Freedom Eagle II (PL10) - BType

Player Name: BType

Character Name: Jack O'Connor

Power Level: 10 (150/151PP)

Trade-Offs: +1 Attack/-1 Damage, +1 Defense/-1 Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 1

Progress To Bronze Status: 1/30

In Brief: Nephew of Freedom's mayor, Michael O'Connor Jr, Jack takes up his grandfather's legacy as Freedom Eagle.

Alternate Identity: Jack O'Connor

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Freedom City

Occupation: Businessman, CEO and Chairman of Freedom Consolidated

Affiliations: None

Family: Michael O'Connor Jr.

Description:

Apparent Age: 26

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 6'0''

Weight: 187lbs

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Black

Michael is a well-build young man who frequently is known to dress in expensive suits when in his civilian identity, especially when managing Freedom Consolidated. As Freedom Eagle II, his costume is mostly black, but for the golden eagle design on the chest. The wings, gauntlets, and helmet of his costume are gold-colored. When in flight or using them defensively the pseudometal wings become rigid, but flexible. When idle, they fall to the ground like two capes.

Power Descriptions:

Jack himself has no superhuman powers, being a human being in excellent physical and mental shape. He is however equipped with several advanced devices that give him superhuman abilities, namely flight and limited superhuman strength.

History:

Jack O'Connor is the son of Carter O'Connor, younger brother of Freedom City's Mayor, Michael O'Connor Jr, and grandson of Michael O'Connor Sr. wealthy inventor and formerly the Liberty League member and beloved superhero Freedom Eagle.

While Michael inherited much of their father's charisma and leadership qualities, using them to go into politics, Carter inherited more of his inventive genius with mechanical and electronics, using it increase the fortune their father had left them. Marrying his high school sweetheart Shiera Blake, in '87 they had a child, whom they named Jack.

Tragedy struck in 1993 when six-year-old Jack was orphaned when the Terminus Invasion struck the world. Attempting to evacuate to safety, the sedan they fled it was totaled and nearly destroyed by a blast from an Omegadrone's power pike. While Jack survived the crash, his parents did not.

Having no other legal guardian except his uncle Michael, he was later sent to be raised by him, though in actuality he spent more time with his grandfather in those early years as Michael O'Connor crusaded in his early years as Mayor of Freedom City. Raised on a combination of his grandfather's stories of the Golden Age and his uncle's sense of civic duty and responsibility, Jack recovered from his tragedy with a strong desire to leave the world better then when he came into it, and to prevent deaths like his parents.

Already showing signs of his father's inventive creativity, he for most of his life struggled with trying to decide how he wanted to make the world better, until a trip into his uncle's attic when he was fifteen gave him an answer when he found the original costume of Freedom Eagle. It wasn't difficult for Jack to figure out the Winged Wonder of Freedom's true identity after that, and he began to tinker and alter the suit's daka crystal core and gravity gauntlets, attempting to use modern science to improve what his grandfather made.

When his uncle found him, he expressly forbid that he become Freedom Eagle, and that he let the legacy lie in peace rather then endanger himself, possibly even getting himself killed, somthing he claimed his brother wound not want. Jack was adamant however, and much to Michael's surprise, so was his grandfather! Eventually he relented, with one requirement: that Jack get proper training in being a superhero first. Jack was unsure what that meant until he was transfered to Claremont Academy as one of it's first students and met his classmates.

Excelling at both his studies and his training with his classmates, Jack was considered perhaps a bit too serious by most of his peers at Claremont, though his initial vigilante activies with what the student Sonic flippantly dubbed "The NextGen" showed that his studies paid off a greal deal.

Much to everyone's surprise, he did not initially become a superhero upon graduating at the same time as his classmate Fletcher Beaumont III (also known as The Bowman), instead enlisting for AEGIS as one of it's "special outreach recruits" directly from high school. Though this surprised some people, those in the know were aware that Director Horatio Powers knew Michael O'Connor Sr (and therefore Jack O'Connor's) secret identity through Jack Simmons, formerly the Patriot, still serving his country after his biological death in an android body as Special Agent "Faraday Irons", and thus jumped at the opportunity to train and mold a teen superhero into the perfect AEGIS field agent.

Jack, after some initial bumps and starts served a stellar record with AEGIS, with "Agent Irons" eventually revealing his true identity out of respect for his old friend Freedom Eagle, and Director Powers instistance that Simmons convice Jack to join him and become part of an AEGIS-controlled superteam. Much to both of their surprise, Jack did not accept, instead resigning from AEGIS after four years of service, and instead enrolled in Harvard Colleage, earning his MBA at twenty-four, claiming that that had been his original plan all along anyway.

Jack then returned to Freedom City, used his inheritence to make a start-up technology company, flippantly named "Freedom Consolidated", where he is now CEO and Chairman, spending his off-duty hours as Freedom Eagle II for the first time since high school.

Personality & Motivation:

Jack, despite the early tragedy in his life, is rather well-adjusted thanks to his uncle and grandfather's efforts. While the public percieves him as a somewhat flamboyant and young businessman with far too many temporary girlfriends, his charities and relationship with their favorite Mayor keep the public from truly disliking him. In private Jack is charming, but often seems distracted to most people he knows, though his acumen at managing Freedom Consolidated has kept the board of directors quiet about his public flamboyance.

As Freedom Eagle his personality is notably different, becoming highly driven and goal-oriented while retaining a certain charm and a dry sense of humor, coming off as a combination of professional soldier and costumed adventurer.

Powers & Tactics:

All of Jack's powers come from his Anti-Gravity Flight Harness. Powered by daka crystals from the African nation of Dakana, the harness uses daka crystal's unique electromagnetic and gravity-warping properties to self-proelled flight. The wings are part of the harness, and are not actually the source of propulsion, instead acting as a maenuver control system.

The original pair of wings having long since been rendered unusable, Jack instead replaced them with an advance lightweight metallic pair made out of "pseudometal", a shape-memory material that flexes and stiffens when energy current is applied to them. Using psychoactive controls inside of his helmet, Jack is able to make the wings resemble a simple pair of capes joined with a clasp on the front of his costume or flex them into place, becoming almost indestructible surfaces he uses both as defensive shields and flight controllers.

The other advanced piece of equipment are his gravity gauntlets. Appearing as simple goldel gloves, they are made out of the same flexible pseudometal as his wings, transforming from something akin to rubberized surfaces to articulated and unbreakable plate armor gauntlets depending on Jack's needs. Using "mass shadow manipulation" the gauntlets artifically increase the effective "mass" behind Jack's blows, making it seem as if they were being thrown by a much stronger, heavier individual without Jack's actual weight or mass changing at all. They also increase his strength by a large factor by lightening loads he carries: with them he can lift just over 5 tons with relative ease.

The final piece of the harness is the suit itself, which is highly advanced body armor akin to Kevlar, reinforced by an "interial dampening field" that bleeds off the effective mass behind various assaults, allow him to survive superhuman blows and other such massive trauma without instantly being killed, as well as letting him shrug off lighter attacks almost entirely.

Complications:

Maneuverability Loss [Wings]: While the harness's anti-gravity engine propels Jack through the air, if his wings are bound he looses any ability to maneuver himself at all, as they act as rudders for his anti-gravity thrusters.

Secret [identity]: Jack protects both his own identity, as well as his grandfather's secret identity and his uncle's relationship to both of them.

Fame: Jack is one of Freedom's most prominent businessmen and the son of it's beloved mayor, making him a major public figure. Paparazzi often follow his movements, making it more difficult to maintain his dual identity.

Responsibilities: As both the Mayor's nephew and head of Freedom Consolidated, Jack has a number of important responsibilities dividing up his time, especially when his superhero activities are taken into consideration.

Abilities: 4 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 34PP

Strength: 14 (+2)

Dexterity: 16 (+3)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 22 + 16 = 38PP

Initiative: +3

Attack: +11

Melee: +11

Ranged
: +11

Grapple: +19

Defense: +11 (+8 Base, +2 Dodge Focus, +1 Shield), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -6

Saving Throws: 4 + 4 + 4 = 12PP

Toughness: +9 (+3 Con, +4 Protection, +2 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +7 (+3 Con, +4)

Reflex: +7 (+3 Dex, +4)

Will: +7 (+3 Wis, +4)

Skills: 80R = 20PP

Acrobatics 6 (+9)

Computers 6 (+9)

Craft: Electronic 7 (+10)

Craft: Mechanical 7 (+10)

Knowledge: History 4 (+7)

Knowledge: Business 4 (+7)

Knowledge: Civics 4 (+7)

Knowledge: Current Events 4 (+7)

Knowledge: Streetwise 5 (+8)

Knowledge: Technology 7 (+10)

Notice 5 (+8)

Profession (Businessman) 4 (+7)

Search 6 (+9)

Sense Motive 5 (+8)

Stealth 6 (+9)

Feats: 14=14PP

Acrobatic Bluff

Benefit (Wealth) 2

Challenge: Improved Feint

Defensive Roll

Dodge Focus 2

Elusive Target

Evasion

Move-by Action

Power Attack

Redirect

Stunning Attack

Takedown Attack 1

Powers: 32=32PP

Device 8 (Freedom Eagle Anti-Gravity Harness, 40PP, Flaw: Hard to Loose) [32PP]

-Flight 6 (500mph) [12PP]

-Protection 4 (Body Armor, Impervious) [8PP]

-Strike 6 (Gravity Gauntlets, Power Feats: Mighty) [7PP]

-Super-Strength 6 (5.6 tons) (12PP)

-Shield 1 (Pseudometal Wings) (1PP)

ATTACK    RANGE  SAVE     EFFECT

Unarmed   Touch     DC17     Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)

Strike        Touch     DC23     Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities 34 + Combat 38 + Saving Throws 12 + Skills 20 + Feats 14 + Powers 32 - Drawbacks 0 = 150/151 Power Points

Edited by Fox
+1pp for July 2013

Looks in good shape to me. A few things to ask:

1. Could do with a few bolds under headings as per our character sheets, could you put them in to make it easier to read?

2. It looks like he is just under offensive caps: +11 Attack, +8 DC. Normally we ask for people to meet Caps on character creation. Its only -1/2 PL so we could be lenient I guess, but I imagine its pretty easy to knock up one more rank of strike or melee attack. 

3. On that note, does he need thrown on his gravity gauntlet strike power? seems a little odd to me. Your call, but I always envisaged that working for knives, spears, and so on. Throwing a pair of gloves is novel, I'll give you that! ;) its a possibly way you could knock it up to Strike 7 power if that's dropped. 

4. As for Favoured Environment. Please note our house rules (you may have already). Favoured Environment does not count against PL caps. My concern here is that "Air" is too broad, as he would be doing a lot of fighting in this environment. We use a 3E version of this feat - whilst it "breaks" caps, we ensure it is pretty specific. If you tighten it down to something like "Stratospheric" or something, as in far away from the ground, it would be easier to fly (arf arf), but to be honest, might be better dropped. 

Up, up, and away! (And enjoy!)

Looks in good shape to me. A few things to ask:

1. Could do with a few bolds under headings as per our character sheets, could you put them in to make it easier to read?

2. It looks like he is just under offensive caps: +11 Attack, +8 DC. Normally we ask for people to meet Caps on character creation. Its only -1/2 PL so we could be lenient I guess, but I imagine its pretty easy to knock up one more rank of strike or melee attack. 

3. On that note, does he need thrown on his gravity gauntlet strike power? seems a little odd to me. Your call, but I always envisaged that working for knives, spears, and so on. Throwing a pair of gloves is novel, I'll give you that! ;) its a possibly way you could knock it up to Strike 7 power if that's dropped. 

4. As for Favoured Environment. Please note our house rules (you may have already). Favoured Environment does not count against PL caps. My concern here is that "Air" is too broad, as he would be doing a lot of fighting in this environment. We use a 3E version of this feat - whilst it "breaks" caps, we ensure it is pretty specific. If you tighten it down to something like "Stratospheric" or something, as in far away from the ground, it would be easier to fly (arf arf), but to be honest, might be better dropped. 

Up, up, and away! (And enjoy!)

1: Done and done, thanks for reminding me!

2: I'd rather leave his Attack and damage where it is: it's only a tiny difference anyway I thought, and having to change it up would force me to recalculate stuff again, and my math skills are truly gawdawful.

3: The "Thown" on his gauntlet isn't him throwing his gauntlets: it's throwing tossable objects as projectiles, using the gauntlet's gravity-altercation systems to make it act as if they were thrown by a larger, heavier person, just like how it amps his punches. It's not a Blast effect, because the range is abysmal, moreover he needs something large enough to throw, rather then just anything at all, usally something the size of a baseball or larger mass. It also doesn't stack with thrown weaponry at all like Strength would because it's not actually increasing his real strength, just sort of 'catapaulting' the weapon using the "added" mass the gravity gauntlets give his blows. On a side note, I actually asked this question myself on Atomic Think Tank once: someone clarified that he's not throwing the gauntlets, he's just throwing...stuff.

4: I get what your saying. My issue here is difficulty in definition. He can't do the statosphere, because thanks to his otherwise complete human limitations, he is actually completely incapable of breathing at high altitudes like anyone else would (which reminds me, when I get PP for him I gotta upgrade his Device so that the helmet can actually do stuff like that). I'm not sure what the "cutoff" should be here. Above street level doesn't help, and neither does above buildings as a clarifier, because building's vary in size. I was only going to have it apply when he's got room to maneuver in the Air basically, not just hovering above the ground, which I'm not sure how to describe for the purposes of the Feat. It's akin to the Falcon or Hawkman's ability to outfight otherwise stronger or tougher heroes in the air thanks to their excellent aerobatics and maenuverability. Him having at least a marginal advantage in flight is one of the key things of the entire build, even in the 2nd Ed version of it. If it's really too much trouble, I'll just drop it and exchange it for some skill points or something, I dunno....

Edited by BType

Thanks BType!

As for being just under offensive caps, that's ok by me. Heads up to you however its one of those grey area's so be prepared for other refs to question this. 

As for the thrown thing. This seems a muddle to me. Looking at the core rule Strike power, Thrown feat: "Once you have thrown your Strike attack, you cannot use it again until you recover it. This may involve picking up a thrown weapon, or regrowing a natural weapon". This does not seem to reflect what you are looking for. I would suggest what you are looking for is an Alternate Power: Enhanced Feat (Improved Throw 6), which would add +6 to your thrown damage (although this means he could fling paperclips etc). There would be other ways of doing it, but this seems the neatest to me. The Thrown feat means you get a ranged attack for your Strike power once. In any case this probably needs looking at. 

As for the favoured environment, I totally get where you are coming from. However, I think the neatest thing is to drop the Favoured Environment feat. You could simulate what you describe with a higher acrobatics skills, the Feat Challenge: Fast Acrobatic Feint, or the Moving Feint feat, I guess (a high acrobatics skill would seem to be the best way to me). 

Thanks BType!

As for being just under offensive caps, that's ok by me. Heads up to you however its one of those grey area's so be prepared for other refs to question this. 

As for the thrown thing. This seems a muddle to me. Looking at the core rule Strike power, Thrown feat: "Once you have thrown your Strike attack, you cannot use it again until you recover it. This may involve picking up a thrown weapon, or regrowing a natural weapon". This does not seem to reflect what you are looking for. I would suggest what you are looking for is an Alternate Power: Enhanced Feat (Improved Throw 6), which would add +6 to your thrown damage (although this means he could fling paperclips etc). There would be other ways of doing it, but this seems the neatest to me. The Thrown feat means you get a ranged attack for your Strike power once. In any case this probably needs looking at. 

As for the favoured environment, I totally get where you are coming from. However, I think the neatest thing is to drop the Favoured Environment feat. You could simulate what you describe with a higher acrobatics skills, the Feat Challenge: Fast Acrobatic Feint, or the Moving Feint feat, I guess (a high acrobatics skill would seem to be the best way to me). 

I gotcha on the Thrown thing.

I was thinking of dropping thrown for a point of adding Shield into the Device to represent his indestructible wings being used as a passive defense anyway, which would bring my Defense up to cap. Plus the imagery of him using flexible but indestructible wings to Captain America-style block attacks is something that attracted me to the character idea in the first place!

I'll also drop Favoured Environment for a different Feat, I think Challenge: Improved Feint to allow him to Feint easier, since he's also got Redirect and Acrobatic Bluff, so obviously it's part of his combat style, lots of confusing aerobatics and blindside hits.

Edited by BType

Things look fairly good. That Impervious will only apply to attacks with a Damage bonus of +4, though. You okay with that?

It's part of the original build, but actually yeah, I like it quite a bit. It means lesser assaults can't hurt him, but a guy with something like a .45 pistol or heavier still has the chance to hurt him. He's not properly invulnerable, he can just ignore less potent physical assaults.

• 5 months later...