them here and I'll address them as soon as I see them.

okay, well first off I'm counting 136 pp spent not the full 150. I'm not saying you need to spend them all just letting you know that you hadn't. Second, I initially forgot to list the saves down in my format. I've added them in as of this morning but you didn't have that benefit when you made the character so I can add them in for you or you can do it yourself (remember you can spend pp's to raise your fort, ref, and will at character creation too so you might want to spend some of those points you haven't spent yet there).

Now down to brass tacks: How long has your character been out of high school? How does he cope with having a secret identity? Does anyone know or is it a complete secret?

Stat wise I've got a few concerns: notably you've got a lot of ranks in Concentration and I was wondering why, not in term of dice rolling but in terms of character. Has he spent time training in meditation or something along those lines?

Also Fearsome Presence is usually reserved for those character that are unnatural in appearance, zombies or lich kings that kind of thing, if you're looking to scare the baddies then your 8 ranks of intimidate are more than enough to get the job done.

The equipment thing, if your costume is armored with bulky metal or ceramic plates and anyone who glances at it can tell that its armor then its equipment. If it doesn't look like armor but still acts like armor then its probably a device and should be changed.

other than that though everything seems hunky-dorey. any questions or concerns just post them here and I'll address them as soon as I see them.

Ah, since I forgot to list them it's likely where those missing points went. It was early mornign and I was rushing to post it before I had to get ready for work. :) I'll double check tonight when I'm at home and have access to the character sheet.

I figure he's probably been out of high school for maybe 3 years. Sometimes he hates having a secret identity, because he's proud of his abilities and wishes more people knew him for who he "really" was, but he appreciates that the secret identity protects his friends and family from attacks by enemies. His close family know and his parents worry about him risking himself to help people who he doesn't really know.

Well, I figure he would have had extensive training with Claremont; being a weather controller, he sees it's important for him to have more control over his powers even than normal - for him to cause the kind of devastation seen in the worst tropical storms just because he lost control definitely scares him.

I'm not really attached to them, to be honest it was somewhere to drop leftover points. I saw it as "strike a suitable pose and scare opponents with nature's fury" type thing, but the Intimidate works well enough on its own.

Again, this was somewhere to drop points, as well as make him a little more resistant in combat. You're right in that it'll probably work better as a Device, since I want it to resemble more biker leathers / workwear rather than plate armor, so I figure maybe turning it into a Device, dropping a rank or two of Protection to give it Subtle would work better.

Ah, since I forgot to list them it's likely where those missing points went. It was early mornign and I was rushing to post it before I had to get ready for work. :) I'll double check tonight when I'm at home and have access to the character sheet.

I figure he's probably been out of high school for maybe 3 years. Sometimes he hates having a secret identity, because he's proud of his abilities and wishes more people knew him for who he "really" was, but he appreciates that the secret identity protects his friends and family from attacks by enemies. His close family know and his parents worry about him risking himself to help people who he doesn't really know.

Well, I figure he would have had extensive training with Claremont; being a weather controller, he sees it's important for him to have more control over his powers even than normal - for him to cause the kind of devastation seen in the worst tropical storms just because he lost control definitely scares him.

I'm not really attached to them, to be honest it was somewhere to drop leftover points. I saw it as "strike a suitable pose and scare opponents with nature's fury" type thing, but the Intimidate works well enough on its own.

Again, this was somewhere to drop points, as well as make him a little more resistant in combat. You're right in that it'll probably work better as a Device, since I want it to resemble more biker leathers / workwear rather than plate armor, so I figure maybe turning it into a Device, dropping a rank or two of Protection to give it Subtle would work better.

well yes and no, so long as you don't give protection the obvious flaw then it can look like pretty much whatever you want. Plus if you're not really hell bent on fearsome presence then those points plus the point from equipment can make you a pretty snazzy costume that also has protection. Just a thought though.

OH, something else I forgot to ask but as you have your blast written now it comes directly from you, if you wanted it to work like actual lightning you'd need at least one point of the indirect power feat added to it to make it come from the sky. More ranks of indirect (up to 3) would allow you to 'bend' the lightning to hit people from just about any angle you chose.

The way I see it and this is just a suggestion I don't want to build your character for you, but if you dropped fearsome presence and equipment picked up one point of indirect for your lightning blast and used four points for device: costume with protection: 5 then you'd have one point left to spend wherever you liked.

well yes and no, so long as you don't give protection the obvious flaw then it can look like pretty much whatever you want. Plus if you're not really hell bent on fearsome presence then those points plus the point from equipment can make you a pretty snazzy costume that also has protection. Just a thought though.

OH, something else I forgot to ask but as you have your blast written now it comes directly from you, if you wanted it to work like actual lightning you'd need at least one point of the indirect power feat added to it to make it come from the sky. More ranks of indirect (up to 3) would allow you to 'bend' the lightning to hit people from just about any angle you chose.

The way I see it and this is just a suggestion I don't want to build your character for you, but if you dropped fearsome presence and equipment picked up one point of indirect for your lightning blast and used four points for device: costume with protection: 5 then you'd have one point left to spend wherever you liked.

Yeah, pretty much what I was going for there. Wouldn't Device 4 give me far too many points just to make a costume, though?

I was also considering this if I dropped Fearsome Presence, but the way I understand it I'd have to drop ranks of Blast to shoehorn the Feat in, since it's an Alternate Power. However, since Weather Control is an array, I can add the Feat directly to the whole Array, correct?

Yeah, pretty much what I was going for there. Wouldn't Device 4 give me far too many points just to make a costume, though?

I was also considering this if I dropped Fearsome Presence, but the way I understand it I'd have to drop ranks of Blast to shoehorn the Feat in, since it's an Alternate Power. However, since Weather Control is an array, I can add the Feat directly to the whole Array, correct?