World where the Schattenwelt is the major powers source

Ari

I'm planning a thing where a character with light powers(probably Young Britannia hi Tiff!) goes to an alternate Earth where powers tied to darkness are the effective norm.

So, what besides the obvious historical shifts should I keep in mind? And is this fitting with established alternate worlds? The reason why the world is the way it is has two main roots: a quirk of natural selection that led to human vision becoming much more effective in the dark and making them much more comfortable in it, and rituals enacted by the Earth's Master Mages who made seemingly peaceful contact with the creatures living in the Shadow-World; they've drawn the universe almost into the dark abyss to hide from evil forces in the omniverse. Thus, the Schattenwelt infest almost every corner of that world and has awakened the powers of most of the world's superhumans, save for a few struggling to keep alive the Light.

(All the above not final, as issues do crop up)

Edited by Arichamus

Well IIRC the Shattenwalt is the default source of power for undead; effectively the Negative Energy Plane, to use a D&D analog. You'd likely see a lot more vampires, zombies, lichs, ghouls, et cetera running around. If the place is too suffused with the Shattenwalt, the dead may even spontaneously rise, if the bodies aren't destroyed.

Well IIRC the Shattenwalt is the default source of power for undead; effectively the Negative Energy Plane, to use a D&D analog. You'd likely see a lot more vampires, zombies, lichs, ghouls, et cetera running around. If the place is too suffused with the Shattenwalt, the dead may even spontaneously rise, if the bodies aren't destroyed.

I would second this too.

You could also make "super" undead or something like that, because this Shadow-Earth is is "closer" in cosmological terms to the source of these life-sucking undead horrors, so greater, more potent versions arise to the main universe maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

No foolin'! A world where shadows lie deeper, evil has dug its fangs deeply into the world, monsters lurk just beyond the light? A universe drawn into horrible danger by powerful magicians? Almost a perfect fit.

Of course it's not EXACTLY like the WoD, just very reminiscent in the broad strokes, like a world next door to it or a lawyer-friendly version with more emphasis on superheroes. Won't have to worry about Why-Bee violating the Masquerade there!

So...

Why not the inverse of that Ari?

Light is as harsh, and unforgiving as the darkness is soothing, and enveloping.  That this world exists on principles that are a 180 of what our world sees as right and normal would be as good a subversion of things as anything else.

Edited by TheAbsurdist

Well the simple fact is that the Shadow ISN'T a benevolent power in this universe. Even good people who use it aren't quite right, and it's very nature is a hunger to destroy and consume. That and this isn't really anti-Earth, just darker and where evil has a stronger grip. The people with the shadow powers are still mostly heroes, but they're not quite the same as those on Earth-Prime.

Still, you and troll make some good points. The Light-Bearers on Shadow-Earth aren't really evil, just colder, more insular and concerned with destroying the Shadow than bringing out the good in humanity.

To be frank, subverting that would kind of make things unduly complicated in my hands. In an actual tabletop session you could probably get across a reversal of expectations better than in a straight prose format like we have. At least for me it's like that.  That and while not being totally predictable is nice subverting things isn't a requirement to do so. Besides, the Light really is a force of universal good and healing and the Shadow one of universal horror in the Freedom City omniverse. The individual champions might be bent, but that's the simple nature behind those two.

It's an excuse to make one light-powered superhero seem that much odder and more miraculous, and a world where almost everyone is touched by the power of darkness seems like the best way to do it.

I'm planning a thing where a character with light powers(probably Young Britannia hi Tiff!) goes to an alternate Earth where powers tied to darkness are the effective norm.

So, what besides the obvious historical shifts should I keep in mind? And is this fitting with established alternate worlds? The reason why the world is the way it is has two main roots: a quirk of natural selection that led to human vision becoming much more effective in the dark and making them much more comfortable in it, and rituals enacted by the Earth's Master Mages who made seemingly peaceful contact with the creatures living in the Shadow-World; they've drawn the universe almost into the dark abyss to hide from evil forces in the omniverse. Thus, the Schattenwelt infest almost every corner of that world and has awakened the powers of most of the world's superhumans, save for a few struggling to keep alive the Light.

(All the above not final, as issues do crop up)

I'm digging it! My first question from this idea, and extrapolations added, is what kind of omniversal evil would necessitate drawing that universe toward the Shadow? Chthonic horrors (I'm biased I'll admit!)? Omega? Battle brutes? Una? Walmart?

The possibilities are endless. If the place is swarming with shadow creatures and super undead, that suggests to me the universe was either vulnerable or faced a major threat that forced the Master Mages to act in such a dire fashion.